Scrempos signed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Scrempos signed

Post by technoCat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:10 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 am
Curious to see the competition across the DL this fall. At this point Sterk is the only guy I would say is a 100% for sure starter. Several very talented players to watch.

As well as the DL played last year, I think they have the potential to be even better this year.
Benson will start for sure.

There will be a lot of guys that get a lot of snaps. A good solid DL rotation.

Sterks will start. I can't imagine Marks won't start. Benson will start. I'd imagine Scrempos starts, and Deines plays behind him. Then you have guys like Amandre Williams that's gonna get a bunch of snaps. Ferriter, Finch, Rygg, Yates, that JUCO transfer.

I wish we had more iDL. A quick twitch guy there. Maybe Marks and Sterk slide inside on 3rd downs?
I could of sworn that they had already put out the notion of Sterk going inside in certain situations during spring camp.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am

imacat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am
I don’t think it is given Scrempos will start.
Agreed. Drop downs are a funny thing - often times the most decorated, highest profile transfer are the ones who disappoint, and the ones with no fanfare are the one who turn into all-league players.

By disappoint I don't mean they come in, start and don't make all-league - in my opinion if a dropdown comes in and wins a starting job, it was worth bringing him in right there. I'm talking the guys who come in, can't even win a starting job and end up hardly playing.

To me, Scrempos doesn't have that huge pedigree - 3 star out of high school, sparingly played at UW, even if UW's DL was absolutely loaded for years. As far as transfers goes, this is about middle of the road in terms of credentials.

But you can't teach the size, you know he's been coached well, so if he comes in and buys in, there isn't any reason he can't be a solid player for us, if not a starter. But that remains to be seen.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:10 am
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Curious to see the competition across the DL this fall. At this point Sterk is the only guy I would say is a 100% for sure starter. Several very talented players to watch.

As well as the DL played last year, I think they have the potential to be even better this year.

Sterks will start. I can't imagine Marks won't start. Benson will start. I'd imagine Scrempos starts, and Deines plays behind him. Then you have guys like Amandre Williams that's gonna get a bunch of snaps. Ferriter, Finch, Rygg, Yates, that JUCO transfer.

I wish we had more iDL. A quick twitch guy there. Maybe Marks and Sterk slide inside on 3rd downs?
I could of sworn that they had already put out the notion of Sterk going inside in certain situations during spring camp.
Sterk will play some inside. Colter mentions on by the numbers that Sterk is about 270 right now, what an animal.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 24, 2019 10:21 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 am
imacat wrote:
Agreed. Drop downs are a funny thing - often times the most decorated, highest profile transfer are the ones who disappoint, and the ones with no fanfare are the one who turn into all-league players.

By disappoint I don't mean they come in, start and don't make all-league - in my opinion if a dropdown comes in and wins a starting job, it was worth bringing him in right there. I'm talking the guys who come in, can't even win a starting job and end up hardly playing.

To me, Scrempos doesn't have that huge pedigree - 3 star out of high school, sparingly played at UW, even if UW's DL was absolutely loaded for years. As far as transfers goes, this is about middle of the road in terms of credentials.

But you can't teach the size, you know he's been coached well, so if he comes in and buys in, there isn't any reason he can't be a solid player for us, if not a starter. But that remains to be seen.
That’s typically true, but Choate has had great success bringing in talented players/coaches from UW. Granted, Hale and GArdenhire didn’t pan out, but it wasn’t because they weren’t talented.

