Fall camp 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Fall camp 2019

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am
For those of you who have had the chance to watch camp, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how Bauman is setting in at QB and the large amount of depth at MLB. Seven guys for two spots must bring in a lot of competitive energy. Now the young but STRONG freshman is switching to RB. Which also leads me to ask if we have another TA situation where we see him move back to MLB after a few graduates move on?
I'd love to hear peoples opinions as well. I was able to attend the first four practices and haven't made it to one since. #-o
The Monday practice right after Bauman was announced as a starter, there was a noticeable difference in him getting more reps. I have seen him definitely become more assertive at each practice. I notice the 1st team offense players going to him and talking talking with him on the sidelines when they are not in. As far as his play, he is improving each day. Looks more relaxed and confident. . Early on you could see him going to one receiver. Now he seems to be going thru the progressions. He still has work to do but is coming along very quickly. I thought he looked much better in this scrimmage than the first. Will be interesting to see how he handles the intense pressure he is going to get at Texas Tech. I think we will have a good read on him after that game. Just my opinion.

As far as MLB, it seems every day in practice different individuals make great plays. It is confusing to judge as they shuffle them in and out on 11 on 11s. Like Choate said, it is going to be a tough decision to come up with a depth chart. Yes, the competitive energy is intense. It seems to raise the level of them all.

Too early to tell on where Jahari Martin will end up. He is going to open some eyes at RB for sure. He has quick feet and is fast for a guy his size. Wherever he ends up, he will be a force. Great problem to have.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:17 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
For those of you who have had the chance to watch camp, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how Bauman is setting in at QB and the large amount of depth at MLB. Seven guys for two spots must bring in a lot of competitive energy. Now the young but STRONG freshman is switching to RB. Which also leads me to ask if we have another TA situation where we see him move back to MLB after a few graduates move on?
I'd love to hear peoples opinions as well. I was able to attend the first four practices and haven't made it to one since. #-o
The Monday practice right after Bauman was announced as a starter, there was a noticeable difference in him getting more reps. I have seen him definitely become more assertive at each practice. I notice the 1st team offense players going to him and talking talking with him on the sidelines when they are not in. As far as his play, he is improving each day. Looks more relaxed and confident. . Early on you could see him going to one receiver. Now he seems to be going thru the progressions. He still has work to do but is coming along very quickly. I thought he looked much better in this scrimmage than the first. Will be interesting to see how he handles the intense pressure he is going to get at Texas Tech. I think we will have a good read on him after that game. Just my opinion.

As far as MLB, it seems every day in practice different individuals make great plays. It is confusing to judge as they shuffle them in and out on 11 on 11s. Like Choate said, it is going to be a tough decision to come up with a depth chart. Yes, the competitive energy is intense. It seems to raise the level of them all.

Too early to tell on where Jahari Martin will end up. He is going to open some eyes at RB for sure. He has quick feet and is fast for a guy his size. Wherever he ends up, he will be a force. Great problem to have.
Thank you. This is great stuff. A couple friends echoed what you sad about CB. The offense really seems to be behind him and he has full confidence of teammates and staff. Matt Miller is exactly who we need leading this group of guys.

And I'm not sure that people are fully aware of just how good this defense is going to be. \:D/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:29 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I heard that he was nervous at this last scrimmage. One on hand you've seen other young MSU QBs in similar situations be able to handle that with no problem. What I think is unique in Bauman's case are the expectations of this team. When Lulay took over it was mid-season and MSU was struggling and didn't have near the expectations, it was more of a nothing to lose situation. McGhee, like Bauman, was named the starter at the beginning, but MSU barely finished over .500 the year before and had missed the playoffs for three straight years. Murray took over late, but the season was all but lost by then, so he had nothing to lose. Andersen was pretty much forced into it, so again, that's a different mindset.

This team has a different mindset coming off a playoff win and entering with a top 15 ranking in almost every poll.

Sometimes it's good to have to go through this. You get battle tested. Your confidence is real. When something goes haywire, you can handle it better. If everything was working out peachy, what would happen if suddenly adversity set in and you hadn't gone through it yet?

Bauman has had to beat out an upperclassman, he's had to deal with constant scrutiny. Those are things that could make him stronger once he progresses through them. A lot of people think it's easy and that you just buckle up your chin strap and meet the challenge head on without looking back, but not everyone is wired that way. Some people need to test and re-test everything before they accept that they're good at something.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:29 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I heard that he was nervous at this last scrimmage. One on hand you've seen other young MSU QBs in similar situations be able to handle that with no problem. What I think is unique in Bauman's case are the expectations of this team. When Lulay took over it was mid-season and MSU was struggling and didn't have near the expectations, it was more of a nothing to lose situation. McGhee, like Bauman, was named the starter at the beginning, but MSU barely finished over .500 the year before and had missed the playoffs for three straight years. Murray took over late, but the season was all but lost by then, so he had nothing to lose. Andersen was pretty much forced into it, so again, that's a different mindset.

This team has a different mindset coming off a playoff win and entering with a top 15 ranking in almost every poll.

Sometimes it's good to have to go through this. You get battle tested. Your confidence is real. When something goes haywire, you can handle it better. If everything was working out peachy, what would happen if suddenly adversity set in and you hadn't gone through it yet?

