Scrempos signed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Scrempos signed

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 26, 2019 7:29 am

SpeedCAT wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:50 am
Think we line up against TT on the first snap with Sterk at strong end, Benson and Scrempos at the inside tackle positions (we don't have a traditional NT this year) and Williams at Buck. Although Marks may not play the first snap of every game, he will certainly get starter reps over the course of the season because of his position versatility (end and tackle) and the fact he is a really good player. Finch, Ferriter and Deines will also get a lot of snaps.

I'm most exited about the potential edge pressure we can bring with Williams and Andersen. Opposing offenses will have a difficult time accounting for these guys on every play.
First play on defense we have to ring the QB's Bell and make him gunshy. Make sure he gets happy feet and is watching out for DLine and not receivers.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 am
Curious to see the competition across the DL this fall. At this point Sterk is the only guy I would say is a 100% for sure starter. Several very talented players to watch.

As well as the DL played last year, I think they have the potential to be even better this year.
Benson will start for sure.

There will be a lot of guys that get a lot of snaps. A good solid DL rotation.

Sterks will start. I can't imagine Marks won't start. Benson will start. I'd imagine Scrempos starts, and Deines plays behind him. Then you have guys like Amandre Williams that's gonna get a bunch of snaps. Ferriter, Finch, Rygg, Yates, that JUCO transfer.

I wish we had more iDL. A quick twitch guy there. Maybe Marks and Sterk slide inside on 3rd downs?
So where does Jacob Hadley fit in all this? Has he left the program?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 am

So where does Jacob Hadley fit in all this? Has he left the program?
He's at TE now.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Choate building MSU into a mini UW is really paying off, at least on defense. Defensively, they're the biggest power in the northwest region. When their depth forces someone to drop down, or when a guy is looking to transfer for other reasons, MSU becomes the easy choice.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:32 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 pm
Choate building MSU into a mini UW is really paying off, at least on defense. Defensively, they're the biggest power in the northwest region. When their depth forces someone to drop down, or when a guy is looking to transfer for other reasons, MSU becomes the easy choice.
It’d be interesting to see a breakdown of where anyone transferring from UW to play football goes. Are there other former UW assistant coaches that are now head coaches elsewhere.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:32 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 pm
It’d be interesting to see a breakdown of where anyone transferring from UW to play football goes. Are there other former UW assistant coaches that are now head coaches elsewhere.
Yes it would.

I believe that Jonathan Smith (Oregon State) is the only other HC hire from Petersen's staff since he took over at UW. Smith is an offensive guy and running another Pac 12 program, so obviously not gunning for the same guys that Choate is bringing over.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon May 27, 2019 6:22 pm

After a quick check, I found 6 UDub players had entered the portal. One qb decided to stay, another qb is reportedly leaning to UCLA, a DE and WR are undecided, and we picked up Williams and Scrempos. So it looks like MSU is definitely at the outlet of the pipeline.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:32 pm

We can always use DE nds

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 pm

It's not going to hurt us having Junior Adams as their WR coach.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 pm
Except for EWU maybe....

2024 Resume dominance

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue May 28, 2019 4:55 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 pm
Except for EWU maybe....
I don't know about that. His UW bio says he coached Cooper Cup..... But it doesn't hurt that UW coaching staff has 3 BSC players on it.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 am

Who's the last drop down grad transfer MSU got? It seems like some people are questioning whether Scrempos will be an impact player because not all drop downs are good. I agree that not all drop downs pan out, but a guy that stayed alive in one of the best programs in the country is pretty impressive. This is different from a guy who played a year at a big school and realized he wasn't going to cut it. I can't imagine a player with a better pedigree coming to MSU. If he wasn't any good he wouldn't have survived the competition at UW that many years. You know it had to be hard to keep a scholarship there, so he brought them some value, and you have to think he'll bring MSU that same value barring an injury.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 28, 2019 9:18 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 am
Who's the last drop down grad transfer MSU got? It seems like some people are questioning whether Scrempos will be an impact player because not all drop downs are good. I agree that not all drop downs pan out, but a guy that stayed alive in one of the best programs in the country is pretty impressive. This is different from a guy who played a year at a big school and realized he wasn't going to cut it. I can't imagine a player with a better pedigree coming to MSU. If he wasn't any good he wouldn't have survived the competition at UW that many years. You know it had to be hard to keep a scholarship there, so he brought them some value, and you have to think he'll bring MSU that same value barring an injury.
If I remember correctly, the last grad transfer was John Walker in 2016 and he was honorable mention all conference. He probably would have been given higher honors if the Bobcats had a better record that year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am

I've entered into the conversation late so I apologize if I repeat earlier posts. My thoughts on the D-line:

- Don't be surprised if the "starting" front four are: Marks (End), Sterk (3-Tech), Benson (Nose), and A. Williams (Buck)
- There isn't really a "second team" because Choate likes to rotate heavily and the rotation each week is based on the matchup. However, if I had to guess what the 2nd team would be, I'd say it would be: Ferriter (End), Scrempos (3-Tech), Deines (Nose), and Finch (Buck).
- Depth will likely be a rotation of Ferriter (End), Finch (Buck), Scrempos (Interior), Deines (Interior), Rygg (Interior), Yates (Nose), Regimbal (Buck), Rollins (End/Interior)
- The only true freshman I expect to compete is Blake Schmidt (3-Tech)
- The whole unit is going to be lighter but technically very sound and athletic. All play with the attitude Choate expects from his defensive line. All four of the starters I listed are versatile along with most of the depth.
- Don't be surprised if some of the linebackers roll down to Buck on certain downs. Guys like Jobman, Kanow, Hardy, Jory Choate, and even Troy Andersen have pass rush wiggle due to their skill set. Troy is just really fast and long so even if he doesn't have a pass rush move, he can still get home when schemed effectively.

I think teams are going to test our run defense a lot this year. Choate has rebuilt the unit to finally rush the passer. Now they will just have to make sure they don't lose too much in the run stopping department. My prediction is they won't and the defensive line is going to be really good.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 am

As a graduate transfer does anybody know what Mr. Scrempos will be studying for his graduate degree? Always great to see these guys getting advanced degrees while still eligible to playing football.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am
I've entered into the conversation late so I apologize if I repeat earlier posts. My thoughts on the D-line:

- Don't be surprised if the "starting" front four are: Marks (End), Sterk (3-Tech), Benson (Nose), and A. Williams (Buck)
- There isn't really a "second team" because Choate likes to rotate heavily and the rotation each week is based on the matchup. However, if I had to guess what the 2nd team would be, I'd say it would be: Ferriter (End), Scrempos (3-Tech), Deines (Nose), and Finch (Buck).
- Depth will likely be a rotation of Ferriter (End), Finch (Buck), Scrempos (Interior), Deines (Interior), Rygg (Interior), Yates (Nose), Regimbal (Buck), Rollins (End/Interior)
- The whole unit is going to be lighter but technically very sound and athletic. All play with the attitude Choate expects from his defensive line. All four of the starters I listed are versatile along with most of the depth.
- Don't be surprised if some of the linebackers roll down to Buck on certain downs. Guys like Jobman, Kanow, Hardy, Jory Choate, and even Troy Andersen have pass rush wiggle due to their skill set. Troy is just really fast and long so even if he doesn't have a pass rush move, he can still get home when schemed effectively.

I think teams are going to test our run defense a lot this year. Choate has rebuilt the unit to finally rush the passer. Now they will just have to make sure they don't lose too much in the run stopping department. My prediction is they won't and the defensive line is going to be really good.
Yikes, I sure hope they don't make Sterk, the conference sack and TFL leader, change positions.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 28, 2019 12:21 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Yikes, I sure hope they don't make Sterk, the conference sack and TFL leader, change positions.
Sterk is a team player, so I don’t think they’ll ‘make’ him do that. Williams could very well be a better pass rusher and I think the coaches want Sterk and Williams on the field on passing downs. So even if Sterk starts at Buck, he’d probably roll to DT on passing downs with Williams at Buck.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Williams is an absolute stud and will play all over the place. Both sides of the ball.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:21 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Sterk is a team player, so I don’t think they’ll ‘make’ him do that. Williams could very well be a better pass rusher and I think the coaches want Sterk and Williams on the field on passing downs. So even if Sterk starts at Buck, he’d probably roll to DT on passing downs with Williams at Buck.
Yes, passing downs I can see moving him inside. But not starting DT, when he's a proven all-conference player at Buck. That wouldn't make much sense, but we'll see how it shakes out.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Troy played Buck end against EWU last year and totally manhandled the right tackle and almost got home to Grubrud. I remembered thinking if a Qb has ever sacked another QB before. I'm not worried about Troy's moves, he's going to be every Big Sky QBs nightmare next year.