Employed or not

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Employed or not

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:49 am

Let us change the subject.. What came first, the Timeout or the Snap in the Cat/Griz game? :) :)

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am

This place has gone all TMZ lately.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:49 am
Let us change the subject.. What came first, the Timeout or the Snap in the Cat/Griz game? :) :)
I would say the Timeout happen first then THE Snap of Bobby head toward MSU sidelines thinking you mother%^&#ers how could you call a time out at that point of the game. :D :D

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:59 am
This is insane. I feel like I am reading a bunch of teenage girls gossip about the pretty girl they are all jealous of. Why does it matter what this guy decides to do with his life? Why are people so interested in this? The guy did a lot of good things at MSU and helped us beat UM three years in a row. It’s his life not yours. Let him enjoy it.
Are you kidding me? Don't you know that no good deed goes unpunished?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am

Man this threat was brutal to read, thanks for that guys. Is it spring ball yet? :deadhorse: :suds: :penalty:

In all reality if he chooses to go into insurance sales in Montana, he could and should (depending on where he works) make a significant more amount of money than being a DC in the BSC.

I appreciate greatly his 3 years here and wish him and his family good luck in the future in whatever venture he chooses.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:49 am
I would say the Timeout happen first then THE Snap of Bobby head toward MSU sidelines thinking you mother%^&#ers how could you call a time out at that point of the game. :D :D
I think it was actually TG who called timeout from behind the grassy knoll.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

And the defense he ultimately wants to run is the one run at UW which is where Kane has been learning for 2 years. Choate got word that Kane was "ready" and was getting offers from other schools, and decided to make the move. Is it a risk? Of course. It's always a risk replacing a successful coach. But TG is not the #1 DC in the league as you believe he is. ...
First off - We've already been running the D Choate has wanted to run since Day 1. TG was the DC of this D this Day 1. So how would Ione be more "ready" to run this D than a guy who has already been running this successfully for the past 3 seasons?

Second - TG was, by far & away, the #1 DC in the Big Sky. I don't even think this is an opinion. He was probably the #1 DC in the FCS actually. Just look at his background & legacy compared to all the others. Look at the recruits he was able to land vs. the others. That is what makes this situation so bizarre & insane.
Choate has made his decision and it is in the past. Time to move on and support Ioane and Choate. If you are not on board, that is your choice, but the vast majority has heard enough of this crap.
Agreed. Choate's fingerprints are all over the defense anyway, so I really don't see this as a monumental change. Changes on offense are likely to be more pronounced, given where Choate's expertise lies. I expect we'll play more of what UW has been playing, and I think we'll be glad to have Kane back on staff as a recruiter. Ty is a good recruiter also, but I don't believe we've lost anything that way. I think Ty is a great defensive coach. I respect the work he did here. Evidently, something in the relationship wasn't tenable any longer. Will we regret it? Hard to say, but like Cataholic said, what's done is done. I'm excited to have Kane back in the fold.
I agree. This board is perplexing to me sometimes. 4 months ago anyone who questioned whether TG was the best DC would have been run out of town. Now he was so bad he had to be let go. This is the same thing that Griz fans were saying when he left the Griz. I am sad that TG is gone. I wish he had got a big promotion and I think that he deserved one. What he (and Choate) did with this defence is nothing short of spectacular and for that, I will always be grateful. I am also very glad to have Ione back and I think we will have a better D next year - not so much because Ione will be the coach but because we will be much improved at the LB position. Ioane is a good coach and I don't think that we can hold him responsible for the debacle we had when he was the co-DC. Choate has never been afraid to make moves in the coaching staff that he believes will make the team better and I think that is one of his strengths. Is that what happened with TG? We will probably never know and frankly, I don't care. That is also one of Choate's strength. He keeps his mouth shut about the affairs of others that doesn't need to be spread around. Go Cats, welcome back Ioane, and thank you TG for the years of hard work and for pouring your heart into making the cats better.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am

95bcfb wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

And the defense he ultimately wants to run is the one run at UW which is where Kane has been learning for 2 years. Choate got word that Kane was "ready" and was getting offers from other schools, and decided to make the move. Is it a risk? Of course. It's always a risk replacing a successful coach. But TG is not the #1 DC in the league as you believe he is. ...
First off - We've already been running the D Choate has wanted to run since Day 1. TG was the DC of this D this Day 1. So how would Ione be more "ready" to run this D than a guy who has already been running this successfully for the past 3 seasons?

Second - TG was, by far & away, the #1 DC in the Big Sky. I don't even think this is an opinion. He was probably the #1 DC in the FCS actually. Just look at his background & legacy compared to all the others. Look at the recruits he was able to land vs. the others. That is what makes this situation so bizarre & insane.
Choate has made his decision and it is in the past. Time to move on and support Ioane and Choate. If you are not on board, that is your choice, but the vast majority has heard enough of this crap.
Agreed. Choate's fingerprints are all over the defense anyway, so I really don't see this as a monumental change. Changes on offense are likely to be more pronounced, given where Choate's expertise lies. I expect we'll play more of what UW has been playing, and I think we'll be glad to have Kane back on staff as a recruiter. Ty is a good recruiter also, but I don't believe we've lost anything that way. I think Ty is a great defensive coach. I respect the work he did here. Evidently, something in the relationship wasn't tenable any longer. Will we regret it? Hard to say, but like Cataholic said, what's done is done. I'm excited to have Kane back in the fold.
I agree. This board is perplexing to me sometimes. 4 months ago anyone who questioned whether TG was the best DC would have been run out of town. Now he was so bad he had to be let go. This is the same thing that Griz fans were saying when he left the Griz. I am sad that TG is gone. I wish he had got a big promotion and I think that he deserved one. What he (and Choate) did with this defence is nothing short of spectacular and for that, I will always be grateful. I am also very glad to have Ione back and I think we will have a better D next year - not so much because Ione will be the coach but because we will be much improved at the LB position. Ioane is a good coach and I don't think that we can hold him responsible for the debacle we had when he was the co-DC. Choate has never been afraid to make moves in the coaching staff that he believes will make the team better and I think that is one of his strengths. Is that what happened with TG? We will probably never know and frankly, I don't care. That is also one of Choate's strength. He keeps his mouth shut about the affairs of others that doesn't need to be spread around. Go Cats, welcome back Ioane, and thank you TG for the years of hard work and for pouring your heart into making the cats better.
Well said.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am
95bcfb wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Well said.
Totally agree.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 am

95bcfb wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Best post in the whole thread. Thank you!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am
Man this threat was brutal to read, thanks for that guys. Is it spring ball yet? :deadhorse: :suds: :penalty:

In all reality if he chooses to go into insurance sales in Montana, he could and should (depending on where he works) make a significant more amount of money than being a DC in the BSC.

I appreciate greatly his 3 years here and wish him and his family good luck in the future in whatever venture he chooses.
This!! Why couldn't it be that he is just contemplating a career change? Like you said the opportunity to make more money and pair that with working significantly fewer hours? He might just want a break from the countless hours of practice, workouts, film study and then being away from his family on numerous away games, recruiting visits, coaching clinics. I was thrilled that TG was our DC for the last 3 years and thrilled that Ioane is taking over this year. Go Cats!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am

This!! Why couldn't it be that he is just contemplating a career change? Like you said the opportunity to make more money and pair that with working significantly fewer hours? He might just want a break from the countless hours of practice, workouts, film study and then being away from his family on numerous away games, recruiting visits, coaching clinics. I was thrilled that TG was our DC for the last 3 years and thrilled that Ioane is taking over this year. Go Cats!
Not only the potentially better money, but generally if you want to rise in the coaching ranks, you have to move your family often. That's hard on kids, and I wouldn't blame him a bit for wanting to settle things down. He'll do great in whatever he's doing and I hope he sticks around and is able to enjoy his family more.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 pm

95bcfb wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Good post. I agree with much of it.

However, there were many fans that weren't always ecstatic of the job that was being done on the defensive side of the ball. I know for a fact there were many very vocal fans and boosters after the NDSU game.

I also don't think it's true that he was "so bad he had to be let go". There were a lot of moving parts as you alluded to very well in your post.

It's entertaining that sports fans always think everything is so black and white in sports. Like there is some big conspiracy or something every time a move is made. Have any of you ever left a job? Was there only one big reason for it? Or did you weigh the many factors? There are much bigger things than Bobcat football and TG knew this. He had many things to consider. The public release said he resigned. And sometimes the correct answer is right in front of your face...

I wish Ty all the luck in the world. He's a great dude and has a great family. He's going to absolutely crush whatever he dives into next because he has a great work ethic and a better personality. And our Cat defense will be just fine as well. It's nice when things work out, which I feel very good about that this will.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:53 pm

[]I agree. This board is perplexing to me sometimes. 4 months ago anyone who questioned whether TG was the best DC would have been run out of town. Now he was so bad he had to be let go. This is the same thing that Griz fans were saying when he left the Griz. I am sad that TG is gone. I wish he had got a big promotion and I think that he deserved one. What he (and Choate) did with this defence is nothing short of spectacular and for that, I will always be grateful. I am also very glad to have Ione back and I think we will have a better D next year - not so much because Ione will be the coach but because we will be much improved at the LB position. Ioane is a good coach and I don't think that we can hold him responsible for the debacle we had when he was the co-DC. Choate has never been afraid to make moves in the coaching staff that he believes will make the team better and I think that is one of his strengths. Is that what happened with TG? We will probably never know and frankly, I don't care. That is also one of Choate's strength. He keeps his mouth shut about the affairs of others that doesn't need to be spread around. Go Cats, welcome back Ioane, and thank you TG for the years of hard work and for pouring your heart into making the cats better.quote
[/quote]

I believe the highlighted reason is why Choate is at a level beyond Ash. He puts the team ahead of any loyalties

2024 Resume dominance

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Friendly reminder that these coaches don't make much money. Sure the HC does, but nobody else.

They're working very long hours just recruiting, don't get much for a vacation, and make what...40-60k a year? Sounds awful to me, to be honest.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am
Perfect description. Nobody here knows any true reason for Ty leaving but it seems some people are very upset about it to the point it is embarrassing.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm
Friendly reminder that these coaches don't make much money. Sure the HC does, but nobody else.

They're working very long hours just recruiting, don't get much for a vacation, and make what...40-60k a year? Sounds awful to me, to be honest.
They REALLY have to love the game and it impresses me how hard and how many hours these guys work for a relatively small amount of money compared to an 8-5 job.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am
Perfect description. Nobody here knows any true reason for Ty leaving but it seems some people are very upset about it to the point it is embarrassing.
How do we contact the mods about adding a section aptly named...jerry springer...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm

I think a good Def Coord in FCS makes close to 90-100k. I know JMU DC got a 3 year 130k per year deal under Houston when he was there. I want to say I saw something where Ty made like 85k/year. Not too awful but they do work a ton.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:21 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 pm
Sounds believable to me. I have nothing against the man, and wish him the best.
Same here. He's a good coach and it is fair to say Choate is betting his job on his evaluation of Kane's "readiness". I think its going to be an exciting spring and fall.
“Betting his job” sounds a bit over-the-top. I would disagree.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie