Observations from the Spring game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Observations from the Spring game

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:50 pm
Did anyone happen to count the drops by receivers yesterday? Just off the top of my head I remember 7, 3 of which were Willie P. No matter who the QB is that has to change this year, especially Willie who had the same issues before getting hurt last year.
No!!!! All those bad passes that hit the receivers in the damn hands were all on the quarterbacks--who were running for their lives behind those great lines...you know, the ones that literally manhandled NDSU...Chris and Troy aren't any good and Troy probably shouldn't have been All-Conference...those other coaches need to read what they experts on this site think of him...and Messingham too for that matter...Messingham doesn't know Jack Sh!t about what type of plays to call...
You never knew who tackled Ron Baines. Credibility...gone.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Wow, quite the array of random thoughts in that rant.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Did anyone happen to count the drops by receivers yesterday? Just off the top of my head I remember 7, 3 of which were Willie P. No matter who the QB is that has to change this year, especially Willie who had the same issues before getting hurt last year.

Step back from the ledge, remember its only spring ball, it doesn't count. Or go ahead and jump...... I'm excited for next year, we have a great group of guys who work their tails off all year.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

Step back from the ledge, remember its only spring ball, it doesn't count. Or go ahead and jump...... I'm excited for next year, we have a great group of guys who work their tails off all year.
What ledge? If I'd said our QBs are awful we're gonna suck that would be a ledge. I don't think that by the way. Dropped passes are dropped passes at any point in time. That's one of those things that you can't say "it's only spring ball" about. Especially a guy like Willie P who had that issue last year as well.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:40 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
That and...Did anyone notice how hard the wind was blowing? Jonsen — the guy the “Official Game Day” crew was incessantly maligning (along with every single player and coach on the team) made a great catch of a wind blown ball.
That was a great catch. He made a perfect adjustment and high pointed the ball. Didn't see much of him yesterday but he looked good.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
No!!!! All those bad passes that hit the receivers in the damn hands were all on the quarterbacks--who were running for their lives behind those great lines...you know, the ones that literally manhandled NDSU...Chris and Troy aren't any good and Troy probably shouldn't have been All-Conference...those other coaches need to read what they experts on this site think of him...and Messingham too for that matter...Messingham doesn't know Jack Sh!t about what type of plays to call...
...it’s always that last drink that gets ya...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

What ledge? If I'd said our QBs are awful we're gonna suck that would be a ledge. I don't think that by the way. Dropped passes are dropped passes at any point in time. That's one of those things that you can't say "it's only spring ball" about. Especially a guy like Willie P who had that issue last year as well.
Your upset about dropped passes, its spring ball, they don't practice every day like its fall ball, the D is way ahead of the O, the wind was horrible. The first portion of the scrimmage was VERY fast past, they hardly had time to get set. I would say yesterday was on par with previous spring games. It was mostly done for the fans. Correct me if I wrong Choate doesn't like spring practice, does it because it's a formality of the NCAA. The time is used for the younger guys to get reps and build their "resume"(per Choate).

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:14 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 pm
1. Size, size, size. Sterk, Beson, TA, Sumner, Askelson, L Kidd J Choate all impressed me with look.

2. Dline with Marx and Beson at Tackles was fast. We look deep at LB.

3. Offense was vanilla, but II and SumnerLOOKS SOLID.

4. Rovig looked good, but Chris did too in drills.if Chris is eligible, he will be hard to turn away, such an athlete.

5 Sterk and William’s are WOW.
Defense is gonna be solid, and I agree about Murray. It's been my belief all along that if he's eligible, he'll be the guy. Glad to hear rovig is playing well, might be a good contest in fall ball.
Goldstone, can you tell me why you feel the staff wouldn’t go with Rovig and move Murray so they can both be on the field at the same time? I’ve beenlabeled a “hater” when it comes to Chris—I’m not—but I do think we need to get out of the “run first but not a great passer” quarterback business. I’d love to hear your insight.
2 or 3 reasons, and to be sure, this is just one guy's opinion. 1) Rovig, while he's clearly beaten out Bauman and Beltran, maybe hasn't done enough this spring to lock down the position. If someone closer to the program than I wants to refute that I'll gladly back down, but if Murray is eligible I'm betting the competition continues into fall. 2) Murray is a great athlete, and a dynamic threat, but I don't think he has an obvious second position. I don't see him as the athletic and physical specimen Jonsen is, for example. 3) we've all heard choate say enough times that he believes the QB being +1 in the run game is a winning matchup for the offense, that i won't believe we're going another way until he definitively says otherwise. I think troy was a force of nature back there, but I think Murray is both a better passer and runner than troy. I'm happy with whomever gives us the best chance, and if it's Rovig I'm all in, but that's my rationale (guess) at this point.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 am

It's been said a few times, but the starting QB will be the one that is most trusted by the team mates. That's why it was TA last year. If CM is full go in the Fall I anticipate a close race between him and TR.

Lastly, if it ends up being TR - visualize Travis Jonsen, Kevin Kassis, Jabarri Johnson, and Chris Murray starring at the receiver positions. Add in our kick ass veteran O line, and Ifanse and Jones at RB with TA and others sprinkled in. That is some fire power.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:21 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 am
It's been said a few times, but the starting QB will be the one that is most trusted by the team mates. That's why it was TA last year. If CM is full go in the Fall I anticipate a close race between him and TR.

Lastly, if it ends up being TR - visualize Travis Jonsen, Kevin Kassis, Jabarri Johnson, and Chris Murray starring at the receiver positions. Add in our kick ass veteran O line, and Ifanse and Jones at RB with TA and others sprinkled in. That is some fire power.
I think the slot receiver position is going to be really good with Coy Steel(my pick for MIP) and Willie Patterson. McCutcheon will hopefully take a step forward. Will Tullis and Campbell get involved? Do the Montana boys(Hanser, Klienhans, and Estes) take the next step? Could any of the newcomers(Jaden I'm looking at you) make a dent?

I'm also incredibly excited about RB because if we can make it through fall without the absolute gutting at the position we got last year, we have 8 guys(Ifanse, Jones, Cauley, Sumner, Tucker, Burgess, Hosey, Perry) that we can roll with to keep everyone fresh. And that doesn't even take into account the WC carries we should be getting from Jonsen/Kassis/Murray(if he doesn't start) and those "8-10" plays a game from Andersen.

So yes, that is some firepower!!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 am

The defensive backs and LBs and DEs are amazing. Benson at DT is a stud. When Sterk goes to DT on passing downs it’s going to be a sight to see. Deines is looking solid at DT, but remains a ? until go time. The biggest ? is depth at DT. Rygg and Yates(?) and who else?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am

Rovig had good numbers 8-14-0 134 yards. Especially when you consider the wind and the vanilla offense. Not ready to anoint him the starter yet, but if that’s as bad as it gets that’s okay by me.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am
Rovig had good numbers 8-14-0 134 yards. Especially when you consider the wind and the vanilla offense. Not ready to anoint him the starter yet, but if that’s as bad as it gets that’s okay by me.
Yards per pass attempt is about best passing metric. I really like these numbers.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm
iaafan wrote:
Yards per pass attempt is about best passing metric. I really like these numbers.
Did we score a td every time he led the offense? I felt like we only really seemed to move the ball with him in. Granted that isn't all him but the difference was night and day.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Cledus wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm
iaafan wrote:
Did we score a td every time he led the offense? I felt like we only really seemed to move the ball with him in. Granted that isn't all him but the difference was night and day.
I didn't see it. I've been going by what's posted here.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

rockyMTNcat
New Recruit

Post by rockyMTNcat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

I've heard that he may not return to football. Really sad injury
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:32 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 pm
SpeedCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:03 pm
Jalen Cole was not listed on the Spring Roster provided today. Didn't see him on the field or on the sideline. Any news that I missed.
Jalen was on the sideline in civies. He sat out the scrimmage.
He is still trying to work his way back from the nasty head/neck injury he suffered against the Griz.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm

:shock: Whoever said Kassis looked like a bodybuilder, you ain’t kidding!!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm
:shock: Whoever said Kassis looked like a bodybuilder, you ain’t kidding!!

You should see his sister.

Who actually is a body builder.