QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

Having Murray in the QB room only makes the QB room better. Whether he wins the job or not, it's one more guy legitimately pushing the others to get better.

Regardless of who wins the job, I think we will be substantially better at the QB position in nearly all phases, except maybe for that one intangible "it" quality that TA possesses. But who knows there either. And we will be a better team having TA playing at a position he's more suited to play.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:13 pm

If Rovig hasn’t improved greatly and Chris hasnt lost what he had when he left last year, then its Chris all the way. I hope Rovig has improved and Chris is able to play outside. When Rovig went out last year he still wasn’t the player Chris was.

Of course Bauman and the other guys could have improved a lot then you have options even if Rovig hasn’t gotten better.

If your left, you aren’t right.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:44 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am
seataccat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

I disagree with this completely. From what I have seen of Rovig I cannot imagine him being a better option than a healthy Chris Murry. And nothing against him, he is certainly a fine athlete. CM is a legit duel threat, his ability to throw the ball has gotten better and there is no reason to believe that he cannot develop that ability even further. He is still so young. I just don't see Bauman or Rovig ever being a duel threat which imho has a better chance of sustained success than the pro style at the FCS level.
How has he been able to do this without playing last year and not participating in spring ball?
Another year of maturity. Do you have any idea what he has done with his time away? Do you think that a 19yo athlete cannot step back into his routine and within a short amount of time pick up where he left off? The backup QB is always the best player on the team but it is generally just a fallacy.
Do you?

We are all hoping he magically got better in the year he was away from team activities and coaching while he was supposed to be focusing on passing classes but while he'll always be the best athlete in the QB room there's no reason to believe he has improved as a QB since we last saw him.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:08 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:44 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am
seataccat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

I disagree with this completely. From what I have seen of Rovig I cannot imagine him being a better option than a healthy Chris Murry. And nothing against him, he is certainly a fine athlete. CM is a legit duel threat, his ability to throw the ball has gotten better and there is no reason to believe that he cannot develop that ability even further. He is still so young. I just don't see Bauman or Rovig ever being a duel threat which imho has a better chance of sustained success than the pro style at the FCS level.
How has he been able to do this without playing last year and not participating in spring ball?
Another year of maturity. Do you have any idea what he has done with his time away? Do you think that a 19yo athlete cannot step back into his routine and within a short amount of time pick up where he left off? The backup QB is always the best player on the team but it is generally just a fallacy.
Do you?

We are all hoping he magically got better in the year he was away from team activities and coaching while he was supposed to be focusing on passing classes but while he'll always be the best athlete in the QB room there's no reason to believe he has improved as a QB since we last saw him.

I'll stick with Tucker Rovig over everyone else....it will not even be close! Rovig has it!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm

All we know right now is Murray is a great runner and Bauman has a cannon arm. Everything else about the four QBs is either average, lackluster or unknown.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 pm

One thing Bobcat fans can’t say is that the QB battles over the past several years have been boring, and this year will certainly be no exception.

As far as this year’s competition the 1st question that the staff needs to answer is; WHAT TYPE OF OFFENSE DO WE WANT? By that I mean, do we want a pocket passer/field general who will manage the game and have superior throwing ability, OR, do we want a dynamic running/duel threat QB who is a constant threat with his feet? If either Rovig or Bauman are the QB they still have some running ability, and if Murray or Andersen or even Jonsen are QB they have throwing ability as well. Therefore, in order to answer the 1st question, you have to answer this question/s; HOW MUCH DYNAMIC PLAY MAKING ABILITY ARE WE WILLING TO GIVE UP IN ORDER TO HAVE A BETTER PASSER? Or another way of putting that same question is; HOW MUCH PASSING ABILITY ARE WE WILLING TO GIVE UP IN ORDER TO HAVE A DUEL THREAT QB? Therefore, this fall the staff will need to assess each QB’s abilities and then answer the questions above in order to decide on who will be QB. It is fair to say that Rovig & Bauman’s skill sets are substantially different than Murray, Jonsen & Andersen’s. I think Beltran is somewhere in the middle. Let’s face it, the staff has a lot to figure out in a short amount of time.

