Best athlete from Montana RIGHT NOW

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Best athlete from Montana RIGHT NOW

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm
How about Tejay Van Garderen? Best young rider and 5th place overall in the 2012 Tour de France and still a top level pro cyclist. He grew up in Bozeman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejay_van_Garderen
Oh yeah, we mentioned Tejay and Levi Leipheimer as well.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:42 pm

I think you have to add Kamden Hilborn to the list. Two state championships and all-state honors in soccer, two state championships in basketball with all-conference honors, and a state championship in pole vault. AND, she received college offers for all three of those sports as well.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm
Sonny Holland
Sonny was a fantastic athlete in his day, but he’s 81 years old now. If you want to rate all time great Montana athletes, he’d definitely be on the list.
oh.......Sonny Holland
Okay, I’ll see your Sonny Holland and raise you a Pat Donovan. In my opinion, the greatest athlete in Montana history.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Jess Lockwood should probably be in the conversation as well.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:42 pm
They talk about her a lot. I think the sport that requires the most athletic ability is basketball. Especially the guards and forwards. Football is up there too. Track, skiing and a lot of the other sports they talked about just don’t have the same degree of difficulty.

So I’d put players that excel in hoops and football ahead. You also need to factor in that a lot more people go out for football and basketball so the odds of rising to the top are higher.
The cool thing about basketball is that you have to play both ends, offense and defense. The multitude of skills it takes to be a great basketball player takes a ton of work and athletic ability.

I still vote for TA though because in a sport where you play on one side or the other he is our best player no matter what side of the field he’s playing on. That is very rare in this age of football.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 pm

Here is a list of Montana athletes All Time not just RIGHT NOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... om_Montana

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:42 pm
Track, skiing and a lot of the other sports they talked about just don’t have the same degree of difficulty.
I remember several years ago there was a summer competition between top athletes in all sports. Football. Basketball. Boxing was one too. Several players were good in some events but then fell back in others. Being at the top of pretty much every event, winning a lot of them was Johnny Mosley. Pretty much the top overall athlete.

Granted Mosley was a bump skier and Maggie is a park skier but top skiers are extremely athletic. To twist her body and such takes a ton of athletic ability. And out of everyone mentioned, she probably ranks the highest in her field out of everyone listed.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 am

Levi and Tejay definitely deserve mention, and Levi though tarnished with his association with doping probably rode at a higher level than Tejay who seems to always be close, but never gets over the hump. He is notorious for one BAD day that kills his chances to stand on the podium.

For the discussion however, Troy Andersen is the best...right now! 8)

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am

Not sure if Brock Osweiller was mentioned or not... but definitely should be included on the list. has been an on and off starting QB in the NFL...…… he is from Kalispel. Pretty solid.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 am

bcats wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 pm
I was going to say Jess Lockwood was the biggest omission from the list. He's been dominating the PBR as of late.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am
Not sure if Brock Osweiller was mentioned or not... but definitely should be included on the list. has been an on and off starting QB in the NFL...…… he is from Kalispel. Pretty solid.
Very good hoop player too.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 am
bcats wrote:
I was going to say Jess Lockwood was the biggest omission from the list. He's been dominating the PBR as of late.
I don't believe a lot of Folks on here know, the athletic abilities, or skills required to be a Top Professional Rodeo
Cowboy . I know some Pro Rodeo Athletes , that could have participated in other Pro Sports , Football mostly ,
but Basketball and Golf also and a lot of them cold have been Race Car Drivers lol . Not many peddle bikers though,
that's why God invented Horses. :D

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am
MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 am
bcats wrote:
I don't believe a lot of Folks on here know, the athletic abilities, or skills required to be a Top Professional Rodeo
Cowboy . I know some Pro Rodeo Athletes , that could have participated in other Pro Sports , Football mostly ,
but Basketball and Golf also and a lot of them cold have been Race Car Drivers lol . Not many peddle bikers though,
that's why God invented Horses. :D
Honestly, as a guy who started his career covering rodeo in Ellensburg and Pendleton, I totally blew it not mentioning Jess Lockwood and Ty Erickson. I even talk about Ty on my show pretty often. I'll never forget the first time I interviewed him before the MSU Spring Rodeo some years ago. When he got off his horse, I COULD NOT BELIEVE how big he was. A true 6-foot-5, 250 without training like a football player. Hands the size of bear claws. He's such a stud and certainly deserving to be on this list.