MSU football signee Jaharie Martin robbed of Florida power lifting title

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU football signee Jaharie Martin robbed of Florida power lifting title

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 pm
Would not be surprised if he starts at middle linebacker next year.

Check that.

Would not be surprised if he’s all-BSC next year.

Check that.

Would not be surprised if he’s BSC DPOY next year.

I’ve never seen anyone who looks like him coming out of high school in the BSC. 6-1, 238 and ripped.
Truly, never. He is such a specimen and he has unreal instincts, sideline to sideline speed and a penchant to hit. I know MSU is VERY high on him. We intentionally did not print this story until we confirmed his arrival on campus for summer school. It seemed "too good to be true" until he actually made it to Montana. I immediately thought about Eric Prevost when I first saw him. But Martin is bigger, stronger and comes from a much higher level of football.

People can talk about Southern California and Texas and Georgia...there is no high school football in America like the prep football played at the top classification in Florida. And Martin dominated that level, earning MVP of the undefeated state championship team. Excited to cover his career.
Now I’m even more excited about this guy. He stands out so much that Hudl doesn’t even need to use its circle or pointer. Everyone on the field knows he’s going to get the ball on the goal line, but they still can’t stop him.

What clip is the screen pass on?

18 touchdowns on 34 carries. 27.5 tackles for loss out of 120 tackles.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am

How'd we get this guy?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 pm
I think I'm going to love this kid.
If he comes in and works his ass off, take in all the coaching, remains humble, understands his place as a newbie and respects the leadership on this team..... I think he could become a special player.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

I’ve never seen anyone who looks like him coming out of high school in the BSC. 6-1, 238 and ripped.
Truly, never. He is such a specimen and he has unreal instincts, sideline to sideline speed and a penchant to hit. I know MSU is VERY high on him. We intentionally did not print this story until we confirmed his arrival on campus for summer school. It seemed "too good to be true" until he actually made it to Montana. I immediately thought about Eric Prevost when I first saw him. But Martin is bigger, stronger and comes from a much higher level of football.

People can talk about Southern California and Texas and Georgia...there is no high school football in America like the prep football played at the top classification in Florida. And Martin dominated that level, earning MVP of the undefeated state championship team. Excited to cover his career.
Dude! You just brought a tear to my eye. I didn’t want to make the Eric Prevost reference first. But you’re so right this guy is another level up the Richter scale from Prevost. Definitely smart to wait for him to get on campus first. Should be forever known as “The Prevost Rule.”

He blocked a punt then ran for a TD on the next play from scrimmage in the state semifinals. And those aren’t his primary positions. I mean, what?
For those who forgot the Eric Prevost saga, he was one of the studs in the much-hyped 2014 signing class. His tape was freakish and he was the slotted to be the next great pass-rusher at DE. It was too bad he never saw a college football field.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Dude! You just brought a tear to my eye. I didn’t want to make the Eric Prevost reference first. But you’re so right this guy is another level up the Richter scale from Prevost. Definitely smart to wait for him to get on campus first. Should be forever known as “The Prevost Rule.”

He blocked a punt then ran for a TD on the next play from scrimmage in the state semifinals. And those aren’t his primary positions. I mean, what?
For those who forgot the Eric Prevost saga, he was one of the studs in the much-hyped 2014 signing class. His tape was freakish and he was the slotted to be the next great pass-rusher at DE. It was too bad he never saw a college football field.

I remembered, and then spent 5 minutes Googling to see whatever happened to him. Nothing, well at least not football wise.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am
How'd we get this guy?
No kidding. Was it his height?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
How'd we get this guy?
6'1"

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 pm

He’s built almost identically to Brad Daly when he was a senior. Martin is heavier and stronger than Daly was coming out of high school. Daly was 198.

Daly and Martin are both listed as 6-1, but probably closer to 6-0. Martin listed at 238, Daly was 240 as a senior. Martin played DE his junior year.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

man.... what an animal!

Start playing the "what if" game.... What if he would have made it to campus, and what if Marino would not have been a complete lunatic..... those to guys alone may have been talented enough to make up for all the defensive issues that ultimately cost Rob Ash his job..... (they still would have had the team chemistry issues, but they probably would have been winning more)... who knows, if Prevost would have made it here, maybe rob ash is still the head coach. kinda interesting to think about.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Wow, aND I was worried about our lb corps this year. Might be a really fun year to watch this group. Guessing Anderson, Hill, and Cozzie will be projected starters? But sunds like Martin, Hardy, and Gilman might be in the mix. Martins film looks great, verty excited to watch him play.
Any thoughts?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:13 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:59 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Wow, aND I was worried about our lb corps this year. Might be a really fun year to watch this group. Guessing Anderson, Hill, and Cozzie will be projected starters? But sunds like Martin, Hardy, and Gilman might be in the mix. Martins film looks great, verty excited to watch him play.
Any thoughts?
Hill likely will retire due to his back recovery taking priority. Troy Andersen will likely start at Sam with Daniel Hardy being his primary backup. Then the rest is completely wide open. Michael Jobman will be in the mix at Mike and Will. Redshirt Freshman Nolan Askelson and Jory Choate are going to push everyone and Nolan has a chance at winning the MLB job. Chad Kanow, Tadan Gilman, Blake Flovin, Daniel Hardy, Walker Cozzie, Callahan O'Reilly and maybe Jaharie Martin will all be in the mix.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm

iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Just because someone looks the part does not always translate to success. We'll see and he won't start at LB. If this were true then he'd surely be playing for the Gators, Noles, or Canes. Just stop. This is the stupidest post I've seen. Seriously. He will not do any of the above next year...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Just because someone looks the part does not always translate to success. We'll see and he won't start at LB. If this were true then he'd surely be playing for the Gators, Noles, or Canes. Just stop. This is the stupidest post I've seen. Seriously. He will not do any of the above next year...
Ok coach! :lol:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm

It's not out of the question that Martin sees the field a ton next year. With how MSU's defense has been working there isn't always necessarily a "starter", so maybe he doesn't "start" but @Anacomando you make it seem like there has never been a freshman come in, win a starting job and become an all-conference player. It has happened, and when it does happen it's because a guy is physically ready, and Jaharie Martin is.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm

So VIM are you thinking it's a given he won't red shirt?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

I’m not saying I agree with the original post, but it’s not impossible. For example- Troy Andersen dominated from the second he walked on campus as a true frosh. This guy looks to be just as physically mature as Troy.... guys like cooper Kup and Kane ioane did it... it’s not impossible. I’m not saying he is the next TA... but he is definitely a pretty intriguing true freshman.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm
So VIM are you thinking it's a given he won't red shirt?
If I was a betting man, I say he does not redshirt.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:26 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
How'd we get this guy?
Yes.

When he went to camps, he measured in at 5'10 220. Fortunately for us, that's a big strike for larger schools in his area. Now it's very possible he has grown since then, but most recruiting at big schools happens the summer between JR and SR year, with some exception. That's when guys get noticed. So if a guy grows a bit during his SR year, it often gets unnoticed.

How tall is he? I couldn't tell you. Maybe he's grown vertically since then, maybe he hasn't, I don't care. He looks like a damn good player, which is what I care about.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:26 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
How'd we get this guy?
Yes.

When he went to camps, he measured in at 5'10 220. Fortunately for us, that's a big strike for larger schools in his area. Now it's very possible he has grown since then, but most recruiting at big schools happens the summer between JR and SR year, with some exception. That's when guys get noticed. So if a guy grows a bit during his SR year, it often gets unnoticed.

How tall is he? I couldn't tell you. Maybe he's grown vertically since then, maybe he hasn't, I don't care. He looks like a damn good player, which is what I care about.
He’s about 6’0”. McGhee measured 5’11” at his Pro Day and is listed at that on every draft evaluation site I’ve seen. The picture of them standing together has Martin appearing to be an inch taller. McGhee could be crouching or Martin on his toes or with thicker soled shoes.

At this level, and with his size and strength, it shouldn’t matter. But you never know.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Looks like he’s a great short yardage back. He scored 18 rushing touchdowns on 34 carries. I’m guessing most of the 16 carries that weren’t TDs were third and fourth and 1 carries.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber