QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: QB Update

Post by imacat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 am

I would not say Rovig is a better passer than Murray. Before Murray left he was far and away the better QB in spring ball running and throwing. I hope Rovig or another comes out on top but until they prove it I’m not seeing anybody above Chris right now. Again, I hope I’m wrong
[/quote]

Why would you hope you are wrong? I just want the QB that gives us the best chance to win.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:59 am

Kill this thread until August 15

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:59 am
Kill this thread until August 15
Maybe until after the Sonny Holland game.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am
technoCat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:35 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 am
seataccat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm
Would you be saying Murray is behind the others if he had been injured for a year instead?
Well, if he had blown his knee he might be physically behind the others, but his understanding (timing, chemistry) would be ahead of three guys with just a fraction of the experience.

At this point no one is ahead of him in that regard.

Murray isn’t a good passer. If someone is going to beat him out it’ll be because they’re significantly better at that aspect. If they’re only marginally better, they won’t beat him out because no one else can run anything like him.
Murray wins the foot race, Rovig will win the QB battle based on his capacity to distribute the ball. And someone will actually say this season of Rovig, "wow, his wheels are better than I thought..."! I don't think Coach wants to get painted into a corner again at QB like the previous years where we could only basically run it. So, the question should be, 'has Murray progressed and developed enough into a passer to be given a legitimate chance to win the QB battle?"

It would be great if he did, but I would say his focus has been more on academics than passing...but I will wait to see how it pans out in Spring/Fall camp.
When did Rovig show that he has more ability than Murry to distribute the ball? The Wagner game? How 'bout the SDSU game? I am certainly not saying he won't develop into a fine QB for us but assuming that he gives us a better chance to win than CM seems like a stretch to me. I hope whomever said they will eat their hat if CM is the starter likes a lot of ketchup. Maybe I am completely wrong and Rovig or Bauman will light it up without any experience but I believe the odds are with Chris.
I still have a hard time understanding why people continue to discredit Rovig's performance against Wagner. He had a fantastic game. It doesn't matter that it was against a mediocre team. He did exactly what he needed to do and put up awesome numbers. As far as the SDSU game is concerned I guess you can knock him for that, but the team had at least 4 dropped passes in the 1st 20 minutes alone, and at least 3 would have been 1st downs and kept drives going. 1st career playing time and we were forced into passing in the 2nd quarter. I will also eat my hat if Murray is the starter come gameday
Let's not forget the small sample from PSU.
I forget, what happened in that game? Percentage completed? Yards per catch? I am a bit foggy on that game...can anyone help?
He was 2-2. One was a wheel route to Troy Anderson who jumped above the defender and caught the pass.

2024 Resume dominance

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Would you be saying Murray is behind the others if he had been injured for a year instead?
Well, if he had blown his knee he might be physically behind the others, but his understanding (timing, chemistry) would be ahead of three guys with just a fraction of the experience.

Murray isn’t a good passer. If someone is going to beat him out it’ll be because they’re significantly better at that aspect. If they’re only marginally better, they won’t beat him out because no one else can run anything like him.
Murray wins the foot race, Rovig will win the QB battle based on his capacity to distribute the ball. And someone will actually say this season of Rovig, "wow, his wheels are better than I thought..."! I don't think Coach wants to get painted into a corner again at QB like the previous years where we could only basically run it. So, the question should be, 'has Murray progressed and developed enough into a passer to be given a legitimate chance to win the QB battle?"

It would be great if he did, but I would say his focus has been more on academics than passing...but I will wait to see how it pans out in Spring/Fall camp.
When did Rovig show that he has more ability than Murry to distribute the ball? The Wagner game? How 'bout the SDSU game? I am certainly not saying he won't develop into a fine QB for us but assuming that he gives us a better chance to win than CM seems like a stretch to me. I hope whomever said they will eat their hat if CM is the starter likes a lot of ketchup. Maybe I am completely wrong and Rovig or Bauman will light it up without any experience but I believe the odds are with Chris.
I still have a hard time understanding why people continue to discredit Rovig's performance against Wagner. He had a fantastic game. It doesn't matter that it was against a mediocre team. He did exactly what he needed to do and put up awesome numbers. As far as the SDSU game is concerned I guess you can knock him for that, but the team had at least 4 dropped passes in the 1st 20 minutes alone, and at least 3 would have been 1st downs and kept drives going. 1st career playing time and we were forced into passing in the 2nd quarter. I will also eat my hat if Murray is the starter come gameday
I forget, what happened in that game? Percentage completed? Yards per catch? I am a bit foggy on that game...can anyone help?
He was 2-2. One was a wheel route to Troy Anderson who jumped above the defender and caught the pass.
Wow, even better than I thought. I knew he threw a couple of completions, but I didn't remember not missing on one. To come in off the bench cold and throw dimes...well most of us experts on the board could do it, but the average donk couldn't! :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:00 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Wow, even better than I thought. I knew he threw a couple of completions, but I didn't remember not missing on one. To come in off the bench cold and throw dimes...well most of us experts on the board could do it, but the average donk couldn't! :D
Is Choate looking for a transfer QB?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Murray may be done all together from what I just heard. Hope its not true, the rumor is couldn't make the grades again....

