Great comebacks: NAU 2003 vs UM 2018

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Great comebacks: NAU 2003 vs UM 2018

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:43 am

Which one was more amazing? Remove the external elements like Cat-Griz and playoff ramifications. Just focus on which one was most unlikely and had the most incredible plays.

Here’s a recap of the 2003 game to refresh your memory:

In 2003 vs No. Arizona, trailing 17-7 with just over two minutes to play Lulay led @MSUBobcatsFB on two TD drives running for both scores. The first capped a 69-yard drive from the 32 with 1:07 left. The second from the 1 with 15 seconds to go.
As I recall Lulay accounted for every yard either passing or running on both drives (about 120 yds total). MSU got the ball back on an onside kick after the first TD when the ball did a flat, barrel roll to the sideline recovered by Corey Smith.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Great comebacks: NAU 2003 vs UM 2018

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:30 am

I was at that NAU game, and we were dead in the water. That was an amazing comeback. I wonder what our ESPN win percentage would have been with 2 minutes left in that one? I can still remember clearly that barrel-rolling onside kick just hugging the ground, and Smith basically sliding like a base stealer at 10 yards and it rolling right into his jersey numbers. Crazy.
The UM game was a good comeback, but the momentum had begun to swing before half, I think. We controlled that game for much of the second half. To me, it was more notable for what happened after the comeback, with the goal line stand for the win. That was probably the better football game of the 2, but for me the NAU comeback wins hands down in that category.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:47 pm

I was at both too; they are both good wins. I'd say being down 22-0 in Missoula is not a great spot to be in. This is regardless of the team or the decade. I'd say 2018 win in Missoula. Why? The odds of the fumble by Sneed, the timeout at just the right time, and the goal-line play are unique. Most guys don't make that exact play. Go look how that ball Sneed fumbles just sits there and does not go out-of-bounds... the more improbable win was in Missoula. I don't think it is really that close...

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:47 pm
I was at both too; they are both good wins. I'd say being down 22-0 in Missoula is not a great spot to be in. This is regardless of the team or the decade. I'd say 2018 win in Missoula. Why? The odds of the fumble by Sneed, the timeout at just the right time, and the goal-line play are unique. Most guys don't make that exact play. Go look how that ball Sneed fumbles just sits there and does not go out-of-bounds... the more improbable win was in Missoula. I don't think it is really that close...
Impressive, for sure, given the stakes, the environment, etc, but I still think 17-7 own 30 with 2 minutes left, in terms of sheer improbable game to win, takes it. Down 15 at half vs down 10 with 2 to play. Kind of a meaningless argument, really, as both were phenomenal, but it's March 3 and below 0, what else we supposed to do? :shrug: 8)

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I would go with the NAU game. We started our comeback in the Cat griz game before the first half ended. There were still drives we weren’t able to finish. In the NAU game, absolutely everything had to go off according to plan. There was no room for errors or foul ups.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 am

NAU game. Let's just say that I would guess many more Bobcat fans gave up hope in the NAU game than the UM one.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast