Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am
These are uncertain times. Something has to give with the rising cost of tuition and student loan debt. On top of that the potential problem in 10-15 years of low numbers for football as more and more parents aren't letting their kids play, and those who may have played before are opting for other sports due to the dangers of CTE.

If we build we need to make sure we have the money.
MSU is obviously becoming THE flagship university in the state. I'm guessing what is going to happen is that UM will be another satellite school, call it MSU Missoula. They'll still be able to have a sports program but they'll compete at the NAIA level. MSU will continue to grow, and will move up to the FBS in sports within ten years. :-s
KInd of a paraphrase of the Idaho situation where Boise's popualation blew up and Boise State grew past the University of Idaho and into a completely non-competive situation? I don't see um ever fading that far-not in any of our life times.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Our Alumni Foundation is much better managed than theirs; it's incomprehensible to me that they have not turned their foundation over to the Washington, Davidson and Messina Groups for not just guidance but direction. All they need to do is get out of these people's way and swallow their bureaucratic pride for a couple of years and they'll be fine.

Allowing a bunch of lawyers access to sensitive documents is begging for trouble and the ultimate demise of stature. It's as if Montana Power employees went to work over there after what they did to Butte and are now doing to Colstrip...

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 pm

Does anyone know how the financials look for MSU for this same time period? Curious if MSU's athletic reserve is stable?

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm
This really should not be that hard. If 6000 people commit to $1000 over the next 5 years, that would do it. That is only $200 per year. No wonder Choate is frustrated.
This post makes it sound like this fundraising process has been going for 10 years and not making any progress.
It’s been what, 2 years? And we’re over $10 million. That’s pretty solid.

I want to see this stuff happen as much as anyone. But there is a reason why the overall athletics plan is a 20 year plan. This is going to take time, hopefully every 4-5 years something is being done, expecting more than that is probably unreasonable.
One point I am trying to make is that this will go much faster if people make even a relatively modest pledge. In my example above, I am assuming someone can only afford $200 per year. If they send in say, a check for $20 each month, the Foundation can only count that money when each check is received. But if they pledge $1000 over 5 years, the Foundation counts $1000. I just think it should go fairly fast if a number of fans made a pledge over 5 years.
I've audited several not-for-profits in the past. Pledges are almost never recorded in the books because donors and can change their minds and pledges are not enforceable except in a very narrow and rare set of circumstances. Reputable not-for-profits do not record random pledges, which is implied what all us message board fans and even the average season ticket holder would be.
I have been involved with raising relatively large amounts of money for projects and I have found that creativity, energy, and over communication are the key to reaching your goals.

You need a team with energy to drive and keep driving for the goal. Fundraising is NEVER a 1 person deal, but must be a team of focused and "bought in" members who know the score, can shake the bushes and can inspire others to consider giving.

You must keep the vision in front of people. That includes the website stuff, BUT, and here's the key, website information gets buried. This seems to be a bit of what we are discussing in this thread. Sure MSU has a website where people can donate, but there has to be visuals (yes the thermometer kind of thing, or similar) and they need to be seen in several locations. They need to be changed regularly to keep the message fresh. Once you see something over time, you stop seeing it. But, verbal announcements, tv announcements, radio announcements have got to be something that is pursued.

Get creative with fundraising. Whales give out of a sense of legacy. They give to be part of the Uni in this case, but also to imbed their name into the cause. Smaller givers however will give when the mood hits them, OR, when they have a chance to win something....i.e. raffles. Solicit for hunting/fishing packages (I saw one earlier on this very thing), raffle off trips, flights, and meals/packages at Big Sky etc. etc. etc. Get as many of those going at once as you can. Just look at how much people give on a weekend for 50/50 tickets at a game. It begins to add up.

At any rate, yes, we can get there, but there needs to be a concerted effort that is many pronged. My guess is the whales have given to a point, and another few will come in, but, to get to the final goal it will require elbow grease, gumshoe canvasing, and good old excited energy!
My experience is similar to yours....it takes a well laid out plan of attack, tireless energy, clear ownership on multiple fronts, and occasionally you have to reenergize the effort. Communication of your progress is vital. The leader at the top needs to clearly indicate this is important to them...in our case that is Cruzado. The leader has to be visibly involved, not just send out a two paragraph letter at the start. Time and time again when you do look backs on failed efforts it comes back clearly on the shoulders of leadership.

Even if you are approaching people who have a vested interest in making something happen with a fairly large donation we counted on maybe one in four that would contribute. With people kinda interested the numbers are 1 in 10 or less. Everyone on this board is likely highly interested in the stadium and in the higher level of participation mode. But let’s face it, when we get outside our tight “bubble” here on BN......everyone has a lot of non-profits wanting a piece of your money.... whether it be your church, your school fundraiser, your favorite children’s charity, your environmental cause, your political action group, etc. etc. etc., I.e. they all want a piece. And a lot of people often don’t agree with your cause....because perhaps they don’t like supporting athletics, don’t like football but want to support the basketball program or track or volleyball, etc. lot of reasons to say NO rather than YES.

So you mentioned the vision....I think having the right vision that can convince someone that your cause is worthy and should compete with those opportunities for your contribution dollar is critical. Knowing how MSU seems to raise money easily for academics, I try to tell people to look at preponderance of quality young men and women that are in the program. I tell them that at the event recognizing Rhodes Scholar finalists this year there were two former athletes nominated. I try to explain where athletes have to study now at the Brick between workouts and practice and show them the “skimpy at best” study areas....then I explain how when football moves out, the Brick facilities can be remodeled to better accommodate basketball, volleyball and expansion of the study center. I try to get them to come meet some of the great women and men basketball players in FB or 6th man clubs. I guess my point is that you have to help convince donors of the vision and show them why it is important....winning championships is great but developing young women and men for success in life is what I expect of our athletic leaders. These young adults bust their behind day in and day out to represent MSU......and are often the face of the university when traveling around the country.

I love all the kids representing MSU and just wished I had the $100 million to bring the “whole” plan to fruition.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
This really should not be that hard. If 6000 people commit to $1000 over the next 5 years, that would do it. That is only $200 per year. No wonder Choate is frustrated.
This post makes it sound like this fundraising process has been going for 10 years and not making any progress.

I want to see this stuff happen as much as anyone. But there is a reason why the overall athletics plan is a 20 year plan. This is going to take time, hopefully every 4-5 years something is being done, expecting more than that is probably unreasonable.
One point I am trying to make is that this will go much faster if people make even a relatively modest pledge. In my example above, I am assuming someone can only afford $200 per year. If they send in say, a check for $20 each month, the Foundation can only count that money when each check is received. But if they pledge $1000 over 5 years, the Foundation counts $1000. I just think it should go fairly fast if a number of fans made a pledge over 5 years.
I've audited several not-for-profits in the past. Pledges are almost never recorded in the books because donors and can change their minds and pledges are not enforceable except in a very narrow and rare set of circumstances. Reputable not-for-profits do not record random pledges, which is implied what all us message board fans and even the average season ticket holder would be.
I have been involved with raising relatively large amounts of money for projects and I have found that creativity, energy, and over communication are the key to reaching your goals.

You need a team with energy to drive and keep driving for the goal. Fundraising is NEVER a 1 person deal, but must be a team of focused and "bought in" members who know the score, can shake the bushes and can inspire others to consider giving.

You must keep the vision in front of people. That includes the website stuff, BUT, and here's the key, website information gets buried. This seems to be a bit of what we are discussing in this thread. Sure MSU has a website where people can donate, but there has to be visuals (yes the thermometer kind of thing, or similar) and they need to be seen in several locations. They need to be changed regularly to keep the message fresh. Once you see something over time, you stop seeing it. But, verbal announcements, tv announcements, radio announcements have got to be something that is pursued.

Get creative with fundraising. Whales give out of a sense of legacy. They give to be part of the Uni in this case, but also to imbed their name into the cause. Smaller givers however will give when the mood hits them, OR, when they have a chance to win something....i.e. raffles. Solicit for hunting/fishing packages (I saw one earlier on this very thing), raffle off trips, flights, and meals/packages at Big Sky etc. etc. etc. Get as many of those going at once as you can. Just look at how much people give on a weekend for 50/50 tickets at a game. It begins to add up.

At any rate, yes, we can get there, but there needs to be a concerted effort that is many pronged. My guess is the whales have given to a point, and another few will come in, but, to get to the final goal it will require elbow grease, gumshoe canvasing, and good old excited energy!
My experience is similar to yours....it takes a well laid out plan of attack, tireless energy, clear ownership on multiple fronts, and occasionally you have to reenergize the effort. Communication of your progress is vital. The leader at the top needs to clearly indicate this is important to them...in our case that is Cruzado. The leader has to be visibly involved, not just send out a two paragraph letter at the start. Time and time again when you do look backs on failed efforts it comes back clearly on the shoulders of leadership.

Even if you are approaching people who have a vested interest in making something happen with a fairly large donation we counted on maybe one in four that would contribute. With people kinda interested the numbers are 1 in 10 or less. Everyone on this board is likely highly interested in the stadium and in the higher level of participation mode. But let’s face it, when we get outside our tight “bubble” here on BN......everyone has a lot of non-profits wanting a piece of your money.... whether it be your church, your school fundraiser, your favorite children’s charity, your environmental cause, your political action group, etc. etc. etc., I.e. they all want a piece. And a lot of people often don’t agree with your cause....because perhaps they don’t like supporting athletics, don’t like football but want to support the basketball program or track or volleyball, etc. lot of reasons to say NO rather than YES.

So you mentioned the vision....I think having the right vision that can convince someone that your cause is worthy and should compete with those opportunities for your contribution dollar is critical. Knowing how MSU seems to raise money easily for academics, I try to tell people to look at preponderance of quality young men and women that are in the program. I tell them that at the event recognizing Rhodes Scholar finalists this year there were two former athletes nominated. I try to explain where athletes have to study now at the Brick between workouts and practice and show them the “skimpy at best” study areas....then I explain how when football moves out, the Brick facilities can be remodeled to better accommodate basketball, volleyball and expansion of the study center. I try to get them to come meet some of the great women and men basketball players in FB or 6th man clubs. I guess my point is that you have to help convince donors of the vision and show them why it is important....winning championships is great but developing young women and men for success in life is what I expect of our athletic leaders. These young adults bust their behind day in and day out to represent MSU......and are often the face of the university when traveling around the country.

I love all the kids representing MSU and just wished I had the $100 million to bring the “whole” plan to fruition.
:goodpost:

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 pm

I received the “What it took” report today. The report breaks down the universities fundraising campaign for the past eight years. Under the “Bobcat Athletic Complex & Academic Excellence Center” section it lists the following.

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98
Total raised = $6,944,607

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:22 pm
I received the “What it took” report today. The report breaks down the universities fundraising campaign for the past eight years. Under the “Bobcat Athletic Complex & Academic Excellence Center” section it lists the following.

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98
The numbers don't add up. But...

So, you have some big donations,(more than half) and essentially the other half of the next half coming from $1000 givers, and very little of anything else. This shows not that people won't give, but our fundraising for athletics needs help and a re-do!

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:58 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 am
AFCAT wrote:

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98

So, you have some big donations,(more than half) and essentially the other half of the next half coming from $1000 givers, and very little of anything else. This shows not that people won't give, but our fundraising for athletics needs help and a re-do!
This doesn't surprise me...considering they've not pushed the smaller ($999 & under) donor base yet. If I remember correctly, there were only 700-800 donors for the south end-zone.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:58 am
catsrback76 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98

This doesn't surprise me...considering they've not pushed the smaller ($999 & under) donor base yet. If I remember correctly, there were only 700-800 donors for the south end-zone.
95% of funding will come from the top category. That is why they are focused on that category. It is no surprise and consistent with normal fund raising drives.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98

95% of funding will come from the top category. That is why they are focused on that category. It is no surprise and consistent with normal fund raising drives.
I think the sad part is that only around 100 people have donated to this project in the 18 months that it has been active. The good part is that they have close to $7 mil. Hopefully, there will be great big donation coming in May or June.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am

I thought they had over $10,000,000.00.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am
I thought they had over $10,000,000.00.
I've heard Costello say that we have over $11,000,000 - including cash on hand and pledges.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am
Cataholic wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98

I think the sad part is that only around 100 people have donated to this project in the 18 months that it has been active. The good part is that they have close to $7 mil. Hopefully, there will be great big donation coming in May or June.
That's a little frustrating, but it's pretty typical. It's always frustrating to think that only a few people are giving to a project, but the reality is that you're only going to find a small number of people who are currently giving at a point that stretches them, THEN give some more for a special project. The goal, as has been previously mentioned, is to get your biggest donors to give leadership gifts that inspire other people. That's who you go after, 100%, before you go after "normal" people. You want the campaign to be something people don't know a ton about so they become interested. You want it to be the worst kept secret in town while you're sitting down, in person, with people who could give seven-figure gifts. You talk to them about legacy and naming rights and feed their ego. After that is when you do the visuals like the thermometer. The "whales" don't care about a thermometer. You put the thermometer out once you've gone fully public with it so that the smaller donors see that it's 80% full and the final goal seems very attainable.

The problem here is that it's not just some vague thing that people are just hearing bits and pieces about. Normal people know a lot about it and they've been interested for a long time--to the point that many are getting frustrated or losing interest. Also, it seems Coach Choate is a little frustrated with the progress too. I'm reading between the lines here, but that's the impression I'm getting, so you're not wrong to be discouraged. I'm sure everybody hoped for more and thought we'd be further along at this point than we are. Montana doesn't fit a lot of national models, so we don't have much to compare to. We can compare to UM, but MSU doesn't have a Dennis Washington. I'd be curious to know how giving to the universities (particularly to the football programs) compares when you subtract Washington.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am
Cataholic wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Donors $25K+ = 55
Donors $1K-$24,999 = 21
Donors $999 & under = 25
Total donors = 98

That's a little frustrating, but it's pretty typical. It's always frustrating to think that only a few people are giving to a project, but the reality is that you're only going to find a small number of people who are currently giving at a point that stretches them, THEN give some more for a special project. The goal, as has been previously mentioned, is to get your biggest donors to give leadership gifts that inspire other people. That's who you go after, 100%, before you go after "normal" people. You want the campaign to be something people don't know a ton about so they become interested. You want it to be the worst kept secret in town while you're sitting down, in person, with people who could give seven-figure gifts. You talk to them about legacy and naming rights and feed their ego. After that is when you do the visuals like the thermometer. The "whales" don't care about a thermometer. You put the thermometer out once you've gone fully public with it so that the smaller donors see that it's 80% full and the final goal seems very attainable.

The problem here is that it's not just some vague thing that people are just hearing bits and pieces about. Normal people know a lot about it and they've been interested for a long time--to the point that many are getting frustrated or losing interest. Also, it seems Coach Choate is a little frustrated with the progress too. I'm reading between the lines here, but that's the impression I'm getting, so you're not wrong to be discouraged. I'm sure everybody hoped for more and thought we'd be further along at this point than we are. Montana doesn't fit a lot of national models, so we don't have much to compare to. We can compare to UM, but MSU doesn't have a Dennis Washington. I'd be curious to know how giving to the universities (particularly to the football programs) compares when you subtract Washington.
There's another issue that hasn't been talked about, and that's donor "fatigue". This happens when a fundraising campaign languishes and goes on ad nauseam. MSU does NOT have donor fatigue, but it is likely waiting to bang the drum so to speak. That said, you can get a reverse action too, after having heard there is a campaign and little aggressive action is taken, people stop listening because they are tired of the "silent phase"!

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 am

I'm wondering if the third Brawl of the Wild win in a row helps this effort at all? Appears every sport is improving. Even men's b-ball, despite the loss last night to the Griz, is on an upward trajectory. Donors like to give to winning programs, so I would think another BOTW win helps.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 am

The master plan for the stadium was only released back in September of 2017. I’d be interested to see how much of the $10 million has been raised since then. Seems like it picked up after that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:13 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:

Couldn't have said it any better!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Romney renovation finally passed the Legislature. I truly and honestly believe Montana Hall couldn't get out in front on athletic facility improvements until this got done...and it took 5 sessions and 10 years! Now of course there's the whole PE Center gyms to throw a wrench in the works. One thing's for sure-getting up and down Grant Street is going to be really interesting in the years to come.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... n=bozchron

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:07 am

Anyone hearing anything regarding the Athletic Facilities? I was hoping we might see an announcement this spring....but lately it's been crickets.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:39 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:07 am
Anyone hearing anything regarding the Athletic Facilities? I was hoping we might see an announcement this spring....but lately it's been crickets.
Listening to choate speak in Billings last month, gave me the impression that the funding has become a little stagnant. I also got the feeling that choate was a little frustrated with the funding efforts and seemed to be accepting of the fact that this isn’t happening anytime soon. Could have took his comments and read his body language incorrectly, but it’s the sense I got leaving the speaking engagement.

If your left, you aren’t right.