Biggest plays in MSU history

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Biggest plays in MSU history

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm
The famous Jesse Jones catch and run against Boise in 1984. This game put MSU in first place in the Big Sky that year.
I clipped this out of the 1984 highlite tape. Sorry for the poor quality.

=D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm

It’s odd to see two blocked extra points on the list, but those both came in playoff games right at the end of regulation, so it’s hard to argue. The one in 1976 led to the national title.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm
It’s odd to see two blocked extra points on the list, but those both came in playoff games right at the end of regulation, so it’s hard to argue. The one in 1976 led to the national title.
Only blocked extra points against New Hampshire need apply. =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:49 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm
Only blocked extra points against New Hampshire need apply. =D^
Yeah, that, too! :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:17 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm
Bunch of young punks posting here. The greatest play ever was Paul Schafer's 58th carry in the 1968 Cat-Griz game with 12 seconds left. Look it up. See what that team did on November 2, 1968.
I’m not old enough to remember Schafers play and I’m not sure if I’m a punk, but I can’t see how any play against the griz can beat Joe Roberts interception for greatest plays in Bobcat history. Roberts interception occurred when the Cats were, in all likelihood, going down to defeat. Joe’s improbable interception and return won the playoff game and put the Cats in the national championship.
Without having seen Schafers play, I will give you number two on the list though.
Sometime in the third quarter of the 68 game, the staples they used to keep Paul's dislocated shoulder somewhat in place began coming out...and that was the 58th carry by Paul in that one game. Even though the next tackle saved the lead as the clock ran out, I stiil maintain that one yard run as the best ever.
I was about 50 ft from it. I was seated in the south endzone at the old off campus stadium they used. Paul got the hand off did a short side step, waited for the block, and dove into the endzone.

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:45 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 am
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Bunch of young punks posting here. The greatest play ever was Paul Schafer's 58th carry in the 1968 Cat-Griz game with 12 seconds left. Look it up. See what that team did on November 2, 1968.
I’m not old enough to remember Schafers play and I’m not sure if I’m a punk, but I can’t see how any play against the griz can beat Joe Roberts interception for greatest plays in Bobcat history. Roberts interception occurred when the Cats were, in all likelihood, going down to defeat. Joe’s improbable interception and return won the playoff game and put the Cats in the national championship.
Without having seen Schafers play, I will give you number two on the list though.
Sometime in the third quarter of the 68 game, the staples they used to keep Paul's dislocated shoulder somewhat in place began coming out...and that was the 58th carry by Paul in that one game. Even though the next tackle saved the lead as the clock ran out, I stiil maintain that one yard run as the best ever.
I was about 50 ft from it. I was seated in the south endzone at the old off campus stadium they used. Paul got the hand off did a short side step, waited for the block, and dove into the endzone.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. That’s great, but do you know who tackled Ron Baines?

toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Did you think they'd be able to come back in that game? Back then running the Houston Veer still, that kind of comeback was unheard of and I thought they were toast. Erickson and our Bain were unworldly. Wish I had video of some of the catches Bain made and Stiff did pretty good too.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Not football, but this was pretty exciting to watch today!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:09 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

You used the words hockey and exciting in the same sentence. Must be a first.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:35 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:09 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Yeah, a first. Hockey isn't exciting at all.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 pm

gtapp wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I'd watch hockey over anything but college football every day.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:22 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 pm
gtapp wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I'd watch hockey over anything but college football every day.
Playoff hockey is among the best in all of sports!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Did you think they'd be able to come back in that game? Back then running the Houston Veer still, that kind of comeback was unheard of and I thought they were toast. Erickson and our Bain were unworldly. Wish I had video of some of the catches Bain made and Stiff did pretty good too.
I too was in the end zone when Paul Shafer scored. Since (if not true) it seems most of the MSU fans - at least the students - were in that end zone, when Shafer scored, the place went nuts!! Whether or not that play was one of the biggest in MSU history or not, I think Shafer's effort that day has to top the list. He was one tough dude!! I doubt they'd even let a kid play today in the kind of shape he played much of the season. I'd like to be able to see that game again.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm

catscat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
I too was in the end zone when Paul Shafer scored. Since (if not true) it seems most of the MSU fans - at least the students - were in that end zone, when Shafer scored, the place went nuts!! Whether or not that play was one of the biggest in MSU history or not, I think Shafer's effort that day has to top the list. He was one tough dude!! I doubt they'd even let a kid play today in the kind of shape he played much of the season. I'd like to be able to see that game again.
No, he would not have played today. I mean, come on, they stapled his freaken dislocated shoulder and the staples were coming out! Haas played a game where they had to tape one arm to his chest. But I don't mean to get off topic. Those two plays in that 68 game had to have been the best plays ever by Bobcat football player(s).

Guess you had to have been there to understand how far behind they were and how gutty those guys were to understand.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm
catscat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
No, he would not have played today. I mean, come on, they stapled his freaken dislocated shoulder and the staples were coming out! Haas played a game where they had to tape one arm to his chest. But I don't mean to get off topic. Those two plays in that 68 game had to have been the best plays ever by Bobcat football player(s).

Guess you had to have been there to understand how far behind they were and how gutty those guys were to understand.
Every time you post in this thread I think you’re going to reveal who tackled Ron Baines. I’m beginning to wonder if you know.

toM StUber

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 am
Cat Grad wrote:
catscat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Every time you post in this thread I think you’re going to reveal who tackled Ron Baines. I’m beginning to wonder if you know.
According to an interview with Dennis Erickson it was defensive back Terry Brown who just got enough of Baines at the ten yard line to take him out-of-bounds.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catscat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

According to an interview with Dennis Erickson it was defensive back Terry Brown who just got enough of Baines at the ten yard line to take him out-of-bounds.
Terry Brown

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catscat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Terry Brown

Mystery solved...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catscat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Thanks! I’ve been wondering who it was for at least 10 years. Does anyone have any other info about Brown? Hometown. Year in school when he made that play.

toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:48 am

No additional information on the tackle, but I know who Ron Bain tackled. Me. City league softball. I was filling in at catcher — first time ever. He had rounded third and was barreling in. The throw from our short fielder was in time, on line, and too high. I went straight up to catch it. That's the last thing I remembered until I saw his future wife (a high school friend of mine) kneeling over me yelling, "Are you alive?" I had no good answer. 🤪