Spring ball '19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring ball '19

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:48 pm

None of this quarterback stuff matters until fall camp or even the first game. How many times in the past has the quarterback position not been decided until then? This will work itself out. Heck, Tom Brady (I know, the pros are different) didn’t win the starting position at the beginning of his first super bowl championship season. Someone will rise up.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:48 pm
None of this quarterback stuff matters until fall camp or even the first game. How many times in the past has the quarterback position not been decided until then? This will work itself out. Heck, Tom Brady (I know, the pros are different) didn’t win the starting position at the beginning of his first super bowl championship season. Someone will rise up. A
Good post. Just look at recent history at MSU. Murray took over for Bruggman; McGhee took over for Kempt; Rolovich took over for Carpenter; Lulay took over for Thomas. Prukop is the only one to win it outright (not until fall) and he left early. There’s just not much correlation there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
None of this quarterback stuff matters until fall camp or even the first game. How many times in the past has the quarterback position not been decided until then? This will work itself out. Heck, Tom Brady (I know, the pros are different) didn’t win the starting position at the beginning of his first super bowl championship season. Someone will rise up. A
Good post. Just look at recent history at MSU. Murray took over for Bruggman; McGhee took over for Kempt; Rolovich took over for Carpenter; Lulay took over for Thomas. Prukop is the only one to win it outright (not until fall) and he left early. There’s just not much correlation there.
True, but once you got a horse to ride, ride em. Choate has shown the conviction/stubbornness to do that very thing. Once you are anointed the QB, there can not really be any question that you have the offense to run week to week unless you just blow up.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:29 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 am
TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
True, but once you got a horse to ride, ride em. Choate has shown the conviction/stubbornness to do that very thing. Once you are anointed the QB, there can not really be any question that you have the offense to run week to week unless you just blow up.
Isn’t that what has happened? Or am I missing your point?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am

seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm
seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm
seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm
I'd like to see Rovig or Bauman at QB.
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.
I'm amazed your mom had any children that lived.
I think Choate will give Rovig and Bauman ever opportunity to win the starting job. He wants Rovig to be the guy for sure. However, when push comes to shove and you need to win games Chris Murray will be the player taking snaps.
The last time Murray played, he made us one dimensional. So unless he spent more time on passes than passing classes, he will still be one read, one dimensional in the passing game. But he will make an awesome RB that can threaten to pass the ball. I said that over two years ago and i'll say it again.
Not true at all. He made lots of progress in the passing game.
Wow.. 52% and 145 yards a game 🤔🤔🤔🤔. He had over 100 yards rushing.
So what has Rovig done against similar competition? Why do you just assume that Rovig will do better?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /401030155
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /400950845

I say this as someone that is pulling hard for both guys but to say that Chris is incapable of throwing the ball is crap. If he had got to start halfway through his redshirt sophomore year, maybe he would have looked a bit more polished.

In the end, I think this team needs Rovig to be THE GUY. We have too many weapons to have Murray or Andersen in the backfield, no matter how dynamic that one player is.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:43 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm
41B1 ????????????????????

For one, be one. Kinda a three musketeers spin.
Montana 41st State in the Union B1. Appears that a new tradition has started if you look closely to the Instagram photos the only ones wearing the 41B1 are Montana boys.

And it also shows that Brayden Konkol has a new number of 41. \:D/ \:D/
Last edited by 2-B-Champ on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 am
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Montana 41th State in the Union B1. Appears that a new tradition has started if you look closely to the Instagram photos the only ones wearing the 41B1 are Montana boys.

41th? How about 41st?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Montana 41th State in the Union B1. Appears that a new tradition has started if you look closely to the Instagram photos the only ones wearing the 41B1 are Montana boys.

What is the B1 in reference to? I've never heard that before?

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 am
2-B-Champ wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Native Montana Boy playing for Montana State B1

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:20 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am
seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm
seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm
seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm
I'd like to see Rovig or Bauman at QB.
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.
I'm amazed your mom had any children that lived.
I think Choate will give Rovig and Bauman ever opportunity to win the starting job. He wants Rovig to be the guy for sure. However, when push comes to shove and you need to win games Chris Murray will be the player taking snaps.
The last time Murray played, he made us one dimensional. So unless he spent more time on passes than passing classes, he will still be one read, one dimensional in the passing game. But he will make an awesome RB that can threaten to pass the ball. I said that over two years ago and i'll say it again.
Not true at all. He made lots of progress in the passing game.
Wow.. 52% and 145 yards a game 🤔🤔🤔🤔. He had over 100 yards rushing.
So what has Rovig done against similar competition? Why do you just assume that Rovig will do better?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /401030155
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /400950845

I say this as someone that is pulling hard for both guys but to say that Chris is incapable of throwing the ball is crap. If he had got to start halfway through his redshirt sophomore year, maybe he would have looked a bit more polished.

In the end, I think this team needs Rovig to be THE GUY. We have too many weapons to have Murray or Andersen in the backfield, no matter how dynamic that one player is.
Murray was improving and was throwing the ball well at the end of his true sophomore season. If he’s throwing it as well now as he was then, then I think the combination of his passing+running is going to be hard to beat. We shall see. A long way to go before August 31.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I think it means if we’re all “for one” (4-1), then we’ll “be one” (B-1).

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msufaithful » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:28 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 am
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

it' an Offensive productivity sticker for producing at practice “for one be one”
But Braydon will be wearing 41 this year.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

I suppose all this talk about who the starting QB will be is normal for any team that does not have a returning starter, however I think the biggest ? of the 2019 team is their defense. I say this because no matter how the QB battle plays out there is reason for optimism. Defensively we have a new DC and have 4 seniors (Yates, Collins, Fa’Anono, Wright) of our front 7 starters to replace as players & leaders, plus James Williams our NT/DT who left the team.

I say there is reason for optimism regarding the QB position because of 3 main reasons;
1) Last year after 5 games the staff decided that Rovig would be the starter over TA. Because of a season ending injury during practice that week Rovig never got the chance to be the designated starter. His previous starts he performed well in but he got those opportunities due to TA’s injury. Nonetheless he performed well and had won the job over a teammate who went on to be a unanimous all-conference pick at QB. That tells you a lot.
2) Now if Bauman beats out Rovig, that may be even better because IF Bauman beats out Rovig, then our QB will be a step above a QB who beat out a unanimous all-conference QB. Better yet you'd think.
3) Similarly, if CM makes the team and beats out both Rovig & Bauman it just gets better. Remember in CM’s last 10 conference games he is 7-3 (a little bit of cherry picking there).

So, in the end the CATS will end up with either a QB who had beaten out the future unanimous all-conference QB, or a QB who will have beaten out the QB who beat out the all-conference QB. Not too much of a down side there.

However, for the reasons I stated above there is reason for concern on defensive. I am cautiously optimistic about KI’s return but his first try at DC didn’t work out so well. Although he was in a much different situation then than he is in now. The reason my concern is only moderate is the fact that with Coach Choate’s defensive knowledge, Choate's knowledge of KI from Choate's first year here, and his knowledge & relationship with the staff at UW and the ‘feedback’ he must have got from them before hiring KI as DC are all reasons for optimism that should be weighed against the reasons for concern.

In the end, I think there is more reason for concern on defense than on offense. Speculating in the off-season is what fans do, but I try and keep it in perspective. If memory serves me correctly, last year at this time I don’t think we were talking about the chances of our apparent starting LB becoming our QB let alone an all-conference QB.

With that I’ll leave you with 2 Yoda quotes; “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future…”, &, “Patience you must have”.

GO CATS!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:29 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 am
TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Isn’t that what has happened? Or am I missing your point?
No, you are correct.My point was once you go with a guy, stay with a guy. He has, even when it was questionable ( after the Wagner game ) but the point is, no waffling now once you go with your guy! Let the chips fall where they may. We will likely lose 1 or 2 Qb's on this years decision, so you better be confident in your call.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:26 am

Who was that? I saw that on the Instagram feed a few days ago.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:26 am
Who was that? I saw that on the Instagram feed a few days ago.
Hardy I believe.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:22 am

Anyone know if the game will be streamed? I'm out of state and don't get SWX....maybe Pluto?

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:36 am

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm
Much like NDSU who he mentions ALL the time, run the ball, smash mouth to set up the pass. NDSU has athletic QBS but nothing like Chris or TA and I have a feeling that’s where Choate ultimately wants our identity to be.
This is true. But I would argue that NDSU's QB Easton Stick was actually very athletic & very tough. He was certainly a dual threat QB. He was also very underrated in my opinion, despite being well-thought of overall. This is exactly the kind of kid Choate wants at QB. TA & CM are both very similar to Stick in fact, and NDSU ran quite few run/option offensive plays under Stick in his career.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:48 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

In the end, I think there is more reason for concern on defense than on offense. Speculating in the off-season is what fans do, but I try and keep it in perspective. If memory serves me correctly, last year at this time I don’t think we were talking about the chances of our apparent starting LB becoming our QB let alone an all-conference QB.
Great post. I agree 100%. KI as our new DC is a huge concern for me & our biggest question mark going into next year I believe. I've already been slandered & attacked on this board for stating this. But I'd be lying if I said losing TG & replacing him with KI is going to end well.