Spring ball '19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring ball '19

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:10 pm

FWIW: Rovig looks good statistically when you compare his game vs Wagner to other Big Sky QBs vs similar teams.

Gubrud vs CWU 19-23-0, 337, 5...277.4
Gueller vs Western St. 17-27-1, 213, 1...134.0
Sneed vs Drake 31-47-0, 278, 2...129.7
Rovig vs Wagner 23-34-0, 310, 3...173.4
Maier vs San Diego 24-48-0, 302,1...109.7

Second best QB rating.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm

41B1 ????????????????????

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:10 pm
FWIW: Rovig looks good statistically when you compare his game vs Wagner to other Big Sky QBs vs similar teams.

Second best QB rating.
I don't think it's fair how much Rovig gets beat up for what he did in two games last year. He should get more credit for the Wagner game and the SDSU game shouldn't hurt him so bad. It's one of the best teams in the country and he was playing his first college game against them. I thought his performance was fine--not great, but not awful either. Pretty understandable that a kid playing in his first college game would have some struggles against them. I don't see any reason why he's not ready to play and play well in 2019. With a bad spring in 2018 he still came out and did fine in his two games. Now with what seems to be a good spring under his belt, a season of studying and getting to know the players and the system, and a year of maturing (one of the most significant years of physical maturation for male athletes), I think he's going to surprise some people. I don't know who will start in 2019 so I'm not going to guess, but I will say that if Rovig doesn't start it's because somebody else looks REALLY good.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Second best QB rating.
I don't think it's fair how much Rovig gets beat up for what he did in two games last year. He should get more credit for the Wagner game and the SDSU game shouldn't hurt him so bad. It's one of the best teams in the country and he was playing his first college game against them. I thought his performance was fine--not great, but not awful either. Pretty understandable that a kid playing in his first college game would have some struggles against them. I don't see any reason why he's not ready to play and play well in 2019. With a bad spring in 2018 he still came out and did fine in his two games. Now with what seems to be a good spring under his belt, a season of studying and getting to know the players and the system, and a year of maturing (one of the most significant years of physical maturation for male athletes), I think he's going to surprise some people. I don't know who will start in 2019 so I'm not going to guess, but I will say that if Rovig doesn't start it's because somebody else looks REALLY good.
Choate has made it pretty clear that the starting QB will be the one that wins the huddle, i.e. who commands respect from team mates. TR, RB, CM, TA, New JC guy, whotever.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:43 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm
41B1 ????????????????????

For one, be one. Kinda a three musketeers spin.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:49 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm
I'd like to see Rovig or Bauman at QB.
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.
If that were true he never would have recruited Bruggman to start or planned on replacing TA with Rovig mid year last year. He also would have never recruited Bauman or Rovig for that matter. Choate did not recruit Murray, Ash did. Choate also recruited TA to play LB. Actually it seems the opposite of what you posted. Choate does not want a dual threat QB, just one who can move enough not to be Peyton Manning back there.
Great Post!

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:14 pm

I think someone touched on this already; the offensive line should give the Cats the ability to do many things on offense. The QB is anyone's guess right now. I favor Rovig, but we'll all know a little more on Saturday. Any guesses for breakout performer or someone that may surprise people this fall? No picking Jonsen or the new DE; that's probably cheating! There could be many players; I like Chad Kanow somewhere in there!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm

seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
I'm continually amazed at this board's inability to understand what Choate has implemented on offense. Many board members do not understand how critical it is to having a dual threat QB in the run-pass option strategy we've employed since Choate's arrival. I don't see us veering away from this anytime soon, meaning you'll never see Rovig or Bauman as the starting QB. If TA has indeed moved to D as we're being told, then it's Murray at QB this Fall. And if it's not Murray due to academic reasons again, it'll be Beltran as the front-runner.

Jonsen is probably the best all around athlete on the team, but is not very physically or mentally tough. That is why he's primarily a WR for us. Choate is big on toughness, both physically & mentally. You will not see a starting QB under Choate who is not mentally tough, I can guarantee you all that.

Say what you will about Murray, but he's a tough kid both physically & mentally.
I'm amazed your mom had any children that lived.
I think Choate will give Rovig and Bauman ever opportunity to win the starting job. He wants Rovig to be the guy for sure. However, when push comes to shove and you need to win games Chris Murray will be the player taking snaps.
The last time Murray played, he made us one dimensional. So unless he spent more time on passes than passing classes, he will still be one read, one dimensional in the passing game. But he will make an awesome RB that can threaten to pass the ball. I said that over two years ago and i'll say it again.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:30 pm

I think our OL is good, but not great. I think they got it handed to them when we went against very good defenses. They need to work on strength IMO. They will be a top 5 unit for sure but I think we need them to be top 3.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:28 pm
seataccat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I think Choate will give Rovig and Bauman ever opportunity to win the starting job. He wants Rovig to be the guy for sure. However, when push comes to shove and you need to win games Chris Murray will be the player taking snaps.
The last time Murray played, he made us one dimensional. So unless he spent more time on passes than passing classes, he will still be one read, one dimensional in the passing game. But he will make an awesome RB that can threaten to pass the ball. I said that over two years ago and i'll say it again.
Not true at all. He made lots of progress in the passing game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm

seataccat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Montanabob wrote:
seataccat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Wow.. 52% and 145 yards a game 🤔🤔🤔🤔. He had over 100 yards rushing.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I think Choate has tailored our offense to the QB out of necessity, the last few years, and not ideally what he wants. We just didn’t have the caliber of QB on the roster to surplant Chris. Now that we have some more talent and different styles of Qb I think we will get close to the more traditional offense that he desires. Much like NDSU who he mentions ALL the time, run the ball, smash mouth to set up the pass. NDSU has athletic QBS but nothing like Chris or TA and I have a feeling that’s where Choate ultimately wants our identity to be.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm
seataccat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
seataccat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Wow.. 52% and 145 yards a game 🤔🤔🤔🤔. He had over 100 yards rushing.
So what has Rovig done against similar competition? Why do you just assume that Rovig will do better?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:56 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:06 am
The opportunity to choose your qb based on the in game circumstances provides valuable optionality. MM will be able to dictate defenses with his choices and then exploit them. It is not necessarily an either/or situation.
It's a terrible idea.

Pick a QB and stick with them.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:59 pm

seataccat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
seataccat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

What? From terrible to mediocre?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:23 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:

Hmm, for some reason I'm not buying your BS about Travis Jonsen.
• Travis Jonsen is a team captain.

A "not very physically or mentally tough" captain?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:56 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
The opportunity to choose your qb based on the in game circumstances provides valuable optionality. MM will be able to dictate defenses with his choices and then exploit them. It is not necessarily an either/or situation.
It's a terrible idea.

Couldn't agree more

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
It's a terrible idea.

This times a million. Choate needs to stop this nonsense and pick a quarterback. This is a horrible look for future recruits.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
It's a terrible idea.

This times a million. Choate needs to stop this nonsense and pick a quarterback. This is a horrible look for future recruits.
What what? =; The QB Choate picked ended up a unanimous 1st team QB and led the team to a playoff win. Just like last year he'll pick the guy that owns the huddle and gives us the best chance at winning. As we've done for a long time, we are going to see packages that put other players behind center. Hell even Cody Kirk took snaps.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
It's a terrible idea.

This I don't agree with.

It's a QB competition. It is absolutely normal for teams to have them all the way until fall! We've got 3 guys battling it out to be the QB...and I don't see the problem with that? Situationally it's even fine to put a guy like Jonsen/Murray/Andersen in for some designed runs. Got no issue with that. Just not this one QB one series and the other the other series. That's bad. QB competition in the spring? That's good. Recruits are just fine with competitions.