Summer stuff 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 am
RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm
Air Force Cat wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:00 pm
It will be interesting to see what Olson does this year. I feel like their schedule is harder this year then it was last. Also, felt like Buss took a step backwards last season
Buss literally played at around 50-60% all season. Dante is a fantastic LB and should have another monster season.
If my memory is correct wasn't Buss injured preseason and was iffy for the season. If they had to put him out there in that condition it must have said something about their backups.
Yes it was an offseason injury. He and Jace Lewis split reps for most of the year and Jace was phenomenal. LB play was not a problem for the 2018 Griz despite Josh being injured. The same couldn't be said of their defensive line and corner depth.
Would you say those shortcomings on D helped Olson statistically? It's easy to see he's a special player, but do you think he takes a step back statistically if the rest of the defense is better?

Reminds me of the only quote I've ever liked from BH. He was asked to say something about Olson getting something like 22 tackles in one game and he said "who's keeping stats, his mom?" It was an obscene number.
Number of tackles can be a misleading stat. How far down the field was the tackle? Is the player playing Gap sound or cheating to make a play. All those can be hidden in a big Tackles number. I'm not saying Olson isn't good, but he and Hauck were cleaning up in the second level of the field a lot last year.
I would hope so since that was the entire design of the defense under Behr’s scheme. The DLine eats up blocks and takes on double teams while the LBs and safeties clean up, well everything. It did exactly what it was intended to as far as scheme goes. That’s why Dante and Robby has huge tackles numbers.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:29 am
RickRund wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm
Air Force Cat wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:00 pm
It will be interesting to see what Olson does this year. I feel like their schedule is harder this year then it was last. Also, felt like Buss took a step backwards last season
Buss literally played at around 50-60% all season. Dante is a fantastic LB and should have another monster season.
If my memory is correct wasn't Buss injured preseason and was iffy for the season. If they had to put him out there in that condition it must have said something about their backups.
Yes it was an offseason injury. He and Jace Lewis split reps for most of the year and Jace was phenomenal. LB play was not a problem for the 2018 Griz despite Josh being injured. The same couldn't be said of their defensive line and corner depth.
Would you say those shortcomings on D helped Olson statistically? It's easy to see he's a special player, but do you think he takes a step back statistically if the rest of the defense is better?

Reminds me of the only quote I've ever liked from BH. He was asked to say something about Olson getting something like 22 tackles in one game and he said "who's keeping stats, his mom?" It was an obscene number.
Number of tackles can be a misleading stat. How far down the field was the tackle? Is the player playing Gap sound or cheating to make a play. All those can be hidden in a big Tackles number. I'm not saying Olson isn't good, but he and Hauck were cleaning up in the second level of the field a lot last year.
Sort of begs the question... Was he the only one who got any tackles (DLine sucked) or were they running at the weakest link?
Turn on any game tape of any Griz game last year and Dante jumps off the tape immediately. He had 50 more tackles than any player in the Big Sky at the end of the year while also putting up 11 tackles for a loss, 6 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles. I am all for throwing shade at the Griz but making up a narrative that Dante Olson is overrated because of an over inflated tackle total? That ain't it. We can do much better.
For the record, I'm definitely not throwing shade, I'm just curious if we'll see different numbers with a better overall defense. Didn't mean a bit of disrespect.


Image

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8709
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:18 am



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:18 am
Choate has the same effect on everyone. Even fellow head coaches. I feel better now.



AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Just spotted this advertisement on Bobcat Nation of all places. :lol:




Image


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by allcat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:50 pm
Just spotted this advertisement on Bobcat Nation of all places. :lol:




Image
what advertisement? it showed up after i posted.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:56 pm

I just happened to turn on pluto.tv to see the stuff again. Thanks for the reminder!


Image

bobcat99
Member # Retired
Posts: 2947
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Advertisements have to do with your browsing history.

;)



kwcat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by kwcat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone hear how the NFL high school combine went in Bozeman? Though it was this morning.



User avatar
Go Scats Go
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: MT

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:32 pm

kwcat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Anyone hear how the NFL high school combine went in Bozeman? Though it was this morning.
Saturday Morn at 9AM


CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

kwcat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by kwcat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:50 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:32 pm
kwcat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Anyone hear how the NFL high school combine went in Bozeman? Though it was this morning.
Saturday Morn at 9AM
Thanks for the info.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8709
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 am





"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8709
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9487
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Interesting...


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast @RRCatCast

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Did we lose our strength and conditioning coach?



Cat4LifeHouseDivided
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Did we lose our strength and conditioning coach?
It looks like it is for the assistant strength coach. I found a job posting from a month ago so Willcox is still there from what I can tell.



User avatar
Montanabob
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Did we lose our strength and conditioning coach?
It looks like it is for the assistant strength coach. I found a job posting from a month ago so Willcox is still there from what I can tell.
Don't think so. A top strength and conditioning coach at CAA school coming back to Montana as an assistant? Nope.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Did we lose our strength and conditioning coach?
It looks like it is for the assistant strength coach. I found a job posting from a month ago so Willcox is still there from what I can tell.
Don't think so. A top strength and conditioning coach at CAA school coming back to Montana as an assistant? Nope.
He is older and wanting to return home. The job posting is a month old, specifically referenced as an assistant position and listed Willcox as the point of contact. Do you think he would be hiring his replacement? MSU directory also shows a tbd under assistant strength coach.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9487
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:12 pm

He’s 74 and looks like a Montana native. I bet he just wants to retire at home, but being an assistant he can still do something he clearly loves to do but without the full responsibly as the head guy. Good addition, guys has a ton of experience at this level.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast @RRCatCast

AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Summer stuff 2019

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 pm

He is a UM grad.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

Post Reply