Bauman has had to beat out an upperclassman, he's had to deal with constant scrutiny. Those are things that could make him stronger once he progresses through them. A lot of people think it's easy and that you just buckle up your chin strap and meet the challenge head on without looking back, but not everyone is wired that way. Some people need to test and re-test everything before they accept that they're good at something.
I thought he was nervous in the first scrimmage. Looked much more confident in his first series in the second scrimmage. Was a noticeable difference.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:46 am

Can we stop calling him CB. Everytime I see that I think we're talking about cornerback and it confuses me for a sec.whats his middle name? Maybe we can do C?B.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:41 am

lutecat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:46 am
Can we stop calling him CB. Everytime I see that I think we're talking about cornerback and it confuses me for a sec.whats his middle name? Maybe we can do C?B.
That’s a big 10-4, but I can’t deal with that right now cuz I gotta Smokey on my tail and I’m about a mile outta Shakytown. Them bears are thick as bugs on a bumper. They even got bear in the air. And I just passed 11 long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:41 am
That’s a big 10-4, but I can’t deal with that right now cuz I gotta Smokey on my tail and I’m about a mile outta Shakytown. Them bears are thick as bugs on a bumper. They even got bear in the air. And I just passed 11 long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.
Thanks for the laugh CW. 😂

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 am

lutecat wrote:
Agreed, he needs a nickname. What was Jamie Foxx on “Any Given Sunday?” “Steamin” Willie Beamen?

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 am
lutecat wrote:
Agreed, he needs a nickname. What was Jamie Foxx on “Any Given Sunday?” “Steamin” Willie Beamen?

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?
We could also just type out his name. Crazy, I know. But hear me out. It’s not much effort to type and auto fill will probably pick it up.

Ditto for other people’s user names in these discussions. The few extra seconds you’d spend typing weren’t going to be spent on anything meaningful.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?
We could also just type out his name. Crazy, I know. But hear me out. It’s not much effort to type and auto fill will probably pick it up.

Ditto for other people’s user names in these discussions. The few extra seconds you’d spend typing weren’t going to be spent on anything meaningful.
Somebody hasn't had their coffee yet...

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 am
Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

It has nothing to do with coffee. It's been a pet peeve of mine for awhile. It's one thing to shorten up Cat the Other White Meat to CTOWM. It's quite another thing to say CB, which could mean about anything.

But you can't really say anything because you'll get brigaded hard. It's just kind of annoying to pick up a thread and there are so many initials being used throughout you spend a lot of time going back to try and find the origin.

Help out the people at work who try and sneak some quick glances and who don't have limitless amounts of time to reread several pages of content.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:43 am
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

It has nothing to do with coffee. It's been a pet peeve of mine for awhile. It's one thing to shorten up Cat the Other White Meat to CTOWM. It's quite another thing to say CB, which could mean about anything.

But you can't really say anything because you'll get brigaded hard. It's just kind of annoying to pick up a thread and there are so many initials being used throughout you spend a lot of time going back to try and find the origin.

Help out the people at work who try and sneak some quick glances and who don't have limitless amounts of time to reread several pages of content.
I can give you some clues to help you with these acronyms. Seems easier to fix you then forcing everyone else to change. Kind of like, everyone else changing their bathroom habits because one guy decides to wear a skirt for the rest of his life. So, if someone says CB and they are discussing arm strength, poise, really any character related traits they mean Bauman. If they are talking athleticism, reading a QB, things of that nature they are probably referring to our CBs but most on here would probably not talk so generally and would refer to each CB by name.

Hmm, maybe I’m seeing where the confusion comes in.

Let’s try an exercise, if you can decipher the following message you should be ready to navigate BN acronyms...

I’m excited about CB stepping into the QB position so TA can play LB. Our D is gonna be tough with him on that side of the ball. Our DLs had me nervous after guys like TY graduated but they are looking tough and we might have as good a group of CBs as we’ve ever had. I tell you what, JC has been like the second coming of JC to this team!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 am

Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

I hardly ever do anything meaningful, is this a putdown of lazy retired people. I need to know to decide if I take offense or not. Probably too much work.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am
Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

I can give you some clues to help you with these acronyms. Seems easier to fix you then forcing everyone else to change. Kind of like, everyone else changing their bathroom habits because one guy decides to wear a skirt for the rest of his life. So, if someone says CB and they are discussing arm strength, poise, really any character related traits they mean Bauman. If they are talking athleticism, reading a QB, things of that nature they are probably referring to our CBs but most on here would probably not talk so generally and would refer to each CB by name.

Let’s try an exercise, if you can decipher the following message you should be ready to navigate BN acronyms...

I’m excited about CB stepping into the QB position so TA can play LB. Our D is gonna be tough with him on that side of the ball. Our DLs had me nervous after guys like TY graduated but they are looking tough and we might have as good a group of CBs as we’ve ever had. I tell you what, JC has been like the second coming of JC to this team!
But why is CB playing defense?? And how do we have more than one of him?? :lol:

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am
utucats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am
Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

But why is CB playing defense?? And how do we have more than one of him?? :lol:
:lol: I know it’s confusing but I saved 12 seconds by not typing everyone’s name out.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 am

Bah. CB (Bauman) will always be singular, or possesive. It's being used as a noun.

CBs (cornerbacks) will usually be plural, or have a definitive article (the, that, a, etc) in front of it.

CB threw the ball right to the opposing CB! CB trucked that CB!

The context of the sentence should make it obvious. Just follow basic English rules.

/Football really needs to start soon

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 am
Bah. CB (Bauman) will always be singular, or possesive. It's being used as a noun.

CBs (cornerbacks) will usually be plural, or have a definitive article (the, that, a, etc) in front of it.

The context of the sentence should make it obvious. Just follow basic English rules.

That was a great explanation B99.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 am

Cledus wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
lutecat wrote:

“Bombin” Casey Bauman?

I post more on the computer than on the phone, so no autofill. Also there are grammar nazis around here that have a fit if you misspell the name so its still CB for me

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

Spelling and grammar are two different things.

/Okay, okay, I'm done with the English lessons for today.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 am

Sadly, the days of people using proper English are went.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play