Uniforms 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
Bobcatsinmso
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Missoula MT, Bozeman MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".


Go Cats Go! FTG

User avatar
Cledus
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Cledus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.



User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7626
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Common Cat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Spokane

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Common Cat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am
Common Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:56 pm
My yearly duty to ruffle the feathers of some of you. Any chances we will see some new alternates this year? We can always hope for an 84 throwback.
Oh Ryan - you are always welcome to ruffle my feathers :D
HA!


@rfoley77

User avatar
HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.



User avatar
Cledus
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Cledus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Image

I don't know if this would look any good on a helmet or if it would look retarded and gimmicky, but I wonder if they ever tried chroming the cat head logo or the Cats script.



User avatar
Helcat72
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3430
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm

I'd like to see a golden chrome helmet with either the script "Cats" or the Bobcat on the sides. Even the "M" would look good in chrome.


2018...Bobcats getting there

User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5679
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by catatac » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm
Image

I don't know if this would look any good on a helmet or if it would look retarded and gimmicky, but I wonder if they ever tried chroming the cat head logo or the Cats script.
Dang, I love that image. I tried to use that for my Avatar but when I shrink it down to the usable size it looks like crap. Any pointers? I've been meaning to change mine for years.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
Cledus
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Cledus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Everyone seems to have a different favorite, so if you were to ask whoever does the uniforms they would probably say they've succeeded.

My personal favorite are the yellows we wore against WIU and SDSU with the white helmet and pants. I love our current whites with the blue and gold stripes. But I'd love to see a pure white head-to-toe uni, with the only color being the cat head / M outline on the helmet and the player's number.

Image



User avatar
Cledus
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Cledus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 pm

I like the script part, but the bottom swoosh doesn't look quite right. It will need some monkeying around to get it right.

Image



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8003
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.



User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am

John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.
I don't care either way, but your point of most abs teams, how about Alabama and Penn State.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am
John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.
I don't care either way, but your point of most abs teams, how about Alabama and Penn State.
I also left out USC and Notre Dame.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8003
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 am
allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am
John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.
I don't care either way, but your point of most abs teams, how about Alabama and Penn State.
I also left out USC and Notre Dame.
I said "most', not "all", and it's FBS, not ABS, but the point I was trying to make, is that it's absurd to think that players will be any less team focused, just because they have their names on their uniforms. Actually the stupidest reason for not having the names on the uniforms, is because we don't want to copy UM. What they do, shouldn't have any relevance at all on what we do. That ship has already sailed anyway, if that's anyone's big concern, as they first puts names on the uniforms before us back in the late 90's. Then they took off the names before we did, a few years ago. Now they've put them back on again, but I don't think we should not do something, just because we don't want to be like them.
Last edited by John K on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Bobcatsinmso
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Missoula MT, Bozeman MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.


There is a reason not to put the names on uniforms, it is to save money and piss off a few fans... :lol: I get the feeling that even if coach Choate were to publicly explain the reason for numbers only on uniforms some would still be upset about it. Try not to take it personally though, because that would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... :roll:


Go Cats Go! FTG

catscat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by catscat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 am

allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am
John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.
I don't care either way, but your point of most abs teams, how about Alabama and Penn State.
Unless you know that Alabama is taking the names off of the back of their uniforms for 2019, they had them there in 2018.

Coach Choate has stated that one reason for not having the names on the back of the uniforms is that he wants the players to play for the name on the front of the uniform. Personally, I don't feel that's a valid reason. If Coach Choate doesn't think he can motivate the players to play for Montana State University while their name is on the back of their uniform, he may not be the leader we give him credit for being. You may disagree - that's your prerogative. He's also indicated that cost is a factor. Perhaps it is - I don't know how expensive it may be. Nor do I know what's being provided the program with the expense saved.

While I probably know as many players by number as most fans, I do appreciate having the names on the back of the uniforms. I particularly find it useful while watching games on TV as there are often times when the name is visible and the number is not.
Last edited by catscat on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8003
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.


