Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7496
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by allcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am

With all of the legal pot stores in the country, one of them could be a sponsor sometime!


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6140
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 am

allcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am
With all of the legal pot stores in the country, one of them could be a sponsor sometime!
Maui Wowie Stadium... I don't think so.


Image

User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 am

I don’t understand why they don’t use about $13 million from the $413 million the school raised? Put that towards an immediate building expansion that will add more seats to Bobcat Stadium, and then just start paying that $13 million back. Also, start selling beer and let’s have another good summer concert. All ways to raise money.


FTG!!

User avatar
D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by D-Wreck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 am
allcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am
With all of the legal pot stores in the country, one of them could be a sponsor sometime!
Maui Wowie Stadium... I don't think so.
On the bright side that would be an all-cash donation!


Image

MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 am
I don’t understand why they don’t use about $13 million from the $413 million the school raised? Put that towards an immediate building expansion that will add more seats to Bobcat Stadium, and then just start paying that $13 million back. Also, start selling beer and let’s have another good summer concert. All ways to raise money.
Because that $13 million was specifically donated to areas that aren't Athletics facilities improvements. They can't just decide to take donated funds and divert it to whatever they want...


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:36 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 am
allcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am
With all of the legal pot stores in the country, one of them could be a sponsor sometime!
Maui Wowie Stadium... I don't think so.
Cat-Kush Stadium ... I do think so. :thumbup: :thumbup:


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Cataholic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 pm

allcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am
With all of the legal pot stores in the country, one of them could be a sponsor sometime!
Not the attention that we need as an institution. It would like putting a red carpet on your field and calling it a playing surface (EWU)😳



St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

I contacted personnel at MSU about a possible sponsor and never got a response so I will throw this out here. I have a friend that is president of a company that sells Volvo Equipment for agriculture, mining and construction. Volvo is a big sponsor of the TV show Gold Rush. When I took him to an MSU game he said it would be the perfect fit for the Cat Gold Rush Game. He arranged some of the celebrities and an equipment display at a Boise State game, it drew a bigger than normal crowd. Here lies the problem, my friend's company does not represent Volvo Equipment in Montana. So feel free to take what you can from this and run with it. I am not in Montana so its a little harder for me to reach out to the Volvo Equipment people in Montana.



User avatar
FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 pm
Location: Montana Territory

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm

St George wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm
I contacted personnel at MSU about a possible sponsor and never got a response so I will throw this out here. I have a friend that is president of a company that sells Volvo Equipment for agriculture, mining and construction. Volvo is a big sponsor of the TV show Gold Rush. When I took him to an MSU game he said it would be the perfect fit for the Cat Gold Rush Game. He arranged some of the celebrities and an equipment display at a Boise State game, it drew a bigger than normal crowd. Here lies the problem, my friend's company does not represent Volvo Equipment in Montana. So feel free to take what you can from this and run with it. I am not in Montana so its a little harder for me to reach out to the Volvo Equipment people in Montana.
Can someone send this directly to Costello & friends?

Our facilities need to be built ASAP.



User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2633
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm

Hell the stadium could be called Washington Bobcat Stadium, I don’t care just make it happen. Costello is running this like he wants it kept a secret, get out in the public and ask for the money.

Some may think it’s going as planned, but if you think Costello is any different than Fields, at this point in the process, your kidding yourself. I hope something changes fast, but I’m not holding my breath.


"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2052
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by AFCAT » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm
St George wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm
I contacted personnel at MSU about a possible sponsor and never got a response so I will throw this out here. I have a friend that is president of a company that sells Volvo Equipment for agriculture, mining and construction. Volvo is a big sponsor of the TV show Gold Rush. When I took him to an MSU game he said it would be the perfect fit for the Cat Gold Rush Game. He arranged some of the celebrities and an equipment display at a Boise State game, it drew a bigger than normal crowd. Here lies the problem, my friend's company does not represent Volvo Equipment in Montana. So feel free to take what you can from this and run with it. I am not in Montana so its a little harder for me to reach out to the Volvo Equipment people in Montana.
Can someone send this directly to Costello & friends?

Our facilities need to be built ASAP.
Here you go. lcostello@msubobcats.com


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Cataholic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Hell the stadium could be called Washington Bobcat Stadium, I don’t care just make it happen. Costello is running this like he wants it kept a secret, get out in the public and ask for the money.

Some may think it’s going as planned, but if you think Costello is any different than Fields, at this point in the process, your kidding yourself. I hope something changes fast, but I’m not holding my breath.
I don’t understand your dislike of Costello. I have met Leon multiple times and he has always been very accommodating. And to raise $10 million in the short time that he has been here is pretty impressive. We did not need $10 million for past projects and it seemed to take a lot longer to raise those funds, including the fact that we had to financing a portion of those past expansions.



User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2633
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Hell the stadium could be called Washington Bobcat Stadium, I don’t care just make it happen. Costello is running this like he wants it kept a secret, get out in the public and ask for the money.

Some may think it’s going as planned, but if you think Costello is any different than Fields, at this point in the process, your kidding yourself. I hope something changes fast, but I’m not holding my breath.
I don’t understand your dislike of Costello. I have met Leon multiple times and he has always been very accommodating. And to raise $10 million in the short time that he has been here is pretty impressive. We did not need $10 million for past projects and it seemed to take a lot longer to raise those funds, including the fact that we had to financing a portion of those past expansions.
Very accommodating and nice guy he may be, but as far as getting out in front of the public he is terrible at. I guarantee you, if you put costello’s face on a billboard 75% of bobcat nation/fans wouldn’t even know who he is. If you put waded on a billboard the exact opposite would happen. When your president gets more pub about athletics than the AD, you have a problem. Hell Fields would be more recognizable than Costello to the public. He needs to get his message and face out more in the public and I don’t think there is any room for argument there, is there? Maybe I’m wrong but he doesn’t do much around Billings or anywhere east of Bozeman for that matter.


"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi-Line, you need to get out more. Leon is very visible and a real proponent for all sports.



gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4078
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by gtapp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Hell the stadium could be called Washington Bobcat Stadium, I don’t care just make it happen. Costello is running this like he wants it kept a secret, get out in the public and ask for the money.

Some may think it’s going as planned, but if you think Costello is any different than Fields, at this point in the process, your kidding yourself. I hope something changes fast, but I’m not holding my breath.
I really like Costello. I think he is going a very good job. Fund raising is tough at MSU. I do agree that he needs to be more transparent with where we are at. My concern is that your biggest impact during fund raising is usually that first year. If we have only $10M after one year it could take a lot longer than we want to get another $5M - $10M. You hit the biggest donors first and yet what we still need is one or two very large donors (similar to the academic donors they have found in the last few years).


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Liberty Lake, WA

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Cat_gld » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Hell the stadium could be called Washington Bobcat Stadium, I don’t care just make it happen. Costello is running this like he wants it kept a secret, get out in the public and ask for the money.

Some may think it’s going as planned, but if you think Costello is any different than Fields, at this point in the process, your kidding yourself. I hope something changes fast, but I’m not holding my breath.
I don’t understand your dislike of Costello. I have met Leon multiple times and he has always been very accommodating. And to raise $10 million in the short time that he has been here is pretty impressive. We did not need $10 million for past projects and it seemed to take a lot longer to raise those funds, including the fact that we had to financing a portion of those past expansions.
Very accommodating and nice guy he may be, but as far as getting out in front of the public he is terrible at. I guarantee you, if you put costello’s face on a billboard 75% of bobcat nation/fans wouldn’t even know who he is. If you put waded on a billboard the exact opposite would happen. When your president gets more pub about athletics than the AD, you have a problem. Hell Fields would be more recognizable than Costello to the public. He needs to get his message and face out more in the public and I don’t think there is any room for argument there, is there? Maybe I’m wrong but he doesn’t do much around Billings or anywhere east of Bozeman for that matter.
Is there ever any room for argument with you? You always seem to have your panties in a wad. Now go take a deep breath!



User avatar
Catfanatic84
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:22 am

I've met Leon once......he was very cordial and engaging. Also, in terms of fundraising, my guess is he's raised more money than any previous AD. (It seems, the south end zone was largely driven by Waded.)

I recommend we continue to give what we can and keep encouraging others to do so....this project will happen, but it will take time.



4thecats
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 am

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by 4thecats » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 am

It's awesome how much this university has raised for academia. I get just as much pride out of hearing the success of our academics and the decline of um as I do winning Cat griz.
That being said. It's an obvious direct correlation that our university is thriving after great amounts of fundraising money allocated to the academic side.
The same thing would happen with the athletic side, not just football.
Bozeman is inundated with wealth. Unfortunately the majority of that wealth doesn't have a clue MSU even exists.



User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by coloradocat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am

4thecats wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 am
It's awesome how much this university has raised for academia. I get just as much pride out of hearing the success of our academics and the decline of um as I do winning Cat griz.
That being said. It's an obvious direct correlation that our university is thriving after great amounts of fundraising money allocated to the academic side.
The same thing would happen with the athletic side, not just football.
Bozeman is inundated with wealth. Unfortunately the majority of that wealth doesn't have a clue MSU even exists.
If the wealthy that live in Bozeman "don't have a clue MSU even exists" it's because they have no connection to the university. I'm not at all wealthy but I've lived in multiple college towns and never once considered donating to the local university, especially the athletic department. I wouldn't pin our hopes on wealthy transplants and I'm guessing we're not.

Funding comes from alumni and local/state-wide corporate partners that recognize the exposure benefits. Athletics funding is likely harder to come by than academics because the donor can see (and has experienced) the real benefits of the academic side whereas sports are generally more of a fun community activity. No rich donor got where they are today because the football team won a conference title.



Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am
4thecats wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 am
It's awesome how much this university has raised for academia. I get just as much pride out of hearing the success of our academics and the decline of um as I do winning Cat griz.
That being said. It's an obvious direct correlation that our university is thriving after great amounts of fundraising money allocated to the academic side.
The same thing would happen with the athletic side, not just football.
Bozeman is inundated with wealth. Unfortunately the majority of that wealth doesn't have a clue MSU even exists.
If the wealthy that live in Bozeman "don't have a clue MSU even exists" it's because they have no connection to the university. I'm not at all wealthy but I've lived in multiple college towns and never once considered donating to the local university, especially the athletic department. I wouldn't pin our hopes on wealthy transplants and I'm guessing we're not.

Funding comes from alumni and local/state-wide corporate partners that recognize the exposure benefits. Athletics funding is likely harder to come by than academics because the donor can see (and has experienced) the real benefits of the academic side whereas sports are generally more of a fun community activity. No rich donor got where they are today because the football team won a conference title.
Post is spot on.



Post Reply