The best “#37” in the nation is Bryce Sterk

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: The best “#37” in the nation is Bryce Sterk

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 am
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 am
On Twitter the guy (Sam Herder) who wrote the story is being told by Griz fans that its a “big miss” on this and that Jesse Sims, who plays for UM, is better than Sterk.
I mean...there is a good conversation to have there. Jesse has sacrificed for his team his entire career by playing inside even though he's a more natural defensive end (specifically strong-side end in a 4-3). But even with that being said, I believe Bryce is better because he's just as physically gifted but can do more as a defender. He's more versatile than Jesse. I agree with Sam Herder on this.
Yeah the butt-hurt is flowing rapidly over there. I agree that Sims is a beast and might not have the flashy stats but he is a force on the DL no doubt about it. But Sterk has the ability to take over a game (4th quarter vs WIU and um) and is a different kind of athlete at this level. Herder is doing a great job with these countdowns and the coverage at the FCS level and is defending himself quite well vs these rabid griz fans.
Actually...my sneaky "take"? Derek Marks is a better football player than Jesse Sims.
I LOVE IT! Do not post this on twitter or over on eGriz though, I don't think they could handle it.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
On Twitter the guy (Sam Herder) who wrote the story is being told by Griz fans that its a “big miss” on this and that Jesse Sims, who plays for UM, is better than Sterk.
I mean...there is a good conversation to have there. Jesse has sacrificed for his team his entire career by playing inside even though he's a more natural defensive end (specifically strong-side end in a 4-3). But even with that being said, I believe Bryce is better because he's just as physically gifted but can do more as a defender. He's more versatile than Jesse. I agree with Sam Herder on this.
Yeah the butt-hurt is flowing rapidly over there. I agree that Sims is a beast and might not have the flashy stats but he is a force on the DL no doubt about it. But Sterk has the ability to take over a game (4th quarter vs WIU and um) and is a different kind of athlete at this level. Herder is doing a great job with these countdowns and the coverage at the FCS level and is defending himself quite well vs these rabid griz fans.
Actually...my sneaky "take"? Derek Marks is a better football player than Jesse Sims.
:shock: oh snap

During our 3-peat under Ash, we had guys arriving at the QB almost immediately after the snap. That plays up the other 2 levels and helps create consistent productivity from the LBs and back 4. Man I hope that's what we see again this year. That's fun.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I agree and might take it further. Would Sims even be a starter for the Cats? Both Sterk and Marks are better players. I think Benson might be a budding star for us this year and who know what we have in Scrempos and Williams inside. He would see the field a ton that's for sure but....
Jesse would 100% start for the Cats. I wouldn't take it THAT far. We actually don't really know what we have with Scrempos inside and Jesse is a better overall player than Chase AT THIS TIME. Amandre Williams isn't playing inside by the way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 am

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Derek is always in the mix for sure, if he is on the field - am looking forward to this defense this year with a strong LB core (which is where i feel we fell short last year for various reasons including injury).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 am

I am confused... Are the Cats not suppose to have a player that wears 37 because of the griz? And if they are allowed, does that player have to switch his number if he is good?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:35 am

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 am
I am confused... Are the Cats not suppose to have a player that wears 37 because of the griz? And if they are allowed, does that player have to switch his number if he is good?
Griz fans are very confused by this concept of possibly not having the best #37 in the state:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am

Sims would start at DT. Sims would not start at DE over Sterk, which is probably where Sims should be playing but hasn't had the opportunity.

I would take Sims any day on the Cats. But if you told me to choose between Sterk and Sims, regardless of position, well I'm taking Sterk.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am

RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I LOVE IT! Do not post this on twitter or over on eGriz though, I don't think they could handle it.

I honestly don’t think that should be too much of a controversy. Especially if you watch the Cat/Griz game from last year(which I have done more times than I care to admit).

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I agree and might take it further. Would Sims even be a starter for the Cats? Both Sterk and Marks are better players. I think Benson might be a budding star for us this year and who know what we have in Scrempos and Williams inside. He would see the field a ton that's for sure but....
Jesse would 100% start for the Cats. I wouldn't take it THAT far. We actually don't really know what we have with Scrempos inside and Jesse is a better overall player than Chase AT THIS TIME. Amandre Williams isn't playing inside by the way.
100% seems a bit overly certain. He would see time for sure, but let’s just see what our D line looks like in a game this season and see if he looks like he could hang.

I’m leaving room for that uncertainty in what we have in Scrempos (and what Benson looks like after an off season).

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
100% seems a bit overly certain. He would see time for sure, but let’s just see what our D line looks like in a game this season and see if he looks like he could hang.

I’m leaving room for that uncertainty in what we have in Scrempos (and what Benson looks like after an off season).
Jesse Sims is one of the best defensive lineman in the conference. He would 100% start for the Cats. Ask any coach in the Big Sky and they would tell you the same thing.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Jesse Sims is one of the best defensive lineman in the conference. He would 100% start for the Cats. Ask any coach in the Big Sky and they would tell you the same thing.
Genuine question, not being a contrarian: Do you really think there’s no chance Scrempos will be better than Sims when he comes on board? Or are you saying that you would start him over Marks despite your earlier comment.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am
VimSince03 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Genuine question, not being a contrarian: Do you really think there’s no chance Scrempos will be better than Sims when he comes on board? Or are you saying that you would start him over Marks despite your earlier comment.
I would start Jesse Sims over Chase Benson. I would hypothetically roll out Marks, Scrempos, Sims, and Sterk. However, I'm not even sure at this time that Scrempos is better than Chase so Benson could start over him in the above scenario.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am
VimSince03 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I would start Jesse Sims over Chase Benson. I would hypothetically roll out Marks, Scrempos, Sims, and Sterk. However, I'm not even sure at this time that Scrempos is better than Chase so Benson could start over him in the above scenario.
That’s fair enough. I have to admit, I haven’t watched a ton of Sims (outside Cat/Griz), so my certainty is going to be different than yours, I just thought 100% was a little high considering Marks, Sterk, and Benson returning with Williams and Scrempos coming in.

Regardless, I am very excited about our D line this year!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
This had me confused, I thought they were the same class. I can't believe Sims is already a Senior, seems like he JUST signed over there two years ago!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:03 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
This had me confused, I thought they were the same class. I can't believe Sims is already a Senior, seems like he JUST signed over there two years ago!
Sims was a victim of Stitt, who recruited so poorly that he ended up putting him at DT. What a shame. Hopefully for Sims, Hauck will move him to DE for his final year.

If UM hadn’t beat NDSU, his record at UM would be empty. One of his friends told me Stitt tried to run up the score every chance he got unless it was blatantly obvious. Before the 2016 Cat-Griz game he told me Stitt said he wanted to score 80. He came up 63 short. UM was very smart to get rid of him. He would’ve completely ruined that program.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am

VimSince03 wrote:

This is actually correct. I would say Marks is probably our most underrated player.

The entire #37 jizz institution is from a bygone era now. It has been dying hand-in-hand with their football program for many years now.

We own the state now.