There is a reason not to put the names on uniforms, it is to save money and piss off a few fans... :lol: I get the feeling that even if coach Choate were to publicly explain the reason for numbers only on uniforms some would still be upset about it. Try not to take it personally though, because that would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... :roll:
I stand corrected, not putting names on the uniforms just to "piss off a few fans"...that would truly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, and I have no idea how much the additional cost is, but I really can't imagine that it's a significant amount. I just honestly don't understand why some fans are so opposed to it. Yes, some fans would probably still disagree with it, even if Coach Choate explained his reasoning. So what...we aren't allowed to disagree with him?



catscat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by catscat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
The "gizz" program has not had names on their uniforms for years. So the switch to no names on ours was a switch to match the "gizz." It seems you are trying to say you want to be different from them while advocating being the same.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8003
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 am

catscat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 am
allcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:50 am
John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
Is there any documentation of guys standing on the sidelines reading each other’s names and not paying attention to the game? Or are you repeating coach speak just because?
It is the head Coaches decision, why do you think he chooses not to put individual names on the uniforms? Or do you think its " just because".
Yes, I know it’s the head coach’s decision. But you invoked the “No I in Team” cliche without mentioning the head coach, so you implied this is what you believe.

Having names on jerseys is helpful to casual fans watching the games who don’t have every last detail about the team committed to memory. I know a few players’ numbers but not all of them and I don’t like taking my eyes off the game to look them up. I don’t know anyone else’s reasons for wanting names on jerseys but I’m guessing they would be pretty close to mine.
Print off a good roster and laminate it, then keep it with your at the game, you will learn who is who pretty quickly.

In my experience a lot of times when a guy next to me doesn't know a players number, when you tell them the name of the player they still don't know who he is.
Ok - let's not do individualized player intros then. Let's also not have the announcers say "Tackle by Filer....pass caught by Kassis....TD by Ifanse" We should all know who they are.

I get what you're saying, but it does make it easier for us to know who they are - especially my little guys, who are probably more in tune with who each player is than the casual fan.
If the uniform/helmet designs matter to the players/fans, then the name on the back probably matters too. Should it matter? Yes! These guys work hard to get to where they are - give them some recognition.....especially the guys in the trenches that won't get their named announced for a TD or tackle.

Just my opinion - I will support whatever Choate decides to do - for whatever reason he decides to do it (finances, message to the team, etc.) I just like to have the names on the back.
Thank you. There is no good reason not to put the names on the uniforms. The "there is no I in team" cliche is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Telling us to bring a laminated roster into the game with us is a close 2nd though. I'm a pretty avid fan. I've had season tickets for 15 years and only missed a handful of home games during that time. It does help to learn the player's names earlier in the season, especially the players who don't play as much. Most of the big time FBS teams have names on the uniforms, and it doesn't seem to detract from their performance on the field too much.
I don't care either way, but your point of most abs teams, how about Alabama and Penn State.
Unless you know that Alabama is taking the names off of the back of their uniforms for 2019, they had them there in 2018.

Coach Choate has stated that one reason for not having the names on the back of the uniforms is that he wants the players to play for the name on the front of the uniform. Personally, I don't feel that's a valid reason. If Coach Choate doesn't think he can motivate the players to play for Montana State University while their name is on the back of their uniform, he may not be the leader we give him credit for being. You may disagree - that's your prerogative. He's also indicated that cost is a factor. Perhaps it is - I don't know how expensive it may be. No do I know what's being provided the program with the expense saved.

While I probably know as many players by number as most fans, I do appreciate having the names on the back of the uniforms. I particularly find it useful while watching games on TV as there are often times when the name is visible and the number is not.
I was pretty sure that Alabama had names on their uniforms, and I didn't know they were taking them off again for the 2019 season. I almost said that he was wrong about Alabama, but I didn't want to say that without being 100% certain, so I was going to look it up online and then come back and edit my post, but you beat me to it. Again, that's not really relevant. I was just trying to make the point that many of the top FBS teams have names on their uniforms, so apparently it is possible to get your team to play at a high level, and to play as a team, even with names on the uniforms. I doubt that the players really care that much one way or the other. It's much more of a fan issue, than a player issue.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8003
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 am

catscat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
The "gizz" program has not had names on their uniforms for years. So the switch to no names on ours was a switch to match the "gizz." It seems you are trying to say you want to be different from them while advocating being the same.
UM just put the names on again last year, when BH came back.



Post Reply