Lulay retires

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: Lulay retires

Post by RobertCats » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 pm
John K wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:10 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:45 pm
I'll never forget the game against NAU, I think we were down 10 with a couple of minutes left in the game. Half of the crowd took off. But he led the offense to score 2 TD's to win the game. Hell of a comeback!
It wasn't even a couple of minutes left in that game. It was actually just barely a minute...I wanna say like 1:03 or something like that. And while that was his most remarkable comeback, it was actually just one of many heroic late game comebacks that he led during his career. The Weber games in both 2004 and 2005 are a couple others that come immediately to mind, but I know there were several others as well. He may or may not be the best player in Bobcat history, but he is without a doubt my favorite Bobcat ever. It's a shame that he had so many injuries the last 4-5 years, because if he could have stayed healthy, I believe he was on track to have a CFL career that would have rivaled Dave Dickenson's. It's sort of sadly ironic too, because I don't believe he ever missed a single snap due to injury during his career at MSU.
I remember one of the Weber games, I think it was homecoming?
Yeah it was homecoming 2004. I was on the sideline gripping for photographer uncle. We were down 17-0 in the 3rd and could not get ANYTHING going on offense the first 2 and a half quarters. Lulay took over midway through the 3rd, scored the tying touchdown on a run with seconds left in the quarter. EJ Cochrane kicked the game-winning field goal as time expired (no chip shot, like a 45 yarder). It was a helluva workout jumping up and down with 100+ pounds of photography equipment on your back!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:00 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:35 pm
What an awesome statement by one of MSU’s greatest about one of MSU’s greatest! Both class acts that make me proud they are Bobcats!

My thoughts exactly! It takes class and humility on McGhee's part to make that statement.
McGhee is a humble person, Lulay and McGhee are 2 of the all time great QB's. Both have that infectices drive, don't quit attitude. Lulay or McGhee will or can be successfully HC someday. Congrats to Mr. Lulay, Thank You for all the Memories in the Blue and Gold!

gtfcat84
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gtfcat84 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm

It’s time to retire #14.

'You can't ride home on a bowl of goat' - Ron White

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 am

gtfcat84 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm
It’s time to retire #14.
Agreed 100% We need to hear "Lulaaay, Lulay, Lulay, Lulay... Lulaaay, Lulaaay" reverberate one last time through Bobcat Stadium... =D^

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:09 am

WeedKillinCat wrote:
I'll never forget the game against NAU, I think we were down 10 with a couple of minutes left in the game. Half of the crowd took off. But he led the offense to score 2 TD's to win the game. Hell of a comeback!
Got some great seats at a crowded eatery because of that comeback.........OUR FRIENDS LEFT WHEN WE WERE DOWN 10! Boy, did we give them crap! One of my favorite regular season games ever.....

The place rocked the last time he was at a home game, not long after they won the Grey Cup. The "LoooLaaay" chant was going strong before the PA guy could finish his introduction.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:29 am

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:24 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 pm
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
It wasn't even a couple of minutes left in that game. It was actually just barely a minute...I wanna say like 1:03 or something like that. And while that was his most remarkable comeback, it was actually just one of many heroic late game comebacks that he led during his career. The Weber games in both 2004 and 2005 are a couple others that come immediately to mind, but I know there were several others as well. He may or may not be the best player in Bobcat history, but he is without a doubt my favorite Bobcat ever. It's a shame that he had so many injuries the last 4-5 years, because if he could have stayed healthy, I believe he was on track to have a CFL career that would have rivaled Dave Dickenson's. It's sort of sadly ironic too, because I don't believe he ever missed a single snap due to injury during his career at MSU.
I remember one of the Weber games, I think it was homecoming?
Yeah it was homecoming 2004. I was on the sideline gripping for photographer uncle. We were down 17-0 in the 3rd and could not get ANYTHING going on offense the first 2 and a half quarters. Lulay took over midway through the 3rd, scored the tying touchdown on a run with seconds left in the quarter. EJ Cochrane kicked the game-winning field goal as time expired (no chip shot, like a 45 yarder). It was a helluva workout jumping up and down with 100+ pounds of photography equipment on your back!
He did the same thing the next year at Weber. We trailed 24-10 early in the 4th quarter, and then we scored 17 unanswered points to win 27-24. I believe he personally accounted for all but about 25 yards of our total offense that day, or something ridiculous like that. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 425 total yards for Lulay, and 450 for the team.

