Spring ball '19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Spring ball '19

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm

I'd like to see Rovig or Bauman at QB.
Rotate in at RB - Andersen, Beltran, Murray, Jenson ---- oh the run/pass options this would free up.
Steady dose of the other running backs emphasis on popping Ifanse and the others up the middle or on a counter.
And the DB from the JC as a blocking fullback.
When Jenson and Andersen on the WR spot, fly like the wind an run under the touchdown pass.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Jonsen was second in receiving, third in rushing. Had the best QB rating. 14 catches 185 yards over last three games. 13-105 the previous 10 games.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm
Rotate in at RB - Andersen, Beltran, Murray, Jenson ---- oh the run/pass options this would free up.
Steady dose of the other running backs emphasis on popping Ifanse and the others up the middle or on a counter.
When Jenson and Andersen on the WR spot, fly like the wind an run under the touchdown pass.
You mean the DL from the JC?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:18 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Amandre Williams from UDub.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:18 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Amandre Williams from UDub.
Yup, DE not DB.... Amandre threw for 3200 yards...… just saying, another option to really mess with defenses.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:09 pm

95bcfb wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:43 pm
Darth Yoda wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 am
Jonsen is the Cat's best chance of having a guy in this senior class playing on Sundays IMO. He will be Rovig's go-to clutch guy, and I predict multiple 100 yard games. In about week 6, we will be starting to track the single season records for a WR.

And, yes, I also think it will Rovig. I'm looking for a rock solid performance this Saturday.
I don't know about his chances to play on Sunday - you could be right, I just haven't seen enough to know - but I do agree with you about him being a big-time target for us. He got progressively better as the season went on and I think that he will continue that. He reminds me a lot of Elvis Akpla. He was super raw when he got here and dropped like everything but by the time he was a senior he was unstoppable. Jonsen has a lot of the same skills that Elvis had. He just needs someone that can get him the ball. I don't know who will start at QB, but I don't think it will be Murray. Murray will have a roll in this offence for sure but I think he is too one dimensional to be our QB going forward in my opinion. I see him being used like Jonsen was last year only with more reps. I think we will have a QB that can pass and make good decisions this year. I think that Rovig has a head start but I wouldn't sleep no the other two either. Just my two cents. If Murray wins the job I will be happy to watch him. I love the fact that Murray hasn't given up and continues to compete. I also like the fact that the coaches are holding him accountable and giving him a chance to prove himself. Saturday should be very interesting.
How good an athlete is Travis Jonsen? He's a WAY better athlete than Elvis Akpla. He might not be able to long jump 24+ feet like Elvis did at Oregon. But Jonsen is bigger, stronger, faster, more fluid, more explosive...everything. Like I said on our ESPN show, he's one of the best athletes I've ever seen in person in terms of his natural physical gifts.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 pm

This team has a ton of weapons this season. Now if we can just put it all together

Punters are people too!!

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Montanabob wrote:
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm
Montanabob wrote:
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.
If that were true he never would have recruited Bruggman to start or planned on replacing TA with Rovig mid year last year. He also would have never recruited Bauman or Rovig for that matter. Choate did not recruit Murray, Ash did. Choate also recruited TA to play LB. Actually it seems the opposite of what you posted. Choate does not want a dual threat QB, just one who can move enough not to be Peyton Manning back there.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

You are questioning people’s ability on this board to understand Choate’s intent on offense? Heck, based on your recent posts, I question whether you even watch Bobcat football.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 pm

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:51 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

:lol: =D^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 am

FTG_1984 wrote:

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally.

You say all this knowing that Jonsen was selected a team captain and Murray not playing full time due to grades?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I'm amazed your mom had any children that lived.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I'm amazed your mom had any children that lived.
I think Choate will give Rovig and Bauman ever opportunity to win the starting job. He wants Rovig to be the guy for sure. However, when push comes to shove and you need to win games Chris Murray will be the player taking snaps.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:06 am

The opportunity to choose your qb based on the in game circumstances provides valuable optionality. MM will be able to dictate defenses with his choices and then exploit them. It is not necessarily an either/or situation.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:04 am

I listened to the interviews with Coach Choate that Colter posted and these were my take-aways;

• Coach Choate is looking for a QB who can create explosiveness, which he went on to describe as push/stretch the field
• Amandre Williams, the transfer player from the U of Washington that typically plays LB or DE, is more versatile than Bryce Sterk, and will have a roll on the offense. SAY WHAT????
• Confirmed that TA will get some touches on offense when we need a spark.
• Travis Jonsen is a team captain.
• Jabari Johnson may play this upcoming season…..decision by June 1st. THIS WOULD BE BIG!
• Josh Hill may not be medically/physically ready to play this season.
• He didn’t talk a lot about the QB battle, mostly because Mother Nature hasn’t allowed opportunity to evaluate them.
• Spring Game on SWX television from 2-4 SA April 6th.

If I had to bet on who would be the starting QB next season I do not know who I’d bet on, and I don’t know if Coach Choate or Coach Miller would know who they’d bet on either. Certainly, if Rovig or Bauman are the QB the threat of running is way less than if Chris Murray is QB (if he’s on the team come fall) or last year when TA was QB, or even if Beltran is QB.

It’s as if the staff has two decisions they need to make regarding QB, not only who we want at QB but first is do we want a QB who is more of a pocket passer/pro-style offense (Rovig or Bauman), OR, do we want a QB who is a threat to break a long run every time he touches the ball (Murray or TA??). It is my understanding that Beltran is somewhere in the middle.

If I had to guess I’d go with pocket passer/pro-style offense for 2 reasons….1st; I think both Rovig & Bauman can push/stretch the field better, and 2nd; when Matt Miller was at Boise State, Kellen Moore was not a threat to run at all…in fact in each of his 4 seasons he had negative rushing yards. So that is the style of offense which he (MM) knows best. We shall see.

There is an outside chance I’ll be able to make the scrimmage and am looking forward to it and the 2019 season. GO CATS!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 am

I think the OL is experienced enough, and big enough, to protect a pocket QB.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Rovig is no Andersen/Murray obviously but he can run the ball in a pinch. I don't expect any of those 3rd and 24 touchdowns but he could definitely scramble from time to time for first downs and to keep the defense honest.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 pm

I just hope the actual qb battle is as intense as this discussion.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic