Max Lenzy Commits! 5-10, 170lbs CB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Max Lenzy Commits! 5-10, 170lbs CB

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am
Getting back to Lenzy. He’s just another example of Choate’s recruiting and coaching prowess.

He has brought in 36 3-star or higher recruits since he got here. After a slow (2-7 overall, 0-6 Big Sky) start, he’s 15-11 and 12-6. That’s a huge turnaround.
Serious question, how many has he retained? Seems like a ton have left or quit. You keep talking about his amazing coaching prowess when there seems to be a lot of turnover in both players and coaches
The roster talent has visibly and tangibly improved each season under Choate, as has the team's production.

4-7; 2-6 > 5-6; 5-3 > 8-5; 5-3 + 1-1 in the playoffs.

Heading into 2019, I believe there are only four starters or key contributors left who did not join the team under Choate: Mitch Brott, Alex Neale, Logan Jones, and Brayden Konkol. Anyone is free to let me know if I missed someone.

So as the team has become more entirely composed of Choate era acquisitions, it has improved. That's the measure of good recruiting. Any one commitment can turn out to be over-hyped fluff-- for the Cats or the Griz or any other program in the country. But if the general talent level of recruiting classes is high, the general impact will be positive.
Neale was a Choate recruit and he used up his eligibility last year.

Good catch. Make that only three starters or major contributors.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:58 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Getting back to Lenzy. He’s just another example of Choate’s recruiting and coaching prowess.

He has brought in 36 3-star or higher recruits since he got here. After a slow (2-7 overall, 0-6 Big Sky) start, he’s 15-11 and 12-6. That’s a huge turnaround.
Serious question, how many has he retained? Seems like a ton have left or quit. You keep talking about his amazing coaching prowess when there seems to be a lot of turnover in both players and coaches
As has been mentioned before, the player attrition at MSU doesn't seem to be much higher than average for most programs. This is year 4 under Choate. He finally has all of his own recruits in the program with the exception of some 5th year guys. A lot of the attrition is guys that got buried on the depth chart behind some of the great recruits Choate has brought in, or guys that didn't buy in. That's always going to happen. As for the coaches, nearly every coach that has left since Choate came on has moved on to something bigger or better. Don't see how that's a problem.
Agree with all you said. Attrition is normal and part of the game. I was specifically addressing iaafan’s comment that Choate and his amazing “coaching prowess” has brought in 36 3-star kids since he’s been here. I was pointing out the fact that about a dozen of those same 3-stars are no longer around. He claimed 4 and I proved him wrong. I’d say a great coach not only brings in the big recruits but keeps them. That was my entire point.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:59 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:27 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:04 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:52 am
He would have dominated if he had his head screwed on right at the time.
He’s playing very well on a very good non-P5 team. See CatGrad link. He would’ve tore up the Big Sky.

A sure sign of a troll is someone who continually says things without doing any research.
Was very aware of all of his accomplishments since getting kicked off of his second college football Team. That has nothing to do with what we were discussing here, the absolute overhype of a recruit. He came to Bozeman with a ****** ton of baggage and yet you guys thought you were going to win a national championship from that one guy 😂
Like everyone on egriz when you added one o-lineman last week...

:lol:
I already claimed Griz fans do it too. All fans do. Maybe go back and read this thread first.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

The roster talent has visibly and tangibly improved each season under Choate, as has the team's production.

4-7; 2-6 > 5-6; 5-3 > 8-5; 5-3 + 1-1 in the playoffs.

Heading into 2019, I believe there are only four starters or key contributors left who did not join the team under Choate: Mitch Brott, Alex Neale, Logan Jones, and Brayden Konkol. Anyone is free to let me know if I missed someone.

So as the team has become more entirely composed of Choate era acquisitions, it has improved. That's the measure of good recruiting. Any one commitment can turn out to be over-hyped fluff-- for the Cats or the Griz or any other program in the country. But if the general talent level of recruiting classes is high, the general impact will be positive.
Completely agree with your post

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 am
The kid goes to a Cal camp and you think one of our former coaches is recruiting him to MSU? I would say probably not...

And the last time you brought up GA, you weren’t exactly speculating. You made a statement that “GA was close with him (Hayden Schu)”, like you recently talked to GA. A little google search and you have seen that Schu played for Choate at UW.

