Kane Ioane DC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Kane Ioane DC

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 am

I think he's going to be great. I've said for years that MSU needs to time things right to get Kane to be the head coach someday. He just seems to have what it takes.

And I'm sold on the analyst route too. I know some people don't like the jump from analyst to DC, but the way FBS football is anymore, those guys are not second-tier by any means. I know I've said this before and it's a different sport, but Kurt Paulson was a head basketball coach for two years (six years ago) in Class B Montana. He was essentially an analyst (not an official coach) under Wayne Tinkle, but left there ready to lead Carroll into one of the best teams in the NAIA so far. Don't get tripped up by the analyst title. I don't see any reason why he can't be very effective at this level immediately. I loved Gregorak, but I think MSU just got better.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 am
I think he's going to be great. I've said for years that MSU needs to time things right to get Kane to be the head coach someday. He just seems to have what it takes.

And I'm sold on the analyst route too. I know some people don't like the jump from analyst to DC, but the way FBS football is anymore, those guys are not second-tier by any means. I know I've said this before and it's a different sport, but Kurt Paulson was a head basketball coach for two years (six years ago) in Class B Montana. He was essentially an analyst (not an official coach) under Wayne Tinkle, but left there ready to lead Carroll into one of the best teams in the NAIA so far. Don't get tripped up by the analyst title. I don't see any reason why he can't be very effective at this level immediately. I loved Gregorak, but I think MSU just got better.
AGREE!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am

I loved gregorak as well, I don't think we are better with Kane immediately but i don't think we will see a massive drop off like some are predicting.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am
I loved gregorak as well, I don't think we are better with Kane immediately but i don't think we will see a massive drop off like some are predicting.
Exactly. Being a DC under Ash and being a DC under Choate are two very different things. Choate eats, sleeps, and breathes defense (with some special teams thrown in there). I don't think Ash spent much time in the Defensive coaches room.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

Welcome back Kane! Choate gave you a great opportunity and you obviously excelled at it. Exposure to various cultures clarifies the strengths and weaknesses of each option. Kane now has a much bigger personal toolkit to work with and much better tools on the field. We are taking the next step with this move.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am
Exactly. Being a DC under Ash and being a DC under Choate are two very different things. Choate eats, sleeps, and breathes defense (with some special teams thrown in there). I don't think Ash spent much time in the Defensive coaches room.
I see even more differences than who the head coach is, though that's a big one. Not having to share the responsibility with somebody who has more experience (and is the head coach's "guy") is going to be huge too I believe. Add to that the experience he's gotten at one of the best programs in the Western US and the recruiting inroads he's made in that region (even though he wasn't officially a recruiter). Also, now he's Choate's "guy", which isn't a bad thing. They'll be on the same page about everything, whereas you have to think Choate and Gregorak had differing opinions on a few things--you don't get people with that much experience who see eye to eye on all of it. There's a lot to be said about synergy on a coaching staff--hopefully this crew has it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Kane is going to do great. If you are concerned about his experience, just look at NDSU’s recent hires at both Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator. Kane is arguably more experienced than either of them. The NDSU guys spent time coaching at high schools and lower divisions. Neither have a wow factor. And Kane is also older than either of them. The newly hired offensive coordinator at NAU only has 5 years of coaching experience and two were as a grad assistant in the PAC 12.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Whether it's Ty or Kane, we are going to play the defense that Choate wants us to. You can be assured of that.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

NO QUESTION!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm
These coaching staff additions accompany internal moves. Choate affirmed that Matt Miller remains as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with Kyle Risinger moving from safeties coach to cornerbacks, and he indicated the process of filling the defensive staff is underway. "We look to hire a veteran coach for our linebackers who will assist in raise this defense to a level of dominance."

Kane will coach safeties. Kyle will coach corners (already in the room with them anyway). Looking to add a "veteran" LB coach to fill out the staff. Before people throw out Roger Cooper's name, he is currently the defensive coordinator at ISU so that would be a step down. Jody Owens maybe? Bobby Daly laterally moving from Idaho? Dane Fletcher perhaps?
The other guy that crossed my mind was clay bignell. I think he’s currently a QC guy at Notre Dame.

I’d also like to think Joey Thomas is still in the mix.
Was Joey ever in the mix?
My mix? Yes.

Choate’s mix? I have no idea.
Joey will be on my show next week....He is not in the mix anymore, but we will cover that with him then...I can say he would LOVE to come back to MSU and Bozeman.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm
These coaching staff additions accompany internal moves. Choate affirmed that Matt Miller remains as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with Kyle Risinger moving from safeties coach to cornerbacks, and he indicated the process of filling the defensive staff is underway. "We look to hire a veteran coach for our linebackers who will assist in raise this defense to a level of dominance."

Kane will coach safeties. Kyle will coach corners (already in the room with them anyway). Looking to add a "veteran" LB coach to fill out the staff. Before people throw out Roger Cooper's name, he is currently the defensive coordinator at ISU so that would be a step down. Jody Owens maybe? Bobby Daly laterally moving from Idaho? Dane Fletcher perhaps?
The other guy that crossed my mind was clay bignell. I think he’s currently a QC guy at Notre Dame.

I’d also like to think Joey Thomas is still in the mix.
Was Joey ever in the mix?
My mix? Yes.

Choate’s mix? I have no idea.
Joey will be on my show next week....He is not in the mix anymore, but we will cover that with him then...I can say he would LOVE to come back to MSU and Bozeman.
Why aren't we bringing him in? Kid was a shutdown corner in college, did a stint in the NFL, and has had great success coaching Garfield High School.

Choates missing out not bringing JT back in my opinion.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 pm

I was a little reluctant to embrace Kane as DC but after reading some of the posts I have to agree Choate wanted Kane to learn at UW. Some type of agreement that he could come back as DC or Choate just decided a change needed to be made. I find it interesting that the OC and DC now are coaches that either played or was on the coaching staff for Chris Petersen. Starting to emulate the style of UW?

I think Kane will do well. Glad to have him back at MSU.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 pm
I was a little reluctant to embrace Kane as DC but after reading some of the posts I have to agree Choate wanted Kane to learn at UW. Some type of agreement that he could come back as DC or Choate just decided a change needed to be made. I find it interesting that the OC and DC now are coaches that either played or was on the coaching staff for Chris Petersen. Starting to emulate the style of UW?

I think Kane will do well. Glad to have him back at MSU.
I felt the same way but it does seem like Gregorak was pushed out so Kane could have the job. Choate doesn't do that unless Petersen says he's ready.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm

I think because Kane was such a stud at safety and we all remember him that way, we forget just how much coaching experience he has. His playing days are pushing two decades ago. He's coached since. The dude is more than ready. I think he had almost 5 years of coaching already in when our offensive coordinator was a senior in high school.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm
I think because Kane was such a stud at safety and we all remember him that way, we forget just how much coaching experience he has. His playing days are pushing two decades ago. He's coached since. The dude is more than ready. I think he had almost 5 years of coaching already in when our offensive coordinator was a senior in high school.
That's good perspective. Probably recruited Matt.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Some insight on Kane's lone season as Co-DC with Jamie Marshall from former players Devin Jeffries (DE) and Rocky Hogue (LS). Kane always had the support of the players.

Game they are referring to: http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /400795564.

A lot of "garbage" yards from ISU in the second half. I remember this game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Some insight on Kane's lone season as Co-DC with Jamie Marshall from former players Devin Jeffries (DE) and Rocky Hogue (LS). Kane always had the support of the players.

Game they are referring to: http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... /400795564.

^This

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 pm

https://ravallirepublic-com.cdn.ampproj ... 1.amp.html

Nice shout out to Kane from Singleton

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 pm

On a tangent, but I had forgotten Daly's kicking performance of 57,53, and 29 yards.