Preseason All Big Sky Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Preseason All Big Sky Team

Post by seataccat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Rovig was 6-9-1, 161 yards and a TD in the second half vs SDSU. Played well vs Wagner. 23-34-0, 310 yards and 3 touchdowns. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be great, but it’s promising.
Second team defense at SDSU and Wagner....well you may as well use MT Tech as they’d give them a run for their money. I have my reasons for Rovig doubts. It’s not just me either. We will see how it plays out. Maybe he has upped his game considerably. Not impossible.
I'm sick of seeing people (not just you) cheapen Rovig's stats/production vs Wagner. They were not the best defense, but they were still a Division 1 football team with scholarship athletes. In fact, they gave up less passing yards (2301) than the Griz (2619) last year with a better completion % against (55% Wagner, 57% UM).

Wagner was 86th in the nation in Pass Defense Efficiency (out of 124) and was actually better than 4 big sky teams in that statistic. I know that the BSC is a pass-happy conference with better QB play than the NEC but to say Wagner was one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last year is just flat-out wrong. Not saying Rovig is going to light the world on fire or be considered an All-BSC QB, but he showed some skills and played well in some games last year. 300+ yards, 3 tds and no turnovers in his 2nd career start proves he has some talent, I don't care the opponent.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that I have also seen Rovig play/practice and he looks ready to roll this fall...in my eyes. Casey Bauman also has improved and should push Tucker during fall camp. I think Bobcat fans are stuck in the middle of what a QB should look like: superstars like Denarius/Dakota or explosive athletes who struggle to throw like Chris/Troy. What if I told you its okay to have a QB who is just a good athlete with an average arm who has trained to be a true QB since his youth?
That's ridiculous. Has there ever been a successful QB like that before?!
Jack Rolovich damn near led us to the promise land back in 2006!
I have to admit, I have been one of the doubters about Rovig but only because of the dreadful spring he had last year. It sounds like he has come a long ways since then. Vim has convinced me and I am officially on the Rovig bandwagon. Rolovich was a good athlete, trained to be a true QB since youth but he had anything but an average arm, it was a frickin' cannon. If Rovig or Bauman are anywhere near as good as Rolovich was we will be fine on offense. But I also have worries about the defense making a transition from Gregorak to Ioane. I love Kane and think he will be great but it may have some struggles this year despite being loaded with Talent.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:39 am
I think the thing with Wagner is you have to be careful with what you take from it.

Like the throw above, that's a good throw against anybody. That's a positive!

But on the flip side, Wagner was bad at pass defense. There's no way around it, they were. So just a blanket statement of "300 yards vs Wagner! He's good!" doesn't do a lot for me. The situation and circumstances matter. It's the same exact thing as saying, for example, bad stats against a top 3 team on the road, have to be taken with a grain of salt. And that's 100% correct as well!

Long story short, I think Rovig can be just fine in a game manager type situation. The one thing I'm concerned about is timing, and turnovers. The kid is still young, and he's going to grow and hopefully improve. Do I think he's great? No. Do I think he's awful? No. I think he's just fine. And that's good enough.
I don't think he's GREAT at this point either..... because he hasn't proved that yet. I believe he has the potential to be an excellent QB in the Big Sky but he'll have to prove it. I said it in another thread but if he wins the starting job I could easily see him having a year like Case Cookus had his first year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am
vike_king wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 am
Wow, they aren't convinced that Troy Anderson will be concentrating on defense this year.
??

They aren't going to put a guy who hasn't played on defense on the 1st Team. Had to put him *somewhere*, and with his role on offense (he will have one), FB makes the most sense. I'm actually surprised at how well thought out it was.
Hero Sports had Troy as first team All American on defense in their preseason team:

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... -team-ajaj

Cool.

Fwiw, it was Choate who put him on the FB spot according to Colter.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Here's how Brooks and I voted and a full breakdown of why:

Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Ryan Tootell and I broadcasted live from the Big Sky Kickoff yesterday. Here's our take on the preseason all-league teams and polls

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:41 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am
vike_king wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 am
Wow, they aren't convinced that Troy Anderson will be concentrating on defense this year.
??

They aren't going to put a guy who hasn't played on defense on the 1st Team. Had to put him *somewhere*, and with his role on offense (he will have one), FB makes the most sense. I'm actually surprised at how well thought out it was.
Hero Sports had Troy as first team All American on defense in their preseason team:

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... -team-ajaj

Cool.

Fwiw, it was Choate who put him on the FB spot according to Colter.
Choate said as much in his Twitter interview. I believe the coaches pick the position for their players.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Bump here - Can someone point me in the right direction to find the coach and player interviews from the kickoff in SLC? All I've seen is the one for Choate. I searched around and couldn't find anything, you'd think those would be easier to find.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:51 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:22 pm
Bump here - Can someone point me in the right direction to find the coach and player interviews from the kickoff in SLC? All I've seen is the one for Choate. I searched around and couldn't find anything, you'd think those would be easier to find.
If you go to Facebook and search “Montana State Bobcats”, they have a Facebook profile where they have posted the interviews.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:22 pm