Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:18 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Looks like the goal is to have fundraising done by October.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 0ee79.html
How much work can be done during winter months? Any restrictions due to temperature?
Lots. I had my house built starting in January of 2018, which was the snowiest winter in Helena history, and it got done faster than the first house, which started in April 2006. Same contractor. Not a big factor. There’s always a few days when it’s just unbearable to go outside, but nothing that’s going to cause a huge, several weeks, delay.
Do concrete footings have to be done before a certain period?
My footings were poured last year on December 18th :)


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:43 pm
St George wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm
---The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't
---need anymore roof failures.

Hope they don't make it a concrete roof unless they open a patio bar up there.
If they have any sight into the future they will design the structure and infrastructure so the future levels could be added down the road.
They shouldn’t need to add levels. They do have plans way down the road to construct an adjacent building. They also have a plan to add seating in the end zone abutting the facility.
Those extra levels could possibly feature beer sales and view of the field if they ever allow beer sales in the stadium.



AFCAT
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:41 pm

I saw this paragraph in the Chronicles story on the plan.

“The price tag for the first phase was originally $16 million but increased due to a planning tweak that added square footage to the project. Fundraising more at the start will ultimately cost less than trying to add extra space later on, Costello said.”

It will be interesting to see what the final design looks like.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

AFCAT
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:11 pm



Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3386
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm
---The faster your concrete cures the weaker it is, don't
---need anymore roof failures.

Hope they don't make it a concrete roof unless they open a patio bar up there.
Your foundation holds up the entire structure genius.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6072
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Just thought I'd add this. My brother does concrete for a living (for homes, not football stadiums). He says you can do concrete in the winter but it costs more because you need to heat the ground beforehand and for a while after the concrete is poured. Perhaps that's figured into the $18M cost, who knows.


Image

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:31 am

Currently over $13.5 million has been privately donated to the facility. Has there ever been a sports-related facility in Montana that has received this much private financial support? It’s very cool that MSU student fees aren’t being raised for any of this. I don’t believe they were raised on the 2010 EZ project either.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 am

A little more than my two cents. Until the final design is complete and the project is either bid or negotiated they won't know the price. Final price can be greatly affected by contractor and labor availability. Contractors are not really starving for work these days. Weather can also affect the price (heating the ground for concrete would be just the start, tenting, temporary heat, workers are also slowed down due to the colder temperatures). As for the concrete, there are many different concrete designs (formulas). These designs will include other requirements such as slump, temperature of the concrete (they add ice to concrete in extreme hot weather and mix the concrete with hot water in colder weather) and air content in the concrete (air content is critical in concrete exposed to the elements). There are also additives used in the industry such as plasticizers and accelerators. Altho I'm retired now I was certified as a Concrete Inspector by the American Concrete Institute ACI and have inspected Concrete and Concrete placement in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming as well as Northern Sweden above the Arctic Circle.



User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8649
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 am

The budget is what it is. If they want to start this winter, they'll adjust the plans accordingly.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am

Contractors were used to estimate the price. MSU also has very good, qualified facilities personnel. They’ve constructed several new buildings in the past five years, so they have good experience with every step of this type of project. Contractors, especially those around Bozeman that are MSU grads, are going to make fair bids. It won’t be difficult to find a good contractor.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 am

Jabs Hall, Asbjornsen Hall, student housing, Native American Center, parking garage, re-roofing PE Center, Fieldhouse and probably more just recently. I have complete faith.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by wbtfg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 am
Jabs Hall, Asbjornsen Hall, student housing, Native American Center, parking garage, re-roofing PE Center, Fieldhouse and probably more just recently. I have complete faith.
Multiple new dorms. New cafeteria.



Long Time Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 pm

St George wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 am
A little more than my two cents. Until the final design is complete and the project is either bid or negotiated they won't know the price. Final price can be greatly affected by contractor and labor availability. Contractors are not really starving for work these days. Weather can also affect the price (heating the ground for concrete would be just the start, tenting, temporary heat, workers are also slowed down due to the colder temperatures). As for the concrete, there are many different concrete designs (formulas). These designs will include other requirements such as slump, temperature of the concrete (they add ice to concrete in extreme hot weather and mix the concrete with hot water in colder weather) and air content in the concrete (air content is critical in concrete exposed to the elements). There are also additives used in the industry such as plasticizers and accelerators. Altho I'm retired now I was certified as a Concrete Inspector by the American Concrete Institute ACI and have inspected Concrete and Concrete placement in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming as well as Northern Sweden above the Arctic Circle.
I think we can ignore St. George he is clearly too qualified for this board. 😂😂 Pure speculation is always more entertaining.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:03 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 pm
St George wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 am
A little more than my two cents. Until the final design is complete and the project is either bid or negotiated they won't know the price. Final price can be greatly affected by contractor and labor availability. Contractors are not really starving for work these days. Weather can also affect the price (heating the ground for concrete would be just the start, tenting, temporary heat, workers are also slowed down due to the colder temperatures). As for the concrete, there are many different concrete designs (formulas). These designs will include other requirements such as slump, temperature of the concrete (they add ice to concrete in extreme hot weather and mix the concrete with hot water in colder weather) and air content in the concrete (air content is critical in concrete exposed to the elements). There are also additives used in the industry such as plasticizers and accelerators. Altho I'm retired now I was certified as a Concrete Inspector by the American Concrete Institute ACI and have inspected Concrete and Concrete placement in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming as well as Northern Sweden above the Arctic Circle.
I think we can ignore St. George he is clearly too qualified for this board. 😂😂 Pure speculation is always more entertaining.
Feline AIDS is the no. 1 killer of domestic cats.

It must be fun having a job at a theme park. Except for being under the constant threat of a terrorist attack.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Starting to think people on here know more about concrete and building stuff then they do about what it takes to be a starting QB. Give it up people. Let the contractors and QB’s worry about their jobs.


FTG!!

St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:26 pm
Starting to think people on here know more about concrete and building stuff then they do about what it takes to be a starting QB. Give it up people. Let the contractors and QB’s worry about their jobs.
The title of the thread is Facilities and I did graduate in Engineering. I don't claim to know much about the quarterbacks and I don't comment much on them either. It is summer and this thread gives us something to discuss.



AFCAT
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Just got an e-mail from the Alumni foundation with this artist's conception on the new training facility. Looks a bit different from the images we had been looking at before.

Image


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12595
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Just got an e-mail from the Alumni foundation with this artist's conception on the new training facility. Looks a bit different from the images we had been looking at before.

Image
I’m not sure that’s what it’ll look like, but it’s going to have great curb appeal. It’ll be the best looking exterior on a sports facility in Montana. Huge for recruiting.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Brad_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:36 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Brad_CAT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Just got an e-mail from the Alumni foundation with this artist's conception on the new training facility. Looks a bit different from the images we had been looking at before.

Image
I’m not sure that’s what it’ll look like, but it’s going to have great curb appeal. It’ll be the best looking exterior on a sports facility in Montana. Huge for recruiting.
It’s going to be sweet trust me... :wink:



St George
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by St George » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Brad_CAT wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:14 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Just got an e-mail from the Alumni foundation with this artist's conception on the new training facility. Looks a bit different from the images we had been looking at before.

Image
I’m not sure that’s what it’ll look like, but it’s going to have great curb appeal. It’ll be the best looking exterior on a sports facility in Montana. Huge for recruiting.
It’s going to be sweet trust me... :wink:
Which Architectural firm is doing the design?



Post Reply