Scrempos may not start, but I’m fairly certain that he’ll be in the rotation.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 am

CelticCat wrote:
imacat wrote:

I agree that dropdowns don't always pan out, but Scrempos credentials pretty much mirror Bryce Sterks credentials. I like the fact he did play at UW and was in the system for a long time.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am

This is really going to help the DL rotation and options for different packages.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 am
technoCat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:10 am
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Sterk will play some inside. Colter mentions on by the numbers that Sterk is about 270 right now, what an animal.
Thanks for reiterating that - i thought i heard the same thing an was going to go back and listen.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri May 24, 2019 1:33 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 am
CelticCat wrote:
imacat wrote:

I agree that dropdowns don't always pan out, but Scrempos credentials pretty much mirror Bryce Sterks credentials. I like the fact he did play at UW and was in the system for a long time.
Exactly, he has already had 4 years in a system almost identical to ours. He was part of a positional group that was among the best in all of college football for several consecutive years. He may not come in and have the type of numbers Sterk had but this kid will be part of the rotation and we going from having to rely on some redshirt freshman in the rotation to a 6'6' 300 pound PAC-12 Grad Transfer Senior. This is a very valuable addition.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 24, 2019 4:38 pm

I was curious about how well the pure drop downs have done in their Bobcat careers under Choate. I'm not sure I got them all, but here is a starter list. I didn't include guys that played FBS and then went the JC route (e.g., Jonsen, Bruggman) before coming to MSU.

1. Walker - Starter, conference honors.
2. Neale - Starter - great player
3. Alleyne - Starter - conference honors
4. Sterk - Starter - conference honors
5. Hale - Starter - we know the rest of the story
6. Carroll - Played
7. Sparaco - Played - left team
8. Natee - Played - injured and retired
9. Barkley - Didn't play much, left program
10. Williams - TBD
11. Tullis - TBD
12. Barker - TBD
13. Scrempos - TBD
14. Roper - Injured, didn't play and retired
15. Gardenhire - Didn't play - we know the rest of the story

Who did I miss?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri May 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am
This is really going to help the DL rotation and options for different packages.
This is what I thought - a great way to differentiate our looks - as long as we don’t get predictable with our who we play at specific times.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm

I like the fact that Kane has already had the chance to see this kid during his time at UW. So, he will already have knowledge of what this kid is going to be like and how he will play.

Punters are people too!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm
I like the fact that Kane has already had the chance to see this kid during his time at UW. So, he will already have knowledge of what this kid is going to be like and how he will play.
Exactly. Choate has done a good job of tapping into UW, but’s been away from there for awhile. Ioane still has a fresh look at what UW has. He’s played his cards well.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Williams will start. It might be at lb but he is going to wreck the bsc.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat May 25, 2019 12:11 am

seataccat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Benson at Nose. Marks at DE. Sterk at tackle. Williams at Buck.

I’d say all those guys are 100% starting.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:31 am

imacat wrote:
I would bet he does not. At best, we can utilize him in a goalline/4th & short D package. Which are extremely important.

It's good to acquire this kind of mass on the D line, but it's a rare that a guy with this much size & potential drops from a Power 5 program to I-AA & produces anything of value. Hope I'm wrong though.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:41 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:11 am
seataccat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Benson at Nose. Marks at DE. Sterk at tackle. Williams at Buck.

I’d say all those guys are 100% starting.
I'd be surprised if Sterk lines up inside on the first two downs regularly.

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Sat May 25, 2019 9:50 am

Think we line up against TT on the first snap with Sterk at strong end, Benson and Scrempos at the inside tackle positions (we don't have a traditional NT this year) and Williams at Buck. Although Marks may not play the first snap of every game, he will certainly get starter reps over the course of the season because of his position versatility (end and tackle) and the fact he is a really good player. Finch, Ferriter and Deines will also get a lot of snaps.

I'm most exited about the potential edge pressure we can bring with Williams and Andersen. Opposing offenses will have a difficult time accounting for these guys on every play.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat May 25, 2019 10:07 am

I’m thinking that “who” starts is irrelevant. They all play a significant role and this additional BIG man just made the Bobcats a lot better football TEAM.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:07 am
I’m thinking that “who” starts is irrelevant. They all play a significant role and this additional BIG man just made the Bobcats a lot better football TEAM.
Yup. Some reserves will get more snaps than starters.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat May 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Marks will be a "starter" and will be a key part of the defense. Rewatch the last 3 Cat griz games and you can pick out plays that Marks makes that are integral to each win. He's a captain for reason. That said, I'm really happy about the addition of a big body on the DL.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate