Triangle Classic

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Triangle Classic

Post by stevo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:15 am

What has happened here? This seams like it could really hurt. Could Billings take this over?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Triangle Classic

Post by CelticCat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:59 pm

What a bummer! I had a great time the one time I attended the banquet itself, and went to the scrimmage multiple other years.

Definitely some odd quotes in that article, I wonder what happened...

This is pretty late notice, hopefully MSU has something lined up somewhere else?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:43 pm

I've been pretty involved with the Triangle Classic for the last 8 years, and I'm really sorry to see it end, but it was probably sort of inevitable for a number of different reasons. I really enjoyed being a part of it, and a lot of people here in GF put a lot of time and effort into it over the years. We hope to resurrect it again next year, although the format may be quite different than it's been in previous years. It was a great event for Bobcat fans in this area, and we raised a lot of money for MSU athletics. Stay tuned...hopefully it will be back again in some form next spring.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Topic popped up on eGriz, and provides much more detail than has been even hinted at on this site. Costello has something to do with this. Read his milquetoast statement. Seems to be an ever increasing flow of cash sent to Bozeman and Bozeman wanting the Triangle Classic run its way was the final straw for the local organizers. At any rate, read it yourself on eGriz.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Who to believe? Guys on here that are actually a part of the Great Falls boosters or some guy on egriz?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:13 pm
Who to believe? Guys on here that are actually a part of the Great Falls boosters or some guy on egriz?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Oh, that's it, blame the messenger. Go into the Armadillo mode. Pick up the phone, call your buddies in the Booster Club, especially the Great Falls Chapter, and ask them. Fifteen years and these guys just walk away? A couple months before the event. Oh, and don't think of calling any future events the Golden Triangle Classic. Bad blood between Bozeman and the Great Falls Boosters. Maybe call Scott Mansch, sports editor of the Tribune, who wrote the article, or call the Chronicle, Lee newspapers, see what Nuanez has to say about this 'situation.' Maybe someone can talk the three GF Boosters into posting here, and tell their side of the story. That would be the most direct route. Come on JohnK, you said you are involved with the GF Boosters, post the truth. Sounds like MSU needs a new AD, again.
Last edited by 3-7-77 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:55 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm
Oh, that's it, blame the messenger. Go into the Armadillo mode. Pick up the phone, call your buddies in the Booster Club, especially the Great Falls Chapter, and ask them. Fifteen years and these guys just walk away? A couple months before the event. Oh, and don't think of calling any future events the Golden Triangle Classic. Bad blood between Bozeman and the Great Falls Boosters. Maybe call Scott Mansch, sports editor of the Tribune, who wrote the article, or call the Chronicle, Lee newspapers, see what Nuanez has to say about this 'situation.' Maybe someone can talk the three GF Boosters into posting here, and tell their side of the story. That would be the most direct route.
You’re on a roll, I’m gonna quit watching the 5 o’clock news.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm

asstastic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:55 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm
Oh, that's it, blame the messenger. Go into the Armadillo mode. Pick up the phone, call your buddies in the Booster Club, especially the Great Falls Chapter, and ask them. Fifteen years and these guys just walk away? A couple months before the event. Oh, and don't think of calling any future events the Golden Triangle Classic. Bad blood between Bozeman and the Great Falls Boosters. Maybe call Scott Mansch, sports editor of the Tribune, who wrote the article, or call the Chronicle, Lee newspapers, see what Nuanez has to say about this 'situation.' Maybe someone can talk the three GF Boosters into posting here, and tell their side of the story. That would be the most direct route.
You’re on a roll, I’m gonna quit watching the 5 o’clock news.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't watched the local news since the '80s. If I knew the local boosters, I'd ask them. Why all the secrecy? If this was a Griz fundraising event, I'd be raising HELL about it, too. The GF Boosters could put all speculation to rest by just stating their case.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Plenty of comments in the article.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:08 pm

The Great Falls boosters took the high road with their comments. They could of ripped someone a new one if they wanted. Pretty damn nice of them to hold back.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:08 pm
The Great Falls boosters took the high road with their comments. They could of ripped someone a new one if they wanted. Pretty damn nice of them to hold back.
I’m glad they took the high road for sure because it involves people who all love MSU, both parties.

It’s a shame really, but I will say this if they brought the triangle classic to Billings it would be be double the crowd and support. I don’t agree with Coatello on this and I don’t agree with his work towards growing MSU across the state, but he does have an opportunity here to do some good.

If your left, you aren’t right.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 pm

How about someone just post an explanation and quit dancing around it? MSU obviously began demanding something the BC wasn't willing to do. Post it, or let egriz run the narrative.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
I’m glad they took the high road for sure because it involves people who all love MSU, both parties.

It’s a shame really, but I will say this if they brought the triangle classic to Billings it would be be double the crowd and support. I don’t agree with Coatello on this and I don’t agree with his work towards growing MSU across the state, but he does have an opportunity here to do some good.
Those people in the Great Falls area worked damn hard to make that event first class. I thank everyone who helped over the years. I'm not very happy with the dude who came in and blew it up. Thank You Golden Triangle.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Certainly Billings offers the potential to eventually attract larger crowds and more support than what we drew in GF, because obviously the population is much larger there. But it's a bit naive and presumptuous to think that would automatically be the case, or that it would become that big there right away. It took many years and a great deal of time and effort by a lot of people to grow it into as big of an event as it eventually became in GF. It didn't happen overnight here, and it certainly wouldn't happen overnight there either, since they'd essentially be starting from scratch, just like we did 15 years ago. Because it took so long, and required such a commitment from so many people to build it into what it became, is exactly why it's such a shame that it's ending.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 am

John K wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Certainly Billings offers the potential to eventually attract larger crowds and more support than what we drew in GF, because obviously the population is much larger there. But it's a bit naive and presumptuous to think that would automatically be the case, or that it would become that big there right away. It took many years and a great deal of time and effort by a lot of people to grow it into as big of an event as it eventually became in GF. It didn't happen overnight here, and it certainly wouldn't happen overnight there either, since they'd essentially be starting from scratch, just like we did 15 years ago. Because it took so long, and required such a commitment from so many people to build it into what it became, is exactly why it's such a shame that it's ending.
Clearly this shows how close we are to being fully funded on all levels in the Athletic Dept! No need for extra work to go get extra $$$! 8)

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I think the Flathead Valley might be a decent option for new host site for a reworked version of the triangle classic.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Oh I agree with you 100%, i was making reference if they brought it to Billings it could have the potential to be just as good or better after a few years. I wish it was still in great falls for sure and don’t agree with the decision.

If your left, you aren’t right.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Just bring it to Billings. There's more free-market money here than anywhere else in the state & the location should be a strategic stronghold for Bobcat Nation. As a resident, I've noticed a lot more Bobcat paraphernalia around town over the past three years since we've owned the jizz. Despite all the dUMb lawyers & doctors here in Billings, this is a Bobcat town overall. Especially right now.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:43 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:29 pm
Just bring it to Billings. There's more free-market money here than anywhere else in the state & the location should be a strategic stronghold for Bobcat Nation. As a resident, I've noticed a lot more Bobcat paraphernalia around town over the past three years since we've owned the jizz. Despite all the dUMb lawyers & doctors here in Billings, this is a Bobcat town overall. Especially right now.
It all relies on the bobcat club volunteers. The great falls crew worked their butts off making this a top notch event. Does the billings (or any other town) booster club have the same type of dedication and hustle to make it a big time event?

The great falls crew is truly special and deserve big time respect.