QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

QB Update

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

What are people hearing on our QB situation?

1. Is Murray involved in Spring practice?

2. How is Rovig's foot healing?

3. Has Bauman bulked up and found a little more speed?

4. Can Beltran break through and pass the others?


I think all four offer something different. I also feel all four could be a solid starter depending on the philosophy. Coach Miller has a lot to work with!



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: QB Update

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am
What are people hearing on our QB situation?

1. Is Murray involved in Spring practice?

2. How is Rovig's foot healing?

3. Has Bauman bulked up and found a little more speed?

4. Can Beltran break through and pass the others?


I think all four offer something different. I also feel all four could be a solid starter depending on the philosophy. Coach Miller has a lot to work with!
Rovig is leader in the clubhouse. Foot is fine. Bauman will push him. Beltran is #3. Murray is focusing on school and working out with the team only. I don't think he will participate in practices this spring. His time will come after his grades are posted this spring.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6240
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: QB Update

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!


Image

gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4083
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: QB Update

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: QB Update

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Image


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2128
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: QB Update

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Image
I thought Troy had that covered. Can you have two on your team? Capes getting tangled up and all.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7578
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: QB Update

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Image
2 on one team?


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: QB Update

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Gary, that's simply not true.

Many, many, many players have added weight and speed.



gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4083
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: QB Update

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Gary, that's simply not true.

Many, many, many players have added weight and speed.
Actually very few have accomplished this task. Maybe if they gain 5 lbs or less. Besides we are talking about Bauman here not Anderson. He was already not the fastest guy. Now you take a 230 lbs. QBand add weight????


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: QB Update

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?
Gary, that's simply not true.

Many, many, many players have added weight and speed.
Actually very few have accomplished this task. Maybe if they gain 5 lbs or less. Besides we are talking about Bauman here not Anderson. He was already not the fastest guy. Now you take a 230 lbs. QBand add weight????
The vast majority of NFL players have gained weight and increased speed from HS to the combine. The testing numbers are out there, go ahead and look.



superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: QB Update

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 pm

My thought was I don't see any way around the fact that as he lifts and matures, he is going to be a BIG BOY. I hope foot speed and mobility come with the growth. I kind of see a Ben Rothlisburger type player.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: QB Update

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

The old saying of getting bigger, stronger, and faster has now been changed to bigger, stronger, or faster.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
94VegasCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3298
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: Front row seat to the dumpster fire!

Re: QB Update

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.


My wife teases me about my man crush on Choate.

User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: QB Update

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm

You know it's been too long since the season ended when a thread goes off the rails this fast.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12859
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: QB Update

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:21 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am
What are people hearing on our QB situation?

1. Is Murray involved in Spring practice?

2. How is Rovig's foot healing?

3. Has Bauman bulked up and found a little more speed?

4. Can Beltran break through and pass the others?


I think all four offer something different. I also feel all four could be a solid starter depending on the philosophy. Coach Miller has a lot to work with!
I thought you said update. Should be QB questions


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Norsky19
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 am

Re: QB Update

Post by Norsky19 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

https://uk.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... tion-speed

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: QB Update

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

https://uk.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... tion-speed

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)
So what you're saying is now that I gained a hundred pounds I should be able to run a hundred-yard dash in under 10 seconds,? Cool, to bad I used up all of my eligibility or I'd be a badass on the field now.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: QB Update

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Ha ha MTbob if only it were that easy. :lol: I don't know you but highly doubt that you gained those 100 pounds from the right training program.



User avatar
94VegasCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3298
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: Front row seat to the dumpster fire!

Re: QB Update

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

https://uk.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... tion-speed

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)
What’s the average distance it takes an elite athletes to get to full speed? If it’s ‘burst’ that’s increasing, the 40 time is getting better albeit small increments (if I’m reading correctly). Troy Anderson it appears, hits max speed within a few strides. Chris Murray appears as such too. Not saying they are elite runners but damn impressive by Big Sky Conference standards.


My wife teases me about my man crush on Choate.

User avatar
CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: QB Update

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 am

Train by running at a decline and I guarantee you'll get faster.


Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Post Reply