Players Gone From 2018 Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Players Gone From 2018 Team

Post by utucats » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm
Well I know Choate is not happy at all with this rule, and while he is insanely competitive and really really wants to win, I also sincerely believe he puts the players first and does not believe this is good for them. That's it.
I think Choate is trying to turn his players into quality men. I think part of that is teaching someone to honor their commitments.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:54 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Many employers offer moving packages or sign on bonuses with a policy that you are expected to stay for a certain amount of time or you have to payback a portion of that money.
College football players receive neither of those. The idea that kids should have to pay back a scholarship for a year they played, when schools only commit to them for a year at a time, is beyond ludicrous.
utucats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t like creating a system that rewards quitting.
They didn't. They created a system that allows quitting. Which is only fair, since a coach can quit on a player (either by leaving the school or cutting the player) any time he wants.
The idea is not ludicrous. You might not agree with it but that doesn’t mean it has no merit. 95% of first year players contribute very little to the team. The scholarship money they receive is an investment in hoping the player will develop into a contributor. If they leave before that investment has an opportunity to payoff for the program then they accepted money without holding up their end of the bargain.

I don’t want them to pay anything back but I do think they should be out a year and lose that year of eligibility if they transfer.

I think the comparison between coaches and players is baseless. When a coach is hired it is understood that he may leave at some point for any number of reasons. Nobody puts a player on scholarship with the expectation that they will leave after their freshman year.

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:28 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:54 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:09 pm
Many employers offer moving packages or sign on bonuses with a policy that you are expected to stay for a certain amount of time or you have to payback a portion of that money.
College football players receive neither of those. The idea that kids should have to pay back a scholarship for a year they played, when schools only commit to them for a year at a time, is beyond ludicrous.
utucats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:07 pm
I don’t like creating a system that rewards quitting.
They didn't. They created a system that allows quitting. Which is only fair, since a coach can quit on a player (either by leaving the school or cutting the player) any time he wants.
The idea is not ludicrous. You might not agree with it but that doesn’t mean it has no merit. 95% of first year players contribute very little to the team. The scholarship money they receive is an investment in hoping the player will develop into a contributor. If they leave before that investment has an opportunity to payoff for the program then they accepted money without holding up their end of the bargain.

I don’t want them to pay anything back but I do think they should be out a year and lose that year of eligibility if they transfer.

I think the comparison between coaches and players is baseless. When a coach is hired it is understood that he may leave at some point for any number of reasons. Nobody puts a player on scholarship with the expectation that they will leave after their freshman year.
They lose there freshman year, and in most cases when they transfer they lose another year of eligibility. So what about fbs drop downs should they have to sit a year? What about coaches yanking scholarships after a year or two?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Choate and I rapped about this some more on Tootell and Nuanez a few weeks ago:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:37 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 pm
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... keyes-2019

Let the kids transfer wherever they want. They capped the number of kids that could be on scholarship to 85 because teams like Alabama would recruit well over a 100 kids, put them on scholarship not to have them contribute but to keep them from the other teams.
As long as a coach (or AD) can yank a scholarship, or even cut a kid, it doesn't make much sense to restrict transferring.
Disagree. These schools are investing in these kids and just allowing them to walk without penalty seems like a bad message to me. When a pro makes a commitment he can’t just walk without talking the team into releasing or trading him.
Well which is more important, his commitment to his collegiate team, or his ability to attend a school of his choice? For many kids, this is how they get schooling paid for. By telling a kid he can't go play football somewhere else, you are impacting the rest of his life because now his educational options are much more limited.
The kid did get to attend the school of their choice, the first time they picked it!

I do agree that kids should be able to transfer if they need to, but there also needs to be some kind of limitation on it or it's going to turn into a total free-for-all where coaches have no idea who they've got or what positions they need, until very deep into the recruiting year.
How about a limit on the time the portal is open? I’m sure there are problems with this, but limit the time a player can enter his name into the portal to just the Fall semester. Change the scholarships to six month timeframes. If a person enters their name in the portal during the Fall semester, their scholarship ends at the end of that semester. No more having a player that wants to explore his options at other schools taking scholarship money during the Spring semester. If that player doesn’t get other offers and decides to return, then the scholarship money may be reinstated. That makes a consequence for their actions and still gives them freedom to leave. Just brainstorming. This isn’t a perfect idea.
That's a good idea!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 pm

Once an athlete decides to transfer and is added to the database, any coach can contact the athlete. The process is now in the hands of athletes–past situations where universities blocked talented players from leaving are no longer permissible. However, schools are now allowed to cancel the scholarships of players at the end of the semester in which they expressed their intent to transfer.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... rules-list

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 am

Does anyone know if the Cats have ever blocked a kid from transferring if the really wanted to? I believe a kid should have the right to transfer but they should talk to their coaches first. They are still kids and letting them skip the uncomfortable step of talking to the coaches makes it too easy to make a split second decision.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 am

technoCat wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 am
Does anyone know if the Cats have ever blocked a kid from transferring if the really wanted to? I believe a kid should have the right to transfer but they should talk to their coaches first. They are still kids and letting them skip the uncomfortable step of talking to the coaches makes it too easy to make a split second decision.
This is spot on to my opinion. While I like that the school can't block a kid from transferring, they most definitely should have to have that conversation with the coach first. you never know, the coach might know a fit for the kid or would help with the process, but the thanking everyone from twitter age is absolute BS. I also think its fair to let the school yank schollys of kids who enter the portal, I like the rule for the most part aside from the fore mentioned above, but it's a concerning reflection of this day and age where all our interaction is on social media. Super ironic/hypocritical I guess for a guy to rant about social media, using a platform that help create social media... But it's definitely not how I ever imagined the future would play out.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Let the kids transfer wherever they want. They capped the number of kids that could be on scholarship to 85 because teams like Alabama would recruit well over a 100 kids, put them on scholarship not to have them contribute but to keep them from the other teams.
As long as a coach (or AD) can yank a scholarship, or even cut a kid, it doesn't make much sense to restrict transferring.
My point exactly! At least the powers that be understand the need for Full Cost of Attendance and stipends for the student-athletes and now affording the kids an opportunity to go elsewhere before their eligibility is depleted is a step in the right direction.

One other item I'd like to see eliminated at the podunk level is partial scholarships. Just one more carrot dangling on a stick that is an unnecessary enticement to kids.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

My point exactly! At least the powers that be understand the need for Full Cost of Attendance and stipends for the student-athletes and now affording the kids an opportunity to go elsewhere before their eligibility is depleted is a step in the right direction.

One other item I'd like to see eliminated at the podunk level is partial scholarships. Just one more carrot dangling on a stick that is an unnecessary enticement to kids.
Partial schollies are a good thing for FCS! At this level, you're only allotted 63 scholarships for 100+ guys on the football team. Being allowed to split some of those among several players spreads financial assistance to more kids and increases the talent level (depth) of the team.
Why do you think they are a bad thing?

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Noted FBS max scholies is 85 and NO partials. FCS is 63 and partials allowed however, no more than total of 85 on scholarship.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Partial schollies are a good thing for FCS! At this level, you're only allotted 63 scholarships for 100+ guys on the football team. Being allowed to split some of those among several players spreads financial assistance to more kids and increases the talent level (depth) of the team.
Why do you think they are a bad thing?
The fact that CG thinks it’s a bad idea pretty much solidifies my opinion that it’s a really good thing. Unnecessary enticement? Giving more kids scholarship help is a bad thing? :roll:

GO CATS GO!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Good luck kid! Going to miss your spunk.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

This seems pretty late now that they are into spring drills. Next Man UP!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm
Pretty sure coaches were aware this was a high possibility.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm

kwcat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Yeah hopefully he kept them informed. I'm happy players can transfer, but man it can also throw a wrench on trying to create your starting lineup and depth on the team. We are just going to have to get used to it going forward. I guess it can work the other way too on transfers coming to MSU.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

A lot of this had to do with James' mother getting to watch him play. MSU and James tried to make it work but going to a spot closer to home seems like the best option for both sides going forward (MSU can move forward with getting his spot filled).

Playing devil's advocate, watch him go to the East coast...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 pm

I’ll be surprised if he is the last one. :|

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:16 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm
kwcat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Yeah hopefully he kept them informed. I'm happy players can transfer, but man it can also throw a wrench on trying to create your starting lineup and depth on the team. We are just going to have to get used to it going forward. I guess it can work the other way too on transfers coming to MSU.
I know it's been discussed ad nauseam, however I am not a fan of the new "portal". James case seems to be a positive example though. I didn't like the new chevy in 1988 but by the mid 90's they were everywhere. #-o
Once again, good luck kid, enjoyed having you at MSU.