Scrempos signed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Scrempos signed

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am
I've entered into the conversation late so I apologize if I repeat earlier posts. My thoughts on the D-line:

- Don't be surprised if the "starting" front four are: Marks (End), Sterk (3-Tech), Benson (Nose), and A. Williams (Buck)
- There isn't really a "second team" because Choate likes to rotate heavily and the rotation each week is based on the matchup. However, if I had to guess what the 2nd team would be, I'd say it would be: Ferriter (End), Scrempos (3-Tech), Deines (Nose), and Finch (Buck).
- Depth will likely be a rotation of Ferriter (End), Finch (Buck), Scrempos (Interior), Deines (Interior), Rygg (Interior), Yates (Nose), Regimbal (Buck), Rollins (End/Interior)
- The only true freshman I expect to compete is Blake Schmidt (3-Tech)
- The whole unit is going to be lighter but technically very sound and athletic. All play with the attitude Choate expects from his defensive line. All four of the starters I listed are versatile along with most of the depth.
- Don't be surprised if some of the linebackers roll down to Buck on certain downs. Guys like Jobman, Kanow, Hardy, Jory Choate, and even Troy Andersen have pass rush wiggle due to their skill set. Troy is just really fast and long so even if he doesn't have a pass rush move, he can still get home when schemed effectively.

I think teams are going to test our run defense a lot this year. Choate has rebuilt the unit to finally rush the passer. Now they will just have to make sure they don't lose too much in the run stopping department. My prediction is they won't and the defensive line is going to be really good.
Troy played Buck end against EWU last year and totally manhandled the right tackle and almost got home to Grubrud. I remembered thinking if a Qb has ever sacked another QB before. I'm not worried about Troy's moves, he's going to be every Big Sky QBs nightmare next year.
Troy sacked SDSU's QB last year with one arm because the other one was in a cast and all wrapped up.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:52 pm

I think it's situational.

Against a team that runs a lot, you have him on the edge. A team that passes a lot, you can move him inside.

With a talent like Sterk, you move him around to wherever the matchup is most beneficial. They do the same thing in the NFL.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Andersen has elite speed off the edge. OT's at this level aren't used to seeing that.

Brad Daly did that a lot, and that kid from EWU, Ebukam. He plays for the Rams now.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:21 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
I've entered into the conversation late so I apologize if I repeat earlier posts. My thoughts on the D-line:

- Don't be surprised if the "starting" front four are: Marks (End), Sterk (3-Tech), Benson (Nose), and A. Williams (Buck)
- There isn't really a "second team" because Choate likes to rotate heavily and the rotation each week is based on the matchup. However, if I had to guess what the 2nd team would be, I'd say it would be: Ferriter (End), Scrempos (3-Tech), Deines (Nose), and Finch (Buck).
- Depth will likely be a rotation of Ferriter (End), Finch (Buck), Scrempos (Interior), Deines (Interior), Rygg (Interior), Yates (Nose), Regimbal (Buck), Rollins (End/Interior)
- The whole unit is going to be lighter but technically very sound and athletic. All play with the attitude Choate expects from his defensive line. All four of the starters I listed are versatile along with most of the depth.
- Don't be surprised if some of the linebackers roll down to Buck on certain downs. Guys like Jobman, Kanow, Hardy, Jory Choate, and even Troy Andersen have pass rush wiggle due to their skill set. Troy is just really fast and long so even if he doesn't have a pass rush move, he can still get home when schemed effectively.

I think teams are going to test our run defense a lot this year. Choate has rebuilt the unit to finally rush the passer. Now they will just have to make sure they don't lose too much in the run stopping department. My prediction is they won't and the defensive line is going to be really good.
Yikes, I sure hope they don't make Sterk, the conference sack and TFL leader, change positions.
Sterk is a team player, so I don’t think they’ll ‘make’ him do that. Williams could very well be a better pass rusher and I think the coaches want Sterk and Williams on the field on passing downs. So even if Sterk starts at Buck, he’d probably roll to DT on passing downs with Williams at Buck.
Yes, passing downs I can see moving him inside. But not starting DT, when he's a proven all-conference player at Buck. That wouldn't make much sense, but we'll see how it shakes out.
If you think someone is better, then you need to start them. Sterk has reportedly bulked up from 250 to 270, so you have to wonder if he’s doing that to become a better Buck. Seems like that position is usually light and kind of a hybrid OLB/rush end. I’d say he’s doing that to change positions. Help the team.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue May 28, 2019 2:12 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Yikes, I sure hope they don't make Sterk, the conference sack and TFL leader, change positions.
Sterk is a team player, so I don’t think they’ll ‘make’ him do that. Williams could very well be a better pass rusher and I think the coaches want Sterk and Williams on the field on passing downs. So even if Sterk starts at Buck, he’d probably roll to DT on passing downs with Williams at Buck.
Yes, passing downs I can see moving him inside. But not starting DT, when he's a proven all-conference player at Buck. That wouldn't make much sense, but we'll see how it shakes out.
If you think someone is better, then you need to start them. Sterk has reportedly bulked up from 250 to 270, so you have to wonder if he’s doing that to become a better Buck. Seems like that position is usually light and kind of a hybrid OLB/rush end. I’d say he’s doing that to change positions. Help the team.
Gotcha, I wasn't aware he put on 20 lbs. In that case it would make more sense. I just think Sterk as a DE/Buck, at last year's weight, is a lock for all conference and probably starts the season on the Buchanon watch list.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm

I know the roster listed him at 250, but I would be surprised if that was actually his weight last year.

I think he was easy 260, but that's just quibbling. I would imagine he ends up playing in the 260-265 range. That's about the prototypical size for an edge of his height.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 28, 2019 2:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:12 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Gotcha, I wasn't aware he put on 20 lbs. In that case it would make more sense. I just think Sterk as a DE/Buck, at last year's weight, is a lock for all conference and probably starts the season on the Buchanon watch list.
Very true he probably would, but I’m guessing he’d rather have a ring (or 2)? :wink:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:12 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

While that's true, we lost depth on the interior of the DL due to graduation and attrition. Bryce can be a more athletic version of Zach Wright at 3-Tech. Need to get the best four out there. And would like to point out that the reason most of this "Sterk to DT" talk began because of how impressive Amandre Williams has looked at Buck. He may just start at Buck all year and put up better numbers than Sterk in 2018.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue May 28, 2019 5:26 pm

I imagine Sterk was under-reported weight wise on the roster last year. He might've put on some muscle but there's no way he was 250 or lower last year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Tue May 28, 2019 10:39 pm

I thought Sterk was a stud last year, but also at times thought he got lost. Just seemed to not have his speed at all times. I think that him putting on more weight might just move him naturally from the buck spot to a more “traditional” DE. It sounds like Williams has the edge in true athleticism, which might make him a better buck end. Just my two cent for what’s it’s worth

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Wed May 29, 2019 10:11 am

I bet Scrempos will be a player of significance for you. I have some good info on this.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Didn't Troy, when he was nursing the broken hand, get to the South Dakota State quarterback last year? I think it was the first snap that Troy played.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm
Didn't Troy, when he was nursing the broken hand, get to the South Dakota State quarterback last year? I think it was the first snap that Troy played.
Not sure if it was the first snap for him on defense, but he did get a sack in that game just before halftime.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm
Not sure if it was the first snap for him on defense, but he did get a sack in that game just before halftime.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was the first or second defensive snap he played. And yeah, he had the club on.