QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:30 am
John K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am
15+ years ago, my uncle was coaching football in Las Vegas. He had a kid that “was too short and too slow” to draw interest from ANY Big Sky Conference Coach. My uncle called every coaching connection he had. The kid ultimately walked on at UNLV. Jamaal Brimmer was the Mountain West Defensive MVP multiple times during his tenure at UNLV.

I get so tired of the “too short too slow” BS. Altuve is another great example.

J Martin has won plenty of accolades despite his obvious shortcomings.

LETS GO CATS.

FTG
I agree completely with this. Exhibit A: Dave Dickenson. Didn't Earle the Pearl think he was too short to be a BSC QB?
I think that 94 Vegas was saying the “too short - too slow” tag should be a non-factor.

Wouldn’t Jody Owens fall under that label as well? We don’t need NFL measurements at every position to be competitive in the FCS. We do need some NFL body types to be elite but the roster can have some guys that play bigger than they are as well
No one ever said Jaharie was too short to be competitive in the FCS. In fact, its the opposite. The statement being made is that the primary reason Jaharie fell through the FBS cracks is because he is "too short, too slow" for FBS "measurables". EVERY POSTER agrees he can absolutely play at the FCS level (and likely can play at the FBS level if some school would've gave him a shot). The funny thing about this entire Jaharie discussion is that not one negative comment has been said about him and the general consensus is that our fan base is very excited about getting a kid of his character and ability from Florida. Now the discussion has turned into "some posters kind of said Jaharie is too short and slow to play at MSU (they didn't) and now I'm going to list off all the other athletes who overcame "measurable bias" to later dominate at their school."

To move the discussion forward on what the OP thread is about (QB update), we all agree that Jaharie is one of the top prospects in our 2019 signing class and we were fortunate to get him out of Florida...a state that produces elite football talent year in and year out. FBS schools are constantly trying to get an edge in recruiting so they miss on kids like Jaharie every year because of the "too short, too slow" narrative. Selflishly, I hope FBS schools continue to employ that bias because its one of the primary reasons FCS schools get talented, underrated football players like Jaharie. Now I just hope it all pans out and he becomes one of the greatest MLBs MSU has ever had.
You are overlooking one major point. The vast majority of recruiting services have Jaharie listed at 6’ or 6’1”. One poster said he is shorter and started this whole stupid debate. ESPN had 5’10” listed, but it was when Jaharie was younger and played at a different school. My point is simple: Maybe we should be a little careful about what we post about these kids, especially when it is negative.
It wasn't negative...you took it as negative.
Clearly positive for the Cats that he came to us. Not so sure the remark would be viewed as positive by Jaharie.

And couldn’t this whole discussion have been avoided if someone wasn’t speculating on his height? Because I still haven’t seen anything solid to the contrary. Quite frankly, he looks taller in the pictures we have all seen.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:50 pm

A lot of what is posted here is speculation. This whole thread has been a bunch of speculation, with a lot of opinions about a lot of things. Who really cares how tall Martin is? If he's 5' 10" as has been speculated, so what? If he really is 6' as has also been speculated, then great! The point is something about his measurables seemed to turn off FBS teams and we benefited.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:56 pm

I must admit it’s a great day on BN. Sorry not sorry.

Nothing stated was negative. It was fact. If people can’t state facts without Pussaholic or others being absolutely triggered by it, then good luck trying to have any convos here. It’s a fact he was too short and a tad bit too slow for a big FBS program. It’s also a fact that he sounds like an awesome pick up for MSU who will probably dominate and have an all big sky career.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm
utucats wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:47 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 pm
I just like knowing that while we all sit here and write what we think this young man is or isn’t going to do, he is out there busting his ass everyday to make himself that much better just to prove his own fans wrong. We should be backing this kid, not bashing him.
Who bashed him?
Not sure. I didn’t read most of the stuff. Half of it is really annoying. I was getting sick of everyone thinking they know everything about stats, what it takes to play QB, what he needs to do, what has needs to not do......everyone on here must have been amazing QB’s when they played.
Sounds about right to me. I have said the same thing before, but it won’t change anything. People don’t think they are bashing, but if you can’t say it to the players face, maybe you shouldn’t post it.
I’d call it constructive criticism, not bashing, and I have no doubt the coaching staff has pointed out everything everyone has said on here. Most of the comments regarding his weaknesses are in response to people pointing out his strengths, which naturally elicits a counterpoint. In scrimmages and games he has weaknesses that are easy to see. If he can’t correct those it won’t take long for other teams to exploit them.
Most posters here, including yourself are very good. But when armchair experts are so fixated on the weaknesses of an MSU player, I think it is a crappy approach. Take a look at an earlier post about QB performances against SDSU last year. Most other QB’s performances against SDSU last year were very similar to how Rovig fared. But only a handful of posters even acknowledged the fact that his performance was comparable to the others. Instead, many experts offered opinions on why Rovig was a subpar QB. That sucks. And all these opinions are based on two games of experience as a redshirt freshman. One of those games were against the number 5 team in the country.

Before some of you slam me for “only wanting positive stuff”, look at the 23 pages of content in this thread and tell me how much of it is positive? Shouldn’t at least 50% of the content be positive on a Bobcat forum where our team is expected to do great things next season? Case in point is Jaharie Martin. I posted earlier this year that he was going to be a beast at MSU. Then a poster turns that thread into a debate about being too short! Huh??? Kids not on campus yet and a debate starts about his listed height WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY. That sucks. That is a pure negative approach.
Are you referring to me? Only asked how we got Jaharie Martin, ("was it his height?" was all I asked) he looks to be an amazing talent that we're lucky to get at this level. If you took that as bashing a kid, your need to dialed your sensitivity knob waaaay back. Good grief!

Part of the recruiting plan at MSU (and many other FCS teams) is to find those players who are too (insert so-called flaw here) to play at the FBS level. Jody Owens was too short. DMac was too short. Kane Ioane was too slow. Junior Adams was too troubled. And on and on...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:19 pm
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I just like knowing that while we all sit here and write what we think this young man is or isn’t going to do, he is out there busting his ass everyday to make himself that much better just to prove his own fans wrong. We should be backing this kid, not bashing him.
Who bashed him?
Not sure. I didn’t read most of the stuff. Half of it is really annoying. I was getting sick of everyone thinking they know everything about stats, what it takes to play QB, what he needs to do, what has needs to not do......everyone on here must have been amazing QB’s when they played.
Sounds about right to me. I have said the same thing before, but it won’t change anything. People don’t think they are bashing, but if you can’t say it to the players face, maybe you shouldn’t post it.
I’d call it constructive criticism, not bashing, and I have no doubt the coaching staff has pointed out everything everyone has said on here. Most of the comments regarding his weaknesses are in response to people pointing out his strengths, which naturally elicits a counterpoint. In scrimmages and games he has weaknesses that are easy to see. If he can’t correct those it won’t take long for other teams to exploit them.
Most posters here, including yourself are very good. But when armchair experts are so fixated on the weaknesses of an MSU player, I think it is a crappy approach. Take a look at an earlier post about QB performances against SDSU last year. Most other QB’s performances against SDSU last year were very similar to how Rovig fared. But only a handful of posters even acknowledged the fact that his performance was comparable to the others. Instead, many experts offered opinions on why Rovig was a subpar QB. That sucks. And all these opinions are based on two games of experience as a redshirt freshman. One of those games were against the number 5 team in the country.

Before some of you slam me for “only wanting positive stuff”, look at the 23 pages of content in this thread and tell me how much of it is positive? Shouldn’t at least 50% of the content be positive on a Bobcat forum where our team is expected to do great things next season? Case in point is Jaharie Martin. I posted earlier this year that he was going to be a beast at MSU. Then a poster turns that thread into a debate about being too short! Huh??? Kids not on campus yet and a debate starts about his listed height WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY. That sucks. That is a pure negative approach.
Are you referring to me? Only asked how we got Jaharie Martin, ("was it his height?" was all I asked) he looks to be an amazing talent that we're lucky to get at this level. If you took that as bashing a kid, your need to dialed your sensitivity knob waaaay back. Good grief!

Part of the recruiting plan at MSU (and many other FCS teams) is to find those players who are too (insert so-called flaw here) to play at the FBS level. Jody Owens was too short. DMac was too short. Kane Ioane was too slow. Junior Adams was too troubled. And on and on...
Not you. It was Bobcat99. He started all the speculation months ago when he contested that websites listing Jaharie as 6’0” or 6’1” were wrong. Don’t you remember when he claimed Denarius must have been hunched over in the recruiting making Jaharie look taller 😳

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:38 pm

This is hilarious. Personally I am much taller in the morning then in the evening. Maybe the prime prospect just woke up. He's really going to need to learn to be up and in the gym by 4am if he's going to succeed as a Bobcat! !!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:48 pm

I self identify as a 6'7" qb with a rocket arm, good judgement, moral character and 18 years old that runs a 4.3 40. I'm upset they did not recruit me. It must be because somebody said I was old, fat, and slow.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:52 pm

allcat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:48 pm
I self identify as a 6'7" qb with a rocket arm, good judgement, moral character and 18 years old that runs a 4.3 40. I'm upset they did not recruit me. It must be because somebody said I was old, fat, and slow.
Obviously you were to tall to play FBS.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:52 pm
allcat wrote:
Obviously you were to tall to play FBS.
I could be flexible on that point.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:08 pm

allcat wrote:
What are the chances but we have the exact same measurables. I actually was heavily recruited but someone on Bobcat Nation pissed me off by suggesting I was a 1/2 inch shorter than I really was so I decided to just drink Rum instead of being an All American.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?

Not you. It was Bobcat99. He started all the speculation months ago when he contested that websites listing Jaharie as 6’0” or 6’1” were wrong. Don’t you remember when he claimed Denarius must have been hunched over in the recruiting making Jaharie look taller 😳
Based off of official measurements from a camp.

I've learned over the years that listed height/weight/speeds are fickle beasts. If all of them were correct, everybody at the NFL combine would be running a 4.40.

When available, I always take official measurements. You are making this into a big deal, when it is not one at all. You tried to make it look like I was being negative, and everybody has pretty much told you you're wrong on that. I've personally said it's true that he could have grown since he got measured, and I have no idea how tall he is and I don't really care! I'm just glad he's here. Now get over yourself and move the **** on. You argue little things like my kids do. Damn man.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:55 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm
Cataholic wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?

I've learned over the years that listed height/weight/speeds are fickle beasts. If all of them were correct, everybody at the NFL combine would be running a 4.40.

When available, I always take official measurements. You are making this into a big deal, when it is not one at all. You tried to make it look like I was being negative, and everybody has pretty much told you you're wrong on that. I've personally said it's true that he could have grown since he got measured, and I have no idea how tall he is and I don't really care! I'm just glad he's here. Now get over yourself and move the **** on. You argue little things like my kids do. Damn man.
Except you regularly make ****** up and pass yourself as an expert. What camp are you referring to? Give us the link and I will move on.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:55 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Who bashed him?

Except you regularly make ****** up and pass yourself as an expert. What camp are you referring to? Give us the link and I will move on.
I was referring to an Orlando combine that was from 2017. Older, but official. It was what was listed on ESPN.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Dk35w_4GI6

I know that link is all sorts of screwy, and I can't figure out why, but it's a pretty awesome database. Anyways, you can search his name and find him. 5'10 231 with a 6'3 wingspan. Dudes got long arms, which will help a lot. That's from 2018, obviously, from the title. Will that do? If the link doesn't work, Google 2018 all American games combine results.

Fwiw, I've never made a thing up here. I will speculate, and I get things wrong, but I always say when I'm speculating and I have never once made anything up.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Who bashed him?

I was referring to an Orlando combine that was from 2017. Older, but official. It was what was listed on ESPN.

I know that link is all sorts of screwy, and I can't figure out why, but it's a pretty awesome database. Anyways, you can search his name and find him. 5'10 231 with a 6'3 wingspan. Dudes got long arms, which will help a lot. That's from 2018, obviously, from the title. Will that do? If the link doesn't work, Google 2018 all American games combine results.

Fwiw, I've never made a thing up here. I will speculate, and I get things wrong, but I always say when I'm speculating and I have never once made anything up.
Orlando Combine in 2017 when he was a sophomore at Lake Gibson High. Yet you vehemently argued he was 5’10” just a couple of months ago. Flat out told people they are dumb. And here we are months later still debating height... that sucks.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

Orlando Combine in 2017 when he was a sophomore at Lake Gibson High. Yet you vehemently argued he was 5’10” just a couple of months ago. Flat out told people they are dumb. And here we are months later still debating height... that sucks.
If you can find yourself capable of reading, you'll see the one I linked was from 2018. Two camps, two years, same measurement. The 2017 camp was summer before JR year, 2018 camp summer before SR year. Like I said, he could've grown, idk, I'm just going by the official measurements that I have found.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

If you can find yourself capable of reading, you'll see the one I linked was from 2018. Two camps, two years, same measurement. The 2017 camp was summer before JR year, 2018 camp summer before SR year. Like I said, he could've grown, idk, I'm just going by the official measurements that I have found.
Hey genius. Just going off your post above that says 2017 Orlando Combine.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 pm

I think we need to create a whine shed.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Bud. I talked about the 2017 and 2018 camps in the same post. Two years of the same measurement. I linked it, I proved it, you said you would move on but you're still here. Take the loss.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 pm
I think we need to create a wine shed.
Could we get a whiskey shed too?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 pm