How would you attack this year's team?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

How would you attack this year's team?

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am

Now that it's summer, here's something to talk about.
As an opponent, how would you attack this years Bobcat team?

Assumptions:
1- No injuries/attrition over the summer and fall camp - i.e., everyone currently on the roster is healthy and eligible.
2- Rovig is starting QB
3- No major additions to the roster over the summer.

Here's my answer to start us off.

On offense, I would run some version of the RPO. Yes, I know everyone is doing a version of this, but I would emphasize it when playing the Cats. I think the Cat D-line is VERY solid. I think the Cat Defensive backfield is solid. So I don't think I could pound it down the Bobcats throat, and I don't think I could sit back in the pocket and throw it effectively (Pass defense is good, and Pass rush will be very good). So I would run RPO stuff where I would be reading the Linebackers, and look to get the LBs out of position, and then exploit it.

On defense, I would make Rovig beat me. I would play man coverage on the outside, and sometimes a modified zone across the board and load the box. I would be afraid of Ifanse and afraid of the run-blocking ability of the Bobcat O-line. So I would load up to stop the run, and then hopefully get to Rovig before he could make his throw (if it was a pass). In this scenario, I'm not afraid of Rovig's run threat (different if Anderson or Jonsen takes a few reps at QB). So I know that the Cats will have to run some bubble screens to loosen up the box - then I'll shift to a little more Zone coverage to try to take that away.

What would you do?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: How would you attack this year's team?

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am
Now that it's summer, here's something to talk about.
As an opponent, how would you attack this years Bobcat team?

Assumptions:
1- No injuries/attrition over the summer and fall camp - i.e., everyone currently on the roster is healthy and eligible.
2- Rovig is starting QB
3- No major additions to the roster over the summer.

Here's my answer to start us off.

On offense, I would run some version of the RPO. Yes, I know everyone is doing a version of this, but I would emphasize it when playing the Cats. I think the Cat D-line is VERY solid. I think the Cat Defensive backfield is solid. So I don't think I could pound it down the Bobcats throat, and I don't think I could sit back in the pocket and throw it effectively (Pass defense is good, and Pass rush will be very good). So I would run RPO stuff where I would be reading the Linebackers, and look to get the LBs out of position, and then exploit it.

On defense, I would make Rovig beat me. I would play man coverage on the outside, and sometimes a modified zone across the board and load the box. I would be afraid of Ifanse and afraid of the run-blocking ability of the Bobcat O-line. So I would load up to stop the run, and then hopefully get to Rovig before he could make his throw (if it was a pass). In this scenario, I'm not afraid of Rovig's run threat (different if Anderson or Jonsen takes a few reps at QB). So I know that the Cats will have to run some bubble screens to loosen up the box - then I'll shift to a little more Zone coverage to try to take that away.

What would you do?
On offense, I would run the ball...a lot. A whole lot of power mixed in with some quarterback run option and sweeps to the outside to test our outside backers and corners. MSU's strength on defense is its defensive line and secondary. But their strengths are rushing the passer and covering downfield. The defensive line was average against the run last year and the defensive backs are not physical tacklers at all. Konkol is one of the best tacklers in the FCS while Alleyne is serviceable though he would rather cover. Our LB depth will be outstanding this year but who will be the top unit in crunch time? Anyway, run the rock right at MSU's defense.

On defense, you have to make sure and stop the run first. When Troy or Travis are lining up in the backfield, you have to have an answer for them whether they are taking direct snaps or getting handoffs. In coverage, I would play a good amount of zone against Tucker to bait him into interceptions and force him to throw into windows. I actually think Tucker will excel against man coverage because he can read it better. But a mixture of different zone concepts may hinder his ability to trust his reads. Due to MSU's run game (yes...handing the ball of to Isiaha Ifanse is still very fruitful), force MSU to beat you with a regular front. That is basically the test for every defense MSU faces this season: stop MSU's run game with a normal front and try not to sacrifice another body in coverage to stop the run because Rovig is savvy enough to find the open man in coverage....something Chris and Troy lacked the past few years. Both improved at it but Tucker has the ability to read it pre and post snap.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 am

Get into third and long... ;-p

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 am

You can't stop this year's team, you can only hope to contain them.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am

On offense I have TR at shotgun with ifanse about 5 yards off his right hip for RPO. Andersen on the left about 7 yards out and 3 deep for quick slant, double pass or motion. Jensen on the line for deep action. Defense spread to thin to stop.
On defense, it won't matter what you try. Shut down and top D in at least 8 categories, especially takeaways and sacks.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 am

I would just forfeit. Especially if my name was Bobby.

