Spring ball '19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring ball '19

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:36 am
RobertCats wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm
Much like NDSU who he mentions ALL the time, run the ball, smash mouth to set up the pass. NDSU has athletic QBS but nothing like Chris or TA and I have a feeling that’s where Choate ultimately wants our identity to be.
This is true. But I would argue that NDSU's QB Easton Stick was actually very athletic & very tough. He was certainly a dual threat QB. He was also very underrated in my opinion, despite being well-thought of overall. This is exactly the kind of kid Choate wants at QB. TA & CM are both very similar to Stick in fact, and NDSU ran quite few run/option offensive plays under Stick in his career.
Neither TA or Murray is comparable to Stick. Stick runs when he is supposed to and passes when he is supposed to. He is a pass 1st QB with the ability to make plays with his legs. Stick ran for 775 and threw for 2800 in 15 games last year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:48 am
Great post. I agree 100%. KI as our new DC is a huge concern for me & our biggest question mark going into next year I believe. I've already been slandered & attacked on this board for stating this. But I'd be lying if I said losing TG & replacing him with KI is going to end well.
The guy who libeled Travis Jonsen by calling him “not very physically and mentally tough” is now playing the victim. Again, if what you say is true, why was Travis named a captain?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Much like NDSU who he mentions ALL the time, run the ball, smash mouth to set up the pass. NDSU has athletic QBS but nothing like Chris or TA and I have a feeling that’s where Choate ultimately wants our identity to be.
This is true. But I would argue that NDSU's QB Easton Stick was actually very athletic & very tough. He was certainly a dual threat QB. He was also very underrated in my opinion, despite being well-thought of overall. This is exactly the kind of kid Choate wants at QB. TA & CM are both very similar to Stick in fact, and NDSU ran quite few run/option offensive plays under Stick in his career.
Neither TA or Murray is comparable to Stick. Stick runs when he is supposed to and passes when he is supposed to. He is a pass 1st QB with the ability to make plays with his legs. Stick ran for 775 and threw for 2800 in 15 games last year.
Yeah I have a tough time seeing the similarities with Stick and CM/TA. I agree that Stick was underrated when running the ball and is more athletic than people give him credit for. But he had much more talent throwing the ball. I am sure that Choate would take someone like Stick 10 times out of 10, but those QBs don’t grow on trees and the best dual threat QBs go FBS.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Prepare to be wrong. KI will blow the doors off TG in every aspect of the defense, especially getting off the field on third down.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Kevin Kassis looks like a bodybuilder :shock:

Coach looks like he has a knee brace on and he's limping #-o

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Didn't get to go today and we are out of SWX area.....
Oh well, waiting for the replay.
Pluto showing 2 Montana State football games from last fall. The I-da-Who and um.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

In the end, I think there is more reason for concern on defense than on offense. Speculating in the off-season is what fans do, but I try and keep it in perspective. If memory serves me correctly, last year at this time I don’t think we were talking about the chances of our apparent starting LB becoming our QB let alone an all-conference QB.
Great post. I agree 100%. KI as our new DC is a huge concern for me & our biggest question mark going into next year I believe. I've already been slandered & attacked on this board for stating this. But I'd be lying if I said losing TG & replacing him with KI is going to end well.
Very excited to have Kane back. Huge upgrade over TG.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:56 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

In the end, I think there is more reason for concern on defense than on offense. Speculating in the off-season is what fans do, but I try and keep it in perspective. If memory serves me correctly, last year at this time I don’t think we were talking about the chances of our apparent starting LB becoming our QB let alone an all-conference QB.
Very excited to have Kane back. Huge upgrade over TG.
Why don't we give it a year or two before we say these things?

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 pm

Because for those of us there in person, the difference was obvious. Significantly different looks and much more enthusiasm on defense. Kane learned the difference between good and great while he was away.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Costello said an announcement on end zone complex and academic center will be "hopefully soon" and getting "really close" on funding.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm
Costello said an announcement on end zone complex and academic center will be "hopefully soon" and getting "really close" on funding.
Did he mention that at the scrimmage? I figured something would be announced in early May. I made the mistake of following the weather report and didn’t dress as warm as I should have for the scrimmage. I left the stadium after about an hour and fifteen minutes due to the wind and cold.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Did he mention that at the scrimmage? I figured something would be announced in early May. I made the mistake of following the weather report and didn’t dress as warm as I should have for the scrimmage. I left the stadium after about an hour and fifteen minutes due to the wind and cold.
Yes. An interview on TV during the scrimmage.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
It’s still a ways away. We are about 6 million and some change away from hitting the mark to start building.

If your left, you aren’t right.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Yeah I have a tough time seeing the similarities with Stick and CM/TA. I agree that Stick was underrated when running the ball and is more athletic than people give him credit for. But he had much more talent throwing the ball. I am sure that Choate would take someone like Stick 10 times out of 10, but those QBs don’t grow on trees and the best dual threat QBs go FBS.
Stick's "talent throwing the ball" was a direct function of NDSU's dominant run game behind their dominant O-line that forced defenses to focus on the run, thereby setting up easy pass plays for NDSU. Stick is not any more talented throwing the ball the CM or TA, although he did work on his game to become very accurate & efficient as a thrower. I would say CM actually has a lot better arm than Stick though.

What Choate wants is an NDSU-style run game, not necessarily a QB like Stick. Both TA & CM are better athletes than Stick, and both would be devastating behind an NDSU-style O-line.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:20 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
The guy who libeled Travis Jonsen by calling him “not very physically and mentally tough” is now playing the victim. Again, if what you say is true, why was Travis named a captain?
Because despite not being very physically or mentally tough, he is still one of our best players & is obviously respected by his teammates. I believe the teammates are the ones who vote for captains, so this wouldn't be a Choate decision I don't believe.

Also, this is not to say that Jonsen can't develop more mental & physical toughness over time. I hope this is this case actually. It's just like anything - players can get better & improve in many areas through hard work & good coaching. My only point in the previous post on Jonsen was that as of last year he was not physically or mentally tough enough to be our starting QB.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Incorrect. Stick & TA/CM are actually very comparable. The main difference is Stick had a dominant O-line in front of him that allowed NDSU to function as a power-style, run-first offense. TA & CM have never had that luxury yet.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 am
RobertCats wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Stick's "talent throwing the ball" was a direct function of NDSU's dominant run game behind their dominant O-line that forced defenses to focus on the run, thereby setting up easy pass plays for NDSU. Stick is not any more talented throwing the ball the CM or TA, although he did work on his game to become very accurate & efficient as a thrower. I would say CM actually has a lot better arm than Stick though.

What Choate wants is an NDSU-style run game, not necessarily a QB like Stick. Both TA & CM are better athletes than Stick, and both would be devastating behind an NDSU-style O-line.
I can respect your opinion and agree it is easier playing QB behind an OL like NDSU, but we will have to agree to disagree as Stick is positioned to be drafted in the NFL at QB and I don’t believe we will at any point in the near future (notice I said AT QB). But if I’m wrong and CM ends up being just as productive as Stick I will never be happier to be wrong in my life.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Incorrect. Stick & TA/CM are actually very comparable. The main difference is Stick had a dominant O-line in front of him that allowed NDSU to function as a power-style, run-first offense. TA & CM have never had that luxury yet.
It doesn't matter how many times you make the claim, it is completely wrong. Start off by looking up the qb ratings and you'll see Stick is 50 pts higher. Saying Andersen or Murray are comparable to the ability of Stick AT the qb position is just silly. I'm not knocking Andersen or Murray who are great athletes, just stating a fact.

Further, MSU HAS BEEN a power run team with a poor passing threat for 3 years. Our qbs have been a big part of our running offense because running is primarily the only way MSU could effectively move the ball. But the lack of a legitimate passing threat has allowed opposing teams to load the box and concentrate on stopping the run. A one dimensional offense is much easier to defend.

Murray may start only if he has made a good deal of progress in his passing game both in accuracy and making the correct reads or if the other qbs are a bust and we have no passing game regardless of who is at qb. MSU has too much speed, athleticism, and talent at receiver to not efficiently get them the ball. If that happens next year, the run game will benefit greatly because defenses can't focus solely on stopping it.

And please quit dissing on Jonsen. I think if we have the ability of distributing the ball effectively, Jonsen may prove to be one of the most electric players in the conference.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 am

What exactly makes you think Jonsen is physically and mentally not tough? Do you think a team full of players with Choate’s culture fully implemented would elect a player who isn’t tough?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:32 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Do you read these statements out loud before you hit post?

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0