Preseason All Big Sky Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Preseason All Big Sky Team

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Rovig was 6-9-1, 161 yards and a TD in the second half vs SDSU. Played well vs Wagner. 23-34-0, 310 yards and 3 touchdowns. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be great, but it’s promising.
That included a stretch of 4 for 5 and 134 yards. He had completions of 42, 33, 40 and 19 yards. Not very many quarterbacks have had a run like that. No one else did that against SDSU last year.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Rovig was 6-9-1, 161 yards and a TD in the second half vs SDSU. Played well vs Wagner. 23-34-0, 310 yards and 3 touchdowns. That doesn’t mean he’s going to be great, but it’s promising.
That included a stretch of 4 for 5 and 134 yards. He had completions of 42, 33, 40 and 19 yards. Not very many quarterbacks have had a run like that. No one else did that against SDSU last year.
Yeah and on those throws he made them look so easy (with touch and timing on them). I really hope he comes in and plays lights out because that will just make the offense so much better knowing we can put in TA about 10 snaps a game as well. Teams will have to prepare well for BOTH styles still. Has anyone been able to see any of the summer work outs at all (or are those off limits)? I guess we will know soon enough how the QB position will be in fall camp. It is coming up fast.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 am
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Yeah and on those throws he made them look so easy (with touch and timing on them). I really hope he comes in and plays lights out because that will just make the offense so much better knowing we can put in TA about 10 snaps a game as well. Teams will have to prepare well for BOTH styles still. Has anyone been able to see any of the summer work outs at all (or are those off limits)? I guess we will know soon enough how the QB position will be in fall camp. It is coming up fast.
As I told Costello in my interview... If you ask 17K fans, you will get 17K different answers. Fact is, none of us will know how he will do until probably the second game of the year. Players seem to think he is a leader, and can run the offense, and I believe them more than anyone else. This team is a QB away from being one of the top 2 teams in the Big Sky, and having a bye and then a Home game in the second round. I believe we have that QB on the team, and I think we will all see that next year. I also don't believe that QB is Andersen.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Second team defense at SDSU and Wagner....well you may as well use MT Tech as they’d give them a run for their money. I have my reasons for Rovig doubts. It’s not just me either. We will see how it plays out. Maybe he has upped his game considerably. Not impossible.
I'm sick of seeing people (not just you) cheapen Rovig's stats/production vs Wagner. They were not the best defense, but they were still a Division 1 football team with scholarship athletes. In fact, they gave up less passing yards (2301) than the Griz (2619) last year with a better completion % against (55% Wagner, 57% UM).

Wagner was 86th in the nation in Pass Defense Efficiency (out of 124) and was actually better than 4 big sky teams in that statistic. I know that the BSC is a pass-happy conference with better QB play than the NEC but to say Wagner was one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last year is just flat-out wrong. Not saying Rovig is going to light the world on fire or be considered an All-BSC QB, but he showed some skills and played well in some games last year. 300+ yards, 3 tds and no turnovers in his 2nd career start proves he has some talent, I don't care the opponent.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Good point, I also saw people posting saying his throws were easy and anyone could make them. This throw is not as easy as it looks. He pre-snapped an LB on Kassis (big mistake), had to put enough air on it to get it over the defender but touch to give Kassis room to get a foot in before the boundary in the back of the end zone. If Rovig can consistently make throws like this we are going to be a force to be reckoned with, the jury is still out if he can.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 4155278804

Not to get off track of the derailed topic of "Who will be the qb?" again and why many fans love his potential...but, isn't it kind of amusing that two of the preseason favorites, EWU and Davis, had one and two respectfully preseason All-Conference players?

By the way, I don't think there were any outstanding receivers picked up during the off season were there?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Second team defense at SDSU
100% false.
Just like how you've "seen and heard" that Rovig won't be any good.
Meh. I know enough of what I’ve seen. And well those other doubters are MSU football fans. And probably a lot more connected than you. You can get pissy with them instead.
You don't know whether Rovig will be any good, and neither do I. And neither do your friends regardless of who they root for.
A person interested in an honest discussion doesn't make things up and exaggerate facts like you do.
Then you get called on it, and either play the "poor me" card or talk about your connections.
You're just trolling, plain and simple.
Yep, classic Grizagenda move. His shtick gets really old.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:25 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Second team defense at SDSU and Wagner....well you may as well use MT Tech as they’d give them a run for their money. I have my reasons for Rovig doubts. It’s not just me either. We will see how it plays out. Maybe he has upped his game considerably. Not impossible.
I'm sick of seeing people (not just you) cheapen Rovig's stats/production vs Wagner. They were not the best defense, but they were still a Division 1 football team with scholarship athletes. In fact, they gave up less passing yards (2301) than the Griz (2619) last year with a better completion % against (55% Wagner, 57% UM).

Wagner was 86th in the nation in Pass Defense Efficiency (out of 124) and was actually better than 4 big sky teams in that statistic. I know that the BSC is a pass-happy conference with better QB play than the NEC but to say Wagner was one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last year is just flat-out wrong. Not saying Rovig is going to light the world on fire or be considered an All-BSC QB, but he showed some skills and played well in some games last year. 300+ yards, 3 tds and no turnovers in his 2nd career start proves he has some talent, I don't care the opponent.
=D^ =D^ =D^ 100% correct!
Unfortunately there are a lot of self anointed experts that have “Grudenesque” ability to evaluate tape (and the ego to believe they are that knowledgeable). And there are also guys like GrizAgenda that have an agenda to follow.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:26 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Second team defense at SDSU
100% false.
Just like how you've "seen and heard" that Rovig won't be any good.
Meh. I know enough of what I’ve seen. And well those other doubters are MSU football fans. And probably a lot more connected than you. You can get pissy with them instead.
You don't know whether Rovig will be any good, and neither do I. And neither do your friends regardless of who they root for.
A person interested in an honest discussion doesn't make things up and exaggerate facts like you do.
Then you get called on it, and either play the "poor me" card or talk about your connections.
You're just trolling, plain and simple.
Yep, classic Grizagenda move. His shtick gets really old.
=D^ =D^ =D^

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Good point, I also saw people posting saying his throws were easy and anyone could make them. This throw is not as easy as it looks. He pre-snapped an LB on Kassis (big mistake), had to put enough air on it to get it over the defender but touch to give Kassis room to get a foot in before the boundary in the back of the end zone. If Rovig can consistently make throws like this we are going to be a force to be reckoned with, the jury is still out if he can.

This was the throw where I raised my eyebrows and said, "We haven't had a QB who could make THAT throw since Denarius (sorry Dakota)." That throw takes touch, trust, and confidence.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am

RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that I have also seen Rovig play/practice and he looks ready to roll this fall...in my eyes. Casey Bauman also has improved and should push Tucker during fall camp. I think Bobcat fans are stuck in the middle of what a QB should look like: superstars like Denarius/Dakota or explosive athletes who struggle to throw like Chris/Troy. What if I told you its okay to have a QB who is just a good athlete with an average arm who has trained to be a true QB since his youth?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:38 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 4155278804

Not to get off track of the derailed topic of "Who will be the qb?" again and why many fans love his potential...but, isn't it kind of amusing that two of the preseason favorites, EWU and Davis, had one and two respectfully preseason All-Conference players?

By the way, I don't think there were any outstanding receivers picked up during the off season were there?
The Eastern D had a standout guy or 2 last year but played ridiculously well as a unit. They were fast, technically sound and tackled well. A defense that does that can have 1 or 2 studs and 9 or 10 solid players and be really good.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 am

iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
If he can do that, or close to it, he'll be more than sufficient. And nobody ever talks about the fact that it's a year later...is it not reasonable to think he'll improve after a year of training, lifting, being with the team, learning schemes, watching film? I see nothing that makes me think he won't be at least a solid QB. I remember the knock last year on him was his confidence, and I think confidence comes in large part with experience. The game slows down, you know what to look for, you have more chemistry with your offense and your coaches, and oh by the way, you're not looking over your shoulder at this freak athlete named Troy Andersen who will take your spot if you make a mistake. I think we have this mindset about football players that we get from the NFL, where players don't improve by more than maybe 5% from year to year normally. These guys are going from being kids to being adults, and the learning curve (as well as the physical maturation) is much steeper. I'm not saying it's guaranteed he'll be better, but what he did last year would be good enough. And if he does make any improvements, which isn't unlikely, he should be better than half of the QB's in the BSC.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:15 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This was the throw where I raised my eyebrows and said, "We haven't had a QB who could make THAT throw since Denarius (sorry Dakota)." That throw takes touch, trust, and confidence.
Hadn't seen that clip before so thanks for posting it - good skill/touch throw, and he didn't wast any time getting rid of the ball either although I think he was going with Kassis from the start.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am
RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that I have also seen Rovig play/practice and he looks ready to roll this fall...in my eyes. Casey Bauman also has improved and should push Tucker during fall camp. I think Bobcat fans are stuck in the middle of what a QB should look like: superstars like Denarius/Dakota or explosive athletes who struggle to throw like Chris/Troy. What if I told you its okay to have a QB who is just a good athlete with an average arm who has trained to be a true QB since his youth?
That's ridiculous. Has there ever been a successful QB like that before?!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:39 am

I think the thing with Wagner is you have to be careful with what you take from it.

Like the throw above, that's a good throw against anybody. That's a positive!

But on the flip side, Wagner was bad at pass defense. There's no way around it, they were. So just a blanket statement of "300 yards vs Wagner! He's good!" doesn't do a lot for me. The situation and circumstances matter. It's the same exact thing as saying, for example, bad stats against a top 3 team on the road, have to be taken with a grain of salt. And that's 100% correct as well!

Long story short, I think Rovig can be just fine in a game manager type situation. The one thing I'm concerned about is timing, and turnovers. The kid is still young, and he's going to grow and hopefully improve. Do I think he's great? No. Do I think he's awful? No. I think he's just fine. And that's good enough.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Jack Rolovich damn near led us to the promise land back in 2006!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 am
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Bruh, Rolovich had a CANNON.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Average athlete.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Average athlete.
Rolovich was in the Peyton Manning mold for sure.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast