QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

codecat
Member # Retired

Re: QB Update

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 am
Holy cow all this hand wringing over the quarterbackhas my hands chafed. Since there are so many armchair experts, can one of you recommend a good hand cream.
Nothing better than Udder Butter if you really want to know:)

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 am
catatac wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am
Mickster is spot on here, great post. The only other thing I'll add here is that if a team's game plan is to only put a spy out there if we're running the wild cat and just pretend that TR can't run when he's lined up at QB - they'll be in for a rude awakening. He's much better at running the ball than you might think. Also, I liked his ability to look downfield when he scrambles out of the pocket rather than run first. If he can find open receivers when this happens and deliver the ball (which it looks like he's pretty good at from my observations in the Spring), this will be huge.
I agree about Rovig being much more athletic than some people here give him credit for, I alluded to that in my earlier post.

Rovig doesn't need to be a superstar with our O-line, RBs, and Defense. If he can throw for around 220-230 per game while completing 60% and limiting his turnovers, the Cats are going to be a very very tough team to beat this season. I'm pretty confident he'll be able to do that. Maybe even better than that. We shall see!
I was saying to myself yesterday that Rovig needs to throw for 200 per game and complete 60%, so we are pretty much on the same page.

Rovig running reminds me of a poor man's Brian Bell from SHSU all those years ago. Tall and can run a straight line faster than you'd expect.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 pm

I just like knowing that while we all sit here and write what we think this young man is or isn’t going to do, he is out there busting his ass everyday to make himself that much better just to prove his own fans wrong. We should be backing this kid, not bashing him.

Punters are people too!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 pm
I just like knowing that while we all sit here and write what we think this young man is or isn’t going to do, he is out there busting his ass everyday to make himself that much better just to prove his own fans wrong. We should be backing this kid, not bashing him.
I’ve yet to see anyone bash him.

If he throws for 220-230 per game MSU will win the league easily. If he does and MSU doesn’t win the league, then something really bad would need to have developed in the run game or defense. I think he’ll throw for around 175 and that will be just fine. MSU doesn’t need huge numbers from the QB, it just needs steady play. That’s not bashing him.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:12 pm

My previous post may have been taken a little more enthusiastically regarding Rovig than I intended. What I was trying to get across was, for those who think Rovig will be the Achilles heel of the team, trying to point out that last year our coaching staff didn’t think so and this year after they know considerably more about the QB’s on the roster, it appears they still think he can lead this team, even after they’ve seen what TA can do at QB…..and last year didn’t turn out too bad.

Does the increased passing threat with Rovig outweigh the reduced running threat????? I don’t know but something else you have to add into the equation is….how much better will our defense be with TA on the field than without him? My guess is that our offense will be ‘at least as good’ with Rovig at QB than it was/would be with TA at QB, which includes the occasional appearance of TA on offense. But, my hope is our defense will be significantly improved with TA somewhere on the field, which will help our team overall.

Do I think we’ll have an All-Conference QB on our team again this year…..NO. Do I think we’ll have a QB (Rovig or someone else perhaps) that will be able to lead this team to a great season…..YES. Two of the best things a QB can have is a great OL, which comes with good pass protection and an outstanding run game, combined with a great defense. I think we’ll have both this year which will only help our QB succeed.

Another BSC QB we can kinda compare Rovig (6’5”, 205 lbs) to is Case Cookus (6’4”, 205 lbs). He’s not what you’d call a ‘dual threat’ QB (he had -14 yards on 53 attempts in 2017 and 32 of those yards came on 1 play). Where as Rovig will be able to take off and keep the defense honest when the opportunity arises, Cookus really couldn’t do that to any significant degree. Now, do I think Rovig will be able to throw and ‘manage’ a game like Cookus this year….NO I DON’T. Let’s face it, from what he’s shown thus far he does not have the arm strength, touch & accuracy that Cookus has exhibited. However, if he can be 80% of what Cookus was/is in that regard combined with his better running/scrambling ability & our defense, I think we’ll be fine. Even if Rovig goes thru some ‘growing pains’ regarding making & timing throws (say ~50%), as long as he doesn’t turn the ball over, we should have a pretty good season.

GO CATS!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm

:roll: :lol: :-k :shrug:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm

In what world would Rovig "settle in as a WR"? Goodness.

Anyway, we can give them credti....they didn't say that Chris Murray was still on the team competing for the QB spot.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm

That's stupid! Rovig will not be moved to WR for Bauman and those who say that Rovig can't run, are blind. He's going to be just fine...you'll see. :coffee:

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:47 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm

allcat wrote:
Holy cow all this hand wringing over the quarterbackhas my hands chafed. Since there are so many armchair experts, can one of you recommend a good hand cream.
You are right. They should just shut BN down. The fact that anyone would spend anytime offering up opinions and speculating as to what next season will bring is BS. These “experts” that have the gall to offer up their perspective have really crossed the line. Thank God no other sports program has opinionated fans.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:10 pm

allcat wrote:
Sure, I've got some.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm

utucats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:47 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
Not sure. I didn’t read most of the stuff. Half of it is really annoying. I was getting sick of everyone thinking they know everything about stats, what it takes to play QB, what he needs to do, what has needs to not do......everyone on here must have been amazing QB’s when they played.

Punters are people too!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
Not sure. I didn’t read most of the stuff. Half of it is really annoying. I was getting sick of everyone thinking they know everything about stats, what it takes to play QB, what he needs to do, what has needs to not do......everyone on here must have been amazing QB’s when they played.
Sounds about right to me. I have said the same thing before, but it won’t change anything. People don’t think they are bashing, but if you can’t say it to the players face, maybe you shouldn’t post it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
Sounds about right to me. I have said the same thing before, but it won’t change anything. People don’t think they are bashing, but if you can’t say it to the players face, maybe you shouldn’t post it.
I’d call it constructive criticism, not bashing, and I have no doubt the coaching staff has pointed out everything everyone has said on here. Most of the comments regarding his weaknesses are in response to people pointing out his strengths, which naturally elicits a counterpoint. In scrimmages and games he has weaknesses that are easy to see. If he can’t correct those it won’t take long for other teams to exploit them.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:07 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
I’ve yet to see anyone bash him.

If he throws for 220-230 per game MSU will win the league easily. If he does and MSU doesn’t win the league, then something really bad would need to have developed in the run game or defense. I think he’ll throw for around 175 and that will be just fine. MSU doesn’t need huge numbers from the QB, it just needs steady play. That’s not bashing him.
I think it will come down to turnovers more than anything else. I'm guessing that the Cats' offense will still largely rest on a foundation of rushing offense. Rovig will need to be able to keep defenses honest, convert some 3rd downs, and take care of the football. If he isn't turning it over, they should be ok.

As for "bashing Rovig," apparently if you're predicting greatness, that's fine, but if you're doubtful at all then that's unacceptable and you're arrogant. No deviating opinions permitted.

We should rename all the threads "Cats Will be Great" and then we can all comment "Yes" in those threads and to one another. It will be an awesome forum.

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am

utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
The “bashing” of the QB took place last year in the game day threads. It was soooo sweet when TA was named 1st Team QB and the Apple Dumpling Gang from the game day threads had to shut their pie holes! No matter who wins the QB spot this year, I can only hope that he does not have to hear and read the same BS TA did last year.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:49 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
The “bashing” of the QB took place last year in the game day threads. It was soooo sweet when TA was named 1st Team QB and the Apple Dumpling Gang from the game day threads had to shut their pie holes! No matter who wins the QB spot this year, I can only hope that he does not have to hear and read the same BS TA did last year.
:goodpost:

Well said!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:22 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:49 am
Marana CAT wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
:goodpost:

Well said!
Pfff, ya right! You wish! :lol: Sadly, there will be posters that get on here and post "Rovig sucks", and "Bench him", etc... when mistakes happen. Knee jerk reactions that are silly.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:48 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
I’d call it constructive criticism, not bashing, and I have no doubt the coaching staff has pointed out everything everyone has said on here. Most of the comments regarding his weaknesses are in response to people pointing out his strengths, which naturally elicits a counterpoint. In scrimmages and games he has weaknesses that are easy to see. If he can’t correct those it won’t take long for other teams to exploit them.
Most posters here, including yourself are very good. But when armchair experts are so fixated on the weaknesses of an MSU player, I think it is a crappy approach. Take a look at an earlier post about QB performances against SDSU last year. Most other QB’s performances against SDSU last year were very similar to how Rovig fared. But only a handful of posters even acknowledged the fact that his performance was comparable to the others. Instead, many experts offered opinions on why Rovig was a subpar QB. That sucks. And all these opinions are based on two games of experience as a redshirt freshman. One of those games were against the number 5 team in the country.

Before some of you slam me for “only wanting positive stuff”, look at the 23 pages of content in this thread and tell me how much of it is positive? Shouldn’t at least 50% of the content be positive on a Bobcat forum where our team is expected to do great things next season? Case in point is Jaharie Martin. I posted earlier this year that he was going to be a beast at MSU. Then a poster turns that thread into a debate about being too short! Huh??? Kids not on campus yet and a debate starts about his listed height WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY. That sucks. That is a pure negative approach.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?
Most posters here, including yourself are very good. But when armchair experts are so fixated on the weaknesses of an MSU player, I think it is a crappy approach. Take a look at an earlier post about QB performances against SDSU last year. Most other QB’s performances against SDSU last year were very similar to how Rovig fared. But only a handful of posters even acknowledged the fact that his performance was comparable to the others. Instead, many experts offered opinions on why Rovig was a subpar QB. That sucks. And all these opinions are based on two games of experience as a redshirt freshman. One of those games were against the number 5 team in the country.

Before some of you slam me for “only wanting positive stuff”, look at the 23 pages of content in this thread and tell me how much of it is positive? Shouldn’t at least 50% of the content be positive on a Bobcat forum where our team is expected to do great things next season? Case in point is Jaharie Martin. I posted earlier this year that he was going to be a beast at MSU. Then a poster turns that thread into a debate about being too short! Huh??? Kids not on campus yet and a debate starts about his listed height WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY. That sucks. That is a pure negative approach.
100% of the content on any forum should be people's honest opinions without overtly trying to be positive or negative. Then people can discuss issues, persuade, or disagree with other people who are actually saying what they think and why. That's as opposed to discussing what sort of opinion they should or should not have.