And as many of you have already noted, he is an even better person off the field....completely humble and an unbelievable leader. I got a true sense of his leadership when I watched The Line. You could just see how much his teammates loved and respected him, and every one of them would have run through a brick wall for him. Congrats Travis, on a great career. I have to believe that he would make a very good coach, if he has an interest in that area.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:31 am

vike_king wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:09 am
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Got some great seats at a crowded eatery because of that comeback.........OUR FRIENDS LEFT WHEN WE WERE DOWN 10! Boy, did we give them crap! One of my favorite regular season games ever.....

The place rocked the last time he was at a home game, not long after they won the Grey Cup. The "LoooLaaay" chant was going strong before the PA guy could finish his introduction.
I remember that, when he came to that game after his Grey Cup win. I believe it was the New Hampshire playoff game in 2011.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:32 am

gtfcat84 wrote:
It’s time to retire #14.
I could not agree more. If anyone is deserving of being the 5th Bobcat to have his number retired, it's TL.

John K
Golden Bobcat

B

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:35 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
What an awesome statement by one of MSU’s greatest about one of MSU’s greatest! Both class acts that make me proud they are Bobcats!

My thoughts exactly! It takes class and humility on McGhee's part to make that statement.
McGhee is a humble person, Lulay and McGhee are 2 of the all time great QB's. Both have that infectices drive, don't quit attitude. Lulay or McGhee will or can be successfully HC someday. Congrats to Mr. Lulay, Thank You for all the Memories in the Blue and Gold!
That was very classy and humble of DM to say such kind and respectful words about TL. I know we've had some other great QB's, but I'd have to say they are 1A and 1B in Bobcat history.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
The Cats were down 17 (I think) to Portland State at home with the season on the line. Travis brought us all the way back and EWU beat the Griz that night to set up a conference championship showdown the next week. Maybe my favorite Travis game EVER!
Yes it was Portland State in 2002. They jumped out to a 17-0 lead, and we came back and won 28-24, and then of course we ended "the streak" the next week. EWU's win over UM that same day not only set up Cat-Griz to be for the BSC title, it also ended their 24 game winning streak. Hard for me to pick a favorite TL game ever....a lot of amazing comebacks and great wins to choose from, but I think the NAU game in 2003 is pretty hard to top. To come back from 10 down with barely a minute remaining is almost beyond belief.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:21 am

John K wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
The Cats were down 17 (I think) to Portland State at home with the season on the line. Travis brought us all the way back and EWU beat the Griz that night to set up a conference championship showdown the next week. Maybe my favorite Travis game EVER!
Yes it was Portland State in 2002. They jumped out to a 17-0 lead, and we came back and won 28-24, and then of course we ended "the streak" the next week. EWU's win over UM that same day not only set up Cat-Griz to be for the BSC title, it also ended their 24 game winning streak. Hard for me to pick a favorite TL game ever....a lot of amazing comebacks and great wins to choose from, but I think the NAU game in 2003 is pretty hard to top. To come back from 10 down with barely a minute remaining is almost beyond belief.
The Griz actually lost the week before to EWU.

The comeback vs NAU saw MSU score with around a minute to go to cut the NAU lead 17-14. I’m pretty sure that drive start with just over two minutes after a NAU FG. Still very remarkable. Lulay ran it in from 32 yards out, which conserved time after the onside kick was recovered. He then scored from near the goal line to cap off the comeback with 15 seconds to go.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:21 am
John K wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

The comeback vs NAU saw MSU score with around a minute to go to cut the NAU lead 17-14. I’m pretty sure that drive start with just over two minutes after a NAU FG. Still very remarkable. Lulay ran it in from 32 yards out, which conserved time after the onside kick was recovered. He then scored from near the goal line to cap off the comeback with 15 seconds to go.
The Griz lost to EWU the same day we beat PSU, which was the game that snapped their 24 game winning streak. Then we of course ended our 16 game losing streak to them the next week. I remember it clearly, because I watched both those games (I didn't start getting season tickets until 2005 when Luly was a senior) at my ex-wife's aunt and uncle's house in Helena. He was a huge football fan and a Griz fan (sort of a bandwagon fan), and with the results of those two games setting up Cat-Griz to be for the BSC title, we made plans to come back down to Helena again the next weekend to watch Cat-Griz at their house. I remember when we got home from Helena on Saturday night, our home land line voice mail probably had about a dozen messages from fellow Cat fans, saying how great it was to finally break the streak. It's sort of funny now to think about the days before smart phones/texting.
Last edited by John K on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 am

Cataholic wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Coach McGhee~I have been a faithful follower (and also a team member) of the Bobcats since the middle on the last century. Let me run through an incomplete roster of quarterbacks I can vividly recall who may bring back some memories for those who read this. Jack Moore, Alt, Dupuis, Lopsonzski,
Mulcahy, Christinson, McClung, Erickson, First Team All-BSC quarterback Zoonie McLean from Plentywood, MT (I highlight him because I love where he came from and he is the only one with a better name than you), Dunbar, Holder, Dennehy, Sullivan, Godfrey, Bradley, Sherwin, Tetrault, Volek, Spencer, Compson, Thomas, Lulay, Carpenter, Rolovich, McGhee, Prukop, Murray, Anderson. There is no one on this list sir who was better than you. =D^

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:24 am

iaafan wrote:
John K wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of there being 1:03 remaining when we got our first TD, not when we first got the ball back after the NAU FG. I also remember that it was sort of questionable when NAU kicked that FG. I believe they had a 4th and 1 inside MSU's 10 yard line, with a 14-7 lead. If they had gone for it and made it, they probably could have run the clock almost all the way down to zero, and clinched the game regardless of whether they scored or not. But on the other hand, kicking the FG gave them a 2 score lead with about 2 minutes to go. 99 times out of a hundred, you're going to win in that situation.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:39 am

John K wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am
iaafan wrote:
John K wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

The Griz lost to EWU the same day we beat PSU, which was the game that snapped their 24 game winning streak. Then we of course ended our 16 game losing streak to them the next week. I remember it clearly, because I watched both those games (I didn't start getting season tickets until 2005 when Luly was a senior) at my ex-wife's aunt and uncle's house in Helena. He was a huge football fan and a Griz fan (sort of a bandwagon fan), and with the results of those two games setting up Cat-Griz to be for the BSC title, we made plans to come back down to Helena again the next weekend to watch Cat-Griz at their house. I remember when we got home from Helena on Saturday night, our home land line voice mail probably had about a dozen messages from fellow Cat fans, saying how great it was to finally break the streak. It's sort of funny now to think about the days before smart phones/texting.
Sorry. Thought you were saying MSU beating UM ended the UM 24-game winning streak. My bad.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:44 am

John K wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:24 am
iaafan wrote:
John K wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of there being 1:03 remaining when we got our first TD, not when we first got the ball back after the NAU FG. I also remember that it was sort of questionable when NAU kicked that FG. I believe they had a 4th and 1 inside MSU's 10 yard line, with a 14-7 lead. If they had gone for it and made it, they probably could have run the clock almost all the way down to zero, and clinched the game regardless of whether they scored or not. But on the other hand, kicking the FG gave them a 2 score lead with about 2 minutes to go. 99 times out of a hundred, you're going to win in that situation.
I always stay to the end of every game, win or lose. But on that day, we had something to get back to in Helena and my wife kept saying that we needed to go, so when NAU went ahead 17-7, I said ok. I drug my feet and we were just into the parking lot when we scored the first time. Turned to my wife and said “I am going back in”. I thought she would be pissed at me, but she ran all the way back in with me. I was so glad we did as I saw the most improbable comeback I have ever seen😀

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:54 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 am
gtfcat84 wrote:
It’s time to retire #14.
Agreed 100% We need to hear "Lulaaay, Lulay, Lulay, Lulay... Lulaaay, Lulaaay" reverberate one last time through Bobcat Stadium... =D^
I wonder, what is the criteria for retiring numbers at MSU? We have 4 right now, Sonny Holland #52, Don Hass #21, Jan Stenerud #78, and Bill Kollar #77. Is Travis Lulay worthy of the honor along with those great names? Some may say no, but I think he is. What does it take to get the football rolling and the discussion for obtaining this great honor?

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I was told by one of Travis' close friends and teammates that he has no interest in coaching. He's looking at TV as an option right now. He's done some color at some recent Grey Cup championships.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:04 am

John K wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:24 am
iaafan wrote:
John K wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
John K wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:

Pretty sure it was the same day as we watched it at the Cannery, hammered :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:25 am

gtfcat84 wrote:
It’s time to retire #14.
I had to look up prior number retirements. Sonny Holland, Jan Stenerud, Don Hass, Bill Kollar. Impressive group. Everyone, All-Americans. What are the criteria for retiring a jersey to honor someone? Serious question. FYI, there is one other MSU All-American listed, and it wasn't Dennis Erickson.

Post note: Sorry Bobcatsinmso, you beat me to it while I was posting.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."