IF Murray makes the team, whether or not he is the starting QB, I think that means the number of touches TA gets at QB will go down. IMHO if TA is playing most every down on defense, and the staff has both Murray & Jonsen available to run the wildcat (assuming they aren’t starting at QB), & Kassis, then the need to have TA take snaps at QB is less.

I think for the Bobcats this year, the chances of being able to predict how the QB position will play out is about as complicated as picking a perfect NCAA March Madness bracket. Good luck to the players and staff. GO CATS!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:51 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:22 pm
All we know right now is Murray is a great runner and Bauman has a cannon arm. Everything else about the four QBs is either average, lackluster or unknown.
I think unknown is the best description. We have not seen much of Rovig, Bauman or Beltran. Bauman and Beltran were true freshman last year and were learning the system. Rovig was coming off injuries. Thus, the reason for TA at QB. I do think we have two very talented QBs in Bauman and Beltran. Beltran is the one that intrigues me the most. He led Centenniel HS in AZ to the State Championship. They are a top HS countrywide, every year playing a game against one of the top high schools in the Country like Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman and St Thoma Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale. Beltran is a good, accurate passer and can run. Plus, he is a tough kid. He was a late recruit so didn't get much of a chance last season. I would like to see him get some plays in with the first team this Spring in the scrimmages. Also, I am interested in seeing what Bauman can do with a year under his belt. Being from a small HS, he had a lot to learn last year. However, yes he has a cannon of an arm and with his height, sees the field really well. It will be an interesting Spring battle for sure.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:00 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:51 pm
iaafan wrote:
I think unknown is the best description. We have not seen much of Rovig, Bauman or Beltran. Bauman and Beltran were true freshman last year and were learning the system. Rovig was coming off injuries. Thus, the reason for TA at QB. I do think we have two very talented QBs in Bauman and Beltran. Beltran is the one that intrigues me the most. He led Centenniel HS in AZ to the State Championship. They are a top HS countrywide, every year playing a game against one of the top high schools in the Country like Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman and St Thoma Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale. Beltran is a good, accurate passer and can run. Plus, he is a tough kid. He was a late recruit so didn't get much of a chance last season. I would like to see him get some plays in with the first team this Spring in the scrimmages. Also, I am interested in seeing what Bauman can do with a year under his belt. Being from a small HS, he had a lot to learn last year. However, yes he has a cannon of an arm and with his height, sees the field really well. It will be an interesting Spring battle for sure.
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know the scoop on Blake Thelen? i.e. is he going to have a chance to compete at QB, and is he likely going to red shirt?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm

If Murray starts at QB, I'll eat my own hat.

He hasn't been able to practice with the team, workout with the team, do anything with the team in over a year. No film with the coaches, no timing with the WR's, no chemistry with the OL. No time dissecting defensive coverages with the coaches. No time working on hot routes, hand signals, no time working on a new offense with the team.

That stuff matters a lot, especially for somebody who had a lot of weaknesses in those areas. Murray can be a weapon for this team, but it won't be as the starting QB.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:00 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:51 pm
iaafan wrote:
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know the scoop on Blake Thelen? i.e. is he going to have a chance to compete at QB, and is he likely going to red shirt?
Talented but needs to redshirt and develop. A few years away from pushing for playing time.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm

He hasn't been able to practice with the team, workout with the team, do anything with the team in over a year. No film with the coaches, no timing with the WR's, no chemistry with the OL. No time dissecting defensive coverages with the coaches. No time working on hot routes, hand signals, no time working on a new offense with the team.

That stuff matters a lot, especially for somebody who had a lot of weaknesses in those areas. Murray can be a weapon for this team, but it won't be as the starting QB.
A big part of me wants to tell you you're wrong about Chris, but the other part knows you're 100% right. Chris has made it a lot farther to getting back on the team than I thought he'd ever be last August, but every one of the points you make is the reason why he won't be the starting QB. In my mind its a Rovig/Bauman battle that's happening right now, wish I could see it.

I do however think there's value using him like TJ and have him be a wildcat QB/WR early in the season, and the season progresses maybe increase his role as some of those things come back.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:43 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

A big part of me wants to tell you you're wrong about Chris, but the other part knows you're 100% right. Chris has made it a lot farther to getting back on the team than I thought he'd ever be last August, but every one of the points you make is the reason why he won't be the starting QB. In my mind its a Rovig/Bauman battle that's happening right now, wish I could see it.

I do however think there's value using him like TJ and have him be a wildcat QB/WR early in the season, and the season progresses maybe increase his role as some of those things come back.
Murray has 16-17 starts and all the starter reps during that span and through last spring, yet you guys think he’s behind the other three QBs of which have one start and about two weeks of starter reps in practice?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm

I have no clue who is going to win the qb battle...… but to assume Murray is not toward the top of the list is pretty foolish. In my opinion, it is his job to lose. like Tomcat said, he far and away has the most experience.

with that being said...…….. if I was a betting man... I would go with Rovig winning the starting job in fall camp.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm
I have no clue who is going to win the qb battle...… but to assume Murray is not toward the top of the list is pretty foolish. In my opinion, it is his job to lose. like Tomcat said, he far and away has the most experience.

with that being said...…….. if I was a betting man... I would go with Rovig winning the starting job in fall camp.
Murray's job to lose? He has to even earn his way onto the practice field 1st.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Murray's job to lose? He has to even earn his way onto the practice field 1st.

Okay, I should have said- assuming he qualifies, then yes. He is a freak athlete with a ton of experience. But like I said, I think ultimately he will lose that qb battle to rovig.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:43 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Murray has 16-17 starts and all the starter reps during that span and through last spring, yet you guys think he’s behind the other three QBs of which have one start and about two weeks of starter reps in practice?
Fair point... But the other side of that coin is, how many of those other QBs have let down the team and coaches by becoming ineligible to play? I just don't see Choate handing the starting QB job to Murray again. Let him earn his way back on the team, sure. But Choate won't take any more gambles at QB, IMO. It's been the one downside of his tenure so far.
So yes, Murray is behind those other QBs.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:39 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:43 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Fair point... But the other side of that coin is, how many of those other QBs have let down the team and coaches by becoming ineligible to play? I just don't see Choate handing the starting QB job to Murray again. Let him earn his way back on the team, sure. But Choate won't take any more gambles at QB, IMO. It's been the one downside of his tenure so far.
So yes, Murray is behind those other QBs.
I’m talking about being behind in terms of what’s he knows about quarterbacking this team in relation to the others. I think Murray is ahead of the others in that regard. Saying he won’t start because others have moved ahead due to their ability to see film, work on timing and develop chemistry is a bit of a stretch, since they were all behind Andersen all year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Would you be saying Murray is behind the others if he had been injured for a year instead?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm
Would you be saying Murray is behind the others if he had been injured for a year instead?
Well, if he had blown his knee he might be physically behind the others, but his understanding (timing, chemistry) would be ahead of three guys with just a fraction of the experience.

At this point no one is ahead of him in that regard.

Murray isn’t a good passer. If someone is going to beat him out it’ll be because they’re significantly better at that aspect. If they’re only marginally better, they won’t beat him out because no one else can run anything like him.

toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm
You can still do thing with the team if you're injured.

You cannot do any film study, any workouts, pretty much nothing with the team if you're not on the team. And he wasn't on the team.

He's behind. He always relied on his athleticism and needed to make gains in the mental processing part. That's what he has missed out on that hurts the most.