QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm
I hope it is Rovig. I think you will see him come out and do some pretty amazing things. It is time for guys like Keving Kassis and some other receivers to get their time. Rovig will give us a passing game, which in turn opens things up for Ifanse.
Get out of here with that crazy talk! :lol: Love some of these clips:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:19 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
I hope it is Rovig. I think you will see him come out and do some pretty amazing things. It is time for guys like Keving Kassis and some other receivers to get their time. Rovig will give us a passing game, which in turn opens things up for Ifanse.

JJ with the one handed grab toward the end! Hope that means he'll be playing this fall.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:19 pm
catatac wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

JJ with the one handed grab toward the end! Hope that means he'll be playing this fall.
That was Travis Jonsen.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:19 pm
catatac wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

That was Travis Jonsen.
Well sh** :lol: hell of a catch though

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am
technoCat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am
I've been wrong on this topic all along, so consider this my crow-eating post from predicting Chris would make the grades and be the guy. I missed that one. Fascinating discussion in this thread on rovig, the recruiting forays at QB and what that means for the upcoming year, etc. I don't agree with those who say that choate doesn't prefer the QB run game, and only ran it out of necessity. I think it started that way for him, sure, when bruggman flopped and we had to go that way. But listening to him talk passionately about the advantages created by the +1 run game in the time since, I'm in agreement with those who think we're probably looking to bring someone in that mold in, to at least provide competition and a "+1" run option.
In evaluating the in- house guys, I'll admit i know nothing about Beltran. It seems like bauman has the physical gifts, but maybe isn't up to division 1 speed yet as far as command of a system and knowing where to go with the ball. Watching rovig, I saw different things than some here did. I liked his anticipatory throws at times, but it didn't seem to me that he has the big rolovich or mcghee arm talent, the deep out to the far hash type of thing. Can that be managed? Sure. Anything that floats a little though doesn't really play well in Montana in November and December.
Anyway, I'm excited and fascinated to see how this shakes out; i think we've got as complete a team as we've had since the mcghee teams, we just need this big major piece to fall into place.
Honest question for everyone: if we weren't comparing him to Bauman, would people be questioning Rovig's arm? I've never got the impression he's lacking in arm strength from what I've seen.
Yes.

He floats a lot of balls and his outs don't have a lot of zip to them. Results in picks.

He's got an average arm, at best. It can get down field because he arcs it high, but that's not ideal. He's got some touch to his passes, but not a lot of zip.

Personally, I rank arm strength behind many or factors. Accuracy, field vision and timing, are much more important. It does not matter if a QB can zing the ball 80 yards if the other 3 factors are not in the mix.

Based my my thoughts, which QB should have the best chance to start? I let you experts determine this.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I've been wrong on this topic all along, so consider this my crow-eating post from predicting Chris would make the grades and be the guy. I missed that one. Fascinating discussion in this thread on rovig, the recruiting forays at QB and what that means for the upcoming year, etc. I don't agree with those who say that choate doesn't prefer the QB run game, and only ran it out of necessity. I think it started that way for him, sure, when bruggman flopped and we had to go that way. But listening to him talk passionately about the advantages created by the +1 run game in the time since, I'm in agreement with those who think we're probably looking to bring someone in that mold in, to at least provide competition and a "+1" run option.
In evaluating the in- house guys, I'll admit i know nothing about Beltran. It seems like bauman has the physical gifts, but maybe isn't up to division 1 speed yet as far as command of a system and knowing where to go with the ball. Watching rovig, I saw different things than some here did. I liked his anticipatory throws at times, but it didn't seem to me that he has the big rolovich or mcghee arm talent, the deep out to the far hash type of thing. Can that be managed? Sure. Anything that floats a little though doesn't really play well in Montana in November and December.
Anyway, I'm excited and fascinated to see how this shakes out; i think we've got as complete a team as we've had since the mcghee teams, we just need this big major piece to fall into place.
Honest question for everyone: if we weren't comparing him to Bauman, would people be questioning Rovig's arm? I've never got the impression he's lacking in arm strength from what I've seen.
Yes.

He floats a lot of balls and his outs don't have a lot of zip to them. Results in picks.

He's got an average arm, at best. It can get down field because he arcs it high, but that's not ideal. He's got some touch to his passes, but not a lot of zip.

Personally, I rank arm strength behind many or factors. Accuracy, field vision and timing, are much more important. It does not matter if a QB can zing the ball 80 yards if the other 3 factors are not in the mix.

Based my my thoughts, which QB should have the best chance to start? I let you experts determine this.
Not much has changed since spring ball got over. So Rovig, who got quite a bit of playing time last year, is ahead of Bauman, who played very little last year, and Beltran, who didn’t play.

I expect a transfer with some playing experience will come in to help keep Andersen out of the picture. If something were to happen to Rovig early in the season they will have a tough time resisting using Andersen. If they don’t bring someone in, then Bauman and Beltran need to have improved. Unless they consider Andersen to be the backup MSU is thin at QB.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm
BobCatFan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Yes.

Not much has changed since spring ball got over. So Rovig, who got quite a bit of playing time last year, is ahead of Bauman, who played very little last year, and Beltran, who didn’t play.

I expect a transfer with some playing experience will come in to help keep Andersen out of the picture. If something were to happen to Rovig early in the season they will have a tough time resisting using Andersen. If they don’t bring someone in, then Bauman and Beltran need to have improved. Unless they consider Andersen to be the backup MSU is thin at QB.

I agree, it's our biggest need currently.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:21 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BobCatFan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Yes.

I don’t consider Andersen or Jonsen a QB this year. That means IMO our QBs are:
Rovig- RS sophomore
Bauman- RS frosh
Beltran - RS frosh
Thelen - True frosh

I think, at a minimum, a team needs a quality starter and two backup QBs that are serviceable.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 am

catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think our biggest need was a high quality graduate transfer. We didn't get one.

Portal list for QB's https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... ferPortal/
JC QB's https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... onGroup=QB

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 am
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think our biggest need was a high quality graduate transfer. We didn't get one.

Portal list for QB's https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... ferPortal/
JC QB's https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... onGroup=QB
https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Malzone-27158/ although reading up on him it's not an impressive college resume.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:34 am

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:42 am

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... alik-wills
Kasim Hill: The former Maryland quarterback has been in the portal since February, though he remains on the Terrapins’ roster while he recovers from a November ACL tear. It was his second knee injury in two years, which is of more than a little concern, but Hill was able to take a redshirt his freshman year and thus will be a sophomore wherever he ends up. As for why he’s leaving Maryland, the short answer is Josh Jackson, the Virginia Tech transfer who put up 2,991 yards, 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions in his only full season (2017) in Blacksburg.

In 10 games last year, Hill completed 49.4% of passes for 1,083 yards and put up a not-so-stellar ratio of nine touchdowns to four interceptions. A dual-threat guy, Hill wasn’t so lucky rushing in 2018, when he took 40 attempts and wound up with -15 yards. So far, there’s been little word about where Hill might land or updates on his recovery; he’s barely six months out from a major knee injury.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I just don't get why everyone is so obsessed with bringing in a transfer QB. Going into his 4th season, if Choate still hasn't been able to recruit even one high school QB that the fans have full confidence in to be the starter, then something's wrong with this staff's ability to recruit and/or develop QB's. MSU's history with transfer QB's hasn't been all that great. Very few have come in and fulfilled our expectations, with Bruggman being the latest example in a long line of disappointments. But I haven't watched any practices, so admittedly most people on here probably know a lot more about the situation than me.

If Rovig doesn't turn out to be the guy, and people think that Baumann and Beltran have potential, but they're just too young and inexperienced to be trusted with the job this season, then I guess I get why people might want to see us bring in a transfer. But if we do that, then both of those guys are faced with riding the pine until they're juniors, and we may end up losing one or both of them. Unless we could land a real stud transfer (and honestly there are very few of those available....with most transfers, there's a very good reason why they didn't succeed at their previous school) and/or all of the current QB's are just truly not very good, then I'd rather roll the dice with one of the guys we already have, even if it means they might struggle a bit in their first few games.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:37 am

John K wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am
I seem to be in the minority on this, but I just don't get why everyone is so obsessed with bringing in a transfer QB. Going into his 4th season, if Choate still hasn't been able to recruit even one high school QB that the fans have full confidence in to be the starter, then something's wrong with this staff's ability to recruit and/or develop QB's. MSU's history with transfer QB's hasn't been all that great. Very few have come in and fulfilled our expectations, with Bruggman being the latest example in a long line of disappointments. But I haven't watched any practices, so admittedly most people on here probably know a lot more about the situation than me.