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:09 pm
Murray may be done all together from what I just heard. Hope its not true, the rumor is couldn't make the grades again....
It's March. Grades come out in December and May. So it's unlikely this rumor is true.

BUT this is exactly why Choate will never have him as starting QB again. It's a risk you cannot take again.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:09 pm

This is the same as last year....

As long as TA was practicing with the QBs you knew he would start. He had to, can’t have him on the sideline.

Murray is the same sort of talent. If he is practicing as a QB he’ll start.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:16 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:09 pm
It's March. Grades come out in December and May. So it's unlikely this rumor is true.

BUT this is exactly why Choate will never have him as starting QB again. It's a risk you cannot take again.
Yeah and midterm grades came out at spring break. I'm sure the conditions of potential scholarship was based on academic progress. Again, let's wait until August, or at least April 6.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:39 am
lutecat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 am
Saying he's behind the other 3 because he missed last season just simply isn't true. The offense and its coordinator changed last year, it's probably evolving more over the winter. Rovig played a couple games and looked decent, but it isn't like he locked down the job for the next 3 years. Chris is electric. I'm sure he's also more physically mature than he was at cat griz 2017. To me, he's the default until someone takes it from him. I might be wrong (happens on a regular basis), but I'll believe someone else is our starter when i see it on the field.
You're right. The offense is evolving this winter. And Chris doesn't get to be in on that until he proves his grades are up. So that's a set back for him and a leg up for everyone else.
But when he returns from getting his grades up he will be smarter, bigger, stronger and faster. :yes:
We'll see. Maybe I've got it wrong, but rovig didn't beat out the guy who couldn't throw at all last year, so forgive my skepticism. Not meant as criticism of troy, btw, he carried us the last month but objectively his passing was mostly awful. And I'd love it if rovig wins the job, means he's outplayed everyone and deserves it. Guess we'll see.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 am
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Saying he's behind the other 3 because he missed last season just simply isn't true. The offense and its coordinator changed last year, it's probably evolving more over the winter. Rovig played a couple games and looked decent, but it isn't like he locked down the job for the next 3 years. Chris is electric. I'm sure he's also more physically mature than he was at cat griz 2017. To me, he's the default until someone takes it from him. I might be wrong (happens on a regular basis), but I'll believe someone else is our starter when i see it on the field.
You're right. The offense is evolving this winter. And Chris doesn't get to be in on that until he proves his grades are up. So that's a set back for him and a leg up for everyone else.
But when he returns from getting his grades up he will be smarter, bigger, stronger and faster. :yes:
We'll see. Maybe I've got it wrong, but rovig didn't beat out the guy who couldn't throw at all last year, so forgive my skepticism. Not meant as criticism of troy, btw, he carried us the last month but objectively his passing was mostly awful. And I'd love it if rovig wins the job, means he's outplayed everyone and deserves it. Guess we'll see.
Rovig won the starting job last year, then he broke his foot at practice... so yeah.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Rovig won the starting job last year, then he broke his foot at practice... so yeah.
Rovig did in fact beat out the eventual co-1st team All Big Sky quarterback.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Ok, didn't know that since he never started after he won the job, due to the injury. I'll concede, he's certain to be the starter next year. Murray is certain not to be. They're keeping Murray around to convert him to a wide receiver, clearly. Every indication choate has given the last 2 years is that he doesn't want a running-capable QB. My bad.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:29 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Ok, didn't know that since he never started after he won the job, due to the injury. I'll concede, Murray has no chance to be the qb next year, with all the inspired choices who've so clearly passed him up. They're keeping Murray around to convert him to a wide receiver, clearly. Every indication choate has given the last 2 years is that he doesn't want a running-capable QB. My bad.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Didn’t Rovig get his first start against SDSU because Troy broke his hand?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
lutecat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Didn’t Rovig get his first start against SDSU because Troy broke his hand?
Yep, but by the time we were to play Idaho, Choate handed the reins to Rovig, then he broke his foot like 3 days before the game.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Let me clarify: i think Murray is going to be the starter. If it's rovig, that's a bonus because IMO he's got a higher bar to clear this year to win the job with Murray back, bauman a year older etc. I think our team will be better no matter which one wins it, because it frees troy up to immediately improve the second level of our defense, while being a major factor on 6-10 offensive touches. IMO, Chris's level of involvement or lack thereof this spring will mean very little unless choate names an unequivocal starter coming out of spring ball.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm

I like how everyone on here just assumes that it’s easy to play wide receiver.

Want to start someone else at QB? No problem just move the other guy to WR!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:51 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm
I like how everyone on here just assumes that it’s easy to play wide receiver.

Want to start someone else at QB? No problem just move the other guy to WR!
RB and WR are the easiest positions to learn. Doesn't mean easy, but easiest.