High School tranfer , MHA Fine

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

High School tranfer , MHA Fine

Post by stevo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:16 am

https://montanasports.com/high-school/f ... N7LIqSLOEA

Looks like People are not playing by the Ryles.
I cant believe the $100.00 fine. That will stop the problem.
Last edited by stevo on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Jaxon Lee, MHA Fine

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 am

Happens all the time, finally a smaller school said something. Not surprising when the AD is the football coach.

It would've been a $50 fine a year ago, they finally decided to join the 19th century with the fines. I guess a $100 fine can be steep for a small Class C school but it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist for Sentinel. I think fines should be calculated by how many students a school has and therefore how much money that school receives from the State. Otherwise none of this will ever stop. They're not going to punish the kid, which I agree with, so Sentinel pays $100 to get a great athlete and everything just goes on like nothing really happened.

Incidentally it's the exact same fine if a coach doesn't watch the online rules clinic at the beginning of the season. I don't think the MHSA is all that concerned with recruiting.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 am
I don't think the MHSA is all that concerned with recruiting.
Spot on! Happens all the time and they turn the other cheek.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am

Beckman did say the student involved was not found to be guilty of any wrongdoing and will not lose any athletic eligibility over the ruling.

"There was no penalty to any student involved," Beckman said.
http://406mtsports.com/high-school/foot ... 4c35c.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 am

If you guys want to get caught up on the finer "details" of both sides here, check out this Egriz thread: https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82264.

The reality here is that Jaxon wanted to go to a bigger school to get more spotlight on his recruitment and improve as a player against a higher level of competition.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am

This has been going on at AA schools around the state since forever. Knowing what I know of many parents here in Bozeman in regards to athletics...I am so curious to see how this will all play out when the 2nd high school opens. I predict an absolute circus. I've seen people ship their kids off to Missoula and Great Falls for softball and basketball when they were as young as 9-10. You really think these same people won't immediately know which school is the "good school" for whatever sport and make damn sure their kid doesn't go there one way or another?

Going to be fascinating for sure.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 am
If you guys want to get caught up on the finer "details" of both sides here, check out this Egriz thread: https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82264.

The reality here is that Jaxon wanted to go to a bigger school to get more spotlight on his recruitment and improve as a player against a higher level of competition.
Totally. It's just like a kid wanting to pick his options of which colleges give him the best opportunities. But those colleges still recruit even though the kid is pursuing, and within the MHSA, recruiting is still illegal.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am
This has been going on at AA schools around the state since forever. Knowing what I know of many parents here in Bozeman in regards to athletics...I am so curious to see how this will all play out when the 2nd high school opens. I predict an absolute circus. I've seen people ship their kids off to Missoula and Great Falls for softball and basketball when they were as young as 9-10. You really think these same people won't immediately know which school is the "good school" for whatever sport and make damn sure their kid doesn't go there one way or another?

Not just in AA. The first I knew of this was with Whitefish head basketball coach Julio Delgado in the 90s. A great athletes parents would miraculously get jobs in or around the town of Whitefish and it just happened to work out that their son would then be able to play basketball the next school year. Crazy how crazy coincidences work out like that... :-^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Stacking teams does happen. I think teams that do that and then win state have to have somewhat of an empty feeling unless the team they beat does it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Yeah, this stuff has been going on forever. I remember back in 1981 when CMR got caught using two players (brothers) that didn't live in the school district. The players had attended Great Falls High the year before, never moved, but went to CMR the next year. If I remember correctly, the MHSA made CMR forfeit 7 games. That was a killer since CMR was undefeated and going to the playoffs. CMR was the defending state champions too. CMR appealed the decision, which was rare and never successful before. The CMR appeal was denied and the decision wasn't even close. CMR decided to go to court and in a Great Falls court, in front of a Great Falls judge, an injunction was issued against the MHSA. I believe the case went to the state supreme court and they ruled in favor of CMR. CMR was allowed to participate in the playoffs. It was big scandal at the time and CMR was not looked favorably by the other high school teams, administrators, and fans. Thankfully, Butte beat CMR in the championship that year 14 - 6.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Played HS AA basketball with two small school transfers in the late 1980s. One from Hobson and one from Gardiner and they were the best two players on our team. Both played college ball.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

This has been happening in C and B for years. It happens a lot in C.

Mike Chavez
AJ Long Soldier
Cheryl Keller
Toni Ricci
There are many more along the hi-line, these are just the ones that come to mind quickly.

Muller from Billings is another recently.

If your left, you aren’t right.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

It will be a few years, guessing 5 to 10, before either either team/school is relevant in Football, meaning even hitting .500. I agree one school will start to pull away(recruiting) . This area will have 3 AA, sub par football teams. I think every multi-high school town has 1 stronger sport, that draws student/athletes. Interesting times ahead.

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 am
Happens all the time, finally a smaller school said something. Not surprising when the AD is the football coach.
...and the Principal, and the Superintendent. Small town fiefdom at its worst.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

It will be a few years, guessing 5 to 10, before either either team/school is relevant in Football, meaning even hitting .500. I agree one school will start to pull away(recruiting) . This area will have 3 AA, sub par football teams. I think every multi-high school town has 1 stronger sport, that draws student/athletes. Interesting times ahead.
You may be right, but Capital and CMR both took off in football right after they opened. To a lesser extent so has Glacier.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Played HS AA basketball with two small school transfers in the late 1980s. One from Hobson and one from Gardiner and they were the best two players on our team. Both played college ball.
You guys had Travis and Wyatt. Bozeman High had Nate Fry from a C school and also Shawn Fuller who was originally at Livingston.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

You may be right, but Capital and CMR both took off in football right after they opened. To a lesser extent so has Glacier.
Glacier and flathead are both good. Big Fork is good. Lots of good athletes up there. Lots of good athletes in the Gallatin. Give it 5 and we will have 2 good finesse teams in bzm and 1 good grind it out power team in Belgrade.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm
Stacking teams does happen. I think teams that do that and then win state have to have somewhat of an empty feeling unless the team they beat does it.
See Bishop Gorman in Vegas.....a few other schools in SoCal. Montana is little league compared to these schools with "stacking".

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:27 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm
See Bishop Gorman in Vegas.....a few other schools in SoCal. Montana is little league compared to these schools with "stacking".
You’re right it’s rampant relative to Montana in some states. That doesn’t change my thought on it here. I don’t consider it stacking a team every time someone transfers. Some players are on teams that aren’t a good fit.

toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:13 am

Transferring to a school that actually plays 11 man football, and will have more exposure for athletes, is not a problem at all.

Let's think of the kids here.