QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: QB Update

Post by RobertCats » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:27 pm
Rich K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 pm
I think we need to create a wine shed.
Could we get a whiskey shed too?
How tall are these babes?

Bottom left could easily play MLB in the FBS

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm
Rich K wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Dang. This is the committee that we have to go through to get that whiskey shed. Even worse, I do think that is the new Missoulian executive editor (back row, far right). This is going to be a long season.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/misso ... the-latest

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm

If a thread is to be hijacked, for God's sake somebody is going to have fun, even if it's just me that enjoys it.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Rich K wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Obviously without an official prohibitionist camp, I can't be certain. Using my trained eye, I'd wager a good 4'4. Too short for our shed, but qualified enough for that program in Hippyville.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 pm
Rich K wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Dang. This is the committee that we have to go through to get that whiskey shed. Even worse, I do think that is the new Missoulian executive editor (back row, far right). This is going to be a long season.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/misso ... the-latest
:lol: =D^

Freaking Florio. Never heard of anybody with that name who knew a darn about football. Gwen and Mike both suck.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:30 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am
15+ years ago, my uncle was coaching football in Las Vegas. He had a kid that “was too short and too slow” to draw interest from ANY Big Sky Conference Coach. My uncle called every coaching connection he had. The kid ultimately walked on at UNLV. Jamaal Brimmer was the Mountain West Defensive MVP multiple times during his tenure at UNLV.

I get so tired of the “too short too slow” BS. Altuve is another great example.

J Martin has won plenty of accolades despite his obvious shortcomings.

LETS GO CATS.

FTG
No one tried to make the case that Martin is too short or too slow. There is basically universal excitement that the Cats got a great recruit. In fact, the optimism is so strong that some have wondered how in the world we got him to leave Florida for Bozeman. One poster suggested that height might have been the reason-- not that it should be viewed as a real negative but that perhaps he got overlooked due to height. Cataholic pitched a fit that someone suggested that Martin might be a touch short and here we are... people are grandstanding about height not being that important when literally no one is on the other side of the argument.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm
It’s a no win. That’s why you just go with “defending the brand” whenever in doubt. Seems like as long as you don’t ever question anything and just be positive about all things at all times, regardless of situation, then you’ll pass the BN test. I mean especially here on a message board. These things weren’t built for varying opinions, thoughts, or ideas, unless of course you defend the brand in doing so!

Btw, I think Rovig will be a much better passer than TA but not as close to a runner so it will kind of even out. Ifanse is a beast and I love all about him that I’ve seen but now he’ll get keyed on a lot more. Will be interesting to see how he responds.
I basically agree. Both BN and EG are full of posters who just want sunshine and rainbows blown up their back sides in regard to the home team.

And yes, the Cats should have a better passing attack but at the cost of the QB run game, which has been the foundation of the offense for 3 seasons. This change had to happen at some point, but I am still if Rovig is the man for the transition. Whether the passing offense will improve by enough to offset the running game losses remains to be seen.

Ifanse will be keyed on more, but that could be offset if Rovig is effective enough to force defenders out of the box or make them pay with play action.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:59 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am
Grizaddict wrote:
It’s a no win. That’s why you just go with “defending the brand” whenever in doubt. Seems like as long as you don’t ever question anything and just be positive about all things at all times, regardless of situation, then you’ll pass the BN test. I mean especially here on a message board. These things weren’t built for varying opinions, thoughts, or ideas, unless of course you defend the brand in doing so!

Btw, I think Rovig will be a much better passer than TA but not as close to a runner so it will kind of even out. Ifanse is a beast and I love all about him that I’ve seen but now he’ll get keyed on a lot more. Will be interesting to see how he responds.
I basically agree. Both BN and EG are full of posters who just want sunshine and rainbows blown up their back sides in regard to the home team.

And yes, the Cats should have a better passing attack but at the cost of the QB run game, which has been the foundation of the offense for 3 seasons. This change had to happen at some point, but I am still if Rovig is the man for the transition. Whether the passing offense will improve by enough to offset the running game losses remains to be seen.

Ifanse will be keyed on more, but that could be offset if Rovig is effective enough to force defenders out of the box or make them pay with play action.
Ifanse faced 8 and 9 defenders In the box all year last year, since everyone knew we couldn't throw the ball consistently. Every opposing defense played cover zero or 1 high safety. That's about as tough as it's gonna get for Ifanse.
I don't think any of us (except griz addict) should be worried even a little about the Cats' ability to run the ball this season.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:59 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Ifanse faced 8 and 9 defenders In the box all year last year, since everyone knew we couldn't throw the ball consistently. Every opposing defense played cover zero or 1 high safety. That's about as tough as it's gonna get for Ifanse.
I don't think any of us (except griz addict) should be worried even a little about the Cats' ability to run the ball this season.
Yes and no.

Yes, there were a lot of guys in the box, but they weren't always keyed on Ifanse. They honestly were keyed on Andersen more so, and rightfully so. That will change this year. Rovig HAS to make them pay for stacking the box, or we will struggle to run the ball.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:20 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:17 am
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Yes and no.

Yes, there were a lot of guys in the box, but they weren't always keyed on Ifanse. They honestly were keyed on Andersen more so, and rightfully so. That will change this year. Rovig HAS to make them pay for stacking the box, or we will struggle to run the ball.
Yes it's an advantage with TA back there. But most run defenses cover gaps, not players. They still need to cover the gaps.
We'll see how it goes, but the run game will be just fine and I'll be more than happy to revisit this thread in December.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am

91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

He faced stacked boxes that were keyed on TA. Running threats at QB open up opportunities for backs. This is what Choate is talking about when he says that Troy or Chris allowed us to be +1 in the running game.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:20 am
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Yes and no.

Most run defenses cover gaps, not players. They still need to cover the gaps.
We'll see how it goes, but the run game will be just fine and I'll be more than happy to revisit this thread in December.
I do think the running game will be good, but not as good without a running threat under center. Your logic here flies in the face of option football. Yes, defenses cover gaps. But when they don't know who is actually carrying the ball, it creates hesitation, bad reads, and opportunities. This is basic stuff. As I said, some of this may be offset if there is a real passing attack and the boxes lighten up. But that remains to be seen. Rovig is going to have to prove he can make defenses pay for overloading to stop the run.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 am

91catAlum wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Yes and no.

You'd be surprised, I think. The threat of the read option, or any option, delays the keys (reads) of the defense. Andersen was the bigger threat, he got keyed on more often. You can see it on the tape pretty visibly. Defensive players eyes and feet followed him.

Our running game will be fine if we can consistently beat teams when they stack the box. If we can't do that, the running game will struggle more than it should. Sure, Rovig might be able to get 5-6 yards on a RO, which obviously isn't bad at all...but defenses aren't going to care that much if that happens every now and again. If that same play was Andersen, it could've been 6. So there's a real difference in who/what they're keying on, if that makes sense. I'm not saying our run game will be bad, just that it needs Rovig to beat the box. That's all.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 am
91catAlum wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Yes and no.

I do think the running game will be good, but not as good without a running threat under center. Your logic here flies in the face of option football. Yes, defenses cover gaps. But when they don't know who is actually carrying the ball, it creates hesitation, bad reads, and opportunities. This is basic stuff. As I said, some of this may be offset if there is a real passing attack and the boxes lighten up. But that remains to be seen. Rovig is going to have to prove he can make defenses pay for overloading to stop the run.
I'm in agreement that Rovig will need to complete some passes downfield. I guess my thinking is that the passing game will certainly be better than last year because it was almost non-existent. I don't question whether that will happen - it will happen.

Yes it's an advantage in the run game when there's an extra run threat at QB. But there was also no threat to complete a pass downfield. Big advantage to the defense there, so it's a wash. With a QB who can run but not throw, there's 8-9 in the box. With a QB who can throw but not run, there's 7 max in the box.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am

Rovig can and will gain yards on read option plays consistently if teams ignore him. Even against SDSU last year when he made the right read he got a modest gain a time or 2. Same thing in the spring scrimmage. He's not gonna break one off for a TD but he will be able to keep the D honest enough to force them to pay attention to him on read option plays.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 am

91catAlum wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

I hear what you’re saying. And I already said ifanse is a complete stud. However ONE of the reasons he was effective was the defense having to key in TA at QB and his ability to run. That won’t be as much of a threat with Rovig is my point. Now you don’t have to key on both, just ifanse. Easier to defend.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 am

One back sets will be a small portion of the offense IMO.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am
I'm in agreement that Rovig will need to complete some passes downfield. I guess my thinking is that the passing game will certainly be better than last year because it was almost non-existent. I don't question whether that will happen - it will happen.

Yes it's an advantage in the run game when there's an extra run threat at QB. But there was also no threat to complete a pass downfield. Big advantage to the defense there, so it's a wash. With a QB who can run but not throw, there's 8-9 in the box. With a QB who can throw but not run, there's 7 max in the box.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the passing game will be better. What I question is whether the improvement will be enough to offset the loss of what Andersen brought to the running game. And when I say I question it, I mean that literally. I am not saying they will necessarily be worse but I also don't join many Cat fans who seem to assume that they will necessarily be better. There will be an offset and it remains to be seen if the net difference is positive or negative.

As to the last point, I don't think it's a wash. I think the attention that Troy drew as a runner was a unique boon to the running game that won't be replaced. A passing threat will help but I don't think it will have the same effect. Traditionally, nothing helps running backs as much as a running threat at QB.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am

Yeah, I don't doubt that the passing game will be better. What I question is whether the improvement will be enough to offset the loss of what Andersen brought to the running game. And when I say I question it, I mean that literally. I am not saying they will necessarily be worse but I also don't join many Cat fans who seem to assume that they will necessarily be better. There will be an offset and it remains to be seen if the net difference is positive or negative.

As to the last point, I don't think it's a wash. I think the attention that Troy drew as a runner was a unique boon to the running game that won't be replaced. A passing threat will help but I don't think it will have the same effect. Traditionally, nothing helps running backs as much as a running threat at QB.
IMO it's at least a wash. TA was good for 140 rushing yards and about 90 passing yards per game. That's 230 total. Call me crazy but I have no doubt that Rovig's combined yards will be at least that.
And yes, TA was a threat to score on any running play. But with Rovig, the offense is a threat to throw a TD pass. I think TA threw 3 all season.
And please don't take this as me putting down TA. That kid's a stud and will be in the Bobcat HOF someday, maybe NFL, and we'll certainly miss his running and breakaway TD runs. But the offense as a whole is going to be better with a guy who's built to be a QB not a RB or LB.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm
IMO it's at least a wash. TA was good for 140 rushing yards and about 90 passing yards per game. That's 230 total. Call me crazy but I have no doubt that Rovig's combined yards will be at least that.
And yes, TA was a threat to score on any running play. But with Rovig, the offense is a threat to throw a TD pass. I think TA threw 3 all season.
And please don't take this as me putting down TA. That kid's a stud and will be in the Bobcat HOF someday, maybe NFL, and we'll certainly miss his running and breakaway TD runs. But the offense as a whole is going to be better with a guy who's built to be a QB not a RB or LB.
I think it's realistic that Rovig could match that yardage total on average, but that's not the whole picture. If you combine rushing and passing, Andersen was 24-7 in touchdowns to turnovers. Had he been able to start all 13 games, that extrapolates to 28-8. For perspective, in 2012 and 2013, McGhee's ratios were 12-4 and 27-10. I can easily envision an MSU offense that gains more yards, but it's hard for me to envision them being more efficient when it comes to scoring vs. turning the ball over.

Then there's the impact on other players. Andersen's presence opened things up for Ifanse and Jones. Will Rovig offer enough of a threat through the air to replicate that effect? Certainly his ability to throw will help, but as far as a one for one comparison, I tend to think that he won't be able to completely replicate it.

It's going to come down to whether Rovig can been an effective passer without being turnover prone. That's possible, but based on what I've seen, I have my doubts. I think the fact that the staff tried to find alternative options going back to last offseason would possibly suggest that they also have their doubts. Time will tell. I am obviously rooting for the kid to develop and be a terrific passer for the Cats this season. All I'm really saying is that I see reasons not to just assume that will happen.