Employed or not

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Employed or not

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Choate wanted a change at defensive coordinator, expedited that change by hiring Kane and parting ways with Ty, Ty didn't expect to be gone for the 2019 season so he didn't have a job lined up, and now he is taking this time to enjoy his family and looking into possible non-football job opportunities.

People are allowed to believe what they want. But this was a coaching change made by Choate to try to make the defense better.
I call BS on this.

Our defense had made continual improvement under TG, culminating in last year's playoff win & elimination in the final 16 against a top 15 team in the nation, including FBS (NDSU).

TG had just presided over the greatest defensive call in MSU history against the jizz in missoula in what will go down in Bobcat lore as "The Stuff".

You don't fire DCs that do stuff like that. Remember, TG resigned unexpectedly. He was never let go or fired by Choate.

Ioane will not be an improvement over TG as the DC. Ioane is generally very overrated by Bobcat Nation as a coach & he's extremely fortunate he's been given this opportunity under Choate now. As fans, we're lucky to have landed Daly as the new LB coach to help with what will be a difficult transition for our program. Daly or Hout will likely be our DC 2-3 years from now I believe.

Some kind of sudden & unexpected "incident" happened with TG, I think most people realize that now.
He was let go/fired by Choate. Ioane is not overrated. No incident happened. Ty and his family are excellent members of the Bozeman community. Everyone is moving on.

However, you can continue to believe what you want to believe. That is your right.
New Sac State head coach Troy Taylor was courting Ioane heavily to become his defensive coordinator. He stole former NAU DC Andy Thompson from Southern Utah instead. You have to think that Ioane potentially going somewhere else in the conference expedited Montana State's change at DC.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Choate wanted a change at defensive coordinator, expedited that change by hiring Kane and parting ways with Ty, Ty didn't expect to be gone for the 2019 season so he didn't have a job lined up, and now he is taking this time to enjoy his family and looking into possible non-football job opportunities.

People are allowed to believe what they want. But this was a coaching change made by Choate to try to make the defense better.
I call BS on this.

Our defense had made continual improvement under TG, culminating in last year's playoff win & elimination in the final 16 against a top 15 team in the nation, including FBS (NDSU).

TG had just presided over the greatest defensive call in MSU history against the jizz in missoula in what will go down in Bobcat lore as "The Stuff".

You don't fire DCs that do stuff like that. Remember, TG resigned unexpectedly. He was never let go or fired by Choate.

Ioane will not be an improvement over TG as the DC. Ioane is generally very overrated by Bobcat Nation as a coach & he's extremely fortunate he's been given this opportunity under Choate now. As fans, we're lucky to have landed Daly as the new LB coach to help with what will be a difficult transition for our program. Daly or Hout will likely be our DC 2-3 years from now I believe.

Some kind of sudden & unexpected "incident" happened with TG, I think most people realize that now.
I think Ioane is an upgrade over TG. The third down efficiency under TG was not acceptable. Plus our LB situation was horrible last year. Yes, injuries did not help but the talent in the room that TG built over 3 years did not measure up to BSC standards. It was time for a change and I love the change.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:42 am

gtapp wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 am

... Plus our LB situation was horrible last year. Yes, injuries did not help but the talent in the room that TG built over 3 years did not measure up to BSC standards. It was time for a change and I love the change.
Didn't your top LB have to play QB? Cant blame that on TG. Someone mentioned that somewhere.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Sounds like you are a scorned lover with a vendetta. You are arguing with one of the most in the know posters on this board. Like Vim said everyone can believe what they want. But unless you have proof of anything different just stop.
I have no proof of any "incident", nor am I trying to spread any kind of rumor. I'm just simply trying to piece together what has happened here using known information, along with basic logic & reason.

I'm not going to hold back on taking some of the longtime posters on this board to task on certain issues. Vim is saying there was no "incident", which seems very unlikely from everything I've seen. I'm not calling him a liar, I'm just saying it doesn't really hold to reason. It's nothing personal.

Many longtime posters like Vim & GTapp are "all in" on Ione as the new DC now and believe that we have upgraded. I believe they are badly mistaken on this. As many have stated, we all have our right to our opinions.

We shall see how this plays out over time. Let's save this thread & revisit this topic at the end of next season to see how accurate these opposing assessments are.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:38 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm
The Bobcat defense made a huge turn around in Choate's first season with mostly players from the prior season, which was one of the Bobcats worst D's ever.
Correct. And guess who was running one of the worst Bobcat Ds off all time the year before Choate took over?

None other than our new DC "upgrade" Mr Ione! And Bobcat Nation in general is "all in" on this!

You can't make this stuff up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:38 am
Mr Lisle wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm
The Bobcat defense made a huge turn around in Choate's first season with mostly players from the prior season, which was one of the Bobcats worst D's ever.
Correct. And guess who was running one of the worst Bobcat Ds off all time the year before Choate took over?

None other than our new DC "upgrade" Mr Ione! And Bobcat Nation in general is "all in" on this!

You can't make this stuff up.
TG helped take our defense from one of the worst in the league, to 3rd-4th in the league for 3 straight years. And that was a huge improvement from where we were. But Choate knows we have to do better than that in order to make a deeper playoff run. And the defense he ultimately wants to run is the one run at UW which is where Kane has been learning for 2 years. Choate got word that Kane was "ready" and was getting offers from other schools, and decided to make the move. Is it a risk? Of course. It's always a risk replacing a successful coach. But TG is not the #1 DC in the league as you believe he is. And obviously Choate thinks improvement can be made, especially after losing to Weber 3 straight years, and seeing Ndsu in the playoffs. He trusts his contacts at UW so he decided to take a chance on Kane.

Goto Skyline Sports and find the podcast on January 11 titled "Big Sky Breakdown: Jeff Choate on his coaching staff." Start around the 6 minute mark and listen to what Choate says.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Sounds like you are a scorned lover with a vendetta. You are arguing with one of the most in the know posters on this board. Like Vim said everyone can believe what they want. But unless you have proof of anything different just stop.
I have no proof of any "incident", nor am I trying to spread any kind of rumor. I'm just simply trying to piece together what has happened here using known information, along with basic logic & reason.

I'm not going to hold back on taking some of the longtime posters on this board to task on certain issues. Vim is saying there was no "incident", which seems very unlikely from everything I've seen. I'm not calling him a liar, I'm just saying it doesn't really hold to reason. It's nothing personal.

Many longtime posters like Vim & GTapp are "all in" on Ione as the new DC now and believe that we have upgraded. I believe they are badly mistaken on this. As many have stated, we all have our right to our opinions.

We shall see how this plays out over time. Let's save this thread & revisit this topic at the end of next season to see how accurate these opposing assessments are.
Using basic logic and reason, we should probably be using Occam's Razor and going with the simplest explanation that requires the fewest assumptions as the one that is likeliest to be correct. Given what Vim is posting, here is what, to me, seems to be by far the most plausible explanation:

1) Choate wanted Kane to get a few years experience learning his preferred defensive system at UW with the thought that he could potentially come back to MSU as DC at some point.
2) While at UW, Kane does well and starts getting offers from other schools, including the Sac State DC job.
3) Choate realizes if he doesn't bring back Kane now, he's likely to lose him to another school.
4) Choate makes the tough decision to let Gregorak go and offer the DC job to Kane.

Our other option is to buy into a baseless rumor posted on the site that's run by AlphaGriz, whose latest accomplishments involved getting dragged into court for posting personal information about a newspaper reporter. I know which option I'm choosing to believe, and only time will tell to see if Choate made the right decision here.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 am

gtapp wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I call BS on this.

I think Ioane is an upgrade over TG. The third down efficiency under TG was not acceptable. Plus our LB situation was horrible last year. Yes, injuries did not help but the talent in the room that TG built over 3 years did not measure up to BSC standards. It was time for a change and I love the change.
I agree with gtapp. I've never been able to figure out how our defense the past three years could consistently hold the opposing team to 1 or 2 yards on first and second downs only to give up 10 (or more) on third down. Then folks would say our defense was "gassed" in the 4th quarter. Well, in my opinion, if you don't want a "gassed" defense, they have to be able to get themselves off of the field. (Obviously I'm not a fan of the "bend don't break" defensive scheme. I want a shut down defense that consistently produces 3 and outs for the opponent).

If Gregorak's defense was so great, the 'Cats wouldn't have given up 60 yards in the last few minutes of the game to make the "stuff" necessary (not to take anything away from the stuff - it was a great play).

A portion of the rationale for replacing Ash was that he was not the coach to get us to the next level. I'd posit the same with the Gregorak/Ioane change.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 am

We will probably never know the real reason TG isn't our DC anymore. This means we won't know if it was performance based or not. And some folks are just going to have to accept this.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 am

They won’t accept it. They’ll just move on to the next thing. They definitely won’t come back and admit they were wrong.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am

Our other option is to buy into a baseless rumor posted on the site that's run by AlphaGriz, whose latest accomplishments involved getting dragged into court for posting personal information about a newspaper reporter. I know which option I'm choosing to believe, and only time will tell to see if Choate made the right decision here.
Minor correction is needed here.She was not a reporter, but a left wing progressive zealot who wanted to hand every perceived wrong over the last 20 years on Hauck. She defamed Hauck, the football teams, and the University, and the Missoulian ran with it. Alpha got back at her the best way he could, by posting. Never read his MaroonBlood post, so...

Back to TG. Your four points seem logical.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:25 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am
MSU01 wrote:

Minor correction is needed here.She was not a reporter, but a left wing progressive zealot who wanted to hand every perceived wrong over the last 20 years on Hauck. She defamed Hauck, the football teams, and the University, and the Missoulian ran with it. Alpha got back at her the best way he could, by posting. Never read his MaroonBlood post, so...

Defending Alphie, there goes all your credibility, if you ever had any
1. Its a persons right to feel any way they want to about someone else, they can even start a petition, that went no where, that is a right granted by the Constitution. You would think someone who adamantly defends it, you'd know what it said.
2. Alpha "doxed" this woman's information on the internet and then incited violence against her. That was childish, small and a very illegal thing to do.

I realize you're one of the people who thinks freedom only applies to yourself. But if you pull you head out of you ass maybe you'd have a less selfish view on the world.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am
MSU01 wrote:

](*,)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:32 pm

If the rumor as mentioned is true that he's considering a career in insurance, that's a good profession and I wish him the best. I'm looking at changing carriers and if he were to end up in Billings I'd go with him.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:44 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:25 pm

I realize you're one of the people who thinks freedom only applies to yourself. But if you pull you head out of you ass maybe you'd have a less selfish view on the world.
Petty.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

And the defense he ultimately wants to run is the one run at UW which is where Kane has been learning for 2 years. Choate got word that Kane was "ready" and was getting offers from other schools, and decided to make the move. Is it a risk? Of course. It's always a risk replacing a successful coach. But TG is not the #1 DC in the league as you believe he is. ...
First off - We've already been running the D Choate has wanted to run since Day 1. TG was the DC of this D this Day 1. So how would Ione be more "ready" to run this D than a guy who has already been running this successfully for the past 3 seasons?

Second - TG was, by far & away, the #1 DC in the Big Sky. I don't even think this is an opinion. He was probably the #1 DC in the FCS actually. Just look at his background & legacy compared to all the others. Look at the recruits he was able to land vs. the others. That is what makes this situation so bizarre & insane.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am
91catAlum wrote:

And the defense he ultimately wants to run is the one run at UW which is where Kane has been learning for 2 years. Choate got word that Kane was "ready" and was getting offers from other schools, and decided to make the move. Is it a risk? Of course. It's always a risk replacing a successful coach. But TG is not the #1 DC in the league as you believe he is. ...
First off - We've already been running the D Choate has wanted to run since Day 1. TG was the DC of this D this Day 1. So how would Ione be more "ready" to run this D than a guy who has already been running this successfully for the past 3 seasons?

Second - TG was, by far & away, the #1 DC in the Big Sky. I don't even think this is an opinion. He was probably the #1 DC in the FCS actually. Just look at his background & legacy compared to all the others. Look at the recruits he was able to land vs. the others. That is what makes this situation so bizarre & insane.
If it were true, I think some fbs team would have come calling.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

First off - You’re answering your own questions. Like 91 said, ultimately. UW runs a 2-4-5 base. Ultimately that’s what Choate wants to run. He’s bringing Ioane, who knows it well, to get it going. It’s a logical move.

Second - that actually is an opinion. All of it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Choate has made his decision and it is in the past. Time to move on and support Ioane and Choate. If you are not on board, that is your choice, but the vast majority has heard enough of this crap.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Choate has made his decision and it is in the past. Time to move on and support Ioane and Choate. If you are not on board, that is your choice, but the vast majority has heard enough of this crap.
Agreed. Choate's fingerprints are all over the defense anyway, so I really don't see this as a monumental change. Changes on offense are likely to be more pronounced, given where Choate's expertise lies. I expect we'll play more of what UW has been playing, and I think we'll be glad to have Kane back on staff as a recruiter. Ty is a good recruiter also, but I don't believe we've lost anything that way. I think Ty is a great defensive coach. I respect the work he did here. Evidently, something in the relationship wasn't tenable any longer. Will we regret it? Hard to say, but like Cataholic said, what's done is done. I'm excited to have Kane back in the fold.