Punters are people too!!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 am

Great thread! I agree with first two posts for the most part.

The only thing opposing coaches have is last year’s film (at least for the first few games) so they would be crazy not to try to attack us on the edge with sweeps and fly sweeps and underneath crossing patterns. They were our kryptonite (that and offense facing 3rd and long hahaha @technoCat )last year and until we show we can stop it that is what I expect to see. I do think we will be improved in this facet with TA at LB and Kane running the show.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:24 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 am
Great thread! I agree with first two posts for the most part.

The only thing opposing coaches have is last year’s film (at least for the first few games) so they would be crazy not to try to attack us on the edge with sweeps and fly sweeps and underneath crossing patterns. They were our kryptonite (that and offense facing 3rd and long hahaha @technoCat )last year and until we show we can stop it that is what I expect to see. I do think we will be improved in this facet with TA at LB and Kane running the show.
How can you agree with both, the first one is scared to run against us and the second one wants to run it down our throat?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 am

Force Rovig to his left in passing situations....see if he can make throws wheeling to his left. Harder for a rangy guy to get feet set unlike a Beltran type with quicker feet. I remember watching Dave Dickenson practice this all the time under Reid's guidance. The taller QB's struggled. Don't let a tall pocket passer style QB set their back foot....

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 am

On offense until we show we have a significant passing game and because our OL will be big and experienced, I’d load the line of scrimmage, blitz a lot, and take my chances with man to man coverages.

I think our ability to rush the passer because of Sterk, Williams, Hardy, Marks, Andersen & others will be the defenses strong point along with the fact that most of our secondary is back, I think opposing offenses will attack us with a combination of power run & dink-n-dunk passes. This guess is based solely on personnel. Because we have a new DC (KI), none of us really know for sure what our defensive scheme will be and thus hard to determine its weaknesses.

GO CATS!

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

I think our defense will be good. I would think opposing offenses would need to run plays that are timing routes, slants and quick outs. Run right at them without a lot of misdirection, one move and not slow developing. Our defense has plenty of speed, good tacklers that pursue well.
I have never disagreed with Vim and I reluctantly do so now but I would play man against Rovig until proven otherwise. If the box isn’t stacked we will run the ball effectively against most teams in this conference.
I am not by any means a football coach. I reserve the right to be completely wrong and change my mind at any point.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:40 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 am
On offense until we show we have a significant passing game and because our OL will be big and experienced, I’d load the line of scrimmage, blitz a lot, and take my chances with man to man coverages.

I think our ability to rush the passer because of Sterk, Williams, Hardy, Marks, Andersen & others will be the defenses strong point along with the fact that most of our secondary is back, I think opposing offenses will attack us with a combination of power run & dink-n-dunk passes. This guess is based solely on personnel. Because we have a new DC (KI), none of us really know for sure what our defensive scheme will be and thus hard to determine its weaknesses.

GO CATS!
The scheme on defense will be similar to what is run at UDub. MSU has the athletes in the secondary and depth/size on DLine to run most of it.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Short crossing routes. As many times a game as possible! The defense has been crucified by short crossing routes. Weber especially has destroyed the defense with short crossing routes. And yet, there never seemed to be any adjustment.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm

083190 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Short crossing routes. As many times a game as possible! The defense has been crucified by short crossing routes. Weber especially has destroyed the defense with short crossing routes. And yet, there never seemed to be any adjustment.
Troy Andersen is the adjustment, at least a part of it.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm
083190 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Troy Andersen is the adjustment, at least a part of it.
Or maybe (hopefully) the adjustment is Kane Ioane!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:10 am

Most BN posters will wait for the game day thread before attacking this team. Some keep doing it randomly in threads year round.

But seriously, I’d play the run until the QB proves he can make throws downfield. Nothing fancy until MSU proves it can be somewhat deceptive.

On offense, I’d run it up the gut to test the DL based on all the losses. MSU should be good against the pass, so I’d use the standard run-to-setup-the-pass offense.

Sidenote: with Andersen at LB, MSU will be able to drop into the nickel on the fly. I have to believe that’s a great luxury very few teams possess.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber