Future schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Future schedule

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:51 pm
The Utah and Oregon State games each pay $675,000. The $2.3 million includes those two games and two others. That’s $575,000 per game. MSU is entering uncharted waters with these payouts. Not sure how many games MSU has received over $500,000 for previously, but not many.
I'd rather see an all FCS schedule, but those kind of payouts can really plug some funding gaps quickly. Looking forward to seeing how the Cats stack up against these FBS programs.
You're right.....$ makes the world go round and basically all FCS programs need to schedule FBS games from time to time to stay in the black. Although I would like to point out that last year we had an all FCS schedule (i.e. 11 game season) which is ideal. Certainly I believe that when 12 game seasons roll around like 2019, these are the best times to have a FBS game because in the end we still can achieve 11 FCS games. In the past it was fairly typical to have both a FBS game and a DII game which was problematic to say the least because we'd loose the FBS game (i.e. except Colorado in 2006? & Fresno? in 1984) and the DII win wouldn't count toward anything, which left us essentially with 9 FCS games of which we needed to win 7, for the most part, to make the playoffs.......a tough road to hoe.

So to me scheduling FBS games, which all FCS teams need to do, during 12 game seasons is the best possible way to do it. Going forward I hope that DII games are a thing of the past and we can minimalize the # of FBS games we need to schedule. GO CATS!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am

I like what MSU is doing. One FBS and two FCS. The ideal would be both FCS at home. 2020 schedule is perfect. I bet 2022 is the same. No more home-and-homes with FCS teams. Use FBS money to bring two FCS teams to MSU.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
The Utah and Oregon State games each pay $675,000. The $2.3 million includes those two games and two others. That’s $575,000 per game. MSU is entering uncharted waters with these payouts. Not sure how many games MSU has received over $500,000 for previously, but not many.
I'd rather see an all FCS schedule, but those kind of payouts can really plug some funding gaps quickly. Looking forward to seeing how the Cats stack up against these FBS programs.
You're right.....$ makes the world go round and basically all FCS programs need to schedule FBS games from time to time to stay in the black. Although I would like to point out that last year we had an all FCS schedule (i.e. 11 game season) which is ideal. Certainly I believe that when 12 game seasons roll around like 2019, these are the best times to have a FBS game because in the end we still can achieve 11 FCS games. In the past it was fairly typical to have both a FBS game and a DII game which was problematic to say the least because we'd loose the FBS game (i.e. except Colorado in 2006? & Fresno? in 1984) and the DII win wouldn't count toward anything, which left us essentially with 9 FCS games of which we needed to win 7, for the most part, to make the playoffs.......a tough road to hoe.

So to me scheduling FBS games, which all FCS teams need to do, during 12 game seasons is the best possible way to do it. Going forward I hope that DII games are a thing of the past and we can minimalize the # of FBS games we need to schedule. GO CATS!
FBS games are CRUCIAL for the "Hotties Thread"..... Preview

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed May 08, 2019 9:16 am

SACCAT wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Excellent point!

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:

Funding gap? Your allowance doesn't cover everything you want to spend money on. Its a spending problem.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am

SACCAT wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I saw the one in the middle and Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” started playing in my head.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 pm

btribby wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Because of you idiots babbling back and forth, this thread should probably be moved to the smack forum. Wow!
I agree, they argue so often I would hope the admins tell them to stop or get banned.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am
SACCAT wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I saw the one in the middle and Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” started playing in my head.
NICE BOOTS!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Cu-Ag-Au wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:

Funding gap? Your allowance doesn't cover everything you want to spend money on. Its a spending problem.
I'm trying to figure out what this means. Little help please? UM is in a spiral in terms of enrollment. It's a secondary school at this point, which is sad because many of my friends and family went there. How can UM start increasing enrollment and stop spending money on football. It's the biggest sports-only school in the Big Sky right now in basketball and football.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:27 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am
SACCAT wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

NICE BOOTS!!!
In the words of the Legendary Jack Johnson, "Spur and ride, spur and ride..."! :)

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Big congrats to SACCAT on taking this massive bleep-show of a thread and turning it into something beautiful. Who needs moderators if you've got off-season hotties threads?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Question about schools paying opponent's to travel to their venue? Using um as the example here. Where do these monies come from? If um has $21,000 left in their reserves how would they pay, ex:$200,000, to anyone? Do they hope for huge gate receipts?

This would go for all universities...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm
Question about schools paying opponent's to travel to their venue? Using um as the example here. Where do these monies come from? If um has $21,000 left in their reserves how would they pay, ex:$200,000, to anyone? Do they hope for huge gate receipts?

Yes? A lot of people go to Griz games, even if they're playing a cupcake. 20,000 X $50(?) = $1,000,000 which doesn't include concessions, merchandise, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm

The money comes from ticket sales to the game being paid for.
For example, MSU paid Monmouth $200k to come to Bozeman a few years back. 20,000 people attended, say an average of $25 per ticket, comes to $450k. $200k goes to Monmouth, MSU keeps the rest.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm

So FBS games...auditions for our players to get picked up by the opposing team in the transfer portal...?

Cool Cat
New Recruit

Post by Cool Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Said differently, it can be a great recruiting tool for us as well. It certainly hasn’t hurt NDSU by playing FBS teams. Hopefully, the Texas Tech game will be nationally televised. I can’t wait for the season to begin.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am

I was listening to Colters radio show the other day and they were talking about future schedules. I am not calling him out by the way, he just got me thinking. I have heard a ton a Griz fans, many of them friends of mine that have talked about how they wish the Big Sky would drop the California schools, making the Big Sky a better conference. Colter had brought this up on his show. It got me thinking though. I wonder how many of them would think differently if UM was still the top dog of the conference? Is this why they want them out, to get back to being one of the top teams? I used to believe that Fullerton added cupcakes because he didn’t want to see teams like UM, EWU and MSU in the middle or near bottom of the conference, since they are the money making schools. We have seen the California schools have success against UM as of late. Even UNC and PSU have showed up and beaten UM a few times now. It just got me thinking, would they be saying this is things were different in the zoo???

Punters are people too!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 09, 2019 7:23 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am
I was listening to Colters radio show the other day and they were talking about future schedules. I am not calling him out by the way, he just got me thinking. I have heard a ton a Griz fans, many of them friends of mine that have talked about how they wish the Big Sky would drop the California schools, making the Big Sky a better conference. Colter had brought this up on his show. It got me thinking though. I wonder how many of them would think differently if UM was still the top dog of the conference? Is this why they want them out, to get back to being one of the top teams? I used to believe that Fullerton added cupcakes because he didn’t want to see teams like UM, EWU and MSU in the middle or near bottom of the conference, since they are the money making schools. We have seen the California schools have success against UM as of late. Even UNC and PSU have showed up and beaten UM a few times now. It just got me thinking, would they be saying this is things were different in the zoo???
The conference is too big and it sucks to not play a full "round robin" to determine the conference champ, most agree with that. However, having California schools helps recruiting in that state, and Cali is flush with talent. For one, the coaches, who recruit, are already spending time there when they have games there. But also, kids from Cali are more likely to consider attending MSU when they know they'll have a game or two in their home state and maybe their families can see them play once or twice each year. So it has both pros and cons.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

GoCats18 wrote:
I don't remember all the in's and out's of the plan, but wasn't part of the reason we went to 13 football teams to prevent the WAC from poaching the conference to make up for all the departures to the MWC? I seem to remember concern that if we lost California, PSU, and EWU then the WAC could have possible caused the demise of the Big Sky Conference football by killing the conference.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 am

GoCats18 wrote:
The flaw in your argument is that as a whole, the Cali schools have not been particularly successful. UCD made the playoffs last year for the first time since joining the conference. Cal Poly has probably been the most successful, but they've been in the playoffs only a couple of times since they've been in the league, and they've been down near the bottom the last few years. I don't believe Sac has ever made the playoffs, but they're not really a newcomer, as they've been a member for more than 20 years now. The two Cali newcomers have been less successful overall than the other two teams that came in with them in 2012, SUU and UND.