Jeff Choate press conference January 11

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Jeff Choate press conference January 11

Post by The MICKSTER » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:47 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 am
Really liked hearing Choate say that Rovig is a man on a mission right now and that he is really excited about our QB situation. I’m with those who love listening to Choate’s press conferences. He is a very engaging guy.
Me too! 8)
So with Coach Choate emphasizing his excitement regarding the current QB situation/competition, what are the chances of a transfer QB being on the roster come summer/fall?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:57 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm
I love these press conferences. My only request is to get a mic for those asking questions.
I second the motion. All in favor say aye!
Aye!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Really liked hearing Choate say that Rovig is a man on a mission right now and that he is really excited about our QB situation. I’m with those who love listening to Choate’s press conferences. He is a very engaging guy.
Me too! 8)
So with Coach Choate emphasizing his excitement regarding the current QB situation/competition, what are the chances of a transfer QB being on the roster come summer/fall?
I think with Coach, he has always indicated a willingness to throw competition into any room at any time. That said, if he can pick up a transfer who adds value to the team/room he will bring in another QB, but he sounds far more comfortable about his QB options now, than he ever has as our Coach. I genuinely think he is excited to see a more diverse Offense on the field next season under a Qb who has throwing skills!

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

I think he said that they would target a high school qb if they find one they can get excited about. They weren’t just going to sign one to say they signed one.

catsack

Post by catsack » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Me too! 8)
I think with Coach, he has always indicated a willingness to throw competition into any room at any time. That said, if he can pick up a transfer who adds value to the team/room he will bring in another QB, but he sounds far more comfortable about his QB options now, than he ever has as our Coach. I genuinely think he is excited to see a more diverse Offense on the field next season under a Qb who has throwing skills!
I wouldn’t count TA out as QB yet!!

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
I love these press conferences. My only request is to get a mic for those asking questions.
Aye!
Aye!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am

catsack wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Me too! 8)
I wouldn’t count TA out as QB yet!!
Aye Aye!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 am

He already signed a HS QB.....Thelan!

2024 Resume dominance

bpcats20

Post by bpcats20 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Same answer- if they found a high school qb that they really liked and could recruit and sign him they will. If they don’t find one that they really really like Choate said they are fine with the qbs on the current roster.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm

I feel really good about the QB's on the roster. Baumen or Rovig both have huge potential, I think either one can be great. Beltran is a wild card. sounds like murray will most likely be back, and if that's the case, will obviously make a huge push to reclaim the starting spot....

and if all else fails, just give it to Troy again (who just so happened to be Big Sky First Team as a QB last year, ha)…. I hope he is able to focus on LB though.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm

If Murray truly does come back for spring ball (I think he needs to be there in spring if he has any chance of competing at QB), then you move Troy from QB 100%. Because Murray can do a lot of the same things Troy can, but is a better passer. If you want to run a similar offense, Murray would be the best choice in this case, and you can use Andersen in the backfield and at LB.

I hope that we start to go away from the QB run because he can't pass offense, but wouldn't be upset if Murray is the guy next year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm
If Murray truly does come back for spring ball (I think he needs to be there in spring if he has any chance of competing at QB), then you move Troy from QB 100%. Because Murray can do a lot of the same things Troy can, but is a better passer. If you want to run a similar offense, Murray would be the best choice in this case, and you can use Andersen in the backfield and at LB.

I hope that we start to go away from the QB run because he can't pass offense, but wouldn't be upset if Murray is the guy next year.
Murray at RB

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Murray at RB
If it's a question that involves them both, you have to put Troy at RB.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Murray will get very few reps this Spring until he can prove he'll be academically eligible. He appears to be doing all the right things up to this point since his dismissal from the team/MSU, but until and unless he 'clears' all the NCAA hopes he needs to Coach Choate won't be giving him many if any reps at QB IMHO. I wish CM all the luck going forward with school and football.

IF Murray does make it back and becomes eligible, I don't know who I would bet on to be our starting QB (between Murray, Rovig, Bauman, Beltran). Murray could easily be the favorite, but the way Choate talks about Rovig along with how others have commented on how Bauman can throw it.....it likely would be very competitive. Also, if Murray is back on the team I agree with others who say TA would NOT be the QB. IF we have Murray & Jonsen on offense we don't need another wildcat QB who plays full time at LB. However, no matter who is our starting QB, TA will get some, maybe quite a few, opportunities at RB. GO CATS!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm

I mean my scenario assumes a lot - that Murray #1 comes back in time for spring practice, and #2 beats out Tucker Rovig and Casey Bauman. I'd put the likelihood of that happening pretty low, but not out of the question.

But yes if Murray is anointed the starter, Troy would/should be heavily involved in the offense, moreso than if a guy like Rovig wins the job, because that means we will once again feature a QB run offense, and we'll need Troy back there with his breakaway ability more than we would otherwise.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm

It s interesting that Choate said CM would not be getting a lot of reps in the spring. I would think a healthy, older CM would easily be the front runner for the starting job. Maybe he said that to motivate all involved with the competition. I know nothing about QB evaluation or what kind of offense coach Miller wants to run but I cannot imagine Rovig or Bauman being a better starting option than Chris unless they really have made some off season strides. I suppose we shall see.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm
It s interesting that Choate said CM would not be getting a lot of reps in the spring. I would think a healthy, older CM would easily be the front runner for the starting job. Maybe he said that to motivate all involved with the competition. I know nothing about QB evaluation or what kind of offense coach Miller wants to run but I cannot imagine Rovig or Bauman being a better starting option than Chris unless they really have made some off season strides. I suppose we shall see.
He said that due to Chris's grades, he likely won't get a ton of playing time at the position during the spring.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm

seataccat wrote:
Last spring CM was easily the front runner and got the vast majority of the reps but in the end wasn't eligible. Coach Choate won't give CM many if any reps at QB until he is 'cleared' by the NCAA. After all, there are only so many practice reps available before we play Texas Tech, and between Rovig, Bauman, Beltran, possibly TA, and possibly a transfer we don't know about there isn't enough reps to give to CM until the NCAA says he's officially back.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm

seataccat wrote:
Coach also said that CM still has a lot of academic work to do, I too the academics as the reason he wouldn't get a lot of reps. may not be available for all sessions and meetings, thus fewer reps.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Homer9923
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Homer9923 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Aye!
Aye!
Aye.

I noticed when you watched the NDSU press conferences you could hear the questions being asked.

Not sure how hard it would be to place a couple of microphones in the press room ceiling and then provide that audio to anyone that requests it.