If Rovig doesn't turn out to be the guy, and people think that Baumann and Beltran have potential, but they're just too young and inexperienced to be trusted with the job this season, then I guess I get why people might want to see us bring in a transfer. But if we do that, then both of those guys are faced with riding the pine until they're juniors, and we may end up losing one or both of them. Unless we could land a real stud transfer (and honestly there are very few of those available....with most transfers, there's a very good reason why they didn't succeed at their previous school) and/or all of the current QB's are just truly not very good, then I'd rather roll the dice with one of the guys we already have, even if it means they might struggle a bit in their first few games.
The coaching staff needs to be successful at recruiting. I think they are. No teams in FCS recruit every area well and it just happens that MSU hasn’t done well at QB. I don’t expect that to last, based on how well they recruit everywhere else.

MSU needs a backup who is roughly as capable as Rovig and a third stringer that can run the entire offense. If Bauman and Beltran can do that, then no need. If they can’t, then they need a transfer that can.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Rovig does float some balls and some of the passes he completed against Wagner were likely interceptions against better secondary’s. That doesn’t mean he can’t get there though. He has very limited experience and I think to some degree our expectations are a little skewed. We’ve had the luxury of having guys like Lulay, DM and even Prukop who came in and lit the world on fire very quickly.

Generally it takes sometime to really develop a quality college QB and most don’t hit the ground running like some we’ve been lucky enough to have.

The guys we have now should have probably had a couple of years to develop behind an adequate starter but unfortunately between Bruggman’s flame out and Murray’s inability to pass classes we are looking for alternatives that aren’t ideal.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm
Rovig does float some balls and some of the passes he completed against Wagner were likely interceptions against better secondary’s. That doesn’t mean he can’t get there though. He has very limited experience and I think to some degree our expectations are a little skewed. We’ve had the luxury of having guys like Lulay, DM and even Prukop who came in and lit the world on fire very quickly.

Generally it takes sometime to really develop a quality college QB and most don’t hit the ground running like some we’ve been lucky enough to have.

The guys we have now should have probably had a couple of years to develop behind an adequate starter but unfortunately between Bruggman’s flame out and Murray’s inability to pass classes we are looking for alternatives that aren’t ideal.
I think a lot of Rovig's issues in this area aren't from lack of arm strength, but a rotating QB coach situation who I'm sure all had different ideas of what his mechanics should look like.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:16 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm

I think with more practice time this year spent on PASSING instead of the QB read option running that should help the new Quarterback(s) adjust as well. They should be going up against a pretty good defense this year in practice. So if they can do it against our defense (who will know the plays better than opposing teams) they should be able to play well against opposing defenses. Every team we play this year is going to have to prepare for both passing and the read option so the will have a lot on their plate. Plus as long as Ifanse is in there the DL/LB better be ready to stop the POWER game because he is going to bring it at ANYTIME. :) I would think this year's offense should make it a LOT easier to season a QB as there are many weapons and styles they can play. I want to see a few long Wheel Routes to TA/Jones when the D tries to sell out and come after our Quarterbacks. I love the look (and body language) on the DB's/Safeties when they have to come up and try and tackle TA once he's gotten to the second level! :lol:

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:14 am

I really have no idea why. But, Im excited to watch Rovig develop. I am trying to mentally prepare now that there will most likely be some growing pains. But, Im optimistic that the future is bright with him.

Hating the griz since 02.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 am

btribby wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:14 am
I really have no idea why. But, Im excited to watch Rovig develop. I am trying to mentally prepare now that there will most likely be some growing pains. But, Im optimistic that the future is bright with him.
He doesn’t need to be an explosive, big play QB. He doesn’t need to thread the needle and throw bullets. He needs to be able to make the plays that are there. Hit wide open receivers, avoid sacks and manage the game. I think he can do that. We need another QB that can do the same.

There will be growing pains. He’s going to try to throw into heavy coverage, hold the ball too long and miss open receivers. How he responds to those growing pains is the key. He can’t get rattled and put too much on himself. If he can do that, he’s gonna be fine.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 am
btribby wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:14 am
He doesn’t need to be an explosive, big play QB. He doesn’t need to thread the needle and throw bullets. He needs to be able to make the plays that are there. Hit wide open receivers, avoid sacks and manage the game. I think he can do that. We need another QB that can do the same.

There will be growing pains. He’s going to try to throw into heavy coverage, hold the ball too long and miss open receivers. How he responds to those growing pains is the key. He can’t get rattled and put too much on himself. If he can do that, he’s gonna be fine.
This is pretty much how I feel. One thing I’m interested in is what type of opportunities will Miller present for him. If you look at the offenses Miller played in at Boise St. they did a lot of motion and shifting of sets, emphasizing running the ball and setting up the play action pass. If Miller is going to shape his offense from his time playing, I’d imagine Rovig will be given the chance to press it down field after heavy doses of pounding the rock.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie