Observations from the Spring game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Observations from the Spring game

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:43 pm
I only watched a little bit on TV, but I saw Bauman get sacked by #20 bc he didn't feel the pressure and didn't step up well. Gotta get rid of the ball young man! Fast decisions are necessary for a QB. This is to be expected though, he's young and inexperienced.

Rovig looks like he's the starter. Good for him. I was wrong about him, it appears.
I believe that was Rovig that was sacked on that play. You can watch it on the video highlite.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 pm
1. Size, size, size. Sterk, Beson, TA, Sumner, Askelson, L Kidd J Choate all impressed me with look.

2. Dline with Marx and Beson at Tackles was fast. We look deep at LB.

3. Offense was vanilla, but II and SumnerLOOKS SOLID.

4. Rovig looked good, but Chris did too in drills.if Chris is eligible, he will be hard to turn away, such an athlete.

5 Sterk and William’s are WOW.
Defense is gonna be solid, and I agree about Murray. It's been my belief all along that if he's eligible, he'll be the guy. Glad to hear rovig is playing well, might be a good contest in fall ball.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:10 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:02 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
I only watched a little bit on TV, but I saw Bauman get sacked by #20 bc he didn't feel the pressure and didn't step up well. Gotta get rid of the ball young man! Fast decisions are necessary for a QB. This is to be expected though, he's young and inexperienced.

Rovig looks like he's the starter. Good for him. I was wrong about him, it appears.
I believe that was Rovig that was sacked on that play. You can watch it on the video highlite.
It was Bauman that got sacked by 20. Happened right in front of me.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It was Bauman. If he wasn't in red it would have been a monster hit and a strip sack.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:14 pm
Besides the weather (wind and rain), it’s fun to watch football again! The players look good, fast, and strong! So far, Tucker Rovig is trending the right direction and looks good, as of now he definitely looks the part of the QB front runner for the Fall. Under Coach Ioane, the defense definitely looks different. Less penetrating up front by the D-line, but faster on the back end, swarming to the ball quicker. There are things to be excited about out here today, what did you guys see that you did or didn’t like?
Less penetrating in the front is a problem. You need that for guys on the back end. No penetration up front has been our problem since Minter left.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It was most definitely #7.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 pm
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It was Bauman. If he wasn't in red it would have been a monster hit and a strip sack.
It was 100% Rovig, #12 (go to :33 in the Twitter post from AFCat and see for yourself). He saw the blitz coming and had zero time to react. I believe he was heated at Travis Jonsen because Jonsen should've tried to chip Price on the blitz. They figured it out however because then Tucker found him for 53 later in the scrimmage. Tucker was good today. He's much more confident in his ability to lead this spring. And that miscue was a good example.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm

#12 is Rovig

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:58 pm

I think we're talking about 2 different sacks. Funny.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It was 100% Rovig, #12 (go to :33 in the Twitter post from AFCat and see for yourself). He saw the blitz coming and had zero time to react. I believe he was heated at Travis Jonsen because Jonsen should've tried to chip Price on the blitz. They figured it out however because then Tucker found him for 53 later in the scrimmage. Tucker was good today. He's much more confident in his ability to lead this spring. And that miscue was a good example.
I was curious if this was the play you were talking about. Yes, sounds like Rovig isn’t having issues with commanding the huddle.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Two different plays. Believe the Bauman one happened first.

I am 100% confident it was Bauman. He's got a way different build, and he moves different in the pocket.

I love NB blitzes btw. They're great against unsuspecting QB's.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 pm

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Adding a few of my observations.

Wow that weather turned cold compared to what it was like in the morning.

As others have said, this team is loaded with physical specimans out there. Wow.

Punting....... already a proven commodity but wow watching him warm up, what a weapon.

CM - Didn't get snaps in the actual scrimmage but watching him in warmups\drills, he can really spin the ball despite what others have said.

NO MAJOR INJURIES!!!

IMHO this is a playoff team, that will content for the Big Sky title.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 pm

My observation is that rovig is ahead of bauman but both are a long ways away from being starters. I never thought I’d say this, but if Chris Murray is eligible, he is our starter and it’s not close.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 pm
My observation is that rovig is ahead of bauman but both are a long ways away from being starters. I never thought I’d say this, but if Chris Murray is eligible, he is our starter and it’s not close.
You are right. CM is still above anybody else we have right now, said it last year too.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 pm

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 am

Very interesting conversations about the Spring game. Love the comments about Rovig versus Murray. I have seen neither play so I am simply prognosticating, but until Murray throws for 300 in any game he is behind Murray on that end. Now, Rovig will NEVER be a threat to run like Murray, so it would come down to "who uses the resources of the offensive tool shed" the best? I think, again prognosticating here, that Rovig will win in that game BECAUSE he can't run like Murray!

Think of it this way. IF you play Murray at QB you sit Rovig and lose his passing game. BUT, if you Play Rovig, you likely DON'T sit Murray and keep his running game. I think that is a win/win with Rovig at the helm.

Just my 2 cents.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am

Murray has thrown for over 300 yards in a game, and against a far better team than Wagner.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:05 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 pm
1. Size, size, size. Sterk, Beson, TA, Sumner, Askelson, L Kidd J Choate all impressed me with look.

2. Dline with Marx and Beson at Tackles was fast. We look deep at LB.

3. Offense was vanilla, but II and SumnerLOOKS SOLID.

4. Rovig looked good, but Chris did too in drills.if Chris is eligible, he will be hard to turn away, such an athlete.

5 Sterk and William’s are WOW.
Defense is gonna be solid, and I agree about Murray. It's been my belief all along that if he's eligible, he'll be the guy. Glad to hear rovig is playing well, might be a good contest in fall ball.
Goldstone, can you tell me why you feel the staff wouldn’t go with Rovig and move Murray so they can both be on the field at the same time? I’ve beenlabeled a “hater” when it comes to Chris—I’m not—but I do think we need to get out of the “run first but not a great passer” quarterback business. I’d love to hear your insight.