And I wasn’t going to say anything about your first post, but when did you become Mel Kiper? Once again, we land a top notch recruit and your FIRST COMMENT, is undersized and slow??? I for one couldn’t give a rats ass about your analysis. Your are not Mel Kiper. Maybe just be a Bobcat fan actually enjoy the fact that we landed one of the most highly touted prospects in the NW.
Dude... get over it.

These hissy fits over comments that aren't 100% sunshine and rainbows are ridiculous. All he did was give a little bit of perspective on a kid that, by his own affirmation, is a great get for the Cats.
Hey Gato. I know you have a whopping 110 posts and have had some nice posts, but don't you think it is a little early to start telling people what they can and cannot post? I have been a dedicated Cat fan through both good times and bad. I suffered through the streak and was a student at MSU when it started. I come here to see what people are thinking about our team, both good and bad. Now when posts about the program or players is regularly negative (especially by a specific poster), I have a problem with that. If a kid drops 3 catchable passes in a game, I can understand people getting upset about that. But when highly touted prospects sign with the Cats and the first comments are too slow, too small, not tall enough (or a guy has a weak arm, etc), I have a problem with that... And I have earned the right to take issue with that, both as a dedicated fan, longtime season ticket holder and financial contributor.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The kid goes to a Cal camp and you think one of our former coaches is recruiting him to MSU? I would say probably not...

And the last time you brought up GA, you weren’t exactly speculating. You made a statement that “GA was close with him (Hayden Schu)”, like you recently talked to GA. A little google search and you have seen that Schu played for Choate at UW.

And I wasn’t going to say anything about your first post, but when did you become Mel Kiper? Once again, we land a top notch recruit and your FIRST COMMENT, is undersized and slow??? I for one couldn’t give a rats ass about your analysis. Your are not Mel Kiper. Maybe just be a Bobcat fan actually enjoy the fact that we landed one of the most highly touted prospects in the NW.
Dude... get over it.

These hissy fits over comments that aren't 100% sunshine and rainbows are ridiculous. All he did was give a little bit of perspective on a kid that, by his own affirmation, is a great get for the Cats.
Hey Gato. I know you have a whopping 110 posts and have had some nice posts, but don't you think it is a little early to start telling people what they can and cannot post? I have been a dedicated Cat fan through both good times and bad. I suffered through the streak and was a student at MSU when it started. I come here to see what people are thinking about our team, both good and bad. Now when posts about the program or players is regularly negative (especially by a specific poster), I have a problem with that. If a kid drops 3 catchable passes in a game, I can understand people getting upset about that. But when highly touted prospects sign with the Cats and the first comments are too slow, too small, not tall enough (or a guy has a weak arm, etc), I have a problem with that... And I have earned the right to take issue with that, both as a dedicated fan, longtime season ticket holder and financial contributor.
You're mischaracterizing what was said.

No one is questioning your fanhood.

Let me know when I reach the requisite post count necessary to tell you to put a sock in it.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:58 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

As has been mentioned before, the player attrition at MSU doesn't seem to be much higher than average for most programs. This is year 4 under Choate. He finally has all of his own recruits in the program with the exception of some 5th year guys. A lot of the attrition is guys that got buried on the depth chart behind some of the great recruits Choate has brought in, or guys that didn't buy in. That's always going to happen. As for the coaches, nearly every coach that has left since Choate came on has moved on to something bigger or better. Don't see how that's a problem.
Agree with all you said. Attrition is normal and part of the game. I was specifically addressing iaafan’s comment that Choate and his amazing “coaching prowess” has brought in 36 3-star kids since he’s been here. I was pointing out the fact that about a dozen of those same 3-stars are no longer around. He claimed 4 and I proved him wrong. I’d say a great coach not only brings in the big recruits but keeps them. That was my entire point.
Right I get what you were saying. Personally I think that the hype for a kid, who on paper and film looks like a great get is perfectly fine. Regardless of past guys who haven't worked out that were hyped up. No coach is going to keep all the big name recruits. Even Saban doesn't do that. You can't predict or control some things, like a guy not making grades or getting home sick or not being as mentally tough as he may need to be to stick. And I wouldn't hold transfers against a coach either, no matter their ability or previous rankings. Guys like Hale and Gardenhire were guys everyone knew might blow up in Choate's face. But the state of the defense was the main reason they were brought in. They're recruited sure, but it's not the same as a kid out of HS, to me anyway. And I think Choate has done a fantastic job of keeping his HS recruits in the program, star ratings or not.

Not knocking Ash, but a guy like Lenzy probably wouldn't have come on during his tenure, he had a few here and there, but Choate is bringing them in in bunches.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Dude... get over it.

Let me know when I reach the requisite post count necessary to tell you to put a sock in it.
Another standing 8 count for Pussaholic.....

Seriously when some of the most respected and appreciated Cats posters tell you to STFU then time to look in the mirror. It’s a message board full of opinions and varying thoughts. Think of it as an opinion board and many may have different ones than you. Quit being so damn offended by everything Nancy.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Dude... get over it.

Seriously when some of the most respected and appreciated Cats posters tell you to STFU then time to look in the mirror. It’s a message board full of opinions and varying thoughts. Think of it as an opinion board and many may have different ones than you. Quit being so damn offended by everything Nancy.
The Cat-Griz Game is on Pluto right now. Griz 14, Cats 0 right now.

And, oh yeah, you should take your own advice for all the same reasons.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Right I get what you were saying. Personally I think that the hype for a kid, who on paper and film looks like a great get is perfectly fine. Regardless of past guys who haven't worked out that were hyped up. No coach is going to keep all the big name recruits. Even Saban doesn't do that. You can't predict or control some things, like a guy not making grades or getting home sick or not being as mentally tough as he may need to be to stick. And I wouldn't hold transfers against a coach either, no matter their ability or previous rankings. Guys like Hale and Gardenhire were guys everyone knew might blow up in Choate's face. But the state of the defense was the main reason they were brought in. They're recruited sure, but it's not the same as a kid out of HS, to me anyway. And I think Choate has done a fantastic job of keeping his HS recruits in the program, star ratings or not.

Not knocking Ash, but a guy like Lenzy probably wouldn't have come on during his tenure, he had a few here and there, but Choate is bringing them in in bunches.
Yep I stated earlier in this thread this kid looks like the real deal, in spite of the typical over hypeness here. I think he’s a PAC12 kid all day if he was a little taller and faster. All Big Sky kind of kid for sure.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Yep I stated earlier in this thread this kid looks like the real deal, in spite of the typical over hypeness here. I think he’s a PAC12 kid all day if he was a little taller and faster. All Big Sky kind of kid for sure.
Nobody is overhyping him anymore than you are.

Griz 22, Cats 0 3:17 left in the half.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:03 pm

In case you’re still here, it’s now 22-7. Halftime.

toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

It’s always interesting watching one of these threads turn into a dumpster fire.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm
It’s always interesting watching one of these threads turn into a dumpster fire.

I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire. The Cats are down on the goal line to start fourth quarter. And Grizaddict must be watching. Haven’t heard from him for awhile.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:03 pm
In case you’re still here, it’s now 22-7. Halftime.
Man I started to get a feeling at this point in the deepest recesses of my soul. I paced around the living room close to 10,000 steps during this halftime alone.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:

I don’t think it’s a dumpster fire. The Cats are down on the goal line to start fourth quarter. And Grizaddict must be watching. Haven’t heard from him for awhile.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Keep me posted on the score. And in case GA isn't watching, he can read it here.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:33 pm
Isn't Derek Marks an Ash recruit? Or did he not redshirt?
He came in in the 2016 Class, so even if he committed the program under Ash, he signed under Choate, and I have him down as not using his redshirt.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Dude... get over it.

Hey gato. You can go ahead and post. GrizAgenda says you are one of the most respected posters here. That is quite the endorsement!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:53 am
Hope his brother wants to transfer from Notre Dame some day.
His brother, Braden, is very fast. Reportedly, he is planning on running track at Notre Dame eventually. Focusing on football right now. Max may not be as fast as his brother, but he has good speed and you gotta believe he has the potential to get faster. He ran an 11.49 100 last year. Not blazing, but fast.

Braden excels at the 200 and 400 taking second in both at state. He ran a 10.62 100 and claims a 4.4 40. I believe Max runs a 4.7, but he said he’s never run the 40 in an interview.

toM StUber