MSU football signee Jaharie Martin robbed of Florida power lifting title

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

MSU football signee Jaharie Martin robbed of Florida power lifting title

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU football signee Jaharie Martin robbed of Florida power lifting title

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 pm

I wonder if Montana athletes overall would be bigger if MHSA sanctioned a high school sport for weightlifting. Maybe the 125 lb freshman who doesn’t play football his freshman year would go out for weights and could be 175 lbs of muscle by his senior year.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:04 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 pm
I wonder if Montana athletes overall would be bigger if MHSA sanctioned a high school sport for weightlifting. Maybe the 125 lb freshman who doesn’t play football his freshman year would go out for weights and could be 175 lbs of muscle by his senior year.
Several people have mentioned on BN before that athletes that come out of the state of Montana have such a big upside when the get on the campuses of MSU and um. Mainly because a lot of them are two to four sport athletes. Once they get on campus and get dialed in on football, which includes the weight room they tend to come into their own and shine.

Hating the griz since 02.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:36 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 pm
Probably not! The guys that would compete in a weightlifting sport (Power Lifting, Olympic Lifting, Strong Man) already lift and would now have a fun and competitive outlet for their lifting. Kids that don't lift in HS would not suddenly want to start lifting just because a competition exists. Your typically good at something because you love it. I like the idea from the standpoint of giving HS kids another chance to compete. Competition can help a kid in many ways other than the chosen sport. The only issue I see is I am not a fan of anyone under the age of 18 lifting heavy. Can and has created problems for their future (sooner or later). The body is still growing (some more than others) and the strain can cause problems that can and has lasted for a lifetime.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 am

Look up Mark Anderson from Lweistown MT. 2001 recruit form Standford. He came out of HS a beast. Looked like he was ready to compete in a body building show at 18. Never worked out for him. The heavy lifting took it's toll.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am

Montana does have a Powerlifting competition for High Schoolers. I don't believe that it's sanctioned by MHSA. The state event was held last weekend.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 am
Look up Mark Anderson from Lweistown MT. 2001 recruit form Standford. He came out of HS a beast. Looked like he was ready to compete in a body building show at 18. Never worked out for him. The heavy lifting took it's toll.
I was going to say the same thing--his knees I believe.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:04 pm

It's too bad Jaharie Martin isn't from Montana, he'll never see the field because he's from Florida...according to some nameless expert! :roll:

(Jaharie, if you're listening, which you shouldn't be, but just in case, there is nothing to the statement quoted above but a good natured jab at a fellow poster)! 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm

I’m still trying to figure out how 295+325=660.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm
Come on, keep up... It's new math

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
The article now says 295+365. Maybe somebody noticed the same thing and fixed it.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
dUMb math.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 pm

I think I'm going to love this kid.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Would not be surprised if he starts at middle linebacker next year.

Check that.

Would not be surprised if he’s all-BSC next year.

Check that.

Would not be surprised if he’s BSC DPOY next year.

I’ve never seen anyone who looks like him coming out of high school in the BSC. 6-1, 238 and ripped.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:02 pm

He already looks to be in beast-mode so i was curious about is speed. Watching some of his film i didn't see a lot of speed but on one play he showed some, knifing through and blocking a punt.

Edit: So am thinking it was just the sampling of plays i watched is all.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Check that.

Check that.

I’ve never seen anyone who looks like him coming out of high school in the BSC. 6-1, 238 and ripped.
Truly, never. He is such a specimen and he has unreal instincts, sideline to sideline speed and a penchant to hit. I know MSU is VERY high on him. We intentionally did not print this story until we confirmed his arrival on campus for summer school. It seemed "too good to be true" until he actually made it to Montana. I immediately thought about Eric Prevost when I first saw him. But Martin is bigger, stronger and comes from a much higher level of football.

People can talk about Southern California and Texas and Georgia...there is no high school football in America like the prep football played at the top classification in Florida. And Martin dominated that level, earning MVP of the undefeated state championship team. Excited to cover his career.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Truly, never. He is such a specimen and he has unreal instincts, sideline to sideline speed and a penchant to hit. I know MSU is VERY high on him. We intentionally did not print this story until we confirmed his arrival on campus for summer school. It seemed "too good to be true" until he actually made it to Montana. I immediately thought about Eric Prevost when I first saw him. But Martin is bigger, stronger and comes from a much higher level of football.

People can talk about Southern California and Texas and Georgia...there is no high school football in America like the prep football played at the top classification in Florida. And Martin dominated that level, earning MVP of the undefeated state championship team. Excited to cover his career.
Dude! You just brought a tear to my eye. I didn’t want to make the Eric Prevost reference first. But you’re so right this guy is another level up the Richter scale from Prevost. Definitely smart to wait for him to get on campus first. Should be forever known as “The Prevost Rule.”

He blocked a punt then ran for a TD on the next play from scrimmage in the state semifinals. And those aren’t his primary positions. I mean, what?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm
iaafan wrote:

Check that.

Check that.

Dude! You just brought a tear to my eye. I didn’t want to make the Eric Prevost reference first. But you’re so right this guy is another level up the Richter scale from Prevost. Definitely smart to wait for him to get on campus first. Should be forever known as “The Prevost Rule.”

He blocked a punt then ran for a TD on the next play from scrimmage in the state semifinals. And those aren’t his primary positions. I mean, what?
His moves on the screen pass he catches in the flat and his overall speed... :shock:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

He returns an onside kick for a TD around the 1:55 minute mark...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast