Coach Choate - Preview of 2019 Season in Billings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Coach Choate - Preview of 2019 Season in Billings

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 pm
Choate was fun to listen to. Some football and lots about MSU. Asked what players he thought have showed flashes and potential that we may not see due to being buried behind depth, being a freshman or just isn't noticed during games, Nolan Askelson, Lewis Kid, and Lane Sumner. What changes to the Defense we might see. More four on the line but not always. Also wasn't happy we couldn't get off the field on third downs. This was related to not being able to cover the receivers in the seam. It was a question he asked Kane Ioane when they were discussing him coming back at the DC. He gave the right answer according to Choate, LOL. Chris Murray is only working out with the team 1 out of 3 times. The other two he is at a study table. Said he was proud of Chris for staying at MSU and trying to take care of the academics. He said he doesn't know if he will take another snap as a Bobcat but he has developed as a person though all of this. Team has only been able to complete several spring practices. The turf at the stadium is still frozen so they can't practice on it yet. Need several warm days. The collapse of the gym's is going to really hurt all sports due to lack of inside practice space. Talking of using bubbles on one of the intramural fields. Someone asked why replacing the east bleachers wasn't the first priority and he said for recruiting and just better spaces for all student athletes it made for sense do the football offices first. He said he would love to have the indoor practice facility but this needed to happen first.
Good synopsis. First time I had ever heard him speak in person. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:52 pm

I have watched a lot of his press conferences and he is very interesting to listen to. Even better in person though.

He also mentioned that he learned that we need to get a first round bye in the playoffs. Thought that we have a good schedule this year. TT vs MSU game may get moved to Thursday night and be the only game televised nationally on Fox that night. Hasn't been finalized so may or may not happen. Loves playing good opponents at Bobcat Stadium. 20k helps tip the scale in MSUs favor.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 pm

He also reiterated his dislike of the portal and thought athletes should stay at least one year before being allowed to use it.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Coach Choate is one of the most gifted public speakers I've ever been around. That includes professors, pastors, reverends and other coaches. And this is coming from someone who listens to people talk for a living and, in my limited free time, attend lectures and speeches and goes to church often. Choate is top notch.

Just today, in a 15-minute interview with Skyline Sports, he gave us so much interesting stuff, it's worth 7-8 features of content (which we will print over the next two weeks). He is special in his ability to describe everything from the game of football to the distinct dynamics and challenges of Montana State to the state of society.

He is a very intense and smart man who keeps you engaged at all times. We have asked him thousands of questions already in the four years he's been the head coach. It's like he had the question beforehand almost every single time. He is so prepared and has thought about every single aspect of his program deeply.

The fulfillment of his vision for the program is still in front of the Bobcats, but at the very least, Choate is a tremendous ambassador for the Montana State brand and its football program. He is very impressive to cover from the seat I sit in.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Oh, and he also said they have around $10.2 million in the bank for the facilities plan and want any and all donations they can get now. He mentioned something about partnering with a company (I think he said in healthcare) to help fund the projects, but there was legislation that needed to be worked through first. Forgot the exact details of what he said.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 pm

I keep remembering details. He said that Jamahd Monroe might be a freshman that plays this year.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm
Oh, and he also said they have around $10.2 million in the bank for the facilities plan and want any and all donations they can get now. He mentioned something about partnering with a company (I think he said in healthcare) to help fund the projects, but there was legislation that needed to be worked through first. Forgot the exact details of what he said.
Great news....let's go Cat fans....give until it hurts!

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm

A couple more comments from coach last night...

Two position groups need to be addressed this off-season: QB and LB. .....................… No surprise there.

Mentioned that UW transfer, Amandre Williams, comes to us with a significant amount of playing time under his belt as opposed to Sterk who came with little game experience.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Lydell wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm
A couple more comments from coach last night...

Two position groups need to be addressed this off-season: QB and LB. .....................… No surprise there.

Mentioned that UW transfer, Amandre Williams, comes to us with a significant amount of playing time under his belt as opposed to Sterk who came with little game experience.
That has to be good news about Williams experience level coming in. Experience or not Sterk showed himself to be one hell of a warrior this year and I can't wait to see what more he has to bring this year! Hopefully he gets to play far more injury free.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!