QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm just looking forward to actually seeing the offense that Miller is putting together.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am
I'm in agreement that Rovig will need to complete some passes downfield. I guess my thinking is that the passing game will certainly be better than last year because it was almost non-existent. I don't question whether that will happen - it will happen.

Yes it's an advantage in the run game when there's an extra run threat at QB. But there was also no threat to complete a pass downfield. Big advantage to the defense there, so it's a wash. With a QB who can run but not throw, there's 8-9 in the box. With a QB who can throw but not run, there's 7 max in the box.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the passing game will be better. What I question is whether the improvement will be enough to offset the loss of what Andersen brought to the running game. And when I say I question it, I mean that literally. I am not saying they will necessarily be worse but I also don't join many Cat fans who seem to assume that they will necessarily be better. There will be an offset and it remains to be seen if the net difference is positive or negative.

As to the last point, I don't think it's a wash. I think the attention that Troy drew as a runner was a unique boon to the running game that won't be replaced. A passing threat will help but I don't think it will have the same effect. Traditionally, nothing helps running backs as much as a running threat at QB.
IMO it's at least a wash. TA was good for 140 rushing yards and about 90 passing yards per game. That's 230 total. Call me crazy but I have no doubt that Rovig's combined yards will be at least that.
And yes, TA was a threat to score on any running play. But with Rovig, the offense is a threat to throw a TD pass. I think TA threw 3 all season.
And please don't take this as me putting down TA. That kid's a stud and will be in the Bobcat HOF someday, maybe NFL, and we'll certainly miss his running and breakaway TD runs. But the offense as a whole is going to be better with a guy who's built to be a QB not a RB or LB.
I don't think TA averaged 140 yard rushing per game, but I could be wrong. Either way, definitely agree that TR's total yards per game between rushing and passing will be significantly higher than what we saw with TA.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 pm
91catAlum wrote:
IMO it's at least a wash. TA was good for 140 rushing yards and about 90 passing yards per game. That's 230 total. Call me crazy but I have no doubt that Rovig's combined yards will be at least that.
And yes, TA was a threat to score on any running play. But with Rovig, the offense is a threat to throw a TD pass. I think TA threw 3 all season.
And please don't take this as me putting down TA. That kid's a stud and will be in the Bobcat HOF someday, maybe NFL, and we'll certainly miss his running and breakaway TD runs. But the offense as a whole is going to be better with a guy who's built to be a QB not a RB or LB.
I think it's realistic that Rovig could match that yardage total on average, but that's not the whole picture. If you combine rushing and passing, Andersen was 24-7 in touchdowns to turnovers. Had he been able to start all 13 games, that extrapolates to 28-8. For perspective, in 2012 and 2013, McGhee's ratios were 12-4 and 27-10. I can easily envision an MSU offense that gains more yards, but it's hard for me to envision them being more efficient when it comes to scoring vs. turning the ball over.

Then there's the impact on other players. Andersen's presence opened things up for Ifanse and Jones. Will Rovig offer enough of a threat through the air to replicate that effect? Certainly his ability to throw will help, but as far as a one for one comparison, I tend to think that he won't be able to completely replicate it.

It's going to come down to whether Rovig can been an effective passer without being turnover prone. That's possible, but based on what I've seen, I have my doubts. I think the fact that the staff tried to find alternative options going back to last offseason would possibly suggest that they also have their doubts. Time will tell. I am obviously rooting for the kid to develop and be a terrific passer for the Cats this season. All I'm really saying is that I see reasons not to just assume that will happen.
Agree with everything except the underlined part. As you say, time will tell! I saw something different in TR. I saw a talented young player that was named the starter (over TA - so coaches obviously felt he game us a better chance to win than TA) that of course had some growing pains as young players do, but was starting to click and get into the groove when he got injured. Also, not wanting to open that whole can of worms again but I strongly disagree the coaches went into panic mode to find a replacement QB because they had no confidence in TR. Again, coaches are always trying to bring in players better than what they currently have, their jobs depend on it.
Last edited by catatac on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Agree with everything except the underlined part. As you say, time will tell! I saw something different in TR. I saw a talented young player that was named the starter (over TA - so coaches obviously felt he game us a better chance to win than TA) that of course has some growing pains as young players do, but was starting to click and get into the groove when he lost his season due to injury. Also, not wanting to hope that whole can of worms again but I strongly disagree the coaches went into panic mode to find a replacement QB because they had no confidence in TR. Again, coaches are always trying to bring in players better than what they currently have, their jobs depend on it.
They planned to eventually start him, but initially the linebacker was named a starter over him.

I am not sure about "panic mode" but there's just no arguing with the facts here-- the staff made concerted efforts to bring in players who would have almost certainly started over Rovig. If this is just typical practice, then someone needs to explain to me why we didn't see similar efforts to replace most other projected starters on the roster.

The reality is that staffs seek transfers at positions of perceived weakness. That's not a comfortable thought, but it's true.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 pm
catatac wrote:
Agree with everything except the underlined part. As you say, time will tell! I saw something different in TR. I saw a talented young player that was named the starter (over TA - so coaches obviously felt he game us a better chance to win than TA) that of course has some growing pains as young players do, but was starting to click and get into the groove when he lost his season due to injury. Also, not wanting to hope that whole can of worms again but I strongly disagree the coaches went into panic mode to find a replacement QB because they had no confidence in TR. Again, coaches are always trying to bring in players better than what they currently have, their jobs depend on it.
They planned to eventually start him, but initially the linebacker was named a starter over him.

I am not sure about "panic mode" but there's just no arguing with the facts here-- the staff made concerted efforts to bring in players who would have almost certainly started over Rovig. If this is just typical practice, then someone needs to explain to me why we didn't see similar efforts to replace most other projected starters on the roster.

The reality is that staffs seek transfers at positions of perceived weakness. That's not a comfortable thought, but it's true.
Seeking a QB transfer isn't necessarily a knock on Rovig. You gotta have more than 1 capable QB on your roster and if the coaches feel Bauman isn't ready to go yet, then they need to bring another guy in just to have a completed 2-deep.
I'm not saying that's the case, just saying there are more reasons to bring in another QB than just not having confidence in Rovig.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:16 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I'm in agreement that Rovig will need to complete some passes downfield. I guess my thinking is that the passing game will certainly be better than last year because it was almost non-existent. I don't question whether that will happen - it will happen.

Yes it's an advantage in the run game when there's an extra run threat at QB. But there was also no threat to complete a pass downfield. Big advantage to the defense there, so it's a wash. With a QB who can run but not throw, there's 8-9 in the box. With a QB who can throw but not run, there's 7 max in the box.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the passing game will be better. What I question is whether the improvement will be enough to offset the loss of what Andersen brought to the running game. And when I say I question it, I mean that literally. I am not saying they will necessarily be worse but I also don't join many Cat fans who seem to assume that they will necessarily be better. There will be an offset and it remains to be seen if the net difference is positive or negative.

As to the last point, I don't think it's a wash. I think the attention that Troy drew as a runner was a unique boon to the running game that won't be replaced. A passing threat will help but I don't think it will have the same effect. Traditionally, nothing helps running backs as much as a running threat at QB.
I don't think TA averaged 140 yard rushing per game, but I could be wrong. Either way, definitely agree that TR's total yards per game between rushing and passing will be significantly higher than what we saw with TA.
Could be. I didn't look up exact numbers but I believe he had just over 1500 yards in 11 healthy games so I estimated.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:18 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:05 pm
catatac wrote:

Seeking a QB transfer isn't necessarily a knock on Rovig. You gotta have more than 1 capable QB on your roster and if the coaches feel Bauman isn't ready to go yet, then they need to bring another guy in just to have a completed 2-deep.
I'm not saying that's the case, just saying there are more reasons to bring in another QB than just not having confidence in Rovig.
I hear you, but the guys they efforted were not just depth.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:16 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Could be. I didn't look up exact numbers but I believe he had just over 1500 yards in 11 healthy games so I estimated.
The running backs should pick up some of the rushing yardage lost. Rovig will probably throw for 1,000 more yards than Andersen, who will still run for 500. Jones will get some of Andersen’s carries as will Ifanse. I bet MSU is good for another 30 yards per game at least. Andersen is also a receiving threat.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

MSU lost to SDSU, EWU, WSU and NDSU by 31, 17, 10, and 42. The Bobcats don’t play any of those teams this year, so it’ll be hard to gauge how they’re progressing. The TT and Davis games are the two best measuring stick games. I’d be encouraged if MSU can stay with in 17-21 points of TT. Until the Davis game they need to string together some decisive wins. Not the 1-point win over Idaho, or the 3 and 4 point wins over WIU and UM.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Troy is where he belongs right now, BUT....There is a completely false narrative that’s been popping up time and again that needs correcting. I get where it comes from, after TR got hurt Choate said it was unfortunate because they were thinking it was time to go with Rovig. That was a PR comment to appease the disgruntled (and give Tucker incentive to keep hammering). Truth/reality is Choate was pot committed on TA. After just 2 weeks and with 8 screws holding 2 bones together in his hand TA marched right back in to command the huddle at Portland State. After season TA was offered a choice for his sacrifices. QB for 2019 or LB. TA chose defense. End of TA at QB discussion (except whenever Choate talks about TA, always says “in the LB room for now,” or “don’t screw it up or Miller will take him back.”)I think Rovig will be fine, with a healthy dose of TJonsen as well as the occasional Kassis or Andersen.

2019...🏆

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Troy is where he belongs right now, BUT....There is a completely false narrative that’s been popping up time and again that needs correcting. I get where it comes from, after TR got hurt Choate said it was unfortunate because they were thinking it was time to go with Rovig. That was a PR comment to appease the disgruntled (and give Tucker incentive to keep hammering). Truth/reality is Choate was pot committed on TA. After just 2 weeks and with 8 screws holding 2 bones together in his hand TA marched right back in to command the huddle at Portland State. After season TA was offered a choice for his sacrifices. QB for 2019 or LB. TA chose defense. End of TA at QB discussion (except whenever Choate talks about TA, always says “in the LB room for now,” or “don’t screw it up or Miller will take him back.”)I think Rovig will be fine, with a healthy dose of TJonsen as well as the occasional Kassis or Andersen.
This strikes me as believable.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:25 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Halfcat wrote:
Why? Rovig was slated to start and broke his foot. It is well documented. That is the only reason Troy had to play quarterback at PSU. I heard it directly from Choate

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm

Check the timeline, Rovig broke his foot between the Eastern Washington and Idaho game, 3 weeks after Portland. TA started PSU and EWU with a healthy Tucker. TR got a couple series in both games.

2019...🏆

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:25 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Halfcat wrote:
Why? Rovig was slated to start and broke his foot. It is well documented. That is the only reason Troy had to play quarterback at PSU. I heard it directly from Choate
Their actions leading up to the injury did not seem like they were gearing up for a switch. If memory serves, Rovig wasn't even running with the starters in the practice when he got hurt.

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Nope. There was minimal talk of TR starting the Idaho game because of a high ankle sprain TA acquired during the EWU game. It was a wait and see scenario. Once TR broke his foot, there was no wait and see, only brace and tape.

2019...🏆

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm
Check the timeline, Rovig broke his foot between the Eastern Washington and Idaho game, 3 weeks after Portland. TA started PSU and EWU with a healthy Tucker. TR got a couple series in both games.
You are right. It was before the Idaho game that Rovig was supposed to start. He then broke his foot in practice that week.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Halfcat wrote:
Their actions leading up to the injury did not seem like they were gearing up for a switch. If memory serves, Rovig wasn't even running with the starters in the practice when he got hurt.
I recall that it was hush hush about the QB situation that week. Public did not know who was going to start until basically game day so not sure who was taking first team reps until Tucker got hurt. After the game, Choate did say that he was planning to go with Tucker until he got hurt.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:25 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Halfcat wrote:
I recall that it was hush hush about the QB situation that week. Public did not know who was going to start until basically game day so not sure who was taking first team reps until Tucker got hurt. After the game, Choate did say that he was planning to go with Tucker until he got hurt.
YEP!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 am

Halfcat wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm
Nope. There was minimal talk of TR starting the Idaho game because of a high ankle sprain TA acquired during the EWU game. It was a wait and see scenario. Once TR broke his foot, there was no wait and see, only brace and tape.
A high ankle sprain takes anywhere from six weeks to a month to heal.

toM StUber

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Halfcat wrote:
Brooks and Colter Nuanez discussed the injury on their podcast and I recall both being baffled that Rovig was practicing with the scout team when the injury occurred. I know what Choate said, but I'm not sure that I believe him.