Montana Recruits 2020

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Montana Recruits 2020

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:00 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:52 pm
HiLineCat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:49 pm
You know we have to sign a kid named Hayden Ferguson. Does anyone know if he is related to "The" Hayden Ferguson?
Ha! I was wondering the same thing.

A true legend.
He needs to be an Ag student whether he wants to or not.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am

Great video! Love it. Coaches blitzing the state!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am

Heh heh. I love the subtle, backwards E at the end of OWN THE STAT3! God it's fun sitting on a three game winning streak over the dark pink. Honestly when "the streak" was at it's max I was seriously wondering if we'd ever get back on top in my lifetime. =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:51 am

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 am

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 am

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 am

31.) Conor Reitler (Billings Skyview) - OL - 6'4", 260 lbs.

Played both ways for the Skyview Falcons his junior season. However, his football future will definitely be on the offensive line. Conor was a standout right tackle last year and is slated to have a big senior season. Could quickly rise up this list with elevated play in 2019 because he has the size and skillset to develop into a solid college offensive lineman.

32.) Nick Mitzel (Missoula Loyola) - QB/ATH - 5'10", 165 lbs.

A decent QB prospect mostly due to his athleticism. Because of that athleticism, Nick has position versatility and it will likely boost his recruitment at positions like WR or S. If you can operate Loyola's passing attack, you are a smart football player and likely a good athlete to boot. Nick's also a lefty...which doesn't matter but just wanted to point it out because the world needs more left-handed QBs.

33.) Mason Dionne (Havre) - RB - 5'11", 180 lbs.

Mason burst onto the scene last year with an All-State season at RB for Havre. He has a good blend of balance, power, and speed. Mason is squarely in the mix of a crowded RB class in 2020. If he can put a team like Havre on his back this fall, Mason is going to receive extra consideration. But first, he will have a shot to prove himself this summer at football camps.

34.) Brad Nieves (Columbia Falls) - LB - 5'11", 210 lbs.

Brad is a technically sound LB prospect who does his job in defending the run and pass. He has a good amount of physicality to his game but was trusted to cover slot receivers/tight ends in Columbia Falls' scheme. The Wildcats have lost a bunch of talent the past two years so Brad will have a bunch of opportunities to shine his senior season.

35.) Mason Harding (Miles City) - OL/DL - 6'4", 240 lbs.

When I watch Mason's tape, I see a kid who could develop into a solid defensive lineman when put on a college weight program. He's a better offensive lineman right now but he could be a decent role player on the DL at the next level, in my opinion. Mason has a good chance to shoot up this list with a good camp circuit. Should be a top NAIA recruit already.

36.) Justus Peterson (Dillon) - QB/ATH - 6'3", 180 lbs.

Much like Nick Mitzel, Justus is a better athlete than QB (and he's also a lefty!). If he wants to play at the next level, WR will likely have to be his position. Also like Nick, when you are the QB of the Dillon Beavers, usually it means you are a solid all-around football player who has intangible leadership skills on top of tangible athletic ability. Justus gets the job done and will be the point man once again his senior season.

37.) Tel Lunde (Wibaux) - ATH - 5'10", 165 lbs.

If you want to watch a talented 6-Man kid (there are actually a few this year that will flirt with PWO consideration in my opinion), look no further than Tel. Now, watching 6-man tape can be interesting to say the least because its backyard football at its finest. But he does things in the open field that make you think "hey...this kid flashes the ability to be a slot WR or SS at the next level." If anything, Tel should be a highly coveted NAIA recruit.

38.) Quinn Sullivan (Butte) - WR - 5'11", 160 lbs.

Tommy Mellott is required to throw the ball a lot for Butte and he spread the ball around to a bunch of targets in 2018. But his favorite target was Quinn, who led the Bulldogs in receptions, yards, and receiving touchdowns. Quinn makes plays on contested catches and/or in the open field. He can play inside or outside receiver and possibly even corner at the next level.

39.) Konor McClafferty (Butte) - OL - 6'5", 210 lbs.

Despite being a bit undersized in terms of weight at left tackle in AA, Konor earned 2nd Team AA All-State honors for the Butte Bulldogs. He flashes the ability to play left tackle at the college level. Konor just simply needs to keep developing his body or, in simple terms, he has to put on weight. His ranking on this list will fluctuate depending on how big he gets by next fall. If he can get into that 240-250 range, his recruitment is going to get a bump. If he stays light, NAIA will likely be his football ceiling...which is still pretty good for a high school recruit.

40.) Matt Simkins (Butte Central) - TE/WR - 6'5", 175 lbs.

Matt is another talented football player who simply needs to add weight. He currently plays in the slot and/or tight end for Butte Central and is a legitimate weapon in the passing game. Matt also plays some defensive end but his future will likely be on offense either as a bigger outside receiver or a flex tight end. If Matt keeps getting bigger, he may be a Top 15 player by the end of this year. When he's running routes and attacking linebackers/safeties, I see Matt Rensvold (former Polson Pirate and current Griz TE).

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am

41.) Ben Maehl (Missoula Big Sky) - WR/S - 6'2", 190 lbs.

Ben is one of the better AA players returning in 2019. He's a good athlete with position versatility. He can develop at WR, S, or LB and be a solid college player. Ben will be highly sought after at the NAIA level.

42.) Jade Morast (Dillon) - OL/DL - 6'2", 235 lbs.

Jade is just a big, strong, physical kid. He's not the greatest athlete which puts him a little lower on my initial ranking but he stills flashes playmaking ability. Jade works hard and does his job every snap. There is value in being reliable.

43.) Trey Green (Alberton/Superior) - RB - 5'9", 200 lbs.

An 8-man player out of Clark Fork High School, Trey is one of the better backs in the state in my opinion. He's a short, stocky runner who has good burst in the open field on top of being physical between the tackles. Trey breaks a bunch of tackles as he uses his frame and strength to his advantage. He's also a decent receiver in the passing game.

44.) Tom Walkup (Bozeman) - OL - 6'1", 285 lbs.

Tom is one of the best interior lineman in this class. He can move people in the run game and flashes some athleticism while pulling. Tom is also a State Qualifying wrestler which coaches circle immediately when trying to put together a recruiting board. Most of his notoriety comes on the offensive line but he may get recruited more as a DT.

45.) Chance Sheldon-Allen (Kalispell Flathead) - WR/DB - 5'9", 155 lbs.

Chance is small but very fast. He is one of the top sprinters in the state as a junior and that speed flashes in the kick-return game. Chance flashed some playmaking ability on defense at the safety position his junior season with 5 interceptions, 14 passes defended, 1 sack, and 2 blocked field goals. Should be on every in-state NAIA school's recruiting radar.

46.) Aidan Barrows (Miles City) - RB - 5'10", 185 lbs.

Aidan was an All-State LB for Custer County High School in 2018 but he may have more of a future as a RB. If Aidan was bigger in height and weight, he would be a Top 10 player in this class. He's one of the most physical runners in the state and has good acceleration in the open field. He's a good track athlete as well. It will be interesting to see how his recruitment develops because Aidan is a kid who could be a late riser by year-end.

47.) Chet McCulley (Eureka) - RB/DB - 5'10", 150 lbs.

Chet tore his ACL early in the 2018 season which eliminated his junior campaign. The three Eureka kids listed in my initial Top 50 (Hank Dunn, Jake Kindel, and Chet) were all All-State their sophomore seasons and all major contributors on those Garrett Graves-led Class B title teams. All of them have a different skillset with Chet's being elusiveness and speed. He has some of the best "wiggle" of any runner in this class and hopefully he can return to top form by this fall.

48.) Gabe Longin (Great Falls High) - RB/DB - 5'11", 185 lbs.

Gabe is a versatile runner with elusiveness in the open field. He was required to catch the ball a lot out of the backfield in Mark Samson's passing attack and Gabe shined catching 60 balls for 582 yards with 7 receiving touchdowns. In my opinion, Gabe had a very underrated season last year for Great Falls High as you can't argue with his production. I see Gabe as a RB or slot WR at the next level and he will have plenty of opportunities to prove what level that will be throughout 2019.

49.) Basil Coutinho (Missoula Loyola) - TE/LB/DE - 6'2", 190 lbs.

Basil has been a starter for Loyola since he was a sophomore and most of his best plays have been made at the DE/LB position. He's been used in a variety of ways on both offense and defense for the Rams which makes him an intriguing in-state prospect. Basil has a good frame to develop into a H-back/flex TE on offense or hybrid DE/LB on defense at the next level.

50.) Carson McGinness (Centerville) - QB/S - 6'0", 170 lbs.

Carson is a two-time All-State football player heading into his senior season. I may have him too low on this list as he flashes just as much ability as some of the players in the 11-20 range on this list. But that's just how this class is built...there isn't much separation between talent once you get past my Top 4. Anyway, Carson is a good player who makes a ton of plays at QB for the Miners of Centerville. He may also be recruited as a safety.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 am

By the way, if anyone wants to yell at me for the ranking, vouch for a player not listed, or just comment on anything in general, PLEASE DO! Many posters just PM me if they want to have a conversation on a prospect so that is perfectly fine to. Would just like to reiterate that this initial Top 50 is largely a guess based off junior tape AND where the kid projects at the next level. There are bunch of players listed in the "Others..." list on the front page that are better than players listed in the Top 50 as things stand right now. But players have different floors and ceilings as prospects so I try to project to the best of my ability.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:50 am

How do you get the time to do all of this? Thanks for all you do.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Also, my biggest takeaway from evaluating the 2020 class? The 2021 class (juniors this fall) is absolutely loaded.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 am
By the way, if anyone wants to yell at me for the ranking, vouch for a player not listed, or just comment on anything in general, PLEASE DO! Many posters just PM me if they want to have a conversation on a prospect so that is perfectly fine to. Would just like to reiterate that this initial Top 50 is largely a guess based off junior tape AND where the kid projects at the next level. There are bunch of players listed in the "Others..." list on the front page that are better than players listed in the Top 50 as things stand right now. But players have different floors and ceilings as prospects so I try to project to the best of my ability.
Where is the best place to find a list of players MSU is after for 2020 outside of MT, if such a beast exists?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Where is the best place to find a list of players MSU is after for 2020 outside of MT, if such a beast exists?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47374

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
It doesn't really exist (yet) as I've told the board I'm only going to track Montana recruits this year.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am
RobertCats wrote:

Heh heh. I love the subtle, backwards E at the end of OWN THE STAT3! God it's fun sitting on a three game winning streak over the dark pink. Honestly when "the streak" was at it's max I was seriously wondering if we'd ever get back on top in my lifetime. =D^
In about seven months, it will be MONTANA ST4TE. After that, it will be MONTANA 5TATE. :D

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am
RobertCats wrote:

In about seven months, it will be MONTANA ST4TE. After that, it will be MONTANA 5TATE. :D
Might as well keep it going!
M6NTANA STATE
MON7ANA STATE
MONTANA ST8
IXONTANA STATE
MonTENa STATE

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm
Tommy is a talented football player but he's had an impressive junior track season which boosted his recruiting.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 17, 2019 10:03 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm
Tommy is a talented football player but he's had an impressive junior track season which boosted his recruiting.
What’s he do in track?