QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:14 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:25 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Troy is where he belongs right now, BUT....There is a completely false narrative that’s been popping up time and again that needs correcting. I get where it comes from, after TR got hurt Choate said it was unfortunate because they were thinking it was time to go with Rovig. That was a PR comment to appease the disgruntled (and give Tucker incentive to keep hammering). Truth/reality is Choate was pot committed on TA. After just 2 weeks and with 8 screws holding 2 bones together in his hand TA marched right back in to command the huddle at Portland State. After season TA was offered a choice for his sacrifices. QB for 2019 or LB. TA chose defense. End of TA at QB discussion (except whenever Choate talks about TA, always says “in the LB room for now,” or “don’t screw it up or Miller will take him back.”)I think Rovig will be fine, with a healthy dose of TJonsen as well as the occasional Kassis or Andersen.
This strikes me as believable.
Why? Rovig was slated to start and broke his foot. It is well documented. That is the only reason Troy had to play quarterback at PSU. I heard it directly from Choate
Their actions leading up to the injury did not seem like they were gearing up for a switch. If memory serves, Rovig wasn't even running with the starters in the practice when he got hurt.
I recall that it was hush hush about the QB situation that week. Public did not know who was going to start until basically game day so not sure who was taking first team reps until Tucker got hurt. After the game, Choate did say that he was planning to go with Tucker until he got hurt.
Brooks and Colter Nuanez discussed the injury on their podcast and I recall both being baffled that Rovig was practicing with the scout team when the injury occurred. I know what Choate said, but I'm not sure that I believe him.
“Last Tuesday in our inside run period he got stepped on,” Choate explained. “It was kind of an unfortunate deal.” (From Gazette after Idaho game).
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:36 am

Rovig’s development is encouraging. He did well in the final spring game going 8-14 for 134 yards despite poor weather and the defense dominating nearly every phase. Beltran and Bauman, by comparison, combined to go 8-22 for 50 yards.

Whatever happened, happened. Without knowing what’s going on during player-led drills, the above is how it sits today.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 am
Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm
Nope. There was minimal talk of TR starting the Idaho game because of a high ankle sprain TA acquired during the EWU game. It was a wait and see scenario. Once TR broke his foot, there was no wait and see, only brace and tape.
A high ankle sprain takes anywhere from six weeks to a month to heal.
A lot longer when you compress the bones back together and continue to use it. Also causes other injuries due to favoring a very painful ankle. Remember the knee brace that came next? It really doesn’t matter at this point, but fans will never know what that kid played through/with, starting with his very first game as a bobcat at Washington State. There’s a reason he was given the ability to choose his position. Rovig has been progressing steadily (especially in leadership) and will be fine. The issue is our back ups are still a ways off. One is still learning the scheme and struggles to see the field at times, the other is terrified by the size and speed of FCS talent. Here’s to hoping the summer brings them knowledge and maturity. Cheers.

2019...🏆

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:11 am

Bauman will continue to develop nicely as a #2. We are still very young at the QB position. A strong running game will make a huge difference for the progression of these kids. Rovig will be fine.He is now at the age where he should be able to step in and take over the position with maturity. I believe we are right on schedule.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 am

Halfcat wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 am
Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm
Nope. There was minimal talk of TR starting the Idaho game because of a high ankle sprain TA acquired during the EWU game. It was a wait and see scenario. Once TR broke his foot, there was no wait and see, only brace and tape.
A high ankle sprain takes anywhere from six weeks to a month to heal.
A lot longer when you compress the bones back together and continue to use it. Also causes other injuries due to favoring a very painful ankle. Remember the knee brace that came next? It really doesn’t matter at this point, but fans will never know what that kid played through/with, starting with his very first game as a bobcat at Washington State. There’s a reason he was given the ability to choose his position. Rovig has been progressing steadily (especially in leadership) and will be fine. The issue is our back ups are still a ways off. One is still learning the scheme and struggles to see the field at times, the other is terrified by the size and speed of FCS talent. Here’s to hoping the summer brings them knowledge and maturity. Cheers.
Six weeks to 3 months is what should’ve said.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:15 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:11 am
Bauman will continue to develop nicely as a #2. We are still very young at the QB position. A strong running game will make a huge difference for the progression of these kids. Rovig will be fine.He is now at the age where he should be able to step in and take over the position with maturity. I believe we are right on schedule.
I agree. I've said it a few times but I really think Rovig is going to surprise a bunch of people. He's a proven leader and winner at least at the HS level (Watch his tape again, he is very smart with the ball, has great accuracy, and usually makes the right reads. When things break down, he scrambles well, looks downfield and is good at finding and hitting open receivers. When he has to run, he's actually pretty fast.).

I think he might look like Case Cookus in his first full year as a starter. He may not prove to be as good as Cookus, but he's not going to be a dud - I can promise you that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:25 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Troy is where he belongs right now, BUT....There is a completely false narrative that’s been popping up time and again that needs correcting. I get where it comes from, after TR got hurt Choate said it was unfortunate because they were thinking it was time to go with Rovig. That was a PR comment to appease the disgruntled (and give Tucker incentive to keep hammering). Truth/reality is Choate was pot committed on TA. After just 2 weeks and with 8 screws holding 2 bones together in his hand TA marched right back in to command the huddle at Portland State. After season TA was offered a choice for his sacrifices. QB for 2019 or LB. TA chose defense. End of TA at QB discussion (except whenever Choate talks about TA, always says “in the LB room for now,” or “don’t screw it up or Miller will take him back.”)I think Rovig will be fine, with a healthy dose of TJonsen as well as the occasional Kassis or Andersen.
This strikes me as believable.
Why? Rovig was slated to start and broke his foot. It is well documented. That is the only reason Troy had to play quarterback at PSU. I heard it directly from Choate
Rovig played in the Hillsboro State game but Andersen started. I was there.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm

I like how some reality has crept into the conversation for the last couple of pages.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be concerned about where we are going to make up TA’s lost production. The facts here are simple. If TA wanted to play QB he’d be the starter. We are moving to Rovig because TA is an NFL caliber LB and that’s where he wants to play.

Rovig has one decent game under his belt against a Wagner team with a high school secondary and honestly some of his completed passes were floated up there like a game of 500. Kassis caught one right in front of me that he had to sit and wait for.

I’m not saying that Rovig sucks or anything but he definitely is going to have to be better if our offense has any shot. We just had a QB that could score on any play so if we are going to move onto a kid who provides more of a passing threat then he needs to be able throw the football and not just lob it up to wide open receivers like some have suggested.

I think practicing against our defense everyday will help and I’m optimistic he’ll improve and become a good QB for us but it’s not unreasonable to have some concerns around that position.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm
I like how some reality has crept into the conversation for the last couple of pages.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be concerned about where we are going to make up TA’s lost production. The facts here are simple. If TA wanted to play QB he’d be the starter. We are moving to Rovig because TA is an NFL caliber LB and that’s where he wants to play.

Rovig has one decent game under his belt against a Wagner team with a high school secondary and honestly some of his completed passes were floated up there like a game of 500. Kassis caught one right in front of me that he had to sit and wait for.

I’m not saying that Rovig sucks or anything but he definitely is going to have to be better if our offense has any shot. We just had a QB that could score on any play so if we are going to move onto a kid who provides more of a passing threat then he needs to be able throw the football and not just lob it up to wide open receivers like some have suggested.

I think practicing against our defense everyday will help and I’m optimistic he’ll improve and become a good QB for us but it’s not unreasonable to have some concerns around that position.
Some reality....

We are already anointing TA as an NFL caliber LB..despite only playing how many snaps there? Dont get me wrong, I love that kid. His athleticism and leadership are immeasurable but lets not start calling him Butkus just yet. I want to see how he performs there when thats his primary position. I expect great things.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Question...has anyone actually seen Rovig gun the ball? Because if you did, then he can. I cannot see how any recruiter can bring in a tall quarterback at the division 1 level with perhaps average running ability if he can't throw the ball with some impunity. Note, I have not seen Rovig throw a football at all.. But, I did play and coach the position. "Floaters" come in all shapes and sizes for several reasons. One is the qb lacks a certain confidence and is aiming the ball instead of delivering it. Another, because of a lack of experience or faith, he tries to mail it in a way he is confident the receiver will catch it. Some quarterbacks, on the other hand, lack the ability to throw anything but a dart. They lack touch. Those are harder to fix. I believe Rovig just needs a little time to catch up to the college game. The first thing most quarterbacks notice when they get to college is how fast everything has suddenly become. We will find out rather quickly if he is making the adjustments necessary. I'm pretty confident.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Some reality....

We are already anointing TA as an NFL caliber LB..despite only playing how many snaps there? Dont get me wrong, I love that kid. His athleticism and leadership are immeasurable but lets not start calling him Butkus just yet. I want to see how he performs there when thats his primary position. I expect great things.
Just based off of Choate’s assessment. I’m simply saying he has big time potential. I think in some ways the coaches want to give him an opportunity to play at his best position but he is so skilled that the temptation to give him the football has been hard to stay away from especially given what our situation was.

I’m pulling for Rovig as much as anyone. If he comes in and plays well TA will be freed up to dominate on defense.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:12 pm
Question...has anyone actually seen Rovig gun the ball? Because if you did, then he can. I cannot see how any recruiter can bring in a tall quarterback at the division 1 level with perhaps average running ability if he can't throw the ball with some impunity. Note, I have not seen Rovig throw a football at all.. But, I did play and coach the position. "Floaters" come in all shapes and sizes for several reasons. One is the qb lacks a certain confidence and is aiming the ball instead of delivering it. Another, because of a lack of experience or faith, he tries to mail it in a way he is confident the receiver will catch it. Some quarterbacks, on the other hand, lack the ability to throw anything but a dart. They lack touch. Those are harder to fix. I believe Rovig just needs a little time to catch up to the college game. The first thing most quarterbacks notice when they get to college is how fast everything has suddenly become. We will find out rather quickly if he is making the adjustments necessary. I'm pretty confident.
Great post and I agree with all of it. I’m simply pushing back on the idea that the Wagner game showed this passing game that we had at our disposal and went unused. Rovig played fine but the level of competition had something to do with it. Some people see a completed pass and can’t see that there is more to it. I’ll also concede that Rovig has some nice throws that were drops.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:01 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:36 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Great post and I agree with all of it. I’m simply pushing back on the idea that the Wagner game showed this passing game that we had at our disposal and went unused. Rovig played fine but the level of competition had something to do with it. Some people see a completed pass and can’t see that there is more to it. I’ll also concede that Rovig has some nice throws that were drops.
With Matt Miller running the offense now, I think he'll run plays to Rovig's ability, or whoever is in at QB. The Wagner was still under the old playing calling. I'm excited for this up coming year, can't wait to see what this offense can do.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:10 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:01 pm
utucats wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
With Matt Miller running the offense now, I think he'll run plays to Rovig's ability, or whoever is in at QB. The Wagner was still under the old playing calling. I'm excited for this up coming year, can't wait to see what this offense can do.
Rovig's ability has not even begun to be seen. As much as utu states that "reality" has come to the discussion now, ha, he has never really seen Rovig as a starter. "I'm pulling.. I hope..." is a new way of saying "I couched my bet"!

Reality is this: Rovig's best work to date has been done pre-MSU as Idaho 5A State Champ, 1st Team All League QB,SIC Player of the Year, 2nd team all league punter, 158 of 257, 30TD's 6Ints, 2400yards thrown.... not bad for a kid who "floats the ball"!

Against SDSU he was 13-25 for 164 yards and a 104 QB rating,
Wagner he was 23 of 34 for 310 and a 173 QB rating,
PSU he was 2-2 for 61 yards and a QB rating of 356
EWU he was 4-7 for 49 yards 115% QB rating.

All that to say, this was during a freshman year where he "struggled"! Reality, you and I have not YET seen him emerge...but I for one think the reality is more about a champion league leader stepping into his own and MSU flourishing... but I am honest to say, we've not seen it yet fully but I'm not worried. :coffee:

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:10 am
FTG247365 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Rovig's ability has not even begun to be seen. As much as utu states that "reality" has come to the discussion now, ha, he has never really seen Rovig as a starter. "I'm pulling.. I hope..." is a new way of saying "I couched my bet"!

Reality is this: Rovig's best work to date has been done pre-MSU as Idaho 5A State Champ, 1st Team All League QB,SIC Player of the Year, 2nd team all league punter, 158 of 257, 30TD's 6Ints, 2400yards thrown.... not bad for a kid who "floats the ball"!

