QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 pm
Let me clarify: i think Murray is going to be the starter. If it's rovig, that's a bonus because IMO he's got a higher bar to clear this year to win the job with Murray back, bauman a year older etc. I think our team will be better no matter which one wins it, because it frees troy up to immediately improve the second level of our defense, while being a major factor on 6-10 offensive touches. IMO, Chris's level of involvement or lack thereof this spring will mean very little unless choate names an unequivocal starter coming out of spring ball.
I like Chris, but my reservation on him being the starter is the fact he is still not on the team. The most telling thing to me was Choate didn't give either Freshman a shot at QB because the weren't ready in the system and they weren't the leaders of the team. That's why Troy was QB last year, he's a leader and he knew the system.

Chris hasn't been a Bobcat in a year, and while he was his biggest knocks were he didn't run what choate called, because from what I understand Chris didn't know the offense, and Chris has never been hyped as a team leader, in fact he's been characterized as just the opposite. So all that tells me it will probably be a cold day in hell before CM is the starting QB as a Bobcat.

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:09 pm
Murray may be done all together from what I just heard. Hope its not true, the rumor is couldn't make the grades again....
It might not be the grade issue right now, he could be pulling a 2.5-3.0 GPA for all we know. But what Coach Choate mention when Chris returned that it’s in the hands of NCAA. What I believe he was referring to is, a student athletic at their junior year of academics must have so many credit hours toward their degree. Chris might not have them, if that case Chris will probably will be heading to summer school as well.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Let me clarify: i think Murray is going to be the starter. If it's rovig, that's a bonus because IMO he's got a higher bar to clear this year to win the job with Murray back, bauman a year older etc. I think our team will be better no matter which one wins it, because it frees troy up to immediately improve the second level of our defense, while being a major factor on 6-10 offensive touches. IMO, Chris's level of involvement or lack thereof this spring will mean very little unless choate names an unequivocal starter coming out of spring ball.
I like Chris, but my reservation on him being the starter is the fact he is still not on the team. The most telling thing to me was Choate didn't give either Freshman a shot at QB because the weren't ready in the system and they weren't the leaders of the team. That's why Troy was QB last year, he's a leader and he knew the system.

Chris hasn't been a Bobcat in a year, and while he was his biggest knocks were he didn't run what choate called, because from what I understand Chris didn't know the offense, and Chris has never been hyped as a team leader, in fact he's been characterized as just the opposite. So all that tells me it will probably be a cold day in hell before CM is the starting QB as a Bobcat.
Interesting take. I won't argue it, I'll just say I'm still interested to see how it plays out, and if rovig or bauman is the starter I'm sure they will have earned it, and the team will be in good stead. If it's Chris, he'll definitely have earned it, and we know how electric he can be with the ball. Good discussion.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:42 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Interesting take. I won't argue it, I'll just say I'm still interested to see how it plays out, and if rovig or bauman is the starter I'm sure they will have earned it, and the team will be in good stead. If it's Chris, he'll definitely have earned it, and we know how electric he can be with the ball. Good discussion.
I agree with you there, if Chris is the starter he'll have earned it, big time. And I'll cheer for him as loudly as I cheer for any of the other QBs.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 pm
Thanks for posting! I like what I'm hearing and think Rovig will be the guy this fall.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 pm

All I know is if we do the multiple qb crap again next year we will be no better than we were last year.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Kassis just said on TV that Murray "is coming back next year."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 pm
All I know is if we do the multiple qb crap again next year we will be no better than we were last year.
What do you mean again? Has Choate really ever done much multi qb stuff??

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Chris will be the starter next year at QB it’s the best option we have. Rovig is making strides for sure and with the off season maybe he takes over come fall, but as of right now Chris would be the QB and he has gotten back in the good graces with the coaches. He isn’t on the team full time right now by design, the coaches want him 100% in the classroom. CM is still ahead of any QB we have even with a year off. Talk to the coaches they will tell you the same thing. I hope Rovig wins the starting job and Chris can move out to the end, only time will tell.

If your left, you aren’t right.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 am

I thought Rovig looked like a starting quarterback today. When he was in we saw light years more production from our offense. He looked in command and unlike the other qbs, did not seem to look tight throwing the ball.

Today looking at the roster and watching all the athletes running around confirmed for me that we really need him to take over. I love CM and what he does but we need someone to get our plethora of playmakers involved.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:05 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Yeah these posts are getting stranger and stranger. The only thing I can think is this poster and a few others are confusing all the drama that happened on this board with what actually happened in real life. Choate did pick his QB and went with him.

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 am

And Choate's pick ended up being a unanimous first team all BSC player.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 am

Right now I see Rovig as the #1.
3? weeks left of school and hopefully Murray is on the right track and the coaches are confident that he can continue that progress during a football season.
I wouldn't be surprised if a grad transfer showed up this summer.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:05 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Yeah these posts are getting stranger and stranger. The only thing I can think is this poster and a few others are confusing all the drama that happened on this board with what actually happened in real life. Choate did pick his QB and went with him.
Well, there was a bit of flux early in the season at the quarterback position. Choate did pick Andersen to start the season. When Andersen was injured, Choate went with Rovig for the South Dakota and Wagner games. Andersen returned to the starting job for the next two games, but Choate picked Rovig to take over as the starter for the Idaho game. Rovig was then injured in practice and Andersen then became the starter for the rest of the season. It all worked out pretty well though, Andersen did an awesome job under very difficult circumstances. I agree that is wasn't like there was some sort of a quarterback controversy or that Choate was indecisive. I'd definitely take another playoff run season like the Cats had last year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 am
Right now I see Rovig as the #1.
3? weeks left of school and hopefully Murray is on the right track and the coaches are confident that he can continue that progress during a football season.
I wouldn't be surprised if a grad transfer showed up this summer.
I just don’t know why we’d continue to stockpile QBs. Based on what we all seem to agree on, we have 4 (if you include Troy) serviceable quarterbacks. Every year, every team in the country has to pick a QB and go with them. I see no value in a grad transfer at that position. I’d rather the coaches just hash out who is the best of our current crop and start giving them reps.

I’ve been shouting for over a year it should be Tucker. I still feel that way. But if it’s Murray or Bauman so be it. I’ll support that also. I just do not understand the ongoing consternation at this position. The coaches know who they recruited. Use one.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:55 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm
I like how everyone on here just assumes that it’s easy to play wide receiver.

Want to start someone else at QB? No problem just move the other guy to WR!
I don’t think we’re saying that. I think what we’re saying is Chris’s skill set lends itself to a high probability of success at that position.

Somebody said last season on this board that stacking weight on Chris and making him a receiving TE is the best ide. I honestly think that thought is sort of brilliant. But the weight may slow him down to the point where his spice is gone.

Anyway, the point is Chris can play a number of different positions so if we have a better QB son the roster and can keep Chris on the field, let’s do it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:14 pm

What part of Murray's frame makes you think he could add on the 35-40 pounds to be a TE, and why on Earth would he want to? That's just silly.

Murray is not a great passer. He is a dynamic runner. He's a threat at QB when he's on the field. If he can manage to be a type of game manager at QB, and limit his mistakes, he's a better QB than TA was last year. And again, not a very high bar.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Yeah... I think Murray could play and accel at several different positions....... not sure if TE is one of them though... ha

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm

It’s Spring ball. It isn’t even at a level of Allen Iverson’s “practice!!” The coach doesn’t need to have his two-deep settled now.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber