College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6462
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm
So the have the Griz #15 or better. Ridiculous :)
Are you not aware they are coming off a 2001 championship season?
Nineteen years ago...and they still haven't fallen as far as Eastern Kentucky fell after all their great years. The fan base over there is mellowing somewhat but they still have a few really obnoxious expatriated graduates/fans. Don't run into many diehard Griz fans anymore who actually went to school there in the state. Their more obnoxious fans now seem to be transplants who moved to the state during their run of success in the conference or a few affiliated with the school in a work environment. Funny how so many seem to live their lives vicariously through a school they have no real ties to other than work.



User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7481
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm

After going 7-5 this year and missing the playoffs, they should fall to around #15 in next year's pre-season poll.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm
So the have the Griz #15 or better. Ridiculous :)
Are you not aware they are coming off a 2001 championship season?
And with few losses to graduation, have more than half the players returning from that team.



User avatar
codecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Laurel

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by codecat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:47 am

#15 Sam Houston State FCS Football-2019 Preview (Bearlats)
#2 Southland
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17710

Finished 2018 outisde the Stats, Hero, and CSM polls, but starting 2019 #23 in the Stats, #20 in the Hero, and #15 here.
Sam Houston State will want to quickly put the 2018 season behind them. The Bearkats struggled to a disappointing, by their standards, 6-5 campaign. In K.C. Keeler’s previous four seasons leading the program, SHSU reached the semifinals of the playoffs three times and the quarterfinals once. Not making the playoffs is not acceptable and this group has something to prove.


What is pro Human Rights about assisting the Cartels in promoting drug, human, and gang trafficking?

wapiti
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by wapiti » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am

It's a preseason ranking. Don't put too much stock in it.

The polls and rankings will take care of themselves as the season progresses.

If the griz are worthy of a top 15 ranking they will prove it. Remember we barely beat them last season. So they are not much different then we are for a ranking.



User avatar
codecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Laurel

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by codecat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:01 am

#14 Towson FCS Football-2019 Preview (Tigers)
#3 CAA
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17713

Finished 2018 #20 and #19 in the Stats and Hero polls but out of the CSM, but the polls are optimistic in 2019 with Stats at #11, Hero at #10, and CSM at 14.
Towson got off to a great start last season. In the middle of October they were sitting at 6-1 with wins over then top 15 ranked Villanova and Stony Brook. Their only loss came at Wake Forest. But then the schedule got even tougher and the Tigers lost three of their last four regular season contests. And, even more disappointingly, Towson lost at home in the first round of the playoffs to Duquesne by a score of 31-10. However, after missing the playoffs for four straight seasons, the 2018 campaign was a good stepping stone to better things to come in 2019.


What is pro Human Rights about assisting the Cartels in promoting drug, human, and gang trafficking?

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 pm
Location: Whiskey Buttes

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by Marana CAT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am
It's a preseason ranking. Don't put too much stock in it.

The polls and rankings will take care of themselves as the season progresses.

If the griz are worthy of a top 15 ranking they will prove it. Remember we barely beat them last season. So they are not much different then we are for a ranking.
Totally agree. Looks like UM will come in at 11,12 or 13. They have an unpredictable, possibility dangerous team. Best thing is a little extra fuel to the fire never hurts. I like our chances and truly believe we have the better team on paper before the season starts and we have the horses to definitely win a 4th State Championship and a run at the BSC Title..UM has talent but they are not deep enough on both sides of the LOS.. CATS are!!!!


"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am

For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.



DriscollCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am
For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.
I don’t think it’s a prediction of the final conference standings. I think, especially in a conference like the BSC, the better team could have a worse record.

For the record, I think they are dead wrong on where they see MSU vs um, as do all the other preseason polls, but I think they are just saying they think the Griz will be the better team, not necessarily the better record.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am
For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.
I don’t think it’s a prediction of the final conference standings. I think, especially in a conference like the BSC, the better team could have a worse record.

For the record, I think they are dead wrong on where they see MSU vs um, as do all the other preseason polls, but I think they are just saying they think the Griz will be the better team, not necessarily the better record.
They’re also predicting their conference finish.



DriscollCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am
For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.
I don’t think it’s a prediction of the final conference standings. I think, especially in a conference like the BSC, the better team could have a worse record.

For the record, I think they are dead wrong on where they see MSU vs um, as do all the other preseason polls, but I think they are just saying they think the Griz will be the better team, not necessarily the better record.
They’re also predicting their conference finish.
I’m not trying to be difficult, but I don’t think that’s what their doing. I see that they have the BSC rank below the overall rank, but note that in the “bottom line” paragraph, they say:
If the quarterback situation can get sorted out quickly, the Bobcats could not only compete for a spot in the playoffs, but also a Big Sky title. The schedule is quite kind too...
This indicates that they believe MSU could end at the #1 spot on the conference, if only because of an easier schedule.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am
For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.
I don’t think it’s a prediction of the final conference standings. I think, especially in a conference like the BSC, the better team could have a worse record.

For the record, I think they are dead wrong on where they see MSU vs um, as do all the other preseason polls, but I think they are just saying they think the Griz will be the better team, not necessarily the better record.
They’re also predicting their conference finish.
I’m not trying to be difficult, but I don’t think that’s what their doing. I see that they have the BSC rank below the overall rank, but note that in the “bottom line” paragraph, they say:
If the quarterback situation can get sorted out quickly, the Bobcats could not only compete for a spot in the playoffs, but also a Big Sky title. The schedule is quite kind too...
This indicates that they believe MSU could end at the #1 spot on the conference, if only because of an easier schedule.
That’s a good idea for this time year. That way they aren’t tied to their picks.



User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am

Now we're past #14. Maybe the Griz aren't in the top 44?


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

DriscollCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1437
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:02 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:22 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am
For UM to be ranked ahead of MSU they either have them tied at 6-2 in the league with win over MSU or MSU at 5-3. For them to be tied UM’s only losses must be to EWU, UC Davis with a win over Weber and MSU’s only other loss to Davis. Either that or MSU with losses to UM, UC Davis and ?

I’m guessing the 6-2 thing, but not sure where Weber fits in since they’d have a loss to UM, so that’s probably going to move UM up to third.
I don’t think it’s a prediction of the final conference standings. I think, especially in a conference like the BSC, the better team could have a worse record.

For the record, I think they are dead wrong on where they see MSU vs um, as do all the other preseason polls, but I think they are just saying they think the Griz will be the better team, not necessarily the better record.
They’re also predicting their conference finish.
I’m not trying to be difficult, but I don’t think that’s what their doing. I see that they have the BSC rank below the overall rank, but note that in the “bottom line” paragraph, they say:
If the quarterback situation can get sorted out quickly, the Bobcats could not only compete for a spot in the playoffs, but also a Big Sky title. The schedule is quite kind too...
This indicates that they believe MSU could end at the #1 spot on the conference, if only because of an easier schedule.
That’s a good idea for this time year. That way they aren’t tied to their picks.
For sure



User avatar
mslacatfan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3991
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am

wow...

regarding the griz. either way this site/ranking just lost ALL credibility IMO. If the griz are #13 or higher... hahaha, what a joke. And if its the flip side, and not even in the top 44.... hahahaha, an even bigger joke.

For what it is worth, I would put the griz somewhere around 20 for a preseason ranking.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am
wow...

regarding the griz. either way this site/ranking just lost ALL credibility IMO. If the griz are #13 or higher... hahaha, what a joke. And if its the flip side, and not even in the top 44.... hahahaha, an even bigger joke.

For what it is worth, I would put the griz somewhere around 20 for a preseason ranking.
Agreed


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am
wow...

regarding the griz. either way this site/ranking just lost ALL credibility IMO. If the griz are #13 or higher... hahaha, what a joke. And if its the flip side, and not even in the top 44.... hahahaha, an even bigger joke.

For what it is worth, I would put the griz somewhere around 20 for a preseason ranking.
The rankings are really strange. Numbers 15, 16 and 19 all missed the playoffs last year. Number 14 Towson lost 4 of their last 5 games last year. Number 17 Maine made the Semis and Number 18 MSU one a first round game. It is like they are factoring in what team were stronger in the 1990’s and 2000’s and elevating their ranking as a result.

I took a closer look at some of the rankings and it makes even less sense. #16 Chattanooga was ranked ninth in offense last year in the Southern Conference. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. They lost 5 starters on defense and have a ridiculously hard schedule with James Madison, Jacksonville State, Wofford and Tennessee. Makes no sense.



User avatar
codecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Laurel

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by codecat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am

#13 Indiana State FCS Football-2019 Preview (Sycamores)
#4 Missouri Valley
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17717

Finished 2018 just outside the stats poll, #15 in the Hero, and outside the CSM poll. They start 2019 #16 in Stats, #18 in the Hero, and #13 here.
Indiana State was one of the best stories in all of football last year. During Coach Curt Mallory’s first season in 2017, the Sycamores went 0-11. Last year they turned it around and went 7-4 and were squarely on the playoff bubble. While it was disappointing to miss out on the playoffs, Indiana State won their last five games and head into 2018 with a lot of positive momentum.

The Bottom Line:
Indiana State has a manageable non-conference schedule with a trip to Kansas and home dates against Dayton, Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois. That contest against EKU will be huge with both programs having legitimate playoff hopes. The one conference opponent Indiana State does not face is North Dakota State. That should help with the win column. Games against South Dakota State and Illinois State on October 19th and October 26th could decide Indiana State’s playoff chances and their outside hopes to win a MVFC title.


What is pro Human Rights about assisting the Cartels in promoting drug, human, and gang trafficking?

MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by MSU01 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

The rankings are really strange. Numbers 15, 16 and 19 all missed the playoffs last year. Number 14 Towson lost 4 of their last 5 games last year. Number 17 Maine made the Semis and Number 18 MSU one a first round game. It is like they are factoring in what team were stronger in the 1990’s and 2000’s and elevating their ranking as a result.

I took a closer look at some of the rankings and it makes even less sense. #16 Chattanooga was ranked ninth in offense last year in the Southern Conference. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. They lost 5 starters on defense and have a ridiculously hard schedule with James Madison, Jacksonville State, Wofford and Tennessee. Makes no sense.
These rankings are in fact a little strange, but I appreciate that they're actually going out on a limb and predicting teams to substantially improve or regress rather than just regurgitating last year's end-of-season polls like most preseason rankings do. The great news is that we're only two weeks away from being able to throw the preseason polls out the window!


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25

User avatar
codecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Laurel

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by codecat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

The rankings are really strange. Numbers 15, 16 and 19 all missed the playoffs last year. Number 14 Towson lost 4 of their last 5 games last year. Number 17 Maine made the Semis and Number 18 MSU one a first round game. It is like they are factoring in what team were stronger in the 1990’s and 2000’s and elevating their ranking as a result.

I took a closer look at some of the rankings and it makes even less sense. #16 Chattanooga was ranked ninth in offense last year in the Southern Conference. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. They lost 5 starters on defense and have a ridiculously hard schedule with James Madison, Jacksonville State, Wofford and Tennessee. Makes no sense.
These rankings are in fact a little strange, but I appreciate that they're actually going out on a limb and predicting teams to substantially improve or regress rather than just regurgitating last year's end-of-season polls like most preseason rankings do. The great news is that we're only two weeks away from being able to throw the preseason polls out the window!

I do have to agree, sometimes strange but not much different than most other polls in that regard - what i like is that they give you the pertinent information as to last year, position gains and losses, a little write-up about the offense and defense, and last years relevant stats so a person can make up their own mind. Joe Welser has been a sports writer for as long as most of the others in the FCS that play with polls/predictions and of course has his opinion.


What is pro Human Rights about assisting the Cartels in promoting drug, human, and gang trafficking?

Post Reply