All that to say, this was during a freshman year where he "struggled"! Reality, you and I have not YET seen him emerge...but I for one think the reality is more about a champion league leader stepping into his own and MSU flourishing... but I am honest to say, we've not seen it yet fully but I'm not worried. :coffee:
I think you may have drank too much coffee. I’m confused on multiple levels.

First off, I don’t know what it means to “couch” a bet.

Next, thanks for listing high school accomplishments but every kid on the team has those. It’s also a little troubling how he performed in spring ball after getting those accomplishments, or are we not allowed to remember that TA was the best option for a reason.

I’m glad you’re excited, but anyone who wants to be objective could look at the positives but also give a little nod to the fact that Wagner’s secondary wasn’t great, spring ball disaster and getting beat out of a QB job by a kid that isn’t a QB.

Regardless of my bet couching, I truly do hope Rovig ends up being great but I’ve seen a few things that are giving me pause to anoint him just yet.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:10 am
FTG247365 wrote:
utucats wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

I think you may have drank too much coffee. I’m confused on multiple levels.

First off, I don’t know what it means to “couch” a bet.

Next, thanks for listing high school accomplishments but every kid on the team has those. It’s also a little troubling how he performed in spring ball after getting those accomplishments, or are we not allowed to remember that TA was the best option for a reason.

I’m glad you’re excited, but anyone who wants to be objective could look at the positives but also give a little nod to the fact that Wagner’s secondary wasn’t great, spring ball disaster and getting beat out of a QB job by a kid that isn’t a QB.

Regardless of my bet couching, I truly do hope Rovig ends up being great but I’ve seen a few things that are giving me pause to anoint him just yet.
Ohhhh, the coffee is fine! I am likely a bit older than you and "couching the bet" aka "hedging the bet" are synonyms in my world. Sorry it's a bit esoteric.

Regarding H.S. stats, I kinda know that everyone has those at this level...except Akpla-isk types, but it is also true that the CV from HS is his alone and few would come with that pedigree. I'm not about comparing CV's but if a kid has the capacity to lead and win at the HS level, Choate thought he would be his first shot at an MSU QB (if memory serves) and I kind of go along with him.

I have given you and others the nod that he hasn't emerged yet...but his numbers that have been posted...as a Freshman were not ugly in the least and portent better things as leadership, skills, knowledge etc. all grow. And, so I sit, sipping fine grade espresso and enjoying the prospects of another great Bobcat season before us...all the while watching TA kill it at LB all season long...with a few runs for TDs thrown in. 8)

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am

Colter: “Rovig, who struggled last spring with his confidence and his mechanics, looked back to his old form, throwing with confidence and increased velocity. One of his best throws came on a rollout when he fired a dart into a window to sophomore Coy Steel for a long gain.”

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am
Colter: “Rovig, who struggled last spring with his confidence and his mechanics, looked back to his old form, throwing with confidence and increased velocity. One of his best throws came on a rollout when he fired a dart into a window to sophomore Coy Steel for a long gain.”
Oh my god, this has to be something to worry about. I mean can he do this consistently, or might he end up making mistakes. This surely warrants at least a few pages od discussion. :D

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am
Oh my god, this has to be something to worry about. I mean can he do this consistently, or might he end up making mistakes. This surely warrants at least a few pages od discussion. :D
Just throwing it out there since I see some people questioning his arm strength.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:15 am

I think everyone who is worried about him "replacing" Troy's production is forgetting the several games that our offense did literally nothing the entire game except for 1 or 2 plays last year. Troy put up ~2600 yards of offense last year, I think that is totally attainable by Rovig with say 300 yards rushing and 2300 passing. It really isn't that high of a bar to cross. Yes it will impact some of our running back production but Ifanse is a special player who can make something out of nothing. I think he will top his production last year. Hopefully with all the options in the backfield, he can stay healthier.

The reason that Rovig wasn't starting last year was because he had a crisis of confidence during spring ball. He was supposed to take the reins and just wasn't ready. He bounced back during summer and fall but wasn't quite there yet so Troy started. From everything I heard, during the bye week between EWU and Idaho, Rovig was getting starter reps while Troy was working on defense. Maybe he was hurt with the scout team trying to get extra reps but that's the first time since last year I've hear anyone claim that. I 100% believe he will be just fine and the coaches are good with rolling with him. IMHO, they went after transfers because we need upperclassman depth and why go after a transfer you don't think will start/can you even find a transfer willing to come in and be the backup?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN