James Williams?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

James Williams?

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am



Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 am

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am


Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.
I knew there were concerns he was homesick last fall and was struggling being away from family. He's very close to his mother. It wouldn't be for a lack of playing time. James is projected to be a starter. If we do lose him, it sucks. But James needs to do what's right for James. His father passed away in the Fall of 2017 and then he came to Bozeman half a year later. It may just be the right thing for him to go closer to home.

Also, if we lose him to a FBS school, I would not be surprised. Yeah transfer portal!


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am


Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.
I knew there were concerns he was homesick last fall and was struggling being away from family. He's very close to his mother. It wouldn't be for a lack of playing time. James is projected to be a starter. If we do lose him, it sucks. But James needs to do what's right for James. His father passed away in the Fall of 2017 and then he came to Bozeman half a year later. It may just be the right thing for him to go closer to home.

Also, if we lose him to a FBS school, I would not be surprised. Yeah transfer portal!
Vim, as always, thanks for the insight. The transfer portal is turning into something I feared. The impact on FCS programs could be huge.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:49 am

If James has decided to transfer, here is MSU's defensive line depth:

My projected starters -

DE - Derek Marks (Sr.)
DT - Chase Benson (Jr.)
NT - Seer Deines (Rfr.)
Buck - Bryce Sterk (Sr.)

Projected depth -

DE - Marcus Ferriter (Sr.)/Byron Rollins (So.)/Bryce Barker (Sr.)
DT - Kyle Rygg (So.)
NT - Travis Yates (So.)
Buck - Kyle Finch (Jr.) or Amandre Williams (Jr.)

Amandre may also play WLB. So yeah...this would definitely put a dent in our depth at the nose tackle position. Deines, Yates, and Rygg will have to step up big time next year.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:55 am

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am


Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.
I knew there were concerns he was homesick last fall and was struggling being away from family. He's very close to his mother. It wouldn't be for a lack of playing time. James is projected to be a starter. If we do lose him, it sucks. But James needs to do what's right for James. His father passed away in the Fall of 2017 and then he came to Bozeman half a year later. It may just be the right thing for him to go closer to home.

Also, if we lose him to a FBS school, I would not be surprised. Yeah transfer portal!
Vim, as always, thanks for the insight. The transfer portal is turning into something I feared. The impact on FCS programs could be huge.
But again though, I was hearing stuff about Williams last fall during the season. I will continue to say this, it is the responsibility of the coaching staff recruiting these kids to understand their personalities and have a "read" on how they should develop. That last recruiting visit class of 2018 included Koby Duru, Mehki Metcalf, James Williams, Malik Putney, Donny Long, and Isaiah Ifanse. Ifanse was obviously the star of the class but the rest have turned into misses.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Member # Retired
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: James Williams?

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 am

I know it's not funny, but if the TCU rumor finally does come true, I will chuckle a decent amount.



FTG247365
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 am

He is an impact player if he stays and impacts our depth if he leaves.



User avatar
mslacatfan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am

Man, I hope this is not true...


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
Man, I hope this is not true...
Likely is.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: James Williams?

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
Man, I hope this is not true...
Likely is.
Maybe we need to focus on the PNW for recruits and not go so far away.



User avatar
RobertCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Conrad, MT

Re: James Williams?

Post by RobertCats » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am

Image
Last edited by RobertCats on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
Man, I hope this is not true...
Likely is.
Maybe we need to focus on the PNW for recruits and not go so far away.
Well...I think it depends on a variety of factors: family structure, climate, college culture, team culture, team scheme. Tyrell Burgess and James Campbell are from Florida and love it up here. We will add Hosey and Smith from Texas to the team next fall as freshman but James would be the final kid from Texas remaining on the roster going into Spring ball. Personally, I would continue to find speed in places like Texas, Florida, California (different climates).


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1733
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 am

Wouldn’t that be around ten recruits from last year that would be gone? That can’t be good for a program if this continues into future classes. I hope it’s an aberration.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact - Stacy Radke
E-mail stacy.radke@msuaf.org
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7674
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:37 am

Re: James Williams?

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am

Ughhhhh, this is kind of alarming now.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9305
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: James Williams?

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 am

This would be a huge blow to the second hardest hit group from graduation on the team (TE being 1st).


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 am
This would be a huge blow to the second hardest hit group from graduation on the team (TE being 1st).
Currently bringing in two freshman defensive tackle recruits: Tua Areta and Blake Schmidt. As stated above, here is the current depth:

If James has decided to transfer, here is MSU's defensive line depth:

My projected starters -

DE - Derek Marks (Sr.)
DT - Chase Benson (Jr.)
NT - Seer Deines (Rfr.)
Buck - Bryce Sterk (Sr.)

Projected depth -

DE - Marcus Ferriter (Sr.)/Byron Rollins (So.)/Bryce Barker (Sr.)
DT - Kyle Rygg (So.)
NT - Travis Yates (So.)
Buck - Kyle Finch (Jr.) or Amandre Williams (Jr.)

Depth is a MAJOR concern right now in my opinion. Choate will obviously have to go after a few transfers.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3808
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by MSU01 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Like it or not, welcome to the Transfer Portal Era. Best of luck to James if he is moving on!


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25

User avatar
mslacatfan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am
Ughhhhh, this is kind of alarming now.

agreed.... WTF is going on?

two 3 star recruits and a 2 star recruit (if memory serves me correctly), all leaving within a couple days of each other...…… granted the star ranking thing is over-rated... but there is no denying that these were 3 highly regarded recruits....


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: James Williams?

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am
Ughhhhh, this is kind of alarming now.

agreed.... WTF is going on?

two 3 star recruits and a 2 star recruit (if memory serves me correctly), all leaving within a couple days of each other...…… granted the star ranking thing is over-rated... but there is no denying that these were 3 highly regarded recruits....
And all three are leaving/possibly leaving for different reasons.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9305
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: James Williams?

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 pm

2018 Recruits:

Blake Allred, FB - Transferred out
Ryan Barkley, OL
Seer Deines, DL
Koby Duru, WR - Transferred out
Greg Filer III, CB
Isaiah Ifanse, RB
Donny Long, OL - Gone (never made it?)
Mekhi Metcalf, WR - Transferred out
Treyton Pickering, TE
Malik Putney, S - Never made it
Sherod White, TB - Gone (never made it?)
James Williams, NT - Rumored to be transferring out
Nolan Askelson, LB
*Jory Choate, LB
Mark Estes, WR
Logan Kleinhans, WR
Joe McElroy, OL
Lane Sumner, RB
Kaleb Winterburn, DB
Casey Bauman, QB
Justin Cauley, RB
Ty'Rese Gibson, DB
Ty'Rhae Gibson, DB
Derryk Snell, TE
Ruben Beltran, QB

Transfers:
Tristan Bailey, K
Travis Jonsen, QB
Tyler Natee, RB - Retired for medical reasons
Bryce Sterk, DL
Dante Sparaco - Transferred out
Maleek Barkley - Gone

EDITED - to add Sparaco, Beltran and Barkley
Last edited by CelticCat on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

Post Reply