Jeff Choate press conference January 11

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff Choate press conference January 11

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm
seataccat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm
It s interesting that Choate said CM would not be getting a lot of reps in the spring. I would think a healthy, older CM would easily be the front runner for the starting job. Maybe he said that to motivate all involved with the competition. I know nothing about QB evaluation or what kind of offense coach Miller wants to run but I cannot imagine Rovig or Bauman being a better starting option than Chris unless they really have made some off season strides. I suppose we shall see.
Last spring CM was easily the front runner and got the vast majority of the reps but in the end wasn't eligible. Coach Choate won't give CM many if any reps at QB until he is 'cleared' by the NCAA. After all, there are only so many practice reps available before we play Texas Tech, and between Rovig, Bauman, Beltran, possibly TA, and possibly a transfer we don't know about there isn't enough reps to give to CM until the NCAA says he's officially back.
Last spring CM was easily the front runner because he had been the starting QB for the previous 1.5 seasons and the only competition was a RS FR that had never seen the field and was still somewhat unknown. I assume the offense was still largely tailored to the former Big Sky Freshman of the Year and player that had or was well on his way to breaking multiple school records.

This spring will likely be different. If Choate and MM are as high on Rovig/Bauman/Beltran as they say they are I would assume they'll be implementing a system that puts them (probably in that order) in the best position to succeed. That system will be different than what has been run for the last three years. That, combined with Murray missing an entire year of football, will likely put him in 3rd place at best whenever he takes his first step onto the practice field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm
It s interesting that Choate said CM would not be getting a lot of reps in the spring. I would think a healthy, older CM would easily be the front runner for the starting job. Maybe he said that to motivate all involved with the competition. I know nothing about QB evaluation or what kind of offense coach Miller wants to run but I cannot imagine Rovig or Bauman being a better starting option than Chris unless they really have made some off season strides. I suppose we shall see.
He said it’s because of grades and they need to wait until May to see where CM finishes after the spring semester.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 am

I was not that high on Rovig during the season. I thought he floated a lot of those passes he completed and only saw success due to the weak secondary he faced BUT I love hearing from Choate that he is working his ass off. I like to see effort payoff and if Rovig outworks the competition, including Bauman(who I was high on), then I say give him the job.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 am
I was not that high on Rovig during the season. I thought he floated a lot of those passes he completed and only saw success due to the weak secondary he faced BUT I love hearing from Choate that he is working his ass off. I like to see effort payoff and if Rovig outworks the competition, including Bauman(who I was high on), then I say give him the job.

Outperforms*

Hard work is important, very important. But I want the guy who performs the best. Hopefully that's the same guy that works the hardest, but that doesn't always happen.

six--man
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by six--man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for the info- yes Chapman and Natee will be missed, great that Jabarri is coming back and Rovig can show what he has. I wonder who will fill the fullback role now- for short yardage, Brott- TE worked last year

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

Hard work is important, very important. But I want the guy who performs the best. Hopefully that's the same guy that works the hardest, but that doesn't always happen.
I agree but performance matters come gametime. You put in the work to earn the job and then we start measuring performance. Hopefully the hard work leads to quality performances but I agree that isn’t always the case. I think the work put in should lead to getting the opportunity to start that first game though.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 am

six--man wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am
Thanks for the info- yes Chapman and Natee will be missed, great that Jabarri is coming back and Rovig can show what he has. I wonder who will fill the fullback role now- for short yardage, Brott- TE worked last year
I would venture a healthy RJ Fitzgerald might fit the bill.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

I agree but performance matters come gametime. You put in the work to earn the job and then we start measuring performance. Hopefully the hard work leads to quality performances but I agree that isn’t always the case. I think the work put in should lead to getting the opportunity to start that first game though.
If a coach has a guy who works twice as hard as his competitor, but his competitor is better in practice, guess who's starting? The guy who performs.

Some of the hardest workers on the team are walk ons who aren't talented enough to play. Their hard work does not mean that they should start. This isn't little kids sports...these coaches are paid to win games, and if they don't win games, they're gone. They're going to play whoever performs the best (in most cases), as they should.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 am
utucats wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

If a coach has a guy who works twice as hard as his competitor, but his competitor is better in practice, guess who's starting? The guy who performs.

Some of the hardest workers on the team are walk ons who aren't talented enough to play. Their hard work does not mean that they should start. This isn't little kids sports...these coaches are paid to win games, and if they don't win games, they're gone. They're going to play whoever performs the best (in most cases), as they should.

:D

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

I think you might be missing my point which is probably my fault for making it unclear.

Of course if you have a hard worker that is 5’2’’ and 120 lbs you probably don’t start him at LB over anyone cause size and natural talent are obviously going to trump work ethic in that instance but with our QBs that is not the case.

By all accounts the QBs are fairly close when it comes to ability. Each has some unique skill sets. I’ve been hoping that Bauman was the QB of the future due to his size and arm strength but I believe that the difference in skill set is close enough that I’d err towards giving the nod to the guy who works the hardest for it. I’m a proponent of people earning their position and so if the margin is close enough, which I believe our QBs are, then I think Bauman better get after it cause it sounds like Rovig is working hard for the job.

If somehow Bauman catches up, earns the job through hard work, and has a stellar year much of the credit should go to Rovig for pushing him hard in the off season.

If you don’t reward work ethic then there would be little need for a player with gifts to buckle down when he sees his competition putting in the time.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Performing the best is earning it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm

utucats wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

I think you might be missing my point which is probably my fault for making it unclear.

Of course if you have a hard worker that is 5’2’’ and 120 lbs you probably don’t start him at LB over anyone cause size and natural talent are obviously going to trump work ethic in that instance but with our QBs that is not the case.

By all accounts the QBs are fairly close when it comes to ability. Each has some unique skill sets. I’ve been hoping that Bauman was the QB of the future due to his size and arm strength but I believe that the difference in skill set is close enough that I’d err towards giving the nod to the guy who works the hardest for it. I’m a proponent of people earning their position and so if the margin is close enough, which I believe our QBs are, then I think Bauman better get after it cause it sounds like Rovig is working hard for the job.

If somehow Bauman catches up, earns the job through hard work, and has a stellar year much of the credit should go to Rovig for pushing him hard in the off season.

If you don’t reward work ethic then there would be little need for a player with gifts to buckle down when he sees his competition putting in the time.
How do you know Bauman isn’t working just as hard, or harder, than Rovig? How do you know the reason Rovig is working hard is because he saw Bauman working hard? Frankly, I don’t care who works hardest, whoever is better wins.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm
utucats wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Outperforms*

How do you know Bauman isn’t working just as hard, or harder, than Rovig? How do you know the reason Rovig is working hard is because he saw Bauman working hard? Frankly, I don’t care who works hardest, whoever is better wins.
I know based on Choate’s comments.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:05 pm

TG is gone, it's over, and its nobody's business but TG's. Get your own life and quit worrying about other people's lives.
I could give two $hits about "other people's lives". What I worry about is our program going forward.

And whether the reality of it makes you feel warm & fuzzy or not, it is our business. You seem to believe that sweeping all this under the rug will be okay. What I am saying is that is incorrect.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:14 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

TG is gone, it's over, and its nobody's business but TG's. Get your own life and quit worrying about other people's lives.
I could give two $hits about "other people's lives". What I worry about is our program going forward.

And whether the reality of it makes you feel warm & fuzzy or not, it is our business. You seem to believe that sweeping all this under the rug will be okay. What I am saying is that is incorrect.
Not saying true or not, but.....
Affairs aren't illegal, but assault would be.
However, it is detrimental to coaching a team with rumors of it floating around.
So if true, oops. You're fired.
If it's not, something else is what happened.
So what. Next topic please.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 pm

He owes us. He should have no private life. Do you realize what this does to me. If he would have been hired somewhere else, I would still hate him. Where is his loyalty to me after all This is my team and we rescued the guy after being shoved out the door in Missoula. I'm not sure if I covered all of the reasons we can drag him further down, feel free to add to this.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:49 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 pm

You are off your rocker. You are not entitled to know the private life of anyone, public employee or not. If something illegal happened that’s another matter, but if it’s what you say it is then there is no reason it should be public. This isn’t TMZ dude.

We should find out so we can publicly shame them? Wow.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Maybe sit a few plays out, and trust that our defense is going to be damn good for years. If we lost Choate tomorrow, I'd be concerned. With Jeff Choate in charge - we are building something special, with TG or without him.

Would you feel a lot better about this whole thing if TG was let go because he did something really, really bad?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:28 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 pm

The harsh truth is we will miss Gregorak & our program will struggle to overcome this. I would be lying to myself if I said I believe Ioane will be as good of recruiter & DC as who we lost.
I disagree. We will not miss Gregorak. I don't believe Gregorak has ever been known for great recruiting skills while at MSU. I believe Kane has been credited with being a good recruiter. I also believe that you will be pleasantly surprised when our 2019 defense is better than any Gregorak produced for us even with our losses on the D line.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.