QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am
I've been wrong on this topic all along, so consider this my crow-eating post from predicting Chris would make the grades and be the guy. I missed that one. Fascinating discussion in this thread on rovig, the recruiting forays at QB and what that means for the upcoming year, etc. I don't agree with those who say that choate doesn't prefer the QB run game, and only ran it out of necessity. I think it started that way for him, sure, when bruggman flopped and we had to go that way. But listening to him talk passionately about the advantages created by the +1 run game in the time since, I'm in agreement with those who think we're probably looking to bring someone in that mold in, to at least provide competition and a "+1" run option.
In evaluating the in- house guys, I'll admit i know nothing about Beltran. It seems like bauman has the physical gifts, but maybe isn't up to division 1 speed yet as far as command of a system and knowing where to go with the ball. Watching rovig, I saw different things than some here did. I liked his anticipatory throws at times, but it didn't seem to me that he has the big rolovich or mcghee arm talent, the deep out to the far hash type of thing. Can that be managed? Sure. Anything that floats a little though doesn't really play well in Montana in November and December.
Anyway, I'm excited and fascinated to see how this shakes out; i think we've got as complete a team as we've had since the mcghee teams, we just need this big major piece to fall into place.
Honest question for everyone: if we weren't comparing him to Bauman, would people be questioning Rovig's arm? I've never got the impression he's lacking in arm strength from what I've seen.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I've been wrong on this topic all along, so consider this my crow-eating post from predicting Chris would make the grades and be the guy. I missed that one. Fascinating discussion in this thread on rovig, the recruiting forays at QB and what that means for the upcoming year, etc. I don't agree with those who say that choate doesn't prefer the QB run game, and only ran it out of necessity. I think it started that way for him, sure, when bruggman flopped and we had to go that way. But listening to him talk passionately about the advantages created by the +1 run game in the time since, I'm in agreement with those who think we're probably looking to bring someone in that mold in, to at least provide competition and a "+1" run option.
In evaluating the in- house guys, I'll admit i know nothing about Beltran. It seems like bauman has the physical gifts, but maybe isn't up to division 1 speed yet as far as command of a system and knowing where to go with the ball. Watching rovig, I saw different things than some here did. I liked his anticipatory throws at times, but it didn't seem to me that he has the big rolovich or mcghee arm talent, the deep out to the far hash type of thing. Can that be managed? Sure. Anything that floats a little though doesn't really play well in Montana in November and December.
Anyway, I'm excited and fascinated to see how this shakes out; i think we've got as complete a team as we've had since the mcghee teams, we just need this big major piece to fall into place.
Honest question for everyone: if we weren't comparing him to Bauman, would people be questioning Rovig's arm? I've never got the impression he's lacking in arm strength from what I've seen.
In my opinion, his arm is fine. And an important thing to remember when looking at Casey's game: arm strength does not equal arm talent. However, when Casey whips it, that thing is sizzling to the receiver.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 am

technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
It’s not his arm strength. It’s just that he throws balls that hang once in a while. I’ve seen him over shoot receivers right into the hands of DBs in scrimmages. I don’t recall what his two interceptions vs SDSU were from. Vs. Wagner he had a couple passes I thought would be picked, but weren’t. Just seems like about one in 10-15 passes is hanging up there. That’s the only problem I have with him, but it’s a big problem. I’m not sure what causes it, but I don’t think it’s a weak arm in his case.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 am
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
It’s not his arm strength. It’s just that he throws balls that hang once in a while. I’ve seen him over shoot receivers right into the hands of DBs in scrimmages. I don’t recall what his two interceptions vs SDSU were from. Vs. Wagner he had a couple passes I thought would be picked, but weren’t. Just seems like about one in 10-15 passes is hanging up there. That’s the only problem I have with him, but it’s a big problem. I’m not sure what causes it, but I don’t think it’s a weak arm in his case.
Footwork, release point, and (the biggest one in my opinion) timing with his receivers can cause overthrows/"hangers".

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 am

Important details but we have 3 more months for improvement.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 am
iaafan wrote:
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Footwork, release point, and (the biggest one in my opinion) timing with his receivers can cause overthrows/"hangers".
I remember something about Cole changing his throwing motion and I don't think Rovig was 100% comfortable with it.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 am

It’s easy to forget Rovig was brought in and played a couple series in the 3rd quarter against Eastern Washington. His arm production was par with TA, he also threw a pick which was called off due to a roughing the passer penalty which helped his box score, much like penalties throughout the season robbed completions and multiple TDS from TAs numbers. It’s only fair to extend the same argument to Troy that has defended others. He’s young, he needs time to develop, and the biggest assertion for the first half of the season, a lot of excellent to serviceably thrown passes to Patterson, Jonsen, Sullivan,Mccutcheon and others were simply dropped. I’m not sure TAs passing got better down the stretch as much as the receiving improved. The only “what the f#%^” pass I recall all year was against Weber when it appeared TA threw the ball straight into Benjamin if I remember correctly, Jordan Preator also had a pick that game.

2019...🏆

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am

I don't agree with Rovig having a weaker arm either, I've seen it said here a few times and I just don't see it myself.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 pm
You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.
1) I've seen Jensen and Rovig play. It's not hard to figure out which one is better.

2) I'm not as familiar with Modster, but he transferred to a PAC-12 school that had seen him up close. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

3) I think Rovig can be ok...but he couldn't beat out a converted LB/RB last year. That's alarming, to me.

4) McGhee was not an unknown, at all. His entire redshirt year I heard from friends on the team how good he was. The buzz was incredibly high around him. The idea that he was an "unknown" after being a high caliber recruit (for us), winning scout player of the year, and the entire damn team talking about good he was gonna be is laughable.

5) I like Bauman. He's not ready. He panics in the pocket yet. He needs time.

6) I'm not saying Rovig is bad. I just think he's a guy. Nothing special. We just haven't seen an actual passing QB in a few years. My chief concern with him is that I think he's going to turn the ball over a lot. He's late on a lot of his passes. That can be fine against Wagner. Not against good teams.

7) Whether I'm "on board" or not has nothing to do with how the team will perform. I'm honest, and realistic. If you're idea of a fan is somebody who is always optimistic, and always thinks things will turn out great, then you've got the wrong guy in me. I call things like I see them, and quite frankly, I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am

technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Yes.

He floats a lot of balls and his outs don't have a lot of zip to them. Results in picks.

He's got an average arm, at best. It can get down field because he arcs it high, but that's not ideal. He's got some touch to his passes, but not a lot of zip.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am
Cataholic wrote:
You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.
1) I've seen Jensen and Rovig play. It's not hard to figure out which one is better.

2) I'm not as familiar with Modster, but he transferred to a PAC-12 school that had seen him up close. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

3) I think Rovig can be ok...but he couldn't beat out a converted LB/RB last year. That's alarming, to me.

4) McGhee was not an unknown, at all. His entire redshirt year I heard from friends on the team how good he was. The buzz was incredibly high around him. The idea that he was an "unknown" after being a high caliber recruit (for us), winning scout player of the year, and the entire damn team talking about good he was gonna be is laughable.

6) I'm not saying Rovig is bad. I just think he's a guy. Nothing special. We just haven't seen an actual passing QB in a few years. My chief concern with him is that I think he's going to turn the ball over a lot. He's late on a lot of his passes. That can be fine against Wagner. Not against good teams.

7) Whether I'm "on board" or not has nothing to do with how the team will perform. I'm honest, and realistic. If you're idea of a fan is somebody who is always optimistic, and always thinks things will turn out great, then you've got the wrong guy in me. I call things like I see them, and quite frankly, I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.
From everything I've seen and heard, my opinion is that Rovig is going to be pretty good, and he might even end up being great. Then again, I'm usually an optimist. 8) Fingers crossed he stays healthy, because I'm less sure about the backups although there is good potential there.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

From everything I've seen and heard, my opinion is that Rovig is going to be pretty good, and he might even end up being great. Then again, I'm usually an optimist. 8) Fingers crossed he stays healthy, because I'm less sure about the backups although there is good potential there.
Keep the faith! In Rovig we trust! :D

I like Choate's confidence in him, that's good enough for me!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am

Man I wish we could stop arguing about our QB situation.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:41 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 am
iaafan wrote:
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Good analysis. I’d say footwork is the key to all the fundamental aspects. It’s like shooting in basketball. If you want a quick release, it starts with footwork and receiving the ball as close to your shot pocket as possible.

Then it’s instincts and savvy.

A lot of people know footwork is important, but don’t know what it is they’re looking for or need to do.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

None of this is new information and we are on page 19. “Honest and realistic”, or are you “jaded and negative”? You comments on Rovig and Bauman are based on their status as a either redshirt freshman or a true freshman. They have had another year of maturity and coaching since you last saw them, unless you are going to practices. To write them off at this stage is being negative.

And by the way, if you haven’t heard “buzz” about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran in the past two years, then you haven’t been listening very closely. Maybe we should give these guys a chance to play.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

None of this is new information and we are on page 19. “Honest and realistic”, or are you “jaded and negative”? You comments on Rovig and Bauman are based on their status as a either redshirt freshman or a true freshman. They have had another year of maturity and coaching since you last saw them, unless you are going to practices. To write them off at this stage is being negative.

And by the way, if you haven’t heard “buzz” about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran in the past two years, then you haven’t been listening very closely. Maybe we should give these guys a chance to play.
He's being "honest" about what HE believes is "realistic."

What's the problem with that?

Obviously opinions are subject to change once Rovig plays more. But I don't see you jumping on people who are predicting he will be great, telling them not to speculate.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Obviously opinions are subject to change once Rovig plays more. But I don't see you jumping on people who are predicting he will be great, telling them not to speculate.
You are probably right. I just think this QB thing has been discussed to death with pure speculation. And out of the 7 points above, 5 are directed at the ability of our QB’s. I mistakenly thought that some things were off-limits.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You are probably right. I just think this QB thing has been discussed to death with pure speculation. And out of the 7 points above, 5 are directed at the ability of our QB’s. I mistakenly thought that some things were off-limits.
It's June.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What's off limits?

Genuinely curious here. I'm not attacking any player at all. Take that I said about Bauman...it's not a diss. I just said he's not ready, and I can see that bc he panics in the pocket. That's normal for QB's of his age and experience. Is that off limits for me to say? Or is this a positive-only kind of thing you want?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What's off limits?

Genuinely curious here. I'm not attacking any player at all. Take that I said about Bauman...it's not a diss. I just said he's not ready, and I can see that bc he panics in the pocket. That's normal for QB's of his age and experience. Is that off limits for me to say? Or is this a positive-only kind of thing you want?
Haha yes that is exactly what he wants. It’s all about defending the brand boys and you are all assholes if you say anything negative about the brand. Biggest sugar coatin, Cats apologist on the planet. Now you’re jaded and negative for simply questioning why the coaches tried to land different starting QBs if your